PDA

View Full Version : Ben's performance against the Colts??

Ambridge
11-26-2005, 06:13 PM
After not playing for three weeks how much will the "Rust Factor" have on Ben's performance??

1. None at all and Ben will have a big game.
2. Ben will have a mediocre game with some badly thrown balls mixed in with the good ones and is hampered with his mobility.
3. Ben has a simply horrid game......is totally off on his throws and is picked off multiple times.

Koopa
11-26-2005, 06:20 PM
well i think the rust will show in the first quarter but he'll over come it in the second quarter but hopefully the d can hold for a quarter or two because we can not afford a slow start at all on the defensive side of the ball.

Suitanim
11-26-2005, 06:38 PM
He'll be fine...he's a gametime QB and not known as a practice QB, so I expect no rust at all.

The Colts will gameplan to stack the box and stop the run (correctly), and it's up to Ben to beat them with the pass. I think he's capable of that.

StillerPaul
11-26-2005, 06:42 PM
I'm thinkin' he'll start off a bit slow and we'll have to come from 7 or 14 down by the 2nd quarter. They'll think its over but in reality Ben will have them right where he wants em'.

Stillers - 31

Dolts - 21

BlitzburghRockCity
11-26-2005, 08:27 PM
all indications are, according the articles I read last nite, Ben is looking nearly 100%, so he should be fine from a mobility standpoint. If Im the Steelers, I may consider throwing some quick short passes to help Ben get into a rythmn and get some confidence.

SteelProven
11-26-2005, 08:39 PM
At this point rusty or not he's better than Tommy "Pic6" Maddox.

AvoidLLoyd95
11-26-2005, 08:53 PM
I would like to see the screen a little bit more to Willie or the Bus. More so to Willie. He has the sped to break it for big yardage and it will keep the defense honest, giving time to Ben to make some plays. They have gotten away from that in the last few weeks which was funny because I think that would have helped us with BBGun in there.

Atlanta Dan
11-26-2005, 09:14 PM
The game plan presumably will be to run to keep Manning off the field and wear down the smaller Colts defense; I agree that Ben should throw some quick outs & slants early to keep the Colts DBs honest, but if the Steelers are to stay in this game they need to pound on a defense that has been slipping over the last month.

Scores of first 5 games for Colts:
24-7 (Ravens)
10-3 (Jags)
13-6 (Browns)
31-10 (Titans)
28-3 (Niners)

Scores of last 5 games for Colts

45-28 (Rams)
38-20 (Texans)
40-21 (Patriots)
31-17 (Texans)
45-37 (Bengals)

The Colts D is beatable and the way to beat it is to run

clevestinks
11-26-2005, 09:21 PM
We need Ben to set the tone, and complete some passes early, really early. This way our running game can get going, and keep the Colts offense on the bench.

I think he maybe a little rusty. I just hope the knee is fine.

SteelCityMan786
11-26-2005, 10:59 PM
I'll take the NFL's Rising Young Star at Running Back Willie Parker over James anyday.

bengalsfan21
11-26-2005, 11:53 PM
Where was the option for " no problems each RB will touch the ball 20 times"

clevestinks
11-27-2005, 01:15 PM
I love Willie Parker, but he is not in James league yet. James can take the team on his shoulders and win games. Willie has yet to prove that! He plays well when Ben plays well.

SteelCurtain
11-27-2005, 01:37 PM
I'll take the NFL's Rising Young Star at Running Back Willie Parker over James anyday.
dude i think you are on crack...u better rethink that one

clevestinks
11-27-2005, 01:41 PM

Exactly right! We may not like the Colts, but you cannot take anything away from some of thier players, especially James.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-27-2005, 01:41 PM
Gotta admire his loyalty to the black n gold !! :tt:

If James were available and we could afford him, u have to think there is no way we wouldnt go after him.

and again, as goes Ben, so go the Steelers...

24seven
11-28-2005, 03:25 AM
Rust or not it won't matter if our offensive line doesn't show up to block.. They need to step it up more than anyone else on the field tonight.. I just hope there ready to protect our greatest asset.........Our DB's also need to keep there heads in the game or Peyton will eat us up... I do belive though if Ben has a good game and gets the time he needs were gonna kick there asses all over the place!!!!!!!! GO STEELERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

steelersgirl86
11-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Hopefully he will shake off the rust early and have a great game...

GO STEELERS!!!!!:excited:

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
11-28-2005, 12:21 PM
i think the ravens are gonna pass on Jamal Lewis, and stay with the other guy...sorry cant think of his name and im at school right now......i think its taylor?
anyway
What are the chances of Lewis going into free agency?
Hed be a good fit.

SteelCityMan786
11-28-2005, 12:35 PM

I am not on crack I am too young to do that oh wait nvm IT'S ILLEGAL:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TasmanianTroy271
11-28-2005, 01:17 PM
i think the ravens are gonna pass on Jamal Lewis, and stay with the other guy...sorry cant think of his name and im at school right now......i think its taylor?
anyway
What are the chances of Lewis going into free agency?
Hed be a good fit.

I'd rather have Bam Morris back in the Black & Gold than Jamal Lewis. He's a shadow of his former self, not to mention he's been a Ratbird his whole career.

SalukiSteelers
11-28-2005, 02:45 PM

You have lost your mind! I would give up my subscription to Steelers Digest to get the Edge in a Steelers uniform. The guy is a stud and he has been that way for his whole career, plus he's a reliable receiver out of the backfield and I'm sure if you ask any of the Colts, they'd say that James is the engine that makes that team go.

