PDA

View Full Version : Good Luck this week Steelers

justinofdoom
09-03-2008, 08:34 AM
Hello. I was just stopping by to wish you guys the best of luck this week. I am probably the biggest Houston fan in Ohio (there aren't many). I could probably rival most Houston fans in Houston. Anyways, I am heading to the game with my Aunt and Uncle who are Steelers season ticket holders. They make the drive from southern Ohio every home game. I am very excited to see our two teams in action. I have no smack talk. I root for the Steelers unless they are playing with the Texans. I just wanted to wish you good luck and for a close, injury free game.

If anyone has any questions I would honestly answer them. I always like to chat before the big game :D

Justin

tony hipchest
09-03-2008, 08:43 AM
good luck and welcome.

so whats the texans plan for moving the ball on the ground this weekend? why havent they gone after s. alexander or somebody for insurance?

i didnt realize it but dayne averaged more than 4ypc last season. kinda suprised hes a FA.

justinofdoom
09-03-2008, 08:57 AM
You have to realize that when Dayne falls forward, he gains an extra two yards because of his size lol. But seriously, Kubiak is "happy" with Chris Taylor and Steve Slaton. Ahman Green is "healthy" and will "start" but I am guessing he will be injured by pregame warmups. I look for Ahman to get about 70% of the carries in the first half depending if it is a close game or not. In the second half, if the game is still close look for Chris Taylor to get a lot of carries and Slaton to play on third down.

I am looking forward to seeing Slaton catch a screen pass or two.

The first two preseason games the running game looked bad until Slaton came in. His speed helps him hit the holes a lot better. The Dallas game is where I thought the running game was coming together a lot better. I know it takes time for Alex Gibbs to get his guys in position to run his system well, so I wouldn't worry about the running game too much.

A few Steeler bloggers seem to think that the Texans have a weak offense and good defense. I think the Texans have a better chance of winning the game with their offense. They move the ball really well and Matt doesn't make too many mistakes. Our #2 Kevin Walter (you probably remember him from the Cincy Pitt playoff game when he played for Cincy) has really stepped up and I expect him to catch a good amount of balls. We have a good athletic tight end that helps out a lot on first down, and of course you all know about Andre Johnson.

I do expect the Big Ben to have a good game if we cannot get pressure. Mario can't do it all by himself. Also, look for Santonio Holmes to be covered by the below average Jacques Reeves. Could be a career day for Santonio.

The upcoming tough texans defense you hear about is nothing but a fluke, at the moment. We really need Dunta Robinson back for our secondary to play well. And no matter how good Demeco Ryans is, I expect Willie Parker to have a big day.

I love my team, but I am a realist and this is how I see the game playing out.

justinofdoom
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
I would say it could be a high scoring game, but I have too much respect for the Steelers defense.

tony hipchest
09-03-2008, 09:02 AM
hows jacoby jones doing? i havent heard nothing of him other than a dui or something in the offseason. he still scrapping for that #3 position?

justinofdoom
09-03-2008, 09:08 AM
Lol. Jacoby got a DUI? I never heard about that!

I think Kubiak had a lot of high hopes for Jacoby. Jacoby fumbled I think three times in preseason and didn't catch a number of important passes. He seems to be handling the punt returns still. So the Steelers can expect a turnover off of that too.

I don't think he has a chance at the #3 spot until he gets it together. Andre Davis of all people is our number three and he actually looks.....dare I say......good. He made a lot of big plays for us last year.

I almost expect Jacoby to be demoted to our #5 receiver if scrappy young David Anderson keeps playing like he has.

BurghZ0n3
09-03-2008, 02:16 PM
...not many Texan fans in Ohio? Well, I used to live in Plano - Dallas, TX and I couldn't believe there're so many Steelers fans down there... been routing for B&G since I was in Iowa (no team over there!). Good luck with your team too this weekend...:tt::tt::tt:

revefsreleets
09-03-2008, 03:56 PM
Thanks! Nice to get a little info from the other camp. Good luck this weekend, too!

Steelman16
09-03-2008, 04:02 PM
I do expect the Big Ben to have a good game if we cannot get pressure. Mario can't do it all by himself. Also, look for Santonio Holmes to be covered by the below average Jacques Reeves. Could be a career day for Santonio to have a big day.

Is that the Reeves from the Cowboys? I lived in Texas last year, so I unfortunately had to watch a lot of their games, and Reeves got burned twice a game on average. The Giants pwned him several times, and even the Bills got some off of him. I can imagine Santonio beating the crap out of him. Maybe Santo will put up 2 TD's this week!

warddj86
09-03-2008, 05:20 PM
...not many Texan fans in Ohio? Well, I used to live in Plano - Dallas, TX and I couldn't believe there're so many Steelers fans down there... been routing for B&G since I was in Iowa (no team over there!). Good luck with your team too this weekend...:tt::tt::tt:

there's a lot of steeler fans everywhere, i live near cleveland and its about 50% Percent Steelers 50% Browns fans where I live.

