PDA

View Full Version : In Re Stupid Waste of money that the TSA is...

revefsreleets
09-07-2008, 03:55 PM
http://www.parade.com/hot-topics/intelligence-report/archive/the-wrong-way-to-protect-airports

The Wrong Way To Protect Airports?
The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is rolling out new procedures that it says will keep us safer when we fly. Some specifics? New shirts and headsets for checkpoint workers, plus two days of specialized training in how to keep passengers calm. But we’ll still be forced to take off our shoes and relinquish liquids in containers larger than three ounces—a strategy some security experts say is inherently flawed. “If defending the target—an airport or an airplane—is your plan of defense, you’re doomed to failure,” says aviation-security expert Bruce Schneier of BT (British Telecom). “The liquids ban is just plain stupid. We should be putting our emphasis on intelligence and investigation.”

TSA has placed more than 2000 behavior-detection experts at airports across the country, but critics say U.S. security strategy still focuses too much on finding bombs rather than bombers. Israel, home to many of the world’s most devastating terror attacks, has a different approach to security. Liquid sizes are restricted, but first-class passengers are given steak knives. Travelers in Israel are interviewed by highly trained security experts. In the U.S., billions are spent instead on scanning machines and other technology to detect weapons. “The Israelis ask questions, and they profile the situation, not the person,” explains Seth Cropsey, a former Defense Department official. “It’s often a much more thorough approach to security.”

Some cite the fact that we’ve gone seven years without another terror attack as evidence that TSA’s strategy is working. The problem, says Cropsey, is that we really don’t know if “the massive amount of technology that we have thrown at the problem actually works or whether it has been intelligence and other methods overseas that have prevented another air attack. I hate to speculate on that answer,” he adds, “because I fly.”
— Lyric Wallwork Winik

Preacher
09-07-2008, 03:58 PM
Hey Suit...

I understand what your saying, but there is no WAY the ACLU will allow those "interviews."

I can here the SCREAMS of profiling and racism even now.

Godfather
09-07-2008, 05:10 PM
Hey Suit...

I understand what your saying, but there is no WAY the ACLU will allow those "interviews."

I can here the SCREAMS of profiling and racism even now.

Well, the article says Israel doesn't profile the individual, so thta means no racial profiling. But on the other hand facts never mattered to the ACLU.