Former Bengals RB Johnson scooped up quickly by Lions
Associated Press

Rudi Johnson, RB
Detroit Lions
2007 Statistics
Carries: 170
Yards: 497
Touchdowns: 3
ALLEN PARK, Mich. -- Rudi Johnson wasn't out of a job for long.

The former Bengals running back signed a one-year deal with the Lions on Monday, hours after working out for the team, reports NFL Network's Adam Schefter. Johnson was released by the Bengals on Saturday.

The 28-year-old Johnson missed most of training camp with the Bengals because of a hamstring injury and was cut Saturday.

He ran for a team-record 1,458 yards in 2005 and 1,300-plus yards the next season. But hamstring problems limited him to nine starts and a 2.9-yard average last year, and the injury has lingered.

Cincinnati drafted him in the fourth round of the 2001 NFL draft, and he ran for 5,742 yards and 48 touchdowns with the Bengals.

Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Steelman16
09-02-2008, 12:51 AM
Well, I'm sure he's glad he got out of the Cincinnati trash pit.

The Duke
09-02-2008, 01:53 AM
the lions had like 2 backs on their roster. they needed another one

rudi could fit here. rookie kevin smith should see a lot of work, but rudi can help in his development

seems like a smart move by the lions. wow, smart- lions, you don't see that everyday :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-02-2008, 04:39 AM
If he can stay healthy he should be able to help them out in detroit and help the younger backs.

stillers4me
09-02-2008, 08:22 AM
Rudi was one of the good ones in Cinci. He did alot in the community. I hope he thrives in a new environment. Good luck, Rudi!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-02-2008, 08:30 AM
Rudi was one of the good ones in Cinci. He did alot in the community. I hope he thrives in a new environment. Good luck, Rudi!

Well then...that explains why he was cut!!

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, he'll be a decent mentor for Smith (who I expect to be a really good NFL back, in the mold of Shawn Alexander)

SCSTILLER
09-03-2008, 02:02 PM
"[Newly signed Lions running back Rudi] Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen's office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team. So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped. Enter the eye in the sky. The team checked the videotapes generated by the team's in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit. So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived."

Now this is humurous!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/football/nfl/specials/preview/2008/09/02/kickoff.countdown/index.html

revefsreleets
09-03-2008, 04:41 PM
Rudi will feel right at home if his bag was stolen. Miscreants, reprobates and naer-do-wells make Rudi feel like he's back in Cinci...

steelreserve
09-03-2008, 05:29 PM
Well, I'm sure he's glad he got out of the Cincinnati trash pit.

He was probably faking it just to get out of there. His hamstring is fine.

xfl2001fan
09-03-2008, 05:43 PM
Sadly enough, the bags were returned, less 200 dollars, credit cards and a few other minor items along those lines.

Bell is claiming it was honest mistake, that he was picking the bags up for another prior player (then turned them into that players girlfriend).

Poor guy...he goes from one shoddily run organization in a dirty city to another shoddily run organization in a dirty city.

The Duke
09-03-2008, 05:56 PM
"[Newly signed Lions running back Rudi] Johnson left his bags outside CEO Matt Millen's office while he met with team officials and, ultimately, worked out a deal with the team. So when Johnson came back to get his bags, they were nowhere to be found. Johnson and Millen were stumped. Enter the eye in the sky. The team checked the videotapes generated by the team's in-house surveillance system, and they quickly identified the culprit. So who might it have been? None other than Tatum Bell, who lost his gig with the Lions after Rudi arrived."

hmm....you would think rudi's used to this kind of things happening with his teammates in cincinatti :chuckle:

Poor guy...he goes from one shoddily run organization in a dirty city to another shoddily run organization in a dirty city.

hey at least it's not cincy anymore. and, he doesn't have to face the steelers anymore so he must be jumping in joy

xfl2001fan
09-03-2008, 07:59 PM
hey at least it's not cincy anymore. and, he doesn't have to face the steelers anymore so he must be jumping in joy

I am thinking that the Minnesota defense will limit how high he jumps.