PDA

View Full Version : Sneak peek at what you'll see in the NFL this season

fdp
09-04-2008, 10:24 AM
By Gene Wojciechowski
ESPN.com

15: The two AFC teams most likely to surprise us
Denver Broncos -- Quarterback Jay Cutler becomes John Elway Jr. Broncos take advantage of workable schedule. Jags, Jets or Texans (yes, Texans) falter in wild-card race, allowing Broncos to sneak in.

Pittsburgh -- In 2005, the Steelers won a Super Bowl. The 2008 Steelers are hoping for a playoff spot. It happens if quarterback Ben Roethlisberger doesn't spend so much time pulling chunks of turf from his face mask, if rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall quits fumbling long enough to give the Steelers a nice one-two punch with Willie Parker and if they prevail in a mediocre AFC North.

20: AFC North (order of finish)

Pittsburgh Steelers -- I was going to pick Baltimore, but the Ed Reed shoulder/neck injury and the Ravens' offense (or lack of it -- rookie Joe Flacco gets the first start at quarterback) was enough to give me the heebie-jeebies. So I'll take the Steelers, though I'm not exactly thrilled about their prospects. Roethlisberger won't throw 32 TDs again, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Who knows what's going to happen with the offensive line, but the defense should be just good enough to help eke out a division title.

Cleveland Browns -- The schedule isn't going to be much fun (Dallas, Pittsburgh, at Baltimore, at Cincy, New York Giants, at Washington, at Jacksonville, Baltimore, Denver, at Buffalo, Houston, Indianapolis, at Tennessee, at Philly, Cincy, at Pittsburgh), and did anyone notice that Derek Anderson threw 19 interceptions and completed only 56.5 percent of his passes a year ago? The division is weak enough that the Browns could still win the thing, but no way do they repeat their 10-victory performance of 2007.

Baltimore Ravens -- The Ravens need Reed at safety. If his shoulder doesn't hold up, Baltimore's defense is driving without a few lug nuts attached to the tires. His replacement, Jim Leonhard, didn't exactly distinguish himself while with the Bills. The less said about the offense, the better. Injuries have the quarterback position in flux.

Cincinnati Bengals -- Quarterback Carson Palmer deserves better than this. Too bad he won't get it.

28: At season's end, your fellow fantasy league owners will marvel at your wisdom if you have these three sleepers (and one star in the making) on your roster
Robert Meachem, WR, Saints -- Meachem was useless after being selected No. 27 overall in the 2007 draft. If the preseason is any indication, Meachem appears to realize that he doesn't want to spend his late 20s -- and all of his 30s, 40s and 50s -- selling whole life insurance. He'll become a nice complement to the great Marques Colston.

Chris Johnson, RB, Titans -- Draft him higher than you think you should. Then thank me later.

Mendenhall, RB, Steelers -- I see lots of goal-line scoring opportunities.

Jerricho Cotchery, WR, Jets -- The budding star. Only four TDs last year, but that will change fast with Favre.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/columns/story?columnist=wojciechowski_gene&id=3565175&sportCat=nfl

revefsreleets
09-04-2008, 10:40 AM
did anyone notice that Derek Anderson threw 19 interceptions and completed only 56.5 percent of his passes a year ago

Um, yeah, I did! Party's over for DA...

SteelMember
09-04-2008, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure where this tread wants to go, but I kept noticing the Ed Reed injury. It just seems to remind me of another safety that everyone has been worried about...Troy. It has been stated that some people would gladly trade Troy for the likes of Reed. Now would that be Ed this year or last?:chuckle:
Just seems like there is a trend with physical type players to become labeled as injury prone, when it really just comes down to their all out style of play. People love big hits, including myself, but it eventually takes it's toll on the body...any body.
I'm glad to have Troy, and hope he has a great year and disproves all the naysayers.:tt03:

tony hipchest
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
20: AFC North (order of finish)

Pittsburgh Steelers -- I was going to pick Baltimore,so did geno have anything worth reading after this drivel?

MACH1
09-04-2008, 11:23 AM
What a bunch of horse pucky.

fansince'76
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Let the '08 knobslobbing campaign begin:

1: The Patriots will make another serious run at perfection

....The Pats won't be as dominating as 2007, but there's a reason they've won 14, 14, 10, 12 and 16 regular-season games the past five years: They adjust better than any other franchise.

I guess "adjust" is a new word for "cheat." :coffee:

revefsreleets
09-04-2008, 12:31 PM
Yup. Camera's are off for the first time in the Bellidick era...this is going to be an interesting season for the Pats since they have to play on a level field.

Steelman16
09-05-2008, 02:12 AM
Yup. Camera's are off for the first time in the Bellidick era...this is going to be an interesting season for the Pats since they have to play on a level field.

Who's to say they're actually off?

:coffee:

warddj86
09-05-2008, 08:16 PM

Yep they just had a meeting about it yesterday. :chuckle::wink02:

MDSteel15
09-06-2008, 12:30 AM

Add that to having the EASIEST schedule in the league and I wonder why they have a shot! :doh:

Galax Steeler
09-06-2008, 07:53 AM

You hit the nail right on the head.

msafford
09-06-2008, 09:52 AM

I believe that's what we call a euphemism. I use it all the time with my band students.

instead of what I wanna say,

"Wow....that really sucked Johnny. You can't play your way out of a paper bag."

I usually say

"That's a unique way of playing it Johnny. Let's try it again."

Screw the Patriots. wait....let's try a euphemism....

F*CK the Patriots. There....I made some "Adjustments.":thumbsup: