PDA

View Full Version : Sweed

PalmerSteel
09-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Speaking at his weekly press conference on Tuesday, coach Mike Tomlin was not ready to give the team's No. 4 receiver spot to Sweed. i guess the coach does see a problem with his drops.

stlrtruck
09-02-2008, 12:48 PM
At least the coach isn't blinded by the fact that he was a #2 pick. Instead he's doing what's best for the team.

How many times have we seen players starting that should have been benched only because of who they were?

lilyoder6
09-02-2008, 03:18 PM
i think that sweed will still get the nod.. i mean they both of had drops but sweed has had more better catches than baker

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2008, 03:44 PM
Yeah, Sweed is still a guy that has only been around for what.......6-weeks of training camp??

Baker is in year 2 and I wouldnt be surprised to see him dress as the #4 WR while the rookie Sweed is inactive on gameday.

Preacher
09-02-2008, 04:01 PM
Yeah, Sweed is still a guy that has only been around for what.......6-weeks of training camp??

Baker is in year 2 and I wouldnt be surprised to see him dress as the #4 WR while the rookie Sweed is inactive on gameday.

Heck...

who's to say he doesn't drive 5 receivers at points this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2008, 04:23 PM
Heck...

who's to say he doesn't drive 5 receivers at points this year.

He might. I am just thinking of who will be the 8 to sit, as you can only dress 45 I believe.

Davis, Woods, Dixon(emergency QB), Hills, Russell, Eason, Gay.....???? I just think if your #5 WR cant cover or return kicks, he will end up inactive.

PalmerSteel
09-02-2008, 04:32 PM
if sweed does end up being inactive for more than the first game or 2, i dont care how anyone wants to say it, slice it, make excuses, twist it, whatever, thats a big disapointment for a 2nd round draft pick for a skilled position player. not saying bust yet, but thats far more worse a situation than timmon's from last year.

Elvis
09-02-2008, 05:14 PM
nice post Steel, I agree with ya there also.

I have just seen several drops by Sweed that concern me a lilttle with him being that he just had the surgery on his eyes to help him out. Maybe its just taking a little for adjustments for that... I dunno. But all in all I think the Steelers have got to have him at the 4 spot... no way no how he shouldnt be in there, but I really dont see him unseating Nate Washington this season
:coffee:

fansince'76
09-02-2008, 05:15 PM

I have just seen several drops by Sweed that concern me a lilttle with him being that he just had the surgery on his eyes to help him out. Maybe its just taking a little for adjustments for that... I dunno. But all in all I think the Steelers have got to have him at the 4 spot... no way no how he shouldnt be in there, but I really dont see him unseating Nate Washington this season

I missed the game against Carolina - all I had was a radio feed. Were they hitting him in the hands and he was simply dropping them or was he trying to catch them with his body and they were bouncing out?

Hannity_on_Holmes
09-02-2008, 05:19 PM
Steelers coaches have always struck me as men of respect...

if u baker outperforms sweed. he gets the higher spot.
but im pretty disappointed in sweed thus far. he has been getting a bit of hype which i thought would yield better.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2008, 05:35 PM
I missed the game against Carolina - all I had was a radio feed. Were they hitting him in the hands and he was simply dropping them or was he trying to catch them with his body and they were bouncing out?

Not really. He had one big drop where he looked to run before catching the ball.....typical rookie mistake. I guess if he made the catch, got up and spiked the ball, then most would say it was OK and he would be a pro bowl WR in the future :chuckle:

As for Sweed being a wasted pick if he doesnt dress for half the season.....that logic confuses me :noidea:

Woodley was a 2nd rounder that did nothing last season, in fact....have a look at the 2nd picks taken since 2000 and some panned out, some didnt, with only Randle El and Kendrell Bell playing much as rookies.

2000- Marvel Smith
2001- Kendrell Bell
2002- Randle El
2003-Alonzo Jackson
2004-Colclough
2005-Bryant McFadden
2006-Anthony Smith
2007- Lamaar Woodley

stillers4me
09-02-2008, 05:40 PM
I think we should give the kid alittle more than a couple of preseason games before we hang him out dry. :doh:

VTsteel
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
Woodley was a 2nd rounder that did nothing last season,
2007- Lamaar Woodley

Woodley did nothing last season? I must've missed something because (from what I saw) when he got onto the field last year he was a terror!

