PDA

View Full Version : RIP UTEP's Don Haskins

tony hipchest
09-08-2008, 01:57 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/ncaa/09/07/haskins.obit.ap/index.html the recently retired utep basketball coach and local hero died sunday at the age of 78.

most may know him from the movie "Glory Road". (which is one of my favorite sports movies). he revolutionized college basketball when he was the 1st to name 5 black players as starters on his team.

xfl2001fan
09-08-2008, 06:17 PM
That's where I had heard his name. Loved that movie, though the "clean Disney" spin did bother me some, lol. I'm pretty sure there was a little more cursing going on IRL.

May he find peace and contentment on his next (and eternal) journey!

STEELtownHAVOX
09-08-2008, 06:53 PM
rip, he did great wonders for america

tony hipchest
09-08-2008, 07:16 PM
That's where I had heard his name. Loved that movie, though the "clean Disney" spin did bother me some, lol. yeah, disney did take some artistic liberties. 1st they wanted to make a good movie, 2ndly though they wanted to tell a great, inspiring story of overcoming racial differences.

it was pretty much the football version of "remember the titans".

don recently had an embarassing DUI in el paso, but like most local hero's it didnt belemish his reputation.

personally, other than being in 3 rivers stadium it is the only championship banner i have seen hung. pretty awe inspiring especially considering the social significance and also that western TX and NM arent exactly known for their basketball programs (although reggie theuss was gonna do great things for the nmsu aggies).

fansince'76
09-08-2008, 07:23 PM
Beat Kentucky (which was still very much a segregated program under Adolph Rupp) for the '66 NCAA championship, right?

RIP, Coach. :tombstone

tony hipchest
09-08-2008, 07:30 PM
Beat Kentucky (which was still very much a segregated program under Adolph Rupp) for the '66 NCAA championship, right?

RIP, Coach. :tombstoneyep. pat reiley was the star player. haskins has also been good friends with bobby night. much respected amongst the ranks even though his program never lived up to the success it saw back then. but he coached a long time and put up his fair share of wins.

i guess he was kinda like joe paterno, in that he had his job for life. now all UTEP has is mark price heading up the football program. :laughing: