PDA

View Full Version : Woodley!

revefsreleets
09-07-2008, 03:39 PM
Dude deserves his own thread. Some of us have known since college he was a stud, but it's time to give this dude some LOVE!

Barring injury, the next super stud 3-4 LB in Da Burgh. I'm perfectly willing to forgive the fact that he played for that state up north.

fansince'76
09-07-2008, 03:48 PM
Kid's a monster! :tt: :tt02: :tt:

Edman
09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
Looks like my little prediction that Woodley/Harrison is the next 1994 Greene/Lloyd combo is off to a good start.

tony hipchest
09-07-2008, 04:02 PM
quiver and quake, blitzburgh vol. II

Preacher
09-07-2008, 04:03 PM
Just wait until Timmons comes in as well.

We are in for some GOOD years.

Texasteel
09-07-2008, 04:10 PM
Good chance Pittsburgh will have 2 All Pro LBs this year.

NV STEELERS 723
09-07-2008, 04:27 PM
I think Timmons should start ...what a wrecking crew that is!

lilyoder6
09-07-2008, 04:37 PM
that would be an insane lb core...

GBMelBlount
09-07-2008, 04:38 PM

My thoughts exactly on Timmons. Regarding Woodley, the kid is an absolute beast.

STEELAMANIA
09-07-2008, 04:42 PM
Our defense was fun to watch today..........

stillers4me
09-07-2008, 04:49 PM
quiver and quake, blitzburgh vol. II

Now that we're out of the Locker Room, I can totally agree with you, Tony! :applaudit:

Sharkissle29
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM
our defense is absolutely amazing. lots of pressure on schaub today, extremely physical, this is and will be the baddest D in the league this year.

stillers4me
09-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Not bad for a bunch of old guys. :chuckle:

Godfather
09-07-2008, 05:21 PM
That was an awesome coming out party.

Mosca
09-07-2008, 05:25 PM

We are in for some GOOD years.

It's Wood's thread, but Timmons had a good game too. He stayed in his gaps and kept his shoulders square. It took a perfect throw & catch to beat him on the TD, covering a WR.

klick81
09-07-2008, 06:01 PM
It was GREAT to see some pressure on the qb today. We were missing that all of last year, and now we have it thanks in part to Woodley.

Man, that was good defensive play.

LVSteelersfan
09-07-2008, 07:07 PM
STEELERS D ROCKS !!!!!!!!!! Woodley is a beast. Harrison is a beast. Polomolu looked good today. The Clowns better be afraid. VERY AFRAID !!!!!!!! No weaknesses until the second unit came in the game.

redst3
09-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Woodley's interception looked great.

PalmerSteel
09-07-2008, 07:26 PM
is it too early to say we got the best outside LB duo in the league? i think not! :tt03:

revefsreleets
09-07-2008, 07:57 PM
Farrior was no slouch today either...

X-Terminator
09-07-2008, 08:01 PM
Farrior was no slouch today either...

Yeah, and after some people on this board questioned the FO for giving him that contract extension at his age. Potsie is nowhere near done.

Galax Steeler
09-07-2008, 08:12 PM
Hell yea good to see Woodley playing a good game and sacking the quarterback.

OX1947
09-07-2008, 08:27 PM
Silverback has 3 sacks and no one is talking about him, thats how good everyone else was...

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-07-2008, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I was elated when he got drafted in round 2 last year, after watching him for 4 years at Michigan.

Haggans was good, but Woodley is a definate upgrade. Basically a stronger, but not as quick version of Merriman without the theatrics.

The dude is a natural leader too.

Sharkissle29
09-07-2008, 09:29 PM
that must be scary having woodley and harrison coming at you from the outside......

WWIIOwheelz
09-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Who to doubleteam? :chuckle:

I've been saying it since TC---- this defense will get to the quarterback a LOT this year, maybe more than Lloyd & Greene did.

kmsteelerwr15
09-07-2008, 09:34 PM
that must be scary having woodley and harrison coming at you from the outside......

not to mention Foote, Farrior, and Timmons coming from the middle :tt02:

millwalldavey
09-07-2008, 10:04 PM
I oved him as a Wolverine and loved him as a draft pick... He was OUTSTADING TODAY!