:tt:

cubanstogie
09-02-2008, 06:29 PM
I think we should give the kid alittle more than a couple of preseason games before we hang him out dry. :doh:

Exactly, wait until he grasps the offense and where he is supposed to be, and has some time to practice with Ben before we get down on the kid. Mendenhall has had his problems as well. Rookies rarely perform from the get go. Ben spoiled us and raised the bar. The good thing is we don't need him to step in and carry the load right away. With Hines as a mentor this kid should develop into a solid receiver. Hopefully he has a better work ethic and mentality than Plaxico does.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2008, 06:42 PM
Woodley did nothing last season? I must've missed something because (from what I saw) when he got onto the field last year he was a terror!

:tt:

Woodley- 13 games, 14 tackles, 4 sacks

I dont know if I call a tackle a game average for the season ........"a terror!"

Have a look at another rookie that got injured after 3 games with twice as many tackles in 1/4 the time.

Paul Posluszny- 3 games, 26 tackles, 0 sacks

My point is exactly what others here are saying. Let's not write off Sweed just yet, since most 2nd round rookies often take a season or 2 to develop.

Edman
09-02-2008, 06:54 PM
We were spoiled by Ben, definately.

If Sweed doesn't have that non-TD catch in the preseason game(Butt fell out of bounds), this wouldn't be an issue right now. God, at least we gave Willie Reid a shot (several in fact) before we cut him loose.

Rookies like Ben in 2004 and Randy Moss in 1998 are once in a lifetime athletes.

VTsteel
09-02-2008, 06:58 PM
Posluszny was a starter for the Bills and Woodley was a back up who didn't get 1st team reps or a lot of playing time.

Also, Wood got 4 sacks and forced a fumble and stayed healthy - What did Posluszny do? Right he got hurt.

Don't get me wrong - I think Posluszny has tremendous potential for a middle linebacker - But I'll take wood at the ouside linebacker spot anyday!

Black@Gold Forever32
09-02-2008, 07:04 PM
First round rookie WRs have a history of struggling their rookie years...No shock to me there is some adjustment period for Limas Sweed....I told others on various other Steelers sites that Sweed wouldn't challenge Nate Washington....

Washington has the experience and knows the play book....Plus isn't that bad of a 3rd WR.....Some like to rag on Washington...But he came from Tiffin and was undrafted....Save to say we got way more out of Washington then many of us would have thought we would...

Back to Sweed...The kid will be fine...Let him get his feet wet before mentioning bust....Plax Burress caught 22 passes his rookie year with no TDs....He was the 8th overall selection in the 2000 Draft.....

steelwall
09-02-2008, 07:06 PM
The kid has had some drops, he's a rookie that just had eye surgery, lets cut him some slack. I still think he can be a force in the redzone along with Miller.

ricksteelers55
09-02-2008, 07:13 PM
Sweed is just learning to play pro just as Baker did last year.

I still think Sweed is a better player than Washington and Baker he just needs to adjust to some little things.

Sometimes when you start a new job somewhere you want to do too much to impress,he'll be ok you'll see.

Like Tomlin said last year when you dont start your first 3 picks I think you have a pretty good football team.

It's been 2 years in a row now that we dont start at least our 1st and 2nd round picks so it could only be good news.

remember last year a lot of you guys were willing to call Timmons a ''bust'' now this year he plays pretty well and might cost one of our well respect and loved LB(Foote) a job in the near future...so you never know

overall Sweed might not be in uniform comes sunday but he'll play this year and he'll surprise a lot of us in the near future

have a good season

Mill Write
09-02-2008, 09:07 PM
...The good thing is we don't need him to step in and carry the load right away. With Hines as a mentor this kid should develop into a solid receiver. Hopefully he has a better work ethic and mentality than Plaxico does.

I'd bet the farm, the Golden Triangle, and the PPG Building on that one!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-02-2008, 10:56 PM
Also, Wood got 4 sacks and forced a fumble and stayed healthy - What did Posluszny do? Right he got hurt.

! I am saying that Posluszny was more productive in 3 games last season in the NFL despite getting hurt, than Woodley was in the 13 reg season games he was active for.

Woodley had a nagging hamstring injury last season that caused him to be inactive for 3 of them and get limited playing time. I am saying that Woodley really did nothing in the way of being an impact player for this team and not many rookies ever do....so to expect Sweed to produce right away or be labelled a bad pick is absurd.

I've been a Michigan fan since Steve Smith was throwing passes to Anthony Carter and handing the ball off to Butch Woolfolk, so I am in no way a Woodley hater. In fact, when he had a bad combine and his draft stock slipped, I still hoped the Steelers would pick him and was elated that we got him.

I just knew it would take a season or 2 before he became a solid contributor.

