PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Sign Tight End Sean McHugh

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 08:37 AM
Steelers Sign Tight End Sean McHugh

PITTSBURGH — The Steelers added a third tight end to their active roster today as they signed veteran tight end Sean McHugh to a one-year deal.

McHugh (6-5, 265) spent the past three seasons with the Detroit Lions on both their active roster and practice squads. He was originally drafted by the Tennessee Titans in the seventh round (214st overall) of the 2004 NFL Draft out of Penn State. McHugh was cut by the Titans following their 2004 training camp and signed by the Green Bay Packers, where he spent the entire 2004 campaign.

In 25 career games (14 starts), McHugh has 20 receptions for 277 yards (13.9 avg.). He had his best season in 2007 for the Lions, playing in 15 games (12 starts) and making 17 catches for 252 yards (14.8 avg.).

http://news.steelers.com/article/95452/

Hapa
09-03-2008, 09:10 AM
Does anyone know if he's a good blocker?

tony hipchest
09-03-2008, 09:14 AM
Does anyone know if he's a good blocker?in other words "anyone here ever watch a lions game?" :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Does anyone know if he's a good blocker?

Blocking is his strength..plays Fullback and Tight end...saw action at fullback in six games with the Lions.

in other words "anyone here ever watch a lions game?" :chuckle:

....LOL....and no.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
colbert reaches into his back pocket again...

09-03-2008, 10:17 AM
I remeber that he was a good receiver out of the backfield when he played at PSU. He is more on a H-back, than a true TE.

Steeldude
09-03-2008, 10:26 AM
what is it with colbert and his hand-me-down lions' players?

are the steelers slowly turning into the lions? that's not a good thing.

tony hipchest
09-03-2008, 10:31 AM
what is it with colbert and his hand-me-down lions' players?

are the steelers slowly turning into the lions? that's not a good thing.he's gonna cut ben in a salary cap saving move and bring in jon kitna. :rolleyes:

really, other than hartings (who was pretty decent, right?), i cant remember any former lions of significance. we did bring in jones for a look see, but we scouted him before he was even drafted as a lion.

DACEB
09-03-2008, 11:20 AM
Blocking is his strength..plays Fullback and Tight end...saw action at fullback in six games with the Lions.

I remeber that he was a good receiver out of the backfield when he played at PSU. He is more on a H-back, than a true TE.

Sounds like a good fit for what we need from that position and depth.

Elvis
09-03-2008, 11:26 AM
yeh, I guess the front office and organization known as the steelers know more than we will ever know about these players..
:coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2008, 11:34 AM
he's gonna cut ben in a salary cap saving move and bring in jon kitna. :rolleyes:

really, other than hartings (who was pretty decent, right?), i cant remember any former lions of significance. we did bring in jones for a look see, but we scouted him before he was even drafted as a lion.

Kirschke is another ex-lion, but again not a former Lion of significance. I'm with DACEB, this looks like a decent fit for a TE that can line up as FB when needed.

If he can be a lead blocker, Carey Davis might end up inactive some weeks.

lilyoder6
09-03-2008, 11:48 AM
i think we should of just used starks as a number 3 te... but i guess they didn't like the idea..

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Not a bad pickup as a third TE....the best thing to do is compare him to Dekker/Boyd...not Miller/Spaeth.

That being said...I STILL would have preferred using that roster spot for signing Dre Moore or Nick Hayden from their teams respective practice squads as a DE.

oldschool
09-03-2008, 11:55 AM
Last time I looked , ( last season), I thought we were loaded with tight ends. What happened to the land of the Giants?

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 12:00 PM
Last time I looked , ( last season), I thought we were loaded with tight ends. What happened to the land of the Giants?

Dekker fractured ankle on aug 8th...Boyd had shoulder surgery on aug 22 and was waived...Sherrod on Practice Team....and Vickers cut from final roster.

oldschool
09-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Dekker fractured ankle on aug 8th...Boyd had shoulder surgery on aug 22 and was waived...Sherrod on Practice Team....and Vickers cut from final roster.

Thanks, That about sums it up. Let's hope Heath stays healthy!:tt:

steelreserve
09-03-2008, 12:27 PM
i think we should of just used starks as a number 3 te... but i guess they didn't like the idea..

Hampton. They should use HAMPTON as a TE/FB. He's in good enough shape to play both ways.