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-07-2008, 10:06 PM
i think that was one of the best defensive games that i have seen the steelers play..
Woodley. 1 sac, 1 int, 1 fumble recovery. CRAZY.... Here we go steelers... Here we GO

Mosca
09-07-2008, 10:09 PM
What I saw was a secondary that was good enough to cover everyone when we rushed 5 and 6 guys. Polamalu got his first INT since when, '05? Carter was all over the field, Deshea just missed an INT, Taylor didn't let anyone behind him.

An impressive place to build from.

tyler289
09-07-2008, 10:40 PM
It was encouraging to see Troy get an interception and be all over the field.

Offenses are going to have fits with Woodley, Harrison, Farrior, Foote, Polamalu....and let's not forget Timmons, who had 4 tackles today...

lilyoder6
09-07-2008, 10:52 PM
timmons had 3 tackles.. lol.. but still nice to see we have the playmakers healthy and kicking ass

kmsteelerwr15
09-07-2008, 11:31 PM
Now I just cant wait to see Harrison and Woodley to be all over Anderson next week :tt03:

FordsnSteelers
09-08-2008, 02:32 AM
Look...what is it!?....Its Harrison....Polamalu...Taylor...Woodley...Kesiel.. .Timmions....Farrior!!!!!!

Puttin QBs in a Body Bag (so to speak)...

Im glad to see WHO is WHO again...Anyone who disagrees with the Steelers....see me...i kno i dont post enuff...but...c...me...ill show any bungles, ratbird, etc. fan what it is!!! See...ME...!!!!!!!!

Haiku_Dirtt
09-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Dude deserves his own thread. Some of us have known since college he was a stud, but it's time to give this dude some LOVE!

Barring injury, the next super stud 3-4 LB in Da Burgh. I'm perfectly willing to forgive the fact that he played for that state up north.

He had better luck playing east of the Mississippi in college but Good Lord...

Couldn't agree more about how he played. He caught what Ike drops 10 times out of 10.

Galax Steeler
09-08-2008, 04:29 AM
Woodley has his coming out party

By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

Steelers Notebook
LaMarr Woodley has come a long way in just one season. Last year there were games when he played only on special teams and a few that you could easily count the number of defensive snaps he was in on. He was inactive for several games. And it was rare that he saw extensive action on defense.
Against the Texans on Sunday, Woodley was one of the team’s most visible defenders, making his presence known all day long.
Woodley made his first NFL start against Houston, lining up at left outside linebacker and was quick to show why he earned that spot following the departure of free agent Clark Haggans. He sacked Texans quarterback Matt Schaub for a nine-yard loss, recovered a fumble and had an interception. Not a bad way to start at all.
“As a rookie, not playing a lot, you come in and it’s kind of like a learning experience that first year,” said Woodley. “After that first year, you’re not a rookie anymore; guys expect a lot out of you. You should expect a lot out of yourself, and your teammates are going to expect a lot out of you.”

Woodley didn’t waste any time getting into the flow of the game, bringing pressure on Schaub on the Texans second drive of the game. The Texans had a first down at the Steelers 42-yard line, trying to answer the Steelers touchdown drive. But Woodley wouldn’t have any parts of letting them in the game, sacking Schaub for a nine-yard loss. When James Farrior and Nick Eason combined for a sack two plays later, it ended the drive.

“When you get a sack, you have to get credit to the guys up front and the guys in the back – the guys up front for applying the pressure and the credit to the guys in back for sticking to their coverage and allowing the quarterback to hold the ball a little bit,” said Woodley. “They let me get in and get the glory.”

It was just the beginning for him. In the second quarter Schaub was under pressure from James Harrison and tried to get the ball to Daniel Anderson. Instead Woodley was right there, picking off the pass and returning it six yards. Two plays later the Steelers took advantage of the play when Ben Roethlisberger hit Hines Ward for a 13-yard touchdown.

“I was dropping back into coverage,” said Woodley. “Deshea (Townsend) told me right before the play started, ‘Make sure you get underneath that guy.’ And I just did what he said. I got underneath him and got the interception.”