As for Ben, hopefully he won't have a problem with passes sailing like they did in the preseason. If the Steelers can run the ball and Ben only has to pass about 20- to 25 times, it would be an ideal situation. I don't think that he'll be too rusty but if he makes mistakes that result in Colts scores early it's going to be a long night.

workhorse
11-28-2005, 03:12 PM
You have lost your mind! I would give up my subscription to Steelers Digest to get the Edge in a Steelers uniform. The guy is a stud and he has been that way for his whole career, plus he's a reliable receiver out of the backfield and I'm sure if you ask any of the Colts, they'd say that James is the engine that makes that team go.

As for Ben, hopefully he won't have a problem with passes sailing like they did in the preseason. If the Steelers can run the ball and Ben only has to pass about 20- to 25 times, it would be an ideal situation. I don't think that he'll be too rusty but if he makes mistakes that result in Colts scores early it's going to be a long night.

Edge is huge. Not only is he a stud as a runner, but he is a great option as a receiver out of the backfield. One thing that is frequently overlooked about Edge is his blocking. He is one of the best blocking backs in the league and is key to picking up the blitz. If the Colts don't manage to find a way to resign him next season, their offense will take a hit. BTW, Colts' management is saying they are just waiting for the new CBA to give the new cap to see how they can fit him in.

The key to the game will be who can establish their game first. The Steelers need to get their running game going to control the clock and filll in the gaps with Ben. The Colts need to score and get out to a lead that will force the Steelers to pass more and run less. I think the Colts have an advantage over the Steelers in overcoming the other team's gameplan. The Colts have the ability to score with a quick strike offense. So, even if the Steelers are playing keep away, the Colts dont need a whole lot of time to score. But, I don't know if the Steelers can mach the Colts scoring wise if the Colts are able to put some points on the board. I think it should be a great game either way.

SalukiSteelers
11-28-2005, 03:16 PM
Hey workhorse, do the Steelers take the ball first if they win the coin flip? Personally, I'd rather have the ball after the half but if the Steelers want to get a jump on establishing themselves will they want to focus on their offense scoring or their defense stopping the Colts first possession?

workhorse
11-28-2005, 03:32 PM
Hey workhorse, do the Steelers take the ball first if they win the coin flip? Personally, I'd rather have the ball after the half but if the Steelers want to get a jump on establishing themselves will they want to focus on their offense scoring or their defense stopping the Colts first possession?

That's a tough one. I would say let the Colts have the ball first and hope to get a quick three and out and play field position. But, that could aslso come back to bite them if the Colts are able to move the ball down the filed and get a touchdown. I think that was the case in the Pats' game. When the Colts opened it up on the second play and went deep and then punched it in. I think it staggered the Pats for a bit.

The Colts sometimes start a bit slowly, especially their D. If the Steelers can stop the Colts' offense at the begining, they may have a good chance at moving the ball and establishing tempo.

SalukiSteelers
11-28-2005, 04:43 PM
Yeah, I'm going with you on this one. Give Indy the ball and hopefully the 'D' steps up and sends the message to Moore and Peyton that's they're not going to be able to just roll in the dome.
One thing that worries me, though, is the fact that Pittsburgh's special teams are anything but. I would hate for the Colts to get the ball on the 35- or 40-yard line because if they get just one first down Pittsburgh will have to move the ball basically the length of the field on their first drive. Sure, they could do it but if the Ravens game proved anything it's that the running game can be stopped. I realize that Ben didn't play so it changed the dynamics of the offense but Simon is a space-eater and if the Colts can fill the holes that Pittsburgh's backs must have, they could slow down the run enough to make it an issue.
Does Indy have the guys to do it? Looking at the Cincy game, maybe not, but the threat of an explosive passing game probably opened up some options for the Bengals. Look, I'm not saying that the Steelers don't have the tools to score through the air - I think Ben's QB rating proves that they can move the ball effectively with the pass - but I would rather have the running game come out and move the chains so the Steelers can pass because they want to, not because they're forced in to it.
So, gee, all the Steelers have to do is play really good 'D', not puke on special teams, run the ball for good numbers, and pass effectively. Doesn't sound like much, does it?

workhorse
11-28-2005, 05:47 PM
Part of the problem for the Colts in the Cincy game was the Bengals pulled a Colts' move. They ran the no huddle against the Colts and the Colts couldn't substitute. That's the main reason the Colts run it as well, you keep the defensive personnel on the field that you want. As a result Simon was kept on the sidelines during some running downs. One thing that the Bengals failed to notice is the Colts are a speed team and tried to run to the outside on some key short yardage downs. I don't think Pittsburgh will do the same thing, they will have more success running up the middle. It's time to see what Simon's effect will be.

clevestinks
11-28-2005, 08:17 PM
I say we get the ball first, and set the tone with a long slow scoring drive.

7 rushes for 38 yards
6 passes for 42 yards
topped off with a Heat Miller 4 yard TD catch

Suitanim
11-28-2005, 08:45 PM
I'd like to see Parker used the same way Chris Perry was by the Bengals. Perry had 8 carries for 82 yards and 4 receptions for 41 yards against the Colts.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
I say we get the ball first, and set the tone with a long slow scoring drive.

7 rushes for 38 yards
6 passes for 42 yards
topped off with a Heat Miller 4 yard TD catch
Sounds good to me. Our defense hasn't been that good in stopping teams on their first drive, and its not a good thing to fall behind early to this team

RoethlisBURGHer
11-28-2005, 09:18 PM
He'll have a good game,no worries on this end.