PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 01:09 PM
Steelers Sign Eight to Practice Squad

PITTSBURGH ― The Steelers signed eight players to their practice squad today in addition to a ninth player who will remain with the team throughout the 2008 season as part of the NFL’s international player development program.

Each of the eight players added to the Steelers’ practice squad were in training camp with the team this summer. All NFL teams were able to sign a maximum of eight players to their practice squad beginning at noon today.

The players signed by the Steelers include: LB Patrick Bailey, CB Roy Lewis, S Grant Mason, OT Jeremy Parquet, DT Scott Paxson, WR Micah Rucker, TE Dezmond Sherrod and RB Justin Vincent.

Wide receiver Marvin Allen was also designated to the team’s practice squad as a part of the NFL’s international player development program.

http://news.steelers.com/article/94875/

ricksteelers55
08-31-2008, 01:15 PM
good news to me...very excited we've been able to keep CB Lewis,WR Rucker,OL Parquet and TE Sherrod

I think we're pretty set at WR for a couple of years with Ward(still has 2-3 yrs left IMO),Holmes,Sweed,Baker,Rucker and maybe Washington if he re-signs at the end of the year

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 01:17 PM
I am surprised that there isnt at least one more D-Lineman on the squad.

The Duke
08-31-2008, 01:21 PM
so all defensive ends all failed. that sucks. DE is definitely a draft need next year

at least lewis stays:thumbsup:

surprised they kept Justin Vincent with four running backs already on the roster....

steeltheone
08-31-2008, 01:26 PM
Surprised about the back also. Heck if injuries happen just call in verron haynes.

ricksteelers55
08-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Surprised about the back also. Heck if injuries happen just call in verron haynes.

well like you im surprised too...we dont need RB Vincent it's a waste spot

there is Haynes and even Dookie in the FA that would be more than happy to come here if and only IF Parker and Mendenhall get injured which i hope wont happen

and by the way....what's happening to LB Humpal,S Mundy ? DE McBean ? I guess they are all heading to Arizona to help em create the Arizona Mini-Steelers with whiz and grimm

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 01:33 PM
so all defensive ends all failed. that sucks. DE is definitely a draft need next year

surprised they kept Justin Vincent with four running backs already on the roster....

Makes you wonder if he doesnt have some special team skills that the front office thinks they may need...(just in case)

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 01:34 PM
well like you im surprised too...we dont need RB Vincent it's a waste spot

there is Haynes and even Dookie in the FA that would be more than happy to come here if and only IF Parker and Mendenhall get injured which i hope wont happen

and by the way....what's happening to LB Humpal,S Mundy ? DE McBean ? I guess they are all heading to Arizona to help em create the Arizona Mini-Steelers with whiz and grimm

Humpal and Mundy were given injury settlement waivers..McBean was given up on.

tyler289
08-31-2008, 04:36 PM
Surprised Vincent was kept.

lilyoder6
08-31-2008, 04:40 PM
no!!!!! i want humpql and mundy!

KeiselPower99
08-31-2008, 04:52 PM
No Legursky?????? Damn.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 04:53 PM
No Legursky?????? Damn.

I saw alot of this years Center crop on the cutting block...not a good year for that position.

GBMelBlount
08-31-2008, 05:23 PM
I saw alot of this years Center crop on the cutting block...not a good year for that position.

...and after such long tradition of top shelf centers.....Well, time to go dumpster diving fellas. :idea:

millwalldavey
08-31-2008, 05:34 PM
The Mundy loss is a shame.

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 05:35 PM
...and after such long tradition of top shelf centers.....Well, time to go dumpster diving fellas. :idea:

The Bengals cut a center?

4n2t0
08-31-2008, 06:03 PM
The Steelers will probably sign a TE, so things are liable to change.

GBMelBlount
08-31-2008, 06:32 PM
The Bengals cut a center?

If they do, I'm sure we can have Stillers4me do the reconnaissance in Dumpstaville, she's already steeped in it. :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
08-31-2008, 06:41 PM
If they do, I'm sure we can have Stillers4me do the reconnaissance in Dumpstaville, she's already steeped in it. :chuckle:

Oh Yea!! She lives in Cincy....that stinks. (literally :chuckle:)

lilyoder6
08-31-2008, 06:51 PM
come back to us mundy.. :(

Steelman16
09-01-2008, 12:00 AM
Is Mundy and Humpal gone for good? I thought injury settlement meant they could be resigned later?

I hope we don't lose Mundy. I was really high on that kid...

tony hipchest
09-01-2008, 12:20 AM
mundy and humpal were absolutely great (on paper).

but obviously they werent able to show the coaches nothing with their injuries. perhaps they were lazy with rehab. perhaps other players ahead of them on the depth chard were years ahead in grasping the concepts of the playbook.

personally i thought they were being held back in preseason games with thoughts that they were nothing more than practics squad players and with hopes of not giv ing any other teams film to look at.

they can always be signed to the squad when healthy. any other team who looks at them is truly desperate.

"it is what it is."

Galax Steeler
09-01-2008, 06:00 AM
I was surprised not to see Reed on the practice squad he would have been a good fill in for an injury.

Havik
09-01-2008, 09:43 AM
I'm glad they signed Patrick Bailey, he looked really good on special teams. Lewis and Parquet also looked good during preseason. Sadly no Doug Legursky, I was hoping he would make the team.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 09:51 AM
No Legursky?????? Damn.

I was a Legursky backer, but after watching him in the preseason games .....he wasnt worth signing to the Practice Squad. He got pushed around by the opposing 3rd string DT's often.

Havik
09-01-2008, 10:27 AM
Legursky would have been a project, but he is strong and durable. He never missed a game at Marshall. IMO he would be worth keeping over Mahan, with Hartwig starting and Stapleton as backup.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-01-2008, 11:16 AM
Legursky would have been a project, but he is strong and durable. He never missed a game at Marshall. IMO he would be worth keeping over Mahan, with Hartwig starting and Stapleton as backup.

I know, the guy has size, strength and apparently is a weight room rat. Problem is after watching all 4 preseason games are rewinding on my PVR to isolate the progress of Legursky, Hills, Parquet and Stapleton..........Legursky was terrible.

I dont understand how a guy with his physical tools could be so bad. Legursky was probably the worst of the 3rd string O line that played in front of Dixon in the preseason.

Parquet on the other hand was very impressive and I like him being on the PS.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-01-2008, 11:54 AM
I know, the guy has size, strength and apparently is a weight room rat. Problem is after watching all 4 preseason games are rewinding on my PVR to isolate the progress of Legursky, Hills, Parquet and Stapleton..........Legursky was terrible.

I dont understand how a guy with his physical tools could be so bad. Legursky was probably the worst of the 3rd string O line that played in front of Dixon in the preseason.

Parquet on the other hand was very impressive and I like him being on the PS.

I agree...I loved him as a project...but he seemed to have a serious leverage problem...He was getting walked back into the pocket...and even sometimes was chicken-winging rushers.

Too bad.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-01-2008, 10:18 PM

There seems to be a little depth in the draft too for DE.

lilyoder6
09-01-2008, 10:28 PM
i think that mundy was a player that we should of kept.. b4 he got injured he ws playing good hard football.. and if healthy during pre-season could have made some big plays, big hits and taken over carter's spot.. hopefully when he gets better they re-sign him/ put him on the PS