Woodley helped to close the door on another Texans drive in the fourth quarter. Harrison sacked Schaub and knocked the ball free and Woodley came up with the fumble recovery to complete a nice defensive trifecta.

http://news.steelers.com/article/95757/

SteelMember
09-08-2008, 09:02 AM
Woodley had some very good pressure. His motor never stopped (like his run to the fumble), and he showed some nice hands on the int.

Harrison pretty much schooled the rookie at LT. He looked very frustrated. So sorry. not.

It was encouraging to see Troy get an interception and be all over the field.
The pick was nice, but that first hit he laid out.......KA-POW!:tt03: I thought he KO'd himself.

revefsreleets
09-08-2008, 09:39 AM
He had better luck playing east of the Mississippi in college but Good Lord...

Couldn't agree more about how he played. He caught what Ike drops 10 times out of 10.

OMG, are you incapable of making a post without somehow bashing the Big Ten and trumping the vast superiority of West Coast football? It's like a broken record.

The_WARDen
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
The kid looks like a monster! For his size, he moves exceptionally well. How do you block him?

RunWillieRun
09-08-2008, 10:55 AM
This pic from the kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com blog:

:tt02:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/09/woodley_kills.jpg

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2008, 10:59 AM
The one thing that many overlook is Woodley's ability to stop the run. He is so thick and powerful for an OLB, that he stood up the OT several times, forcing the run to go inside or bounce even wider.

He's just a good all around football player.

tony hipchest
09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
i will still never forget pete carroll, before the 07 draft, say that woodley would be an average player in the nfl but want all pro material.

Steeldude
09-08-2008, 12:09 PM
harrison and woodley made good bookends sunday. timmons was active. it won't be long before he is starting. eason was active too. i was saying in another thread that it is great news to eason play well. hopefully he builds on it. the steelers will need good reserves down the stretch.

anyone see harrison get taken down by the LT? it's amazing how many of those calls the refs miss.

good to have clark back. give smith some more time to learn the ropes, but i don't think he is going to be a good FS for the steelers. he seems to be more of a SS.

leftwich needs to reduce his fastball a little.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
i will still never forget pete carroll, before the 07 draft, say that woodley would be an average player in the nfl but want all pro material.

When did pete say that?? Was he acting as an analyst on some draft show?? Maybe he was projecting him as a 4-3DE. What a pinhead.

SteelerFanInCA
09-08-2008, 12:37 PM
Woodley had a solid game yesterday. Hopefully he can keep up that pace.

#1LambertFan
09-08-2008, 12:38 PM
I think Timmons should start ...what a wrecking crew that is!

That is the dream team, The Four Horsemen bringing death and destruction to anyone that tries to touch their football!!! Another thing, and I know I'm probably gonna get scolded for this but I do see a little Jack Lambert in Harrison. He lets his play do the talking (not bragging or boasting to media), he plays a hell of of a lot like him, and he doesn't take anything from anyone (does anyone recall a certain slamming Browns fan story, and not to mention the countless times Lambert absolutely owned somebody). I think that I'd rather compare the duo to Lambert and Ham, even though the size and position differences!

Kvnfaber
09-08-2008, 02:52 PM
Woodley had a solid game yesterday. Hopefully he can keep up that pace.

Not trying to be a smartarse. but a solid game like that for an entire season would be the single best defensive season by any player, ever!

16 sacks, 16 Fumble recoveries, 16 interceptions!

fansince'76
09-08-2008, 02:54 PM

That's probably part of the reason why Carroll is at USC now instead of still coaching in the NFL.

Kvnfaber
09-08-2008, 02:58 PM
I can't imagine what offensive coordinators are going to be thinking of when they try to gameplan for the monsters that are Harrison and Woodley. You can only double team one of them conventionally, and even if you did put two guys on both, that just free's up our other playmakers (Aaron Smith will cash in).

The bottom line for having a dominant defense, is to have players that demand more than one blocker...i.e. Casey Hampton.

rich4eagle
09-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Woodley played extremely well.........enjoy it for now