PDA

View Full Version : Which well known politician is Sarah Palin most like? And what does it mean?

Mosca
09-05-2008, 09:29 AM
I think Palin's stance on the issues is most similar to Rick Santorum. On family, on abortion, on government, business, military... everything. If you like Rick Santorum, you'll like Sarah Palin.

Which, to me, makes McCain's comments about reaching out across party lines (despite his having voted with Bush 90% of the time over the last 8 years) all the more curious; if it were so, then why did he choose a running mate who is actually further right than Bush, especially considering his age and his health? If it were really true, wouldn't he have chosen someone like Lieberman? Maybe not Lieberman himself, but someone more moderate than Palin?

I understand the conservatives liking Palin. But McCain is sending out a confusing message; what he is saying and what he is doing are at cross purposes. I don't see any actual reaching out, as evidenced by his record and his choice of VP candidate. You can either vote for him as a conservative, or vote for him as a maverick... but he can't be both. He has to stand for something and stick to it, or the message gets watered down.

revefsreleets
09-05-2008, 10:10 AM
He has to solidify the far right vote...no Republican in the last 30-40 years has won without it.

This whole thing about him dying in office is a little overblown, too...see his 96 year old mom? She looked pretty spry to me...so it's wrong to assume that he's going to kick the bucket and she'll "inherit the mantle".

I don't like her stance on creationism, abortion, et al, but I like her credentials as far as bucking the system...it's why I've been a McCain fan for years, despite some of his far right stances on social issues. She balances the ticket in a few ways that he needed, and definitely appeals to the religious right, McCain won't win without strong support from that bloc.

The wild card is women. Just as almost all blacks will vote for Obama just because he's black (may not be PC to say so, but it's true), McCain is hoping to scoop up as many women as he can, ESPECIALLY the disgruntled Hillary contingency. There were widespread reports at the DNC of almost open mutiny against Obama from Hillary supporters...it's no stretch to see a big swing over to McCain from that camp.

GBMelBlount
09-05-2008, 10:53 AM
The wild card is women. Just as almost all blacks will vote for Obama just because he's black (may not be PC to say so, but it's true), McCain is hoping to scoop up as many women as he can, ESPECIALLY the disgruntled Hillary contingency. There were widespread reports at the DNC of almost open mutiny against Obama from Hillary supporters...[it's no stretch to see a big swing over to McCain from that camp.

Highly doubt it, Obama's platform is far closer to Hillary's than McCains'. The media will also help the left wing to solidify against the much bigger enemy by election time......conservatives.

Mosca
09-05-2008, 11:03 AM
GBMB, don't you think the media has made the Hillary/Obama split appear larger than it really is, in the name of "anything for a story?"

To my thinking, McCain's best strategy was to stay right where he was, pick a MOR running mate, and hammer on Obama's inexperience. I think that would have produced an election day dead heat. To his credit he's gone his own direction, but it's hard to see how it's helped him with anyone other than those whom he already had. The party base, even those who hated him, were/are going to hold their nose and vote for him anyhow, no way were they going to Obama, and it's only the liberals who are stupid enough to go third party and cut off their nose to spite their face (conservatives are far more pragmatic).

As someone who was swung to Bush in 2000, I feel pushed toward Obama in 2008.

Mosca
09-05-2008, 11:08 AM
And rev, the disgruntled Hillary contingency is still pissed, but they aren't going to vote arch-conservative based on chromosomes. My sister is a PO'd Hillary backer who is still really PO'd at Obama for not reaching out to her/them by himself, by name; he never really asked Hillary's supporters for their vote... Hillary asked them to go over to Obama, but Obama never did. THAT is what they are pissed about. She's still sulking, but there is no way, no way at all, that she is going to abandon the principles when it is time to pull the lever. It just isn't happening. She isn't ready to count herself for Obama if she gets polled, but she know what she is going to do in November.

X-Terminator
09-05-2008, 11:22 AM
And rev, the disgruntled Hillary contingency is still pissed, but they aren't going to vote arch-conservative based on chromosomes. My sister is a PO'd Hillary backer who is still really PO'd at Obama for not reaching out to her/them by himself, by name; he never really asked Hillary's supporters for their vote... Hillary asked them to go over to Obama, but Obama never did. THAT is what they are pissed about. She's still sulking, but there is no way, no way at all, that she is going to abandon the principles when it is time to pull the lever. It just isn't happening. She isn't ready to count herself for Obama if she gets polled, but she know what she is going to do in November.

You know what I saw the other day? In the rear window of someone's car, on one side, there was a Hillary for President sign. On the other side? A Democrats for McCain sign. I'm quite sure this person isn't the only Hillary supporter who is going to vote for McCain over Obama, so you can't just casually dismiss the notion.

Godfather
09-05-2008, 11:25 AM
Disagree that she's like Santorum. He was a sanctimonoius, self-serving douche. Palin is a tough reformer who challenged the establishment.

Godfather
09-05-2008, 11:27 AM
You know what I saw the other day? In the rear window of someone's car, on one side, there was a Hillary for President sign. On the other side? A Democrats for McCain sign. I'm quite sure this person isn't the only Hillary supporter who is going to vote for McCain over Obama, so you can't just casually dismiss the notion.

It's not just disgrunteld Hillary supporters. Hillary supporters are more conservative than Obama supporters, and McCain is the kind of Republican who would appeal to them.

Dino 6 Rings
09-05-2008, 12:17 PM
[QUOTE=Mosca;431228]I think Palin's stance on the issues is most similar to Rick Santorum. On family, on abortion, on government, business, military... everything. If you like Rick Santorum, you'll like Sarah Palin.

Which, to me, makes McCain's comments about reaching out across party lines (despite his having voted with Bush 90% of the time over the last 8 years) all the more curious; if it were so, then why did he choose a running mate who is actually further right than Bush, especially considering his age and his health? If it were really true, wouldn't he have chosen someone like Lieberman? Maybe not Lieberman himself, but someone more moderate than Palin?QUOTE]

Actually, McCain is a republican really only in the R by his name. He's a moderate by all accounts on all his stances. He does in fact cross party lines and does in fact, pissss off Rush Limbaugh, which should make the Dems very happy. Now, in choosing Palin he actually reached out, to the Conservative base of the Republican party. I would bet, that was kind of a tough choice for him, being that the Conservative Base of the Republican party is what destroyed and attacked him in 2000. Had Obama reached out to Hillary, that would have been bold considering what they had been through over the last 10 months or so with attacking each other. McCain basically gave an olive branch to the same people that he's been pisssssing off for years and that have left him high and dry on many of his ideas and attempts at policy reform.

Had McCain picked HIllary has his running mate, that would have been true pandering to the left wing, same as if he chose Lieberman.

Btw, for the Record, I wanted Rudy. Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative.

GBMelBlount
09-05-2008, 12:22 PM

I don't necessarily think he is. I just am not sure from an issues standpoint why that many would swing from Hillary to McCain..... Perhaps there are other factors that are more important in their decision. I just think Clinton and Obama are much closer ideologically.

Mosca
09-05-2008, 12:24 PM
Disagree that she's like Santorum. He was a sanctimonoius, self-serving douche. Palin is a tough reformer who challenged the establishment.

:sofunny:

LOL, personality wise, you are right. I like Palin's personality, a lot. But on the issues, they are right down the line, don't you think?

Godfather
09-05-2008, 02:36 PM
:sofunny:

LOL, personality wise, you are right. I like Palin's personality, a lot. But on the issues, they are right down the line, don't you think?

Maybe...but if you go by issues you can say the same about most Republicans.

But there are a couple of huge differences. Santorum is on record saying that women should stay home and raise the children. Palin is a strong, liberated, independent woman. Santorum is so out of touch he thinks any family can make it on one income. Palin is a middle-class American who knows better. Santorum has never had a real job, while Palin has run a business. While those differences aren't issue positions they'll be very important when it comes to how they approach their jobs.

The best analogy for Palin is Louisiana governor Bobby Jindal. Young, reformer, takes on the old boy network, doesn't look like a typical Republican. In fact, look for him in 2012 if Obama wins or if J-Mac wins and doesn't run for re-election.

One other key difference/ I'd hit Palin like the fist of an angry God. I'd hit Santorum with a two by four.

Preacher
09-05-2008, 05:30 PM
I constantly marvel at how republicans who want to "reach across the aisle" are supposed to drop their conservative principles.

The base of this conversation is just that.... how can McCain support those CONSERVATIVE principles and still reach across the aisle...and I that question a little conceited, as it says, you must believe OUR WAY before we can work with you in govt.

McCain can reach across the aisle to work with a democrat WITHOUT abandoning his principles. A dem can reach across the aisle to work with a REP. WITHOUT abandoning his principles.

As far as who Palin is like... I have heard two comparisons: A female TR and a frontier type Margaret Thatcher..

Mosca
09-05-2008, 05:51 PM
I constantly marvel at how republicans who want to "reach across the aisle" are supposed to drop their conservative principles.

The base of this conversation is just that.... how can McCain support those CONSERVATIVE principles and still reach across the aisle...and I that question a little conceited, as it says, you must believe OUR WAY before we can work with you in govt.

McCain can reach across the aisle to work with a democrat WITHOUT abandoning his principles. A dem can reach across the aisle to work with a REP. WITHOUT abandoning his principles.

As far as who Palin is like... I have heard two comparisons: A female TR and a frontier type Margaret Thatcher..

Those are both pretty good descriptions Preach, but I really think she has a ways to go experience wise before you could give that comparison; that would be like calling Barak Obama a modern Abraham Lincoln because he speaks well, don't you think? I'd like to see some more out of her, other than a combative attitude, before I considered comparing her to two of the greatest leaders of the 20th century.

Regarding reaching out, I think you missed my point somewhat. My point is that on the face of it, he actually turned away by nominating her. Obviously we don't have a crystal ball, and since no one has been elected yet we may never know what might happen. What I'm writing about is HOW he should go about winning the election, not whether he should or not. On the one hand, he speaks of reaching out, on the other his actions say that he is turning away.

As far as "abandoning principles", I don't think he should do that, not at all. My belief is that his best strategy, as I said, was to 1) stand by his principles; 2) screw talk of reaching out; 3) select a VP who was a younger version of himself; and 4) hammer on Obama's inexperience.

IMO that would have had him at dead even on election day. Hammering the inexperience thing was working, little by little, and now he can't use it.

Godfather
09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
Those are both pretty good descriptions Preach, but I really think she has a ways to go experience wise before you could give that comparison; that would be like calling Barak Obama a modern Abraham Lincoln because he speaks well, don't you think?

Better analogy than you think. TR and Lincoln both had thin political resumes before they became President. And TR was given the vice presidency because it was supposed to be a dead end job, so the party machine could do away with a reformer who was stepping on toes.

Preacher
09-05-2008, 07:34 PM
OR...

if we want to look at McCain as acting arrogantly (come on, he WAS a fighter pilot, how many aren't arrogant by nature and training)...

It could be that McCain thinks he can and will win. As a result, he picked someone who wasn't "trapped" by the system to sit as VP under him and thus, would be able to continue McCain's reforms of both the party and the government.

Godfather
09-06-2008, 01:29 PM
OR...

if we want to look at McCain as acting arrogantly (come on, he WAS a fighter pilot, how many aren't arrogant by nature and training)...

It could be that McCain thinks he can and will win. As a result, he picked someone who wasn't "trapped" by the system to sit as VP under him and thus, would be able to continue McCain's reforms of both the party and the government.

My bad. I typed that wrong.

Palin is like TR in the sense that she bucked the establishment. J-Mac put her on the ticket for that reason, which is the opposite of why TR was put on the ticket.