VTsteel
09-03-2008, 06:05 PM
there's a lot of steeler fans everywhere, i live near cleveland and its about 50% Percent Steelers 50% Browns fans where I live.

Vermont as well . . . any sports bar you go to - The Steeler contingincy is ALWAYS the largest ( by like a 5:1 margin)

Before the *'s started doing well, we easily out numbered them in popularity. Now, the bandwagon hoppers show up (and speak up) and it's probably about 50/50 now.

Dynasty
09-03-2008, 06:18 PM
if Reeves performs as poorly as I would expect, drafting Santo in a few of my Fantasy leagues will definitely pay off haha

Stlrs4Life
09-03-2008, 09:08 PM
Thanks, and same to you justinofdoom, and stop by our tailgate to say hello. You can find more info here:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=26888

fansince'76
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Good luck and welcome, Justin! :drink:

HometownGal
09-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the classy post. :drink:

Good luck to your team, as well, but not too much luck. :wink02::tt02:

CanadianSteel
09-03-2008, 10:04 PM
Wish your team all the luck in the world..........after this week :>)

Black@Gold Forever32
09-03-2008, 10:38 PM
Well good luck as well...I'm actually kind of worried about this game.....No doubt I think the Steelers can win this game easily but things don't always go easily in the NFL...lol

I think the Texans have a chance to surprise this year....I'm not saying double digit wins....But I wouldn't shocked if you guys pull out 9 wins....

I think Slaton/Taylor will give you guys a decent run game this year....Slaton fits that zone blocking scheme to the tee....Of course not many teams run the ball against the Steelers....

I'm still picking the Steelers 31-17.....But if the Texans can get to Ben consistently and throw him out of sync and the Texans special teams makes some big plays they could win this game....

I know what happened the last time the Texans visited Pittsburgh back in 2002...The Steelers gift wrapped the game for the Texans ok I should say Tommy Maddox....lol

Anything can happen on any Given Sunday....

Galax Steeler
09-04-2008, 03:53 AM
To a good and safe game.:drink:

justinofdoom
09-04-2008, 07:23 AM
Is that the Reeves from the Cowboys? I lived in Texas last year, so I unfortunately had to watch a lot of their games, and Reeves got burned twice a game on average. The Giants pwned him several times, and even the Bills got some off of him. I can imagine Santonio beating the crap out of him. Maybe Santo will put up 2 TD's this week!

Haha, it sure is Reeves from the Cowboys. For some reason they saw something in him and thought he would be a good player. I sure as heck don't see it!

Kvnfaber
09-04-2008, 09:06 AM
Good luck Justin, its great to see classy fans from other teams give us some great, respectful, and intelligent posts. I think this game is going to be tougher than most think, as my 20-17 Steelers win prediction shows.

justinofdoom
09-04-2008, 09:34 AM
Thanks to everyone for the positive responses.

I am very excited to make my second trip to Heinz Field. I think their season tickets are in the 14th row, 40 yard line, so it should be a great experience.

I probably won't be wearing any Texans garb though. I have learned my lesson many times going to games in Indy.

Edman
09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
Props to the classy Texans fan.

I wish your team luck as well, after this week of course. What really impressed me about the Texans is their continued success over the Jacksonville Jaguars since their expansion year. 7-5 all time. Not bad.

Elvis
09-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Thanks to everyone for the positive responses.

I am very excited to make my second trip to Heinz Field. I think their season tickets are in the 14th row, 40 yard line, so it should be a great experience.

I probably won't be wearing any Texans garb though. I have learned my lesson many times going to games in Indy.

Hello and welcome to the board Justin... always good to have a considerate opponents fan come in and carry on a good conversation without being rude ya know. I really think that the Texans are gonna have a great passing day against our defense if they dont get alot more pressure on your QB than we did late last year and throughout our preseason. Schaub has proven when healthy to be very accurate and a pretty good leader.
Good luck to ya and may God Bless You and Yours
:tt:

Havik
09-05-2008, 12:08 AM
Texans fan in Ohio? That's an oddity. Well at least your a fan of a team with some hope of eventually making the playoffs, unlike the 2 in-state teams who both suck. I don't blame you for being a fan of an out of state team given we live in the worst pro football state in the nation. Have fun at the game.

justinofdoom
09-05-2008, 08:00 AM
Texans fan in Ohio? That's an oddity. Well at least your a fan of a team with some hope of eventually making the playoffs, unlike the 2 in-state teams who both suck. I don't blame you for being a fan of an out of state team given we live in the worst pro football state in the nation. Have fun at the game.

