PDA

View Full Version : Paterno suspends players for Saturday's game vs. Oregon State

millwalldavey
09-04-2008, 07:32 PM
Paterno suspends players for Saturday's game vs. Oregon State
By Adam Rittenberg
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: September 4, 2008, 7:38 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Penn State players Maurice Evans, Abe Koroma and Andrew Quarless will miss Saturday's game against Oregon State after police found marijuana in their apartment earlier this week, Penn State coach Joe Paterno said on his radio show Thursday night.

University police seized marijuana from an apartment shared by Evans, Koroma, Quarless and cornerback A.J. Wallace, who Paterno said was not involved in the incident and will be allowed to play Saturday against the Beavers.

No charges have been filed and the investigation is ongoing, Lt. Bill Moerschbacher of the Penn State university police wrote in an e-mail to ESPN.com.

"Wallace was really not part of that situation, but Evans and Quarless and Koroma were," Paterno said on the show. "It's unfortunate. We preach, preach, preach and they stepped out of line. They deserve what they're going to get. Whatever that's going to be, I don't know. My feeling on all of this is they have a responsibility to the program, they have a responsibility to themselves, to their family.

"They have responsibility to their teammates. And if they do something as dumb as it appears they did, and I'm not saying if they did or they didn't yet, but even being close to that kind of thing, I'm not going to play any one of those three kids this weekend."

Police were called to the apartment Tuesday night after reports of a loud party. They obtained a search warrant and found a small amount of marijuana.

The Philadelphia Inquirer reported that warrant listed only Wallace and Quarless as residents who were present during the search.

Evans, a first-team All-Big Ten selection, and Koroma are starters at defensive end and defensive tackle, respectively. Quarless, who was suspended for spring practice following a DUI arrest, is listed as a reserve tight end on Penn State's depth chart.

"They're all three good football players, they're not bad kids," Paterno said. "But you pay for it when you do dumb things. It's something that they'll be living with. ... I feel sorry for them and I wish I could do something besides saying, 'You're going to sit out this week, 'til I get all the information.' Because I don't have it all."

The suspensions are the latest in a series of off-field problems for Penn State. Paterno dismissed defensive tackles Phil Taylor and Chris Baker earlier this summer for their involvement in off-field incidents. Penn State also announced cornerback Willie Harriott has been dismissed from the team for an unrelated issue.

You mean this didnt make the posts yet????????

SteelCityMan786
09-04-2008, 07:48 PM
Wow, I'm stunned Joe is acting this fast. Yet again, I'd much rather they're taught a lesson.

Boy do I Wonder what we're going to have up front on the D-Line.

millwalldavey
09-04-2008, 07:51 PM
I sound like a hater all the time, but I do or at least did respect this program.

They seem to be attracting a criminal element these days, no?

lilyoder6
09-04-2008, 08:34 PM
are u ser millwalldavey????? they found a small amount of marijuana.. tell me that most of the ncaa players don't have that in the gym bag going to pratice/game?

rbryan
09-04-2008, 09:38 PM
Theres a lot of pressure on Joe Pa to step down from within the University. Its no coincidence that this kind of stuff is getting flagged now when it went unreported for years. Campus security?? are you kidding me. When I was at PS, anyone on the football team would have had to kill someone to make a rap sheet.

Galax Steeler
09-05-2008, 04:42 AM
are u ser millwalldavey????? they found a small amount of marijuana.. tell me that most of the ncaa players don't have that in the gym bag going to pratice/game?

I don't think it matters if they carry it with them if they get caught it is illegal then I think they should be punished.

millwalldavey
09-05-2008, 05:49 AM

Last I checked it was AGAINST THE LAW to carry any amount of the stuff. Maybe most of the players do... but these morons got caught with it.

Big difference between having the stuff and being caught BY LAW ENFORCEMENT with it.

Good excuse! Got anymore for them? They seem like they could use a guy who can come up with some for them lately.

klick81
09-05-2008, 10:18 AM
Wait wait...since when do cops feel the need to obtain search warrants to go quiet down a HOUSE PARTY?!

I think this is only ridiculous because it looks like they were being targeted for being football players.

millwalldavey
09-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Wait wait...since when do cops feel the need to obtain search warrants to go quiet down a HOUSE PARTY?!

I think this is only ridiculous because it looks like they were being targeted for being football players.

Good point. Maybe the are targeted because of their status. One would think at such a major university/program they would get a bit more leeway than most... but from my experience, athletes do seem to be targeted to some degree.

Perhaps they were being watched for a bit for something and the police took this as an opening to move in and arrest them?

Galax Steeler
09-05-2008, 04:23 PM
I think if you play the game and get caught then pay the price I do not feel sorry for them.

millwalldavey
09-05-2008, 04:26 PM
I think if you play the game and get caught then pay the price I do not feel sorry for them.

Amen.

lilyoder6
09-05-2008, 06:17 PM
rly?? i didn't make an excuse dumbass.. i never said they had it BECAUSE... i just replied to the comment that u said the psu is signing criminals b/c they had marijuana and all i said is most players have it and do it.. 2nd, Small amounts of marijuanna is LEGAL in Cali just to throw that out there...

and i would also agree on why would the police need a search warrant to tell them to keep the volume down??

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 11:17 AM
rly?? i didn't make an excuse dumbass.. i never said they had it BECAUSE... i just replied to the comment that u said the psu is signing criminals b/c they had marijuana and all i said is most players have it and do it.. 2nd, Small amounts of marijuanna is LEGAL in Cali just to throw that out there...

In case you didnt notice... the were not in "cali" when they were caught. And I'm the dumbass?

I also dont remember saying they were siging criminals. But if the shoe fits....

and i would also agree on why would the police need a search warrant to tell them to keep the volume down?

Not reading closely again I see. I montioned that they may have been watching them a while for something and took this complaint as a chance to move in. I come from police officers... I know a lot of the tricks of the trade.

It's also quite possible that they were targeted. Which if so, that is just wrong.

We had a Running Back from nearby Mount Carmel who was just arrested and is in the clink for selling dope. Maybe they wanna give him a call when he gets out.

(Its so nice to have my person to argue with on here now... I really feel like one of the family!)

lilyoder6
09-06-2008, 03:57 PM
[QUOTE=millwalldavey;431200]Last I checked it was AGAINST THE LAW to carry any amount of the stuff. QUOTE]

obvisouly u can't seem to find out that i was replyin to ur statements.. hence ur comment above and me saying that cali it is legal.. so nice try there dumbass u might want to learn when i am replying to a statement of urs or whether i am making an opion...

xfl2001fan
09-06-2008, 05:53 PM
Its against Pennsylvania law to carry any of this stuff. I could care less about California's stupidity and duality.

The players go caught and are paying the price. What I like about this is that they're paying the price against a team that is actually talented. It's not like when most other teams lose players, they lose them for the cupcakes. JoePa should be commended for making the hard (but just) decision to suspend them for a pretty big game on his schedule.

He could easily have waited for "further review" and then suspended them against an easier opponent.

No college program is exempt from having stupid players on their team, but the good ones get solid resolution fast.

lilyoder6
09-06-2008, 06:53 PM
i think joe did a good thing suspending them b4 anything else.. i still dont think that there is even a police report/charge has been applied to this yet..

i agree w/ u that he should be applauded for making the right choice even tho they were playing a team they could lose against... other colleges would suspend them 4 a game against harvard or some shitty school like that

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 06:58 PM
[QUOTE=millwalldavey;431200]Last I checked it was AGAINST THE LAW to carry any amount of the stuff. QUOTE]

obvisouly u can't seem to find out that i was replyin to ur statements.. hence ur comment above and me saying that cali it is legal.. so nice try there dumbass u might want to learn when i am replying to a statement of urs or whether i am making an opion...

I dont even think you know what you're talking about anymore.

fansince'76
09-06-2008, 07:01 PM

Cool it with the namecalling. We've been down this road before.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 07:06 PM
Cool it with the namecalling. We've been down this road before.

I'm guilty as well and apologize.

lilyoder6
09-06-2008, 09:04 PM
:o

ok.. i is sry :hug:

fansince'76
09-06-2008, 09:13 PM
I'm guilty as well and apologize.

:o

ok.. i is sry :hug:

Thank you both! :smile: :thumbsup: :drink:

Haiku_Dirtt
09-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Paterno rocks again. Cracking Skulls.

JoePa may be running on fumes but his team certainly got the message. It's about time that the Nittany Lions rise into the cream. Granted the road is well paved for them.

I'm SO SICK AND TIRED of the pretenders in Columbus getting top 3 rankings and BCS apperances because Tressell is more dapper than Joe. I think Joe is tired of that too.

Go PSU!!!!!

xfl2001fan
09-07-2008, 05:32 AM
I don't think OSU's #3 ranking has as much to do with Tressell as it does our number of returning starters on both sides of the ball. This year, it has much more to do with the number of starters returning to our top-notch defense where our replacement at DE is considered to be better than the guy who was drafted at #5.

lilyoder6
09-07-2008, 09:08 AM
well the game they played against ohio doesn't seem to me that they didn't return any starters from last yr...

also what happened to the tyrell pryor chant of him being god or w/e??? he did absolutly nothing in that game