PDA

View Full Version : Mahan trade?

Steeldude
08-30-2008, 11:39 PM
http://www.theinsideronpittsburghsports.com

The Steelers have explored the trade market for Sean Mahan and Max Starks to clear some cap space. A source indicates the Steelers approached the Chicago Bears about Starks and indications are the Bears want nothing to do with Starks' salary. Sean Mahan could become an issue. There is some speculation coming from outsiders that Mahan is very unhappy and has privately demanded a trade. A Steelers source would not confirm this. If the Steelers are able to move Mahan it is a win-win situation for both sides. The Steelers will be able to clear some cap space and address other needs. I'm hearing the Steelers would like to add a veteran #4 cornerback, if they are able to free some cap space.

cutting or trading mahan provides $1,375,000 in cap room. (i believe that is correct)

IMO, a solid RT is a bigger need than a 4th a CB(of course RT's are a little more costly). willie anderson is available. he refused to take a pay-cut so the bengals cut him. perhaps he would be willing to play for a cheaper price due to the steelers being legit SB contenders. he is a 12 year vet without a ring. i couldn't see the steelers signing him for more than one year. if he was signed the steelers could slide colon into the RG spot. we all know what simmons is capable of.

it would be nice to trade starks.

oh well, some water cooler talk :smile:

43Hitman
08-30-2008, 11:45 PM
I wonder if that "veteran #4 cb" would be Delta O'Neal?

Steeldude
08-31-2008, 12:06 AM
I wonder if that "veteran #4 cb" would be Delta O'Neal?

why does that name sound so familiar. is that the CB from the broncos?

cubanstogie
08-31-2008, 12:18 AM
Quote:
The Steelers have explored the trade market for Sean Mahan and Max Starks to clear some cap space. A source indicates the Steelers approached the Chicago Bears about Starks and indications are the Bears want nothing to do with Starks' salary. Sean Mahan could become an issue. There is some speculation coming from outsiders that Mahan is very unhappy and has privately demanded a trade. A Steelers source would not confirm this. If the Steelers are able to move Mahan it is a win-win situation for both sides. The Steelers will be able to clear some cap space and address other needs. I'm hearing the Steelers would like to add a veteran #4 cornerback, if they are able to free some cap space.

I had to laugh when I read Mahan may be unhappy and want a trade. Talk about ungrateful. I don't know if its true but if it is, screw him. He is given a starting job with big money at a new postion and falls on his face. Now he wants to bail because he doesn't get starting nod. Steelers don't need a guy with character like that, especially when you could find better centers in Canada or the Pac 10. loooooooser, if its true.

Davison_K
08-31-2008, 01:46 AM

I thought he was a Bengal:noidea:

Steelman16
08-31-2008, 01:48 AM

Bengals.

Interesting. Mahan...if that's true, whatever. He's a cap calamity anyway. If we could find a replacement for Starks that'd be great. He's another big ouch.

steelreserve
08-31-2008, 02:36 AM
Mahan's not really worth anything to us right now, so even if we trade him for a draft pick and use it on an OL next year, that's a great move in my book.

We're probably stuck with Starks no matter what. We're paying him like he's one of the top 10 linemen in the league, and he's not even one of the top 50 linemen. Maybe not even one of the top 100. Even if he does well this year, he'll want more in an extension than we should ever pay him. Better for us to tell him good luck and use the cap space to figure out some other way to get a decent tackle.

wootawnee
08-31-2008, 02:42 AM
Man Max is gettin no love from the board........For a man who was the starting tackle for our superbowl season, there is a huge lack of respect.........Just because Tomlin is not starting him doesn't mean he is not the one for the job........I still think that Colon and coach are bro's n buds.... cause Max can play........I don't get it........Don't get me wrong.....I love Willie C. and his narly attitude and he takes on any defender after plays and stands up to them all, but max is huge .........They both should be playin in there somewhere........

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 05:13 AM
KFFL is saying that the Steelers are looking for trade partners for Mahan, Starks, ...and Essex.

steelwall
08-31-2008, 06:48 AM
Man Max is gettin no love from the board........For a man who was the starting tackle for our superbowl season, there is a huge lack of respect.........Just because Tomlin is not starting him doesn't mean he is not the one for the job........I still think that Colon and coach are bro's n buds.... cause Max can play........I don't get it........Don't get me wrong.....I love Willie C. and his narly attitude and he takes on any defender after plays and stands up to them all, but max is huge .........They both should be playin in there somewhere........

Yah Max has taken alot of flak but it's because of his recent playing. Noones down on him for no reason. You are right he has incredible size, but seems he is not using that size to dominate DL's. IMO he's too slow.

Aussie_steeler
08-31-2008, 06:50 AM
At this stage I am prepared to wait another day or two to see some official reports before I throw anyone under the bus.

Is Essex's name on that list because he is a UFA or RFA at the end of the season???

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 06:57 AM
At this stage I am prepared to wait another day or two to see some official reports before I throw anyone under the bus.

Is Essex's name on that list because he is a UFA or RFA at the end of the season???

I'm sure that has something to do with it...that and we wouldnt miss a beat without him.

Aussie_steeler
08-31-2008, 07:02 AM
It is already starting to look like this year may be the one where the FO tries to load up on draft picks for the next draft.

They may be needed to cover the number of Free agents that will be leaving from the O Line and bring some competition in for the D line vets.

43Hitman
08-31-2008, 07:15 AM

He was a Bronco before his last job with the Bengals.

MDSteel15
08-31-2008, 07:41 AM
O'Neal was both and even as a Bungal he was good. I could deal with it.

Galax Steeler
08-31-2008, 09:03 AM
It would be good to get some draft picks out of Starks and get rid of Mahan that is taking up space.

Texasteel
08-31-2008, 09:29 AM
It is already starting to look like this year may be the one where the FO tries to load up on draft picks for the next draft.

They may be needed to cover the number of Free agents that will be leaving from the O Line and bring some competition in for the D line vets.

I would love to have extra picks next year. There are several kids I've watched from last year that I like very much.

Glace
08-31-2008, 09:34 AM
That's just the thing though....with Max's huge salary....we're going to have to give up a lot to get rid of him. I wouldn't be surprised to see a fairly lowball draft pick if we trade him. 4th or 5th rounder.

Glace
08-31-2008, 09:35 AM
Mahan demanding a trade....if that's true....wow.

Bad character (i.e. not a team player) and a crappy o-lineman to boot.....yeah....he's going to get a LOT of interest...

pittsburghp8baller
08-31-2008, 09:36 AM
I thought he was a Bengal:noidea:

he has played with both, most recently with the bengals, started his career with the broncos.

i dont see us trading inside the division, even if it is just for backups. i wouldnt mind adding another corner for depth though

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 10:02 AM
Who are the FA OLinemen around the league at years end?

I think we may need to open up the purse for a top flight one this year coming.

Steeldude
08-31-2008, 10:10 AM
redskins released 31 year-old OT todd wade.

stillers4me
08-31-2008, 10:44 AM
O'Neal was both and even as a Bungal he was good. I could deal with it.

No way. Deltha O'Neal was the other Bungle in the car when Odel was arrested for DUI and Chris Henry was puking out the window. Ain't happening.

dunkuntou
08-31-2008, 10:50 AM
Get a draft pick for Mahan and sign Fernando Bryant if they want a veteran 4th corner. He isn't good enough to start for most teams but would be a great addition as a 4th corner.

As a side note they should sign Dre Moore and release Nick Eason or Orpheus Roye

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 11:54 AM
Get a draft pick for Mahan and sign Fernando Bryant if they want a veteran 4th corner. He isn't good enough to start for most teams but would be a great addition as a 4th corner.

As a side note they should sign Dre Moore and release Nick Eason or Orpheus Roye

Great call...I would take Moore and see if he can play DE, since the Bucs were using him at DT....(Not only did Tampa Bay cut a 4th rounder...but they TRADED UP for Moore)..also would take Bryant as a backup CB.

Very nice!!

RoethlisBURGHer
08-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Mahan is pissed off at the Steelers because he can't play well enough to be a starter?

Trade the bum, maybe we can get a 7th rounder for him.

fansince'76
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
There is some speculation coming from outsiders that Mahan is very unhappy and has privately demanded a trade.

"Speculation coming from outsiders" is just that, speculation from outsiders. It's not exactly the same as Faneca's very vocal bitching about being "underpaid." Sounds suspiciously like just another blogger on a "Mahan sucks" kick to me.

Texasteel
08-31-2008, 12:45 PM
Great call...I would take Moore and see if he can play DE, since the Bucs were using him at DT....(Not only did Tampa Bay cut a 4th rounder...but they TRADED UP for Moore)..also would take Bryant as a backup CB.

Very nice!!