LVSteelersfan
09-03-2008, 12:20 AM

You do realize that those drops mostly came at the hands of Leftwitch who fires the ball in there as hard as he can on every pass. Give the kid a break before thinking he is a bust right off the bat. I swear people want to call people a bust way too soon. WRs usually take up to three years before they learn the game and get it down. What difference does it make which round they were drafted in. Any draft pick is a crap shoot. Give him time and I'm sure he will be fine.

BTW: Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. I realize you were not calling him a bust.

Preacher
09-03-2008, 12:43 AM
You do realize that those drops mostly came at the hands of Leftwitch who fires the ball in there as hard as he can on every pass. Give the kid a break before thinking he is a bust right off the bat. I swear people want to call people a bust way too soon. WRs usually take up to three years before they learn the game and get it down. What difference does it make which round they were drafted in. Any draft pick is a crap shoot. Give him time and I'm sure he will be fine.

BTW: Sorry, I quoted the wrong person. I realize you were not calling him a bust.

Whether it is leftwich or Ben... Sweed needs to catch the ball.

BUt that is why he is going to sit most of his rookie year... so he CAN LEARN how to readjust to NFL football... the speed, the different size ball, etc. etc.

Like I said with Timmons... BE PATIENT PEOPLE. Give Sweed 2 or 3 years. He will become all we want and more.

Galax Steeler
09-03-2008, 03:32 AM
I think we need to start working him in there gettin him used to the speed of the game if he don't play then he will never learn.

SteelMember
09-03-2008, 09:40 AM
Yes, he needs to hold on to those catches. I don't know what the problem was with that deep sideline ball against Carolina. Lack of concentration? Washington had the same issue. And I say HAD because if he's going to be the #3, then the past tense should apply. Also, he's going to need a few more reps, even if it's in practice, to sharpen his transition to the playbook.

The team gave Reid 3 years to prove himself, and although he showed a little more this year, they showed him the door. Not attempting to make a direct comparison, but he should get the same chances.

I believe the Eagles picked Reid up for their practice squad, so there is absolutely no way Sweed was going to be risked to get to our practice squad when the final cuts were made.

Dino 6 Rings
09-03-2008, 04:56 PM
I just want the kid to learn and get better and eventually start so when he catches a big play ball the entire crowd will scream

SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

I can't wait for that.

Stlrs4Life
09-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Speaking at his weekly press conference on Tuesday, coach Mike Tomlin was not ready to give the team's No. 4 receiver spot to Sweed. i guess the coach does see a problem with his drops.

Did you talk to Tomlin? Is that why he is undecided? Or can it be because he is still young and doesn't know the entire offense yet? Baker has a year in this offense from last season. Cause the way I read the article he just stated that he is still open on the #4 WR spot.

lilyoder6
09-03-2008, 09:58 PM
i'm guessing that the 2 (sweed,baker) would take turns as number 4 depending on the week of pratice they had.. and finally when sweed learns the playbook be number 4

PalmerSteel
09-03-2008, 10:01 PM
Did you talk to Tomlin? Is that why he is undecided? Or can it be because he is still young and doesn't know the entire offense yet? Baker has a year in this offense from last season. Cause the way I read the article he just stated that he is still open on the #4 WR spot.

no i didnt talk to him. the news conference stated he is not ready to give it him. doesnt that mean the same thing as undecided AKA OPEN? maybe you should ask tomlin himself for the reasons? :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-05-2008, 04:14 PM
At least the coach isn't blinded by the fact that he was a #2 pick. Instead he's doing what's best for the team.

How many times have we seen players starting that should have been benched only because of who they were?

Yeah, I was just reading the PG site and it looks like Baker is the #4 WR and Sweed the #5.

Doesnt matter where you are drafted I guess, just what you have done.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-05-2008, 07:37 PM
Really good points.

Edman
09-05-2008, 09:30 PM
What is this? A second round draft pick Wide Reciever not starting in his first year?

He sucks! Cut him!

lilyoder6
09-05-2008, 09:52 PM
he needs to be put on the PS.. grrr. he needs to go back to school

PalmerSteel
09-06-2008, 10:41 AM
What is this? A second round draft pick Wide Reciever not starting in his first year?

He sucks! Cut him!

lol, dude no one is saying he should be a starter. talking about wr position 3, 4, 5. hard to contribute at wr5 or inactive. lets give it 2-3 weeks. we will see. hope he CONTRIBUTES like a 2nd round WR SHOULD.