Ahhhh I love this post. People always ask me why I like the Texans and instead of explaining I simply tell them it is because there are no real pro teams in Ohio. None worth any respect anyways. I probably hate the Bengals/Browns just as much as you Steelers fans simply because I have to deal with their fans. Or I should say "fans".

justinofdoom
09-05-2008, 08:03 AM
Hello and welcome to the board Justin... always good to have a considerate opponents fan come in and carry on a good conversation without being rude ya know. I really think that the Texans are gonna have a great passing day against our defense if they dont get alot more pressure on your QB than we did late last year and throughout our preseason. Schaub has proven when healthy to be very accurate and a pretty good leader.
Good luck to ya and may God Bless You and Yours
:tt:

A lot of "experts" have Schaub having a very bad day against the Steelers. The pass protection has looked good in preseason, even against Dallas who blitzed like crazy IN PRESEASON! But, that is preseason and this game counts. I see Schaub having a decent day, but The Texans struggle in the red zone, and without a strong run game field goals just won't win this one. The only problem with Schaub is he takes too many hits. He has an excellent release and gets the ball out fast, but a lot of the time he was that extra half second and releases right before he gets hit.

Thanks for the classy response and I wish you the best this season.

The Duke
09-05-2008, 10:38 PM
People always ask me why I like the Texans and instead of explaining I simply tell them it is because there are no real pro teams in Ohio. None worth any respect anyways. I probably hate the Bengals/Browns just as much as you Steelers fans simply because I have to deal with their fans. Or I should say "fans".

:applaudit:

lol, I like you already :drink:

good luck to the texans too, hopefully they make they playoffs. they should easily finish above the titans if they stay healthy

just remember, don't feel bad if they lose against the steelers, you're at the presence of greatness :tt:

Preacher
09-05-2008, 11:05 PM
Justin...

welcome.

Thanks for the good post.

Stay around, this is a good site.

I am looking forward to Sunday. Hope to see you around afterwards, either way the game goes.

Steelman16
09-05-2008, 11:11 PM
Oh man, we gotta win now. Mike Silver just pronounced that the Texans would ride a big day from Andre Johnson to an upset of the Steelers. :dang:

Doesn't that mean Schaub has to have a good day too? :chuckle:

----

If I didn't welcome you to the forums before, welcome to the forums Justin! :thumbsup:

9-5
09-06-2008, 01:31 AM
I simply tell them it is because there are no real pro teams in Ohio. None worth any respect anyways.
The Browns are real enough to beat your Texans. Have fun coming to the Pound and losing this year, its what you guys do, right?

Well at least your a fan of a team with some hope of eventually making the playoffs, unlike the 2 in-state teams who both suck. I don't blame you for being a fan of an out of state team given we live in the worst pro football state in the nation.
A tiebreaker kept us out of the playoffs last year, dude. The Bungles, yeah, but its the Bungles. What do you expect? And how exactly can the Texans get to the playoffs in a division with Indy, Jacksonville, and Tennessee?

We aren't the worst pro football state in the nation. How many states don't have a pro team, let alone 2?

Preacher
09-06-2008, 02:38 AM
We aren't the worst pro football state in the nation. How many states don't have a pro team, let alone 2?

Ohio hasn't had a pro-football team since the mid-eighties.

:rofl:

Havik
09-06-2008, 09:59 PM

2 teams that are a total joke. We all know the best team in the state plays on Saturdays. All the Browns have done since coming back was give me something to laugh at. The Bungles ownership and selfish attitude will never get them a Super Bowl. I'd rather follow a real football team, like the Steelers.

9-5
09-06-2008, 10:42 PM
2 teams that are a total joke. We all know the best team in the state plays on Saturdays. All the Browns have done since coming back was give me something to laugh at. The Bungles ownership and selfish attitude will never get them a Super Bowl. I'd rather follow a real football team, like the Steelers.
1)What Ohio State team are you watching? Can't be the same team that struggled to beat Ohio.

2)So, you weren't scared at all game 2 when Josh Cribbs almost singlehandedly beat you guys? I don't believe that.

3)Well, that the Bungles for ya.

You mean, you'd rather jump on the bandwagon of a successful team rather then root for a less successful one. Whoo hoo for you.

steel striker
09-07-2008, 07:18 AM
Good luck Justin and, welcome to the forum. It's nice to have an pleasant talk about the game today. I think it is going to be a good game.

silver & black
09-07-2008, 08:53 AM
Wish your team all the luck in the world..........after this week :>)

Me too... untill Dec. 21. :wink02:

lilyoder6
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
i wouldn't be able to watch osu play.. they looked like d 2 team against ohio... i do sometimes like to watch lebron james...

SteelMember
09-08-2008, 08:11 AM

You may be in your "Own Private Idaho".:chuckle:

Havik
09-08-2008, 03:50 PM

The abysmal performances of both Ohio teams yesterday speak for themselves.

lilyoder6
09-08-2008, 03:52 PM
true.. this past weekend was UGLY for the state of ohio