PDA

View Full Version : Hard Drive Enclosure

NJarhead
09-05-2008, 04:21 PM
Hello,

Due to a virus, I recently had to replace my hard drive. I was able to back up my files to an external HD, but I failed to back up my files again before this most recent failure. I was told that I can purchase a "Hard Drive Enclosure" and pull the file(s) I want from the HD.

This is for a Dell XPS M170. Can anyone offer any insight as to what type of enclosure I should purchase? Any additional info/tip is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Patrick.

MACH1
09-05-2008, 05:29 PM
I have one for my laptop. Its an internal HD, The case I have is just a little box that the HD plugs into. And on the outside it has a USB plug. I went cheap and got mine off e-bay for about $6.

NJarhead
09-05-2008, 06:15 PM
I have one for my laptop. Its an internal HD, The case I have is just a little box that the HD plugs into. And on the outside it has a USB plug. I went cheap and got mine off e-bay for about $6.

So the files look like regular files? (i.e. "My Documents" & "My Music" etc.)

Thanks.

MACH1
09-05-2008, 07:32 PM
Yeah, you can make copies of them on it or create new ones. Then its just like any other file. The only thing you can't do(at least I haven't fingered it out) is boot windows from it. I think it has to do something with being plugged in with USB.

MACH1
09-06-2008, 11:52 AM
^^^ I haven't ran into any problems like that. All I did was wipe out the HD with KillDisk then reformatted it. I just use it for storage and backing up. Its a 160GB drive. I haven't run into any ownership problems.

If you want to clone your hard drive to the external I use Acronis True Image. Acronis true image has a free 15 day trial, and this is very simple to use. Purchase price is anywhere from $25 on sale to $40. It is by far the easiest to use.