PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Name Four Team Captains

stillers4me
09-01-2008, 05:01 PM
Steelers Name Four Team Captains

PITTSBURGH ―The Steelers selected four players today to serve as team captains for the 2008 season. Two new players and two holdovers from the 2007 season were selected by a vote of their teammates.

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger was named a team captain for the first time in his five-year career, and will serve as an offensive co-captain along with wide receiver Hines Ward. Ward was voted a team captain for the fourth consecutive season after earning the honor in 2006-07.

Inside linebacker James Farrior was named the teamís defensive captain for the fifth consecutive season in his seven years with the Steelers (2004-08). He served as defensive co-captain from 2004-06.

Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was voted the teamís special teams captain for the first time in his career. Reed, now in his seventh NFL season, joined the steelers as a rookie free agent in 2002 and currently ranks third on the teamís all-time scoring list with 616 points.

http://news.steelers.com/article/95255/

Havik
09-01-2008, 05:10 PM
Congrats to Ben, he deserves it.

tony hipchest
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
and props to jeff reed too. not only did he lead the league in fg % (his only 2 misses being a 65 yarder in denver and a 40+ yarder vs miami in the slop) but it appears his cellphone pics of his stick being spread on the internet only bought him respect amongst his peers. :thumbsup:

:banana:

(nice to see the guys doing the right thing and backing ben AND hines)

stillers4me
09-01-2008, 05:32 PM
and props to jeff reed too. not only did he lead the league in fg % (his only 2 misses being a 65 yarder in denver and a 40+ yarder vs miami in the slop) but it appears his cellphone pics of his stick being spread on the internet only bought him respect amongst his peers. :thumbsup:

:banana:

(nice to see the guys doing the right thing and backing ben AND hines)

Wow....I missed that pic. :yikes:

Edit: Gotta love Google. "Safe search is off". :chuckle:

lilyoder6
09-01-2008, 05:37 PM
i must of missed that one too.. what a disturbing thought :puke:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-01-2008, 09:51 PM
Awesome, this just proves how much of a leader Ben Roethlisberger has become.

GAME MANAGER MY ARSE!

MACH1
09-01-2008, 09:56 PM
Glad to see that Ben's comfortable with a leadership roll.

Congrats guys.

OX1947
09-01-2008, 10:07 PM
UGh, They are going to have to wear those lame arse C's on their jerseys?!

millwalldavey
09-01-2008, 10:25 PM
Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was voted the teamís special teams captain for the first time in his career. Reed, now in his seventh NFL season, joined the steelers as a rookie free agent in 2002 and currently ranks third on the teamís all-time scoring list with 616 points.

Personally, I think a ST captain should get some dirt on his shirt and get hit now and then.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I was thinking maybe Tyrone Carter and Anthony Smith would be excellent diplomats.

:m16:

Preacher
09-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Wait..

I thought Ben sucked... and wasn't liked by his teammates... wasn't it proof seeing as how he didn't get the MVP last year? :hunch:

:chuckle:

fansince'76
09-02-2008, 12:01 AM
Wait..

I thought Ben sucked... and wasn't liked by his teammates... wasn't it proof seeing as how he didn't get the MVP last year? :hunch:

:chuckle:

"Saint Ben" doesn't grant autographs to kids without "boobs" either! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

pittsburghp8baller
09-02-2008, 12:12 AM
couldnt think of 4 more deserving people on the team than them

Galax Steeler
09-02-2008, 04:28 AM
I was thinking maybe Tyrone Carter and Anthony Smith would be excellent diplomats.

:m16:

I don't see how we could have overlooked them.:toofunny::toofunny:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2008, 04:31 AM
Steelers Notebook: Team elects Roethlisberger, Reed to join list of captains
Tuesday, September 02, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Ben Roethlisberger made his first Pro Bowl last season, set the Steelers' record with 32 touchdown passes and made it three postseason appearances in his four years as their starting quarterback.

Yesterday, he reached another milestone that meant something even more personal when his teammates elected him one of two captains of their offense.

"It's awesome because it comes from them," Roethlisberger said. "I've always tried to be a leader, whether I was captain or not. I'll just continue to be who I am and try to lead this team to victories."

Wide receiver Hines Ward again was selected a captain of the offense along with Roethlisberger. James Farrior again was selected captain of the defense. Like Roethlisberger, kicker Jeff Reed was selected a first-time captain of the special teams.

"It's a great honor, not only to be a captain but captain of this team," Reed said. "It's tougher for a kicker or punter to be in a situation like that. It shows a lot of respect from my teammates, so it's a great feeling."

Foote returns to first team
Another great feeling came at inside linebacker, where Larry Foote returned with the first team in practice after missing last week with a knee injury.

Even Foote expressed doubt, in the spring, that he would remain the starting mack linebacker after the coaches put 2007 first-round draft choice Lawrence Timmons behind him.

"I never doubted myself," Foote said. "You know, I'm quite sure he's going to play."

Timmons will open the season as the linebacker in the nickel defense next to Farrior on the inside.

Batch understands plight
Quarterback Charlie Batch did not want to go on injured reserve and end his season, but he said the Steelers did not have much choice.

Batch's right collarbone was broken in the preseason opener Aug. 8, and he had surgery the following week. He was at least a month from being able to play.

"There's not much I could do at this point," Batch said. "That was the goal, to play. That's why we did the surgery, to try to speed everything up. There was just an unknown when I would be ready to go.

"I wanted to play, but that choice wasn't there. Obviously, they were not going to keep four quarterbacks. It came down to a numbers game and what they had to do that was best for this organization."

The Steelers wanted Batch around the team this year to help backup Byron Leftwich and rookie Dennis Dixon, among other things. He also serves as the team's player representative. His contract expires after this season, and Batch would like to return to them in 2009.

"I would like to think that. All I can do is get ready, get healthy, get a chance to come back right and know there won't be any problems in the future. That's the positive part. The negative part is my contract's up, so anything can play out over the next six months. If I'm ready to go, I think I'll be here."

A different approach
Rookie halfback Rashard Mendenhall, who lost his third fumble in the past two games Thursday, won't have to carry a football around with him this week.

Some veterans made Mendenhall carry the ball last week after he lost two fumbles in an Aug. 23 preseason game at Minnesota. Anyone who could knock the ball from his grasp during the week was supposed to be paid $100 by the rookie.

Now, his teammates just want him to forget about it.

"We're going to get it off his mind," Willie Parker said.

"He's starting to think about it way too much. So that ball and stuff and carrying it around -- don't even bring up fumbling around him. He's thinking about it way too much instead of going out and just playing the game."

Quick hits
Ward will serve as the backup holder on place-kicks to new punter Mitch Berger. ... The players have off today, when coach Mike Tomlin holds his first live broadcast news conference of the season.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08246/908701-66.stm

HometownGal
09-02-2008, 07:39 AM
It's an honor to be selected by the team to be a captain! Kudos! :drink:

Charlie has taken the team's decision to place him on IR with such class! Here's to your recovery Charlie! :drink:

Elvis
09-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Congrats to Ben, he deserves it.

I agree with that... good post Havik and welcome to steelersfever...

:hatsoff:

Elvis
09-02-2008, 06:20 PM
Quick hits
Ward will serve as the backup holder on place-kicks to new punter Mitch Berger. ... The players have off today, when coach Mike Tomlin holds his first live broadcast news conference of the season.

Mr Lambert, I have thought all along that the steelers should get Dennis Dixon in there to hold on XP's and FG's... would that not put the thought of a fake at anytime especially on FG's? I wish the Steelers would try it and if it works out that would be something to make the opposition's special teams coaches to worry about..
:helmet:

X-Terminator
09-02-2008, 06:38 PM
"Saint Ben" doesn't grant autographs to kids without "boobs" either! :toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

His teammates apparently don't like him very much either, which is why they named James Harrison the MVP last season! :toofunny::rofl: