PDA

View Full Version : Chad Johnson Coy About Name Change

SteelersMongol
09-02-2008, 01:26 AM
CINCINNATI (AP) -Receiver Chad Johnson declined to say Monday whether he will try to get the Cincinnati Bengals to put "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his uniform this season.

Johnson had his last name legally changed to "Ocho Cinco" - the moniker he gave himself based on his No. 85 - last week in Florida, where he lives. He declined to talk to reporters on Monday about the reason for it.

Asked if he would try to get it on his jersey for the season opener at Baltimore, Johnson said, "It don't matter what it says. It don't matter. If it ain't about the Ravens, I don't want to talk."

The Bengals have declined to comment on the name change.

Johnson caught 93 passes for 1,440 yards last season, when his relationship with local fans soured over his attention-getting antics during games. He tried to maneuver the Bengals into trading him in the offseason, but failed. Ankle surgery slowed him at the start of training camp, and he injured his left shoulder during the second preseason game against Detroit.

With all that has gone on in the offseason, Johnson said he needs to have a big season.

"I've got to be super-extra focused," he said. "I have a lot of making up to do to a lot of people - not only my teammates, coaches, you know, from the top all the way down. I (angered) a lot of people all offseason with some of my - most people call them antics."

Since making the playoffs in 2005, the Bengals have slipped to 8-8 and 7-9 the past two seasons. Johnson made himself a focal point last season with the way he fussed at quarterback Carson Palmer after an interception against New England, a turnover that the receiver eventually acknowledged was his fault for running the wrong route.

"I'm going to fuss again if we lose," Johnson said. "Nothing has changed. But I'm here, so my motive and my focus have to change. I said what I said. I've said my peace, and now I'm here. Now I have to shut up and put up. I'm not going to shut up, but I'm going to put up."

http://sports.excite.com/news/09012008/v0440.html

Oh man, this man does sound like one poor confused soul. :chuckle:

ShutDown24
09-02-2008, 04:07 AM
In my opinion, Chad is probably upset about his name change being out there. Obviously this is an unrealistic dream, but in his mind he probably would have had his name changed, come out onto the field opening day wearing "Ocho Cinco" on the back of his jersey, havingi t been a big surprise.

Galax Steeler
09-02-2008, 04:41 AM
There was no way he was going to make it to the start of the season without his new name leaking out to the media.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:04 AM
Does he realize that ocho cinco means 8-5, not 85?

What am I saying, of course he doesn't, he's a moron!

Mosca
09-02-2008, 09:10 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/Mosca/random-37.jpg

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:18 AM
Poor jackass!

stlrtruck
09-02-2008, 10:24 AM
Poor jackass!

Yeah really how could anyone compare the jackass to chad johnson!!!

steelreserve
09-02-2008, 12:03 PM
Does he realize that ocho cinco means 8-5, not 85?

What am I saying, of course he doesn't, he's a moron!

Well, yeah, but in his defense "Ochenta y Cinco" just doesn't have the same ring to it. That sounds about as cool as talking about refried beans.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Maybe now he is realizing how monumentally stupid it was to change his last name from Johnson to Ocho Cinco.

His coach is probally pissed, the team is probally pissed, and most of all his family is probally pissed.

Steelman16
09-02-2008, 06:02 PM
Eh, he'll get over it and go back to being the Chad we all know and love.

:chuckle:

steelwall
09-02-2008, 07:07 PM
I couldnt disrespect my family name by changing it.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Johnson was his "slave name" anyway...this is his version of "Chad X"

beSteelmyheart
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
Silly man. Oh well, someone has to stir something up on that loser team. All Rosie Palmer does is complain.:blah:

bassbone57
09-06-2008, 05:15 PM
Does anyone else get the feeling that nobody ever paid attention to him as a kid?:blah:

Oh well. As long as he remains a distraction there, all the better for us.

-K

SteelersMongol
09-07-2008, 12:02 AM
Does anyone else get the feeling that nobody ever paid attention to him as a kid?...

:toofunny:

Haiku_Dirtt
09-07-2008, 03:55 AM
Bojangles.

If he could quit football he would. But he can't. And the further the Hall Of Fame is for him the more desperate (and pathetic) he'll get. And who cares why?

stillers4me
09-07-2008, 08:21 AM
Now he's getting attention on the nation news.

I hope the sh$tbag gets jacked up everytime he walks on the field today.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
from profootball.com why doesn't this surprise me what an absolute ass.

-------------------
Multiple sources tell us that Bengals receiver Chad Johnson could keep his new surname — Ochocinco — for only one year.

One source says that Johnson has planned all along to use the name change as a one-season stunt. Apparently, the prospect of limiting the alternate moniker to one year also could help the NFL, Johnson, and Reebok resolve that matter of roughly $800,000 worth of unsold “C. Johnson” jerseys.

If Johnson will be “Ocho Cinco” for only a year, Reebok can put the “C. Johnson” shirts in mothballs and then wait until 2009 to put them back on shelves, when Chad Johnson is “C. Johnson” again.

In the interim, Reebok can sell a bunch of “Ocho Cinco” jerseys to unsuspecting suckers who think that Johnson will be “Ocho Cinco” for the rest of his career.

The only problem with this approach? The judge who granted the request to change the name might not be happy to hear that it was a sideshow gag. So when Johnson tries to explain next year that he has had a genuine change of heart and that he wants his given name back, the judge might politely tell Mr. Ochocinco that he’s full of crap.

For now, we’re told that the one-season duration of the name change is a possibility, but not definite. That said, it’s definitely a mess.

Steelman16
09-11-2008, 12:45 AM
:toofunny:

And the show goes on!

augustashark
09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
I'd love to see HUGH on the back of his jersey.

dgNREzBAnY4