PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Coordinator

Avoid LLoyd1975
11-25-2005, 07:26 PM
With some of the play calling as of lately, do you all think we should can Whisenhunt after this year? I don't have much confidence in this guy calling our plays. I think Ben makes him look better than what he is.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2005, 07:30 PM
Wiz is a great coordinator IMO. He did a superb job last year, and when he has the weapons he needs at his disposal, namely Ben, Hines, Parker, Bus, Heath Miller, etc.. the guy can call a stellar game.

PLus, remember its Cowhers ultimate decision as to how the game should be called in terms of the strategy so we cant blame Wiz completely. Plus when u have Tommy in there the last couple weeks, it limits what you can do becuz the defense knows u cant throw to save ur life.

Suitanim
11-25-2005, 07:40 PM
We'll be lucky if he's not interviewed and hired away after this year...he's done a lot the last few weeks with very little at his disposal. We had four weeks "under the influence" of Tommy Maddox and managed to win two of those games, and could have won all 4.

I disagree with anyone who says the gameplan against the Ravens was stupid. The Steelers faced a top 5 defense and tried to fool them by throwing the ball with a seventh rate washed up loser, and almost pulled it off.

Again, the bottom line is, if Ben was healthy, we are 9-1 heading into this game, and have played a tougher schedule than the Colts, to boot. If the Colts had to play their last 4 games with Tommy Maddox, they'd be 6-4....

SteelCityMan786
11-25-2005, 07:49 PM
For Now Keep him but If he keeps coaching real bad with the O GET HIM OUTTA HERE!

BlitzburghRockCity
11-25-2005, 10:03 PM
We'll be lucky if he's not interviewed and hired away after this year...he's done a lot the last few weeks with very little at his disposal. We had four weeks "under the influence" of Tommy Maddox and managed to win two of those games, and could have won all 4.

I disagree with anyone who says the gameplan against the Ravens was stupid. The Steelers faced a top 5 defense and tried to fool them by throwing the ball with a seventh rate washed up loser, and almost pulled it off.

Again, the bottom line is, if Ben was healthy, we are 9-1 heading into this game, and have played a tougher schedule than the Colts, to boot. If the Colts had to play their last 4 games with Tommy Maddox, they'd be 6-4....

Im not sure I'd wish Tommy on even the colts :rofl: oh wait, yeah I would :grin:

Suitanim
11-25-2005, 10:19 PM
Really, though, sans the "Tommy Effect", we'd be going in as equals, not vast underdogs. It's probably best this way, though...

pitt
11-26-2005, 12:52 AM
Keep him around.

steeler47
11-26-2005, 08:30 AM
I think on occasion he has outthought himself on some plays but I think overall he has given our offence the unexpected play calling at times which confused and left the opposing D standing there wondering where the last play came from.

Stlrs4Life
11-26-2005, 10:13 AM
Keep him. We've seen worse with Mularkey.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2005, 11:33 AM
When Ben has played and been healthy (which was not the case when he hurt his knee on the first drive of the Ravens game), the offensive play calling usually has been fine. With a healthy Ben, the only game where the play calling bothered me was the New England game, where the Steelers gave up on the run too early.

As has been noted in other posts, the O-line has not been as dominant, we have had a healthy Ben for only 50% of the games, and all three potential starters at running back have been injured at one time or another. Starting Maddox twice creates probems no play calling scheme can overcome.

Do not be surprised if Wiz gets a head coaching job after this season- there are going to be a lot of openings.

I have been more distressed with the defensive play calling - in that case injuries to the LBs may be limiting what LeBeau can call.

BB2W
11-26-2005, 11:50 AM
I like Whis, and I like any stability in our assistant coaching staff. Usually being an assistant in Pittsburgh is usually a short stop until you are offered a head coach job. Whis was actually on ESPN's "Unsung Heros" and there was some talk of him getting a head coach job. I wouldn't think he would get any offers until next season. :twocents:

AvoidLLoyd95
11-26-2005, 12:00 PM
It's not his fault that Maddox couldn't handle the plays given to him. Three losses this year with a combined total of 12 points, 11 in overtime, 3 on a last second field goal. They have not been blown out yet and should be 9-1 at least. Why would you think he is doing a bad job?

clevestinks
11-26-2005, 02:53 PM
When healthy, our O is fine.

Ambridge
11-26-2005, 05:44 PM
Keep him. We've seen worse with Mularkey.

Occasionally Whisenhunt reminds me of Mularkey with the predictable draw and screen plays on third down.

StillerPaul
11-26-2005, 06:49 PM
I'm fine with him as long as he calls an even game. IMO, we need to pass just as much as we run or we'll be too one dimensional. Thats my only gripe.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2005, 08:26 PM
The OL is generally fine, the play calling is generally fine, the running game is generally fine... as long as Ben is the QB.

Its sad to say, but unless Ben is in there, we dont accomplish much offensive firepower. We do ok w/ Batch, and of course Terrible w/ Tommy....but Ben makes this offense go, when he's in there, he can avoid the rush, move around the pocket, run, pass, roll out, everything you need to do to keep that extra defender outta the box.