09-03-2008, 12:29 PM
McHugh was the starting FB and primary lead blocker for the 2002 Nittany Lions, the year LJ went over 2000 yards. Personally, I like the pick up. Think of him as a poor mans Chris Cooley.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 12:50 PM
McHugh was the starting FB and primary lead blocker for the 2002 Nittany Lions, the year LJ went over 2000 yards. Personally, I like the pick up. Think of him as a poor mans Chris Cooley.

Technically, I am a poor mans Brad Pitt.....

....A very poor man.....

.....possibly a homeless poor man...

....But Brad Pitt none the less.

DACEB
09-03-2008, 01:22 PM

They will use Starks as a pure blocking 3rd TE on run plays, but I would imagine there are plenty of sets where all 3 TEs are eligible and that negates Starks.

Who knows if this guy is just a stop gap for now, most likely. Sherrod seems to have impressed the staff, but he's young and raw. It would be nice for McHugh to get back to his lead-blocking ways, as some have stated he played the role well in college. That is definetly an area in need of improvement, neither of our TEs block very well in the H-back role.

Give It To Abercrombie
09-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Guy who played college football in Pennsylvania......
Can play fullback.....
Last name rhymes with Kuhn......

Destined for greatness!!! :thumbsup:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2008, 02:25 PM
That being said...I STILL would have preferred using that roster spot for signing Dre Moore or Nick Hayden from their teams respective practice squads as a DE.

When Moore slid in the draft, I was suspicious that there was something wrong with him....now that he was cut, it seems confirmed. As for Hayden....seems like a poor man's Travis Kirschke.

I like the idea of a good blocking H-back.

DACEB
09-03-2008, 02:43 PM

So do I, hopefully he fills the bill.

Florida_Steelers_Fan
09-03-2008, 02:51 PM
Technically, I am a poor mans Brad Pitt.....

....A very poor man.....

.....possibly a homeless poor man...

....But Brad Pitt none the less.

steve buscemi? :hunch:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-03-2008, 03:08 PM
When Moore slid in the draft, I was suspicious that there was something wrong with him....now that he was cut, it seems confirmed. As for Hayden....seems like a poor man's Travis Kirschke.

But neither were tried as DE's...both were tried at DT...I would take the chance on either of them..(believe it or not..I actually like Hayden a little better)

OneForTheToe
09-03-2008, 03:28 PM

He might need more money if they are going to ask him to play TE as well as back-up OT.:noidea: :wink02:

Texasteel
09-03-2008, 03:37 PM
Not a bad pickup as a third TE....the best thing to do is compare him to Dekker/Boyd...not Miller/Spaeth.

Thats exactly what I was thinking, we sign a player at a position that I consider one of our strongest, and ignore 2 kids that very well may help at a position that might be one of our weakest.
Life is just to damn confusing.:banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-03-2008, 04:00 PM
But neither were tried as DE's...both were tried at DT...I would take the chance on either of them..(believe it or not..I actually like Hayden a little better)

I dont think Hayden has any upside. He's a guy that can be a reserve DE in a 3-4 based on his size and strength, but I guess he is at least younger than Kirschke.

I just dont know if I like the idea of signing a PS project from another team to our roster. It would be like somebody signing Sherrod off our PS just because they have no depth at TE.

revefsreleets
09-03-2008, 05:06 PM
I'm surprised we don't run more H-back type stuff, since that's part of Arians package. The personnel we have may not exactly fit the bill, though.

Steelman16
09-03-2008, 05:11 PM
Steelers have a plan as usual. Hopefully he turns out good!

Rotorhead
09-03-2008, 05:17 PM
It seems to me he could well be used to help shore up the LT position by being a blocking TE over there. We all know we are weak over there. Kemo has demonstrated to me we have improved at LG, obviously the Staff think we have upgraded at C (by trading Mahan), so giving help to our weakest link (IMHO) of our O-line in some situations seems like a smart idea.

The Duke
09-03-2008, 05:23 PM
so that's one less thing for starks to do....

xXTheSteelKingsXx
09-03-2008, 07:42 PM
so that's one less thing for starks to do....

LOL. So what did we give him 6.9 mill for??? I could see if he was playing multiple positions but not even starting at one.:flap:

CanadianSteel
09-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Someone should send the Steelers (Colbert) the info on the other 30 teams in the NFL !
Seriously why do we always look to the Lions it seems for pickups !
Not saying he is a bad player as I dont have any educated reason to state this but come on we couldn't have picked up some help on the Oline ?
Or maybe the Lions just did not release any Olineman !!

Galax Steeler
09-04-2008, 04:59 AM
I say go for it if he can block and be utilized like they say he can I would say he would be worth it.