I haven't looked at the other cuts yet and had no idea Moore got cut. I would be tickle to death to see that kid get a shot here. Remember there were several of us wanting him with our 3rd pick.

19ward86
08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
Starks needs to tell the bears he will redo his contract and mahan needs to go home.

El-Gonzo Jackson
08-31-2008, 04:34 PM
redskins released 31 year-old OT todd wade.

Funny how some people on this board thought the signing of Mahan and tagging of Starks were panic moves made by the front office and now both of them are trade bait:noidea:

I guess if they had just let Starks go via free agency there would be a compensatory draft pick due next season and enough $$ to sign a veteran RT like Willie Anderson or Todd Wade.

Oh well, I guess if there are no takers now, they can look to meet the trade demands of Mahan next season and Starks will give them some cap room then too.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 04:58 PM
I haven't looked at the other cuts yet and had no idea Moore got cut. I would be tickle to death to see that kid get a shot here. Remember there were several of us wanting him with our 3rd pick.

I see that Nick Hayden was let go also...he is another DT that I would try at DE.

lilyoder6
08-31-2008, 05:37 PM
i would like to dumb mahan and starks to get extra draft picks next yr and to free up some cap space

ChronoCross
08-31-2008, 10:53 PM
I hope we have a backup for hartwig if we get rid of mahan.. I do not like mahan and did not like the pickup in the first place. But they better pick up another center if they do trade off mahan. When you look at the definition of injury prone players, Hartwig is one of them. I admit Hartwig is a better choice at center then mahan, well who is not a better choice then mahan. If Hartwig stays healthy then all is good. Far as Starks goes, I still do not understand why they tagged a backup RT.

Well we still have Stapleton as a backup Center after mahan but he is a bit small at 285. I guess someone else could be moved at center since we still have yet to find a quality center since Hartings left. Pretty sad that we have always been known for great centers, but yet cannot find one to even do a good job yet.

ricksteelers55
09-01-2008, 12:27 AM
I hope we have a backup for hartwig if we get rid of mahan.. .

Simmons can play center,and I think that if we do get rid of Mahan which is the most likely scenario....and Hartwig gets hurt somehow this year....Stapleton would be our Center.If he isnt the man then Simmons would start at center and Colon might move to RG and the 7 million dollar man could start at RT.

but bottom line is id rather see the steelers getting rid of both Starks and Mahan but I know it's not gonna happen(well not for Starks that's for sure)

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 12:51 AM
Well we still have Stapleton as a backup Center after mahan but he is a bit small at 285. .

I think that was Stapleton's weight last season as a rookie. According to Tomlin, he is 310 lbs.

He is quietly a very effective football player,'' Tomlin said. "Sometimes you say he's a good little football player, but he's 310 pounds. He plays with great leverage. He's football smart. He has position flexibility.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08237/906741-66.stm

I believe the thought is that Hartwig is a better C and Stapleton has improved to the point he is just as good a backup as Mahan. Stapleton was a Rimmington Award finalist in college (best C in NCAA), so its not like he is some bum. I like his upside.

ChronoCross
09-01-2008, 02:06 AM
I think that was Stapleton's weight last season as a rookie. According to Tomlin, he is 310 lbs.

He is quietly a very effective football player,'' Tomlin said. "Sometimes you say he's a good little football player, but he's 310 pounds. He plays with great leverage. He's football smart. He has position flexibility.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08237/906741-66.stm

I believe the thought is that Hartwig is a better C and Stapleton has improved to the point he is just as good a backup as Mahan. Stapleton was a Rimmington Award finalist in college (best C in NCAA), so its not like he is some bum. I like his upside.

I hope he grooms out well then. Because we sure do need a quality center. Steelers Official site has him listed at 285..

Texasteel
09-01-2008, 06:18 AM
I see that Nick Hayden was let go also...he is another DT that I would try at DE.

Hayden was one we both liked quite a bit. Its going to be interesting to see if we make any moves along this line.

Galax Steeler
09-01-2008, 07:19 AM
Hopefully we can get someone for an upgrade as texasteel said Hayden would be worth a shot.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 10:49 AM
I hope he grooms out well then. Because we sure do need a quality center. Steelers Official site has him listed at 285..

I know. Like I said, I think that was his weight as a rookie last season and the crack staff at Steelers.com is probably too busy policing their website to update it.

NFL.com has Stapleton at 305 lbs and coach T said he was 310. He's gonna be a nice find like Keydrick Vincent was...only hopefully better.

