PDA

View Full Version : How Palin Beat Alaska's Establishment

stillers4me
09-05-2008, 06:47 PM
From today's Wallstreet Journal.

It really explained to me just what Palin did in Alaska to cause such a stir. Enjoy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/potomac_watch.html

Preacher
09-05-2008, 07:21 PM
THAT...

is a great read. Republican or Democrat, you have to appreciate a person who stands up to people like that.

stillers4me
09-05-2008, 07:24 PM
THAT...

is a great read. Republican or Democrat, you have to appreciate a person who stands up to people like that.

And just think what she could do in Washington. I mean, the possiblities are endless! :chuckle:

And yes......I actually read the WSJ at lunch sometimes. (at least the ones with pictures :wink02:)

xfl2001fan
09-05-2008, 07:36 PM
From today's Wallstreet Journal.

It really explained to me just what Palin did in Alaska to cause such a stir. Enjoy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/potomac_watch.html

An interesting read and I'm certainly looking forward to our more "politically savvy" readers to provide their input. :popcorn:

Preacher
09-05-2008, 07:45 PM
Here's the thing...

Rep. or Dem... I want our leaders to put an end to pork spending. Both the REP and DEM parties are replete with "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" politics. One thing I can say about the GOP ticket... they don't.

Yeah, I call that two mavericks.

xfl2001fan
09-05-2008, 07:49 PM
No doubt Preacher. If anything, I am probably much more conservative than liberal (forget the parties themselves, as I have issues with each anyways.)

While "I scratch your back, you scratch mine" has its place in an individual's life, it shouldn't be the backbone of politics. It should be used more as a "failsafe" than a way of life.

Preacher
09-05-2008, 10:41 PM
xfl...

I CAN"T beleive I am about to say this.

But what I like... is that McCain went conservative and picked a conservative running mate... that in many ways, ARE NOT REPUBLICAN.

They both have bucked the system... and thank goodness.

I am SHOCKED that McCain has turned to a conservative.... so far. Let's see.

tony hipchest
09-06-2008, 01:33 AM
How Palin "Beat" Alaska's Establishment

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/13373-2-4997_3.jpg

:hunch:

Preacher
09-06-2008, 03:37 AM
How Palin "Beat" Alaska's Establishment

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q23/shortyshane_2006/13373-2-4997_3.jpg

:hunch:

Tony...

We really don't CARE how LITP gets his dates...

stillers4me
09-06-2008, 07:43 AM
Typical lib response. :chuckle:

I posted the same article in another forum and and when confronted with straight facts that couldn't be argued with, I was called a "knuckle dragger". :sofunny:

Tony, Tony, Tony.........I never grow weary of your creativity!

xfl2001fan
09-06-2008, 07:53 AM
xfl...

I CAN"T beleive I am about to say this.

But what I like... is that McCain went conservative and picked a conservative running mate... that in many ways, ARE NOT REPUBLICAN.

They both have bucked the system... and thank goodness.

I am SHOCKED that McCain has turned to a conservative.... so far. Let's see.

The two party establishment isn't a bad thing, as they do give foundations for different peoples viewpoints...unfortunately, it seems like most Americans have changed their viewpoints and the parties haven't adjusted accordingly.

It would almost be better to have another change in the party system to reflect a collective Conservative view and a collective Liberal view.

The bucking of the conventional system is what we need from both parties. The fact that McCain/Palin both are on that page already is a refreshing turn of events. I think that alone is just about enough to sway voters who were on the fence towards McCains way.

If the Obama/Biden were along those lines, I don't know that McCain would stand a chance, as Obama is a far more charismatic personality. Regardless of the issues, charisma can carry quite a bit of weight amongst the masses. I'd venture to say that 75% of voters are simple-minded enough to fall for pretty words.

TroysBadDawg
09-06-2008, 08:03 AM
yesterday I met a staunch Obama supporter. I asked her what are the changes he is promising, please tell me I would like to know. But please don't tell me your for higher taxes.
She responded anything is better than another 3 more years. I asked her if she knew the issues and she said she didn't want 3 more years f the same.
How shallow are the voters just repeating what they hear in the media and not knowing the issues?

stillers4me
09-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Regardless of the issues, charisma can carry quite a bit of weight amongst the masses. I'd venture to say that 75% of voters are simple-minded enough to fall for pretty words.

Truer words were never spoken!

One reason I posted the article in another forum I frequent, is observing how much BS was being said about Palin. They were discussing the "fact" that they had " heard Palin had the "in" with oil companies "like Bush". Some people just hear every third word which I guess happened to be "palin" and "oil companies" so they were basing their opinion on "facts" that weren't true at all. Go figure. And still, when presented straight, in arguable facts, I was called a "knuckle dragger'.

I'm a firm believer in giving Wunderlic tests outside of the voting booth/ :chuckle:

stillers4me
09-06-2008, 08:05 AM
yesterday I met a staunch Obama supporter. I asked her what are the changes he is promising, please tell me I would like to know. But please don't tell me your for higher taxes.
She responded anything is better than another 3 more years. I asked her if she knew the issues and she said she didn't want 3 more years f the same.
How shallow are the voters just repeating what they hear in the media and not knowing the issues?

The one thing I have to give the Democrats credit for is having great bumper sticker slogans!

And being able to appeal to the uninformed! :doh:

TroysBadDawg
09-06-2008, 08:14 AM
The Obama supporter told me that Palin had no experience, I asked her what experience Obama had, or Clinton? She is a Senator I was told, I responded a Senator with how many days experience? She responded "years". I told her to get an education, she said she was a teacher for my information. I responded I am also a teacher and an educated one, unlike you. Then walked away from her, as she shouted at me the Democratic party will over come the conservatives every day. I shouted back "enjoy the taxes you will pay remember you want change. that is all you will have left." And left the store to a tirade from the wife about me embarrassing her in front of another teacher. I told her I was embarrassed to be with her and her liberal attitude. She insists she is not liberal ... RIGHT!

stillers4me
09-06-2008, 08:30 AM
The Obama supporter told me that Palin had no experience, I asked her what experience Obama had, or Clinton? She is a Senator I was told, I responded a Senator with how many days experience? She responded "years". I told her to get an education, she said she was a teacher for my information. I responded I am also a teacher and an educated one, unlike you. Then walked away from her, as she shouted at me the Democratic party will over come the conservatives every day. I shouted back "enjoy the taxes you will pay remember you want change. that is all you will have left." And left the store to a tirade from the wife about me embarrassing her in front of another teacher. I told her I was embarrassed to be with her and her liberal attitude. She insists she is not liberal ... RIGHT!

Poor TBD! The inhumanity of being surrounded by both Brownies fans AND bleeding heart liberals at the same time! :hug:

I feel for ya, buddy! :chuckle:

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-06-2008, 08:34 AM

(From the movie Team America)

Janeane Garofolo: As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it's our own opinion.

stillers4me
09-06-2008, 08:38 AM
(From the movie Team America)

Janeane Garofolo: As actors, it is our responsibility to read the newspapers, and then say what we read on television like it's our own opinion.

Which explains their out of touch statements! :applaudit:

revefsreleets
09-06-2008, 08:18 PM
The McCain/Palin ticket needs to POUND this message into America's collective head for the next two months: "You want something different? We ARE different!...and here's EXACTLY how"

We aren't a collectively intelligent people, so they need to scream it loud and long, but, eventually, they MAY be able to overcome the incredibly dense and completely invalid perception that McCain is W II, and that they offer 4 more of the same.

How many people here have parroted that sentiment?

xfl2001fan
09-06-2008, 08:26 PM
I don't know that its many, but they say it loud and a lot, so it seems like more...which just goes to prove the first portion of your post.

millwalldavey
09-06-2008, 08:27 PM
That avatar of the Sleestack is awesome

cubanstogie
09-06-2008, 08:37 PM
The one thing I have to give the Democrats credit for is having great bumper sticker slogans!

And being able to appeal to the uninformed! :doh:

I swore I was done with politics on this forum, oh well one more won't hurt. You hit the nail on the head with your last statement. So many democrats buy into the "change" slogan. It's all anti Bush. What does change mean, no one answers.Hopefully the debates will tell us something. Most conservatives want change as well. Not drastically enough to vote for Obama though. IMO dems prey on the target audience of young people, people hurt by the housing or other financial problems, people on welfare, and elderly scared of the lack of social security and healthcare. There don't seem to be any solutions just the word change, which some people buy into. Is it enough to win the election, maybe. But ever since Palin named I feel a big momentum shift. I admit I could have blinders on, but thats how I feel.

cubanstogie
09-06-2008, 08:39 PM

my favorite browns fan. nice one!