PDA

View Full Version : steelers' toughest schedule in the nfl

tony hipchest
09-08-2008, 10:48 AM
...mathematically just got a bit easier yesterday. our opponents winning percentage droopped a bit, as did our strength of schedule. jacksonville, san diego, and indy all lost games they were expected to win. the browns lost as expected, and it appears, although they won, the patriots will be significantly weakened this year.

we led the day in scoring with a pretty basic "vanilla" offense most of the time and according to keisel, a vanilla defense that barely gave up 200 yds.

our toughest opponents could be the NFC east, and ben proved as a rookie he can handle all 4 of those teams.

not to diminish the teams we face, they will be tough, but our "hard" schedule is nothing but numbers and anything can happen until we get to the meat of it. hopefully one of those things to happen is the steelers get better and not get bored when they blow teams out.

jjpro11
09-08-2008, 10:50 AM
this happens pretty much every year.. the hardest schedules in preseason always soften up and by the end of the season, are usually middle of the pack in terms of strength. i think philly looks stronger than had been anticipated though. dallas looks as good as they were last year.

Mosca
09-08-2008, 11:11 AM
I agree with jjpro11. When it was released, the first thought balloon in my mind said, "ON PAPER...."

Teams rise and fall in the off season, and also during the season. Based on yesterday, the Philly game just got harder... but how long has it been since McNabb played a full season? 2004. I don't see it happening this year. He might not be out by the 21st, but who knows?

Edman
09-08-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree. Right now, the toughest games look like they come from the NFC East.

Eagles and Cowboys won in dominating fashion yesterday, destroying teams they were supposed to destroy, much like the Steelers. They look like the difficult games right now. Mcnabb looks to be back to 2004 form and Desean Jackson is closing in on Rookie of the Year.

Indy, New England, Jacksonville, and San Diego looked vulnerable against their opponents. 'Cinderella' David Garrard turned into a pumpkin against the Titans.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Denver, Tennesee, The Jets and Buffalo may actually be the dangerous teams this year. Baltimore looks like the competiton in the AFC North, not Cleveland. Why not? Unlike Cleveland, they've actually beaten the Steelers a few times and still have a pretty good Defense. The Bungles as usual suck.

That's what I see after week one.

MACH1
09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
I agree, it looks tough on paper. But its only the first game, its kind of hard to gauge all teams with just one game. Any of them could turn it around and get hot at any time.

After all remember our first game after winning the SB. And we all know how that season turned out.

Dino 6 Rings
09-08-2008, 01:02 PM
The only part of the schedule that matters is...Who's Next...

Now we must defeat Cleveland, that's all that matters. I care about nothing else other than winning Game 2 and being 2-0 and on top of the AFC North...which is our Birthright.

jjpro11
09-08-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree. Right now, the toughest games look like they come from the NFC East.

Eagles and Cowboys won in dominating fashion yesterday, destroying teams they were supposed to destroy, much like the Steelers. They look like the difficult games right now. Mcnabb looks to be back to 2004 form and Desean Jackson is closing in on Rookie of the Year.

Indy, New England, Jacksonville, and San Diego looked vulnerable against their opponents. 'Cinderella' David Garrard turned into a pumpkin against the Titans.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Denver, Tennesee, The Jets and Buffalo may actually be the dangerous teams this year. Baltimore looks like the competiton in the AFC North, not Cleveland. Why not? Unlike Cleveland, they've actually beaten the Steelers a few times and still have a pretty good Defense. The Bungles as usual suck.

That's what I see after week one.

jacksonville lost both of their starting guards for the season too btw.

Galax Steeler
09-09-2008, 04:39 AM
jacksonville lost both of their starting guards for the season too btw.

Thats a huge blow for them also.

stillers4me
09-09-2008, 06:17 AM
I expect everyone on this board to be making ritual sacrifices to the football gods each week for the health and safety of our players.

I have a plethora of Bengals merchandise at my disposal if anyone needs them.

(Bengal fans are also an option) :chuckle:

GBMelBlount
09-09-2008, 08:54 AM
Dino 5 Rings
The only part of the schedule that matters is...Who's Next...

I really never thought twice about the difficulty of our schedule. If our team is that good, and collectively focused on one thing only, the ring, the average winning percentage of teams on our schedule means nothing imo.

stlrtruck
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
It doesn't matter what the schedule looks like at this point. The Steelers need to take this one game at a time and nothing more.

SteelMember
09-09-2008, 09:42 AM
Gotta put the blinders on and focus on the ultimate goal. SuperBowl.

As the cliche goes, " one play at a time, one game at a time."

LVSteelersfan
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
Cleveland looked bad but road games, especially in the division, are always a crap shoot. Even someone as bad as the Bungles could bite us in the butt if we take them too lightly. We SHOULD be able to beat Cleveland, but we SHOULD have been able to beat AZ, NYJ, Broncos, etc. last year. I look forward to Woodley and Harrison putting the lumber to other teams. The question is, will the other teams be able to counter and take advantage of our weaknesses. The secondary is good but has been shown to be vulnerable at times to long pass plays and third and longs. We have to tighten that up. The Special Teams actually looked good. Halleleugha, Fox and Moore were good pickups.

CanadianSteel
09-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Agree take each game one at a time and show some more consistancy this year.

It does however appear that many of our opponenets are wekened with injuries.
Pats *, Jags (Shawn Merriman also reported done for year)

Saying that...... lets also wish for heath for our 2008 Steelers...

Havik
09-09-2008, 10:15 PM
The thing about the NFL is that anything can change, a sucky team can turn it around and have a winning season, and a good team can end up having a bad season. A lot of our competition has been affected by injuries. The Giants and Chargers have lost their best pass rushers for the season, and the Patriots are without Brady. The Colts defense was terrible and couldn't stop the run. The Jags lost 2 offensive linemen to injuries and Marcus Stroud to the Bills, and looked very mediocre against the Titans. Meanwhile the Bills and Broncos had very impressive performances. I'm starting to think with the way things are playing out the Browns may now have the toughest schedule in the NFL, not the Steelers.

SteelCityMan786
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
On Paper and On the Field are two great differences sometimes.

jjpro11
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Cleveland looked bad but road games, especially in the division, are always a crap shoot. Even someone as bad as the Bungles could bite us in the butt if we take them too lightly. We SHOULD be able to beat Cleveland, but we SHOULD have been able to beat AZ, NYJ, Broncos, etc. last year. I look forward to Woodley and Harrison putting the lumber to other teams. The question is, will the other teams be able to counter and take advantage of our weaknesses. The secondary is good but has been shown to be vulnerable at times to long pass plays and third and longs. We have to tighten that up. The Special Teams actually looked good. Halleleugha, Fox and Moore were good pickups.

the only thing that makes me a little more confident that we wont have a let down game on the road is because this is a division game.. and we always seem to be up for browns games. i think the ohio games were our only road wins other than st louis.

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 09:52 AM
The thing about the NFL is that anything can change, a sucky team can turn it around and have a winning season, and a good team can end up having a bad season.

If anyone recalls years back when the then, Houston Oilers started 0-4 and rattled off 12 straight wins.

The team can't take anyone lightly, especially after a few of the games from last year. The browns are in our division and it's time to step up and put the FOOT(e) down on them, slap them with a piece of WOOD(ley) and as BIG BEN strikes late into the night, it will be a FAST (willie parker) evening out of brown town!!!

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 10:48 AM
thats was a nice lil story there truck.. i agree.. and maybe santo will come in and make some big suprises