Havik
09-01-2008, 11:02 AM
I don't see what they could possibly get out of trading Mahan. He has done nothing but suck since coming to the Steelers. Hartwig isn't much better. At this point I would go with Stapleton. What happened? This is an organization with a tradition of elite, pro-bowl centers and now we are stuck with bums like Mahan and Hartwig. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

fansince'76
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
What happened? This is an organization with a tradition of elite, pro-bowl centers and now we are stuck with bums like Mahan and Hartwig. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

Looks like our luck finally ran out.

Havik
09-01-2008, 11:24 AM
I hope we pick Alex Mack in next years draft.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-01-2008, 11:26 AM
I don't see what they could possibly get out of trading Mahan. He has done nothing but suck since coming to the Steelers. Hartwig isn't much better. At this point I would go with Stapleton. What happened? This is an organization with a tradition of elite, pro-bowl centers and now we are stuck with bums like Mahan and Hartwig. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

Mahan may be better suited for a zone blocking scheme...a team like Denver may be able to maximize his value.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Hayden was one we both liked quite a bit. Its going to be interesting to see if we make any moves along this line.

Time to start the Hayden/Moore signing drive!!!!:tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 12:05 PM
This is an organization with a tradition of elite, pro-bowl centers and now we are stuck with bums like Mahan and Hartwig. It really doesn't get much worse than that.

Hartwig actually isnt a bum. Watch the Steelers vs. Titans AFC playoff game from around 2003 where Joe Nedney takes a dive and gets a rekick to win the game. Hartwig was the starting center and played really well on a team that made it to the AFC championship game.

Just because he isnt a pro bowler and you havent seen him play before doesnt make him a bum. Mahan too can play in the right system....but I dont think this is it.

DACEB
09-01-2008, 12:40 PM

You and me both! I like the thought of KemoLG, StapletonC and ColonRG for the future. If Hills can make a leap in strength and technique to play RT in a couple of years we're somewhat set. Who's playing LT next year?:doh:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-01-2008, 12:48 PM
You and me both! I like the thought of KemoLG, StapletonC and ColonRG for the future. If Hills can make a leap in strength and technique to play RT in a couple of years we're somewhat set. Who's playing LT next year?:doh:

John Kuhn?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 12:58 PM

Ya know....Hills has good feet, size, but just doesnt have a good punch and strength this season. I honestly belive a year in the weight room and he could maybe play RT NEXT SEASON.

I'm a fan of giving Marvel Smith a contract extension to play LT, but doubt that it will happen, so probably gonna look for a vet in the offseason and draft a future LT next year too.

tyler289
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
I like Stapleton's upside at center and think Hartwig is a solid C for the timebeing (at least better than Mahan).

If Hartwig plays well and/or Stapleton shows he can start next year, that may be one need we can cross off in the draft, and focus on DL and the tackle position.

Pittsburghfan
09-01-2008, 01:35 PM
the *'s just signed Deltha O'Neal so he isn't the #4 corner . MSN said he signed with them.

HometownGal
09-01-2008, 04:12 PM
Looks like our luck finally ran out.

I think this is where some of the issues lie with Steelers fans. We've had 4 HOF/Pro Bowl/legendary centers in a row in Mansfield, Iron Mike, Dawson and Hartings and those cleats are going to be near impossible to fill so soon after Hartings' retirement 2 seasons ago. Many Steelers fans have come to expect greatness at that position and Mahan and Hartwig don't even come close. I hope Hartwig can get us through this season at C (though I'm not holding my breath), this vital position can be addressed in next year's draft and both Mahan and Hartwig can be sent packing. I had hoped the Steelers would give Mahan a fair shot at securing one of the G slots, but that doesn't appear to be in the cards, so :wave:

lilyoder6
09-01-2008, 04:17 PM
yeah i saw that just a lil bit ago.. even if we get a 3rd, 4th pick 4 mahan we could end up w/ a good o/d lineman

jjpro11
09-01-2008, 04:22 PM
yeah i saw that just a lil bit ago.. even if we get a 3rd, 4th pick 4 mahan we could end up w/ a good o/d lineman

no way we could get that for mahan.. if anything it would probably be a 5th, or a 6th.. both of which are projected to be in the 20s or 30s selection of the round.

fansince'76
09-02-2008, 05:07 PM
No longer speculation - here is a new thread on the actual trade: http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26883.

Thanks.