PalmerSteel
09-16-2008, 07:17 PM
bump. just heard steady eddie bouchette thinks he may not play this season at all. yikes. we are going to need some more passing with these high powered offenses coming up in the season. hope sweed gets it together because we drafted him in the 2nd round to CONTRIBUTE this year.

Edman
09-16-2008, 07:39 PM
I don't know what's wrong with Limas but he needs to get it together.

Maybe because we don't need to rely on him right now?

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
bump. just heard steady eddie bouchette thinks he may not play this season at all. yikes. we are going to need some more passing with these high powered offenses coming up in the season. hope sweed gets it together because we drafted him in the 2nd round to CONTRIBUTE this year.

Since when is Bouchette on the Steelers' coaching staff?

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 07:59 PM
honestly.. he is just specualting.. i thought he did alright in the pre-season. and yeah we need to use him this season

revefsreleets
09-16-2008, 08:23 PM
Have we needed to even use a 5 WR set yet? Have we even used 3?

This has been the Santo and Ward show so far, but we've not been challenged or had to play from behind yet.

This will evolve as the season progresses...

PalmerSteel
09-16-2008, 09:04 PM
thats the point. he needs to excel in to the WR3, WR4 at worst, spot to help this team. so far we have not needed it but like i said earlier we have a lot of high scoring offenses coming up that our D will give up points.

verks36
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
if sweed does end up being inactive for more than the first game or 2, i dont care how anyone wants to say it, slice it, make excuses, twist it, whatever, thats a big disapointment for a 2nd round draft pick for a skilled position player. not saying bust yet, but thats far more worse a situation than timmon's from last year.

good point its hard to admit but its true. So far our rookies havent really made as much of an impact as i thought they would of after watching preseason

Steel Pit
09-16-2008, 11:38 PM
I'll give Sweed some time to develop. As I recall, Santonio Holmes had more than his fair share of dropped passes during his rookie year.

I've also noticed that the Steelers are using a singleback, 2 WR, 2 TE, formation quite a bit this season so I would suspect that Sweed will be inactive for more than a few games this season.

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 11:50 PM
thats the point. he needs to excel in to the WR3, WR4 at worst, spot to help this team. so far we have not needed it but like i said earlier we have a lot of high scoring offenses coming up that our D will give up points.

We scored 38 on opening day. We're capable of putting up a few points as well, with or without Sweed.

Galax Steeler
09-17-2008, 03:46 AM
I would love for Sweed to work his way into the lineup I think he has alot of potential.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 10:01 AM
We scored 38 on opening day. We're capable of putting up a few points as well, with or without Sweed.

Exactly. Gotta love Steeler fans.....team is 2-0, Parker running well and we are stressing over why the #5WR isnt the #4WR on gameday. ..:rofl:

rbryan
09-17-2008, 10:05 AM
Sweed will get his chance soon enough. Either thru injuries or the constant clanking sound coming from Nate Washington......lol

lilyoder6
09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
i would think that when the teams w/ the high power off would come to play he would be active.. as we might need to go 4-5 wide... but i like what were doing now b/c we are winning

steelreserve
09-17-2008, 10:37 AM
If we win the game, I don't care if he plays a single snap.

For that matter, if we win the game, I don't care if Big Ben, Polamalu or Ward plays a single snap. (As long as it's not because they're seriously hurt, duh.)

stlrtruck
09-17-2008, 10:39 AM
Exactly. Gotta love Steeler fans.....team is 2-0, Parker running well and we are stressing over why the #5WR isnt the #4WR on gameday. ..:rofl:

Now isn't this the best way to have the season going for us? I mean we could be browns fans going over why our team is 0-2.

I definitely like this better than anything else.

Mosca
09-17-2008, 10:49 AM
I don't think it is so much Sweed's being a failure as much as it is Baker's stepping up and winning the job. In the end it doesn't matter much if your #2 choice is a bust and your #7 choice is a star, or vice versa; you make your decisions based on there are only so many roster spots, and you fill them with the best guys. Baker beats out Sweed, too bad for Sweed, but great for the Steelers.

PalmerSteel
09-17-2008, 03:25 PM
i dont bring up sweed's slow start to be negative. you guys are right. it is a good problem to have at 2-0. i just like to bring things like this up because we live and die by our draft, and i want to make sure the new regime keeps it that way. if we keep winning they we are, then i can care less. just got a feeling though we will need his help down the line as the WR3, unless washington had sticky large hands implanted, then a solid WR4.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 03:49 PM
Yeah, think of it this way. Next season they will likely let Washington, Smith, Starks leave and possibly Anthony Smith and Essex too.

The receiving corps will likely be Ward, Holmes, Sweed, Baker and another rookie. Sweed will be fine and its a good thing not needing to rely on rookies to contribute.

No big deal and maybe a lot of cap room to invest in Kemo, Heath, Santo, Colon and maybe find a free agent.

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-17-2008, 11:56 PM
I can't believe some people legitimately think a #2 pick should come in and immediately and have a huge impact. At best, he'll be a strong red zone target, at worse he takes a year to learn the playbook and steps in when our injuries start to accumulate.

Honestly, if Ward or Holmes goes down (please God no!) I'd be very surprised if Sweed wasn't the one who played consistently for them, despite what the depth chart says at this moment.

Washington is a fantastic #3. From what I've seen, he'll always be a #3 though. He just doesn't seem to have it when it comes to consistently beating corners like Holmes does with speed and Ward does with intelligence. I've yet to see Sweed on a good vertical pass, his problems come from horizontal routes. I've noticed several times on crossing routes the ball is a step behind him. Once our passers get used to his speed and he gets his mechanics and timing down, he'll be fine.

billybob
09-18-2008, 12:07 AM
I have to be careful how i post,but Sweed seems to be waiting in the wings.He is gaining needed experience just by waiting on the sideline. Tomlin will unleash him when he thinks that he is ready. This Sunday @4:15 might be the right time.They just might need that added umph!!!

paw-n-maul-u
09-18-2008, 01:27 AM
Dude, a # four reciever is what he is ... a # 4 reciever ... baker ... sweed ... six of one half dozen of another. They are being mentored. I just thank god every day that santonio is as badass as he is, and the sweed, washington, baker ETC, have a guy like ward and santo to learn from. they will all be fine.

I was not fazed in the least bit that Sweed didn't dress on game day. ... he'll be good ... some day.

paw-n-maul-u
09-18-2008, 01:35 AM
THERE IS NO REASON TO BELIEVE THAT SWEED COULDN'T PLAY AS WELL AS D. JACKSON, J. HARDY or any other rookie receiver playing well.

Let's just all thank the football god's that we aren't even in a dire position like we were two years post-burress and ARE gone.

Washington has made about as many awesome catches in his whole entire steeler career, than sweed did on that one SICKKKKK called back TD in the preseason game. nuff said

Carolina Steelers
09-22-2008, 02:45 PM
Just an observation I know its tough to be a rookie in the NFL but as a 2nd rd pick how are you not even dressing for games i do like Nate Washington and I know Dallas Baker had an alright pre-season but Baker was a 7th rd pick a year ago and you tell me this guy is beating out your 2nd rd pick this year. I know Sweed had some drops during pre-season but I thought his upside is so much better than Baker with his size i thought by now he would at least be are #4 rec.

Stlrs4Life
09-22-2008, 02:46 PM
I'm sure he wants to dress, it's Tomlins call.

Carolina Steelers
09-22-2008, 02:55 PM
I agree its Tomlins call, maybe he's just not getting it done in practice

PalmerSteel
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
maybe with his high draft status, he could improve our O-line play? ;)

Elvis
09-22-2008, 02:57 PM
Seems kind of odd to me also on why he isnt being dressed and ready to play these games. They being Tomlin and Co. either made a real bad mistake on taking him so early or they are blinded by Nate Washington. I just think right now that Tomlin has to be guessing his choices the last 2 drafts..
:noidea:

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
Id prefer to see what Sweed can do at the #4 spot, but the fact Baker is in year two and has a little more mentality he will prob. get the nod.

Sweed is learning and someday could be a threat for the Steelers or he could be cut after this season due to dropped passes who knows at this point...to early.

lilyoder6
09-22-2008, 06:41 PM
the timmons pick is getting better by the game.. he is making plays when he is out there.. give sweed time and he be in the line-up

The Duke
09-22-2008, 06:53 PM
Sweed should be starting :chuckle:

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Isn't he Hall of Fame qualified by now? :rolleyes:

MACH1
09-22-2008, 06:55 PM

:rofl:

Yep...They would have won with him. :chuckle:

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Having an effective Sweed would help us a lot. Santonio and Hines are our only real targets. Sometimes Heath but they never use him. You see rookies like Desean Jackson and Hardy, who caught a TD last week. We need to see what he can do.

SteelMember
09-22-2008, 08:07 PM
:rofl:

Yep...They would have won with him. :chuckle:

Ya, didn't he go to one of Kuhn's offseason football camps.:sofunny:

PalmerSteel
09-22-2008, 08:55 PM
sweed should have started, on the offensive line. couldnt have been any worse.