PDA

View Full Version : Metallica's new Song/Video/Album

Preacher
09-02-2008, 09:31 PM
Here is the new video from the new album...

The song is GREAT... a throwback to the OLD Metallica of the 80's.

When I first started watching the video, I thought "oh great... here we go with the 60's platitudes."

However, it is nothing like that... Just a look at a normal day.... WOW...

Check it out, and if you are an OLD metallica fan, you will probably LOVE the music.

http://www.metallica.com/index.asp?item=601171

NJarhead
09-02-2008, 09:46 PM
Thanks Preach.

I was listening to the song last week. It wasn't the let down I had anticipated. The video actually makes me like it even more. :drink:

....it's so difficult not to love that band, no matter how much they've disappointed in recent years.

Preacher
09-02-2008, 09:50 PM
yeah..

I can't wait to hear the whole album.

NJarhead
09-02-2008, 09:55 PM
I have to admit...., I can't stop watching/listening.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 09:56 PM
Sorry, 1/2 of this seems like a coda to the black album, and another quarter sounds like they are ripping off their own better earlier material (the long guitar solo is straight off MOP). Robert Trujillo certainly adds some spark, and reminds me of Cliff Burton a lot.

Maybe the album in it's entirety will change my mind, but I'm still kind of let down...

Preacher
09-02-2008, 10:02 PM
Sorry, 1/2 of this seems like a coda to the black album, and another quarter sounds like they are ripping off their own better earlier material (the long guitar solo is straight off MOP). Robert Trujillo certainly adds some spark, and reminds me of Cliff Burton a lot.

Maybe the album in it's entirety will change my mind, but I'm still kind of let down...

Rev...

I think the difference is,

Those of us who were coming of age during MOP and JFA..

Well, we are just happy Metallica finally decided to live up to METALlica

You wouldn't BELIEVE how difficult the 90's music was on some of us!

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Rev...

St Anger was pretty heavy Preach.

In fact, I'm gonna go pop it in right now...at 10. Time to test my new neighbors sound threshold :tt03:

NJarhead
09-02-2008, 10:07 PM
Rev...

Yep.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 10:17 PM
I'm in St Anger...it's not that bad. I'm "Feeling it"...I may just be THAT metallic (I've been in there since 84).

Preacher
09-02-2008, 10:21 PM
St. Anger was a step back in the right direction.

I was happy that Lars found his other leg on that album... but it was quite a bit more PUNK-core than metal.

But yeah, I slapped that album in the CD players a couple days ago and enjoyed parts of it.

I think what people don't get in that album, is that it was really a long journey into Hetfield's ID.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Watching the DVD makes the difference. As a (bad) songwriter and (decent) lyricist I definitely commiserated with the band as much as possible when they went through their journey.

It was what it was...I probably like it more than most...

Preacher
09-02-2008, 10:29 PM
Watching the DVD makes the difference. As a (bad) songwriter and (decent) lyricist I definitely commiserated with the band as much as possible when they went through their journey.

It was what it was...I probably like it more than most...

Oh yeah...

one other thing...

I was (and am) very happy they took the drum-triggers off and are getting the REAL sound of the drums again on the last two albums!!!!!

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 10:37 PM
Oh yeah...

one other thing...

I was (and am) very happy they took the drum-triggers off and are getting the REAL sound of the drums again on the last two albums!!!!!

Not a fan of the feedback caused by the snare drum being loosened up. But that was St Anger. I can hear it RIGHT NOW on Invisible Kid.

Tankus_Maximus
09-02-2008, 10:55 PM
Just heard "My Apocalypse", along with "The Day.."...I can honestly say that I am looking forward to this album, and I haven't said that since right before the Black album.

revefsreleets
09-02-2008, 10:57 PM
Good good!

Preacher
09-02-2008, 11:54 PM
Just heard "My Apocalypse", along with "The Day.."...I can honestly say that I am looking forward to this album, and I haven't said that since right before the Black album.

Yep.

absolutely.

They have gone back to their roots!!! But they are showing maturity in their music as well. I love it.

augustashark
09-03-2008, 02:21 AM
So far so good. Looking forward to Sept 12th.

stlrtruck
09-03-2008, 09:16 AM
All I can say is

WOW!!!!!

Steelerstrength
09-03-2008, 12:39 PM
Joining Missionmetallica.com has provided me with video & riffs of the making of the album. I've also been able to download the songs for no extra fee, after joining. ($32.95)

A great marketing tool for the band! Some great footage of behind the scenes interaction between all band members, producers, etc. They talk about their ideas, and actually put it down right there. Some great jam sessions result in what we hear now.

Todays video is an interview with Lars & James, reflecting on the "Kill 'em All" 25 years later.

I get the CD via Fedex on the day of release, as well as the download. They are already providing us with pre-sale codes for tickets to the tour in the UK, as well as North America.

Cyanide is my favorite of the three songs released thus far.

Hammer Of The GODS
09-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Bout time!

Been a long wait....... New album means new tour :applaudit:

One thing I must say. I was very disappointed with the bands choice to do St Anger video for those low life prisoners. WTF was that BS ?!

They can redeem themselves by putting on a show for the troops! NOBODY deserves it more!

I've been on the Metallica train since the first time I heard James say " NO LIFE 'TIL LEATHER " on Christmas day 1984 when my uncle handed me an unwrapped cassette tape and said " your welcome "! Man he was a great uncle.. I digress.....

LONG LIVE METALLICA!!!!!!!!

revefsreleets
09-03-2008, 04:34 PM
There was a local band (I went to HS in Salem, Ohio) who packed up and headed to LA in 84. Wicked Lester was their name, and they were quite good (but throw a rock in LA circa '84 and you'd hit 27 good metal bands)...anyway, we were friends with them, and they shipped back a copy of "Kill Em All" (tape, of course, not CD). It BLEW us away. We instantly learned Four Horseman and blew every single person we played it for away. We routinely totally smoked the bands we opened for, all usually 10 years + older than us.

SteelMember
09-04-2008, 12:45 PM
It's definately an inprovement, but I still can get over James overstating every line with the Ehhhhahhh. I think this was the producers idea to overdo his singing styleeee..ah! I haven't been at all impressed with any of there last 3-4 offerings.

Also, sometimes it sounds like they are ripping themselves off. And I know Kirk has more to offer than those tired arppegiations and asending/decending scale sets. I don't know, my opinon is that there first three albums are still the best, but they are at least trying to get back there even with the more "popular" marketing position. Money talks....and so does Lars.:thmbdown: