PDA

View Full Version : Obama states he is Muslim on Television

TroysBadDawg
09-09-2008, 02:12 AM
By Aaron Klein
2008 WorldNetDaily

Slip of the tongue or momentary confusion? In a television interview today discussing his religion, Sen. Barack Obama stated, "My Muslim faith."

Obama, speaking to ABC's George Stephanopoulos on "This Week," was talking about what he described as "smears" that were claiming he was a Muslim when he maintains he is a practicing Christian.

"Let's not play games," Obama stated. "What I was suggesting – you're absolutely right that John McCain has not talked about my Muslim faith. And you're absolutely right that that has not come."

Stephanopoulos immediately interrupted Obama, stating, "Christian faith."

"My Christian faith," Obama quickly said. "

see it, hear it, click it (http://wnd.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=74635)

Hey Tony! Now which is he?

X-Terminator
09-09-2008, 08:28 AM
I don't usually take WorldNetDaily seriously, but I heard about this gaffe from a friend of mine in California...and I know she doesn't read WorldNetDaily either. I'll grudgingly give him the benefit of the doubt and call it a slip of the tongue, but this will only make those who question his faith question it even more.

stlrtruck
09-09-2008, 09:18 AM
ooppssss!!!!

Is that another FLIP-FLOP?

revefsreleets
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
I heard the clip elsewhere. Much ado about nothing (Freudian slip? I doubt it) but it will no doubt send the conspiracists into a tizzy.

fansince'76
09-09-2008, 09:45 AM
Don't think it means anything. They all have slips, but it really could hurt him down the road.

Agreed, it was a slip. However, I've seen campaigns at all levels get scuttled over less.

Hammer67
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Yeah...It was a slip since they were thinking religion...I get those types of details backwards while talking, from time to time.

"It's the red box. You meant he "green" one. Oh yeah, the green one, sorry."

xfl2001fan
09-09-2008, 02:44 PM
Me too.

I'll be in bed with my wife and occasionally call her by her sister's name.

(I'm just kidding, she doesn't have a sister.)

Bad attempt at humor, nothing more.

stlrtruck
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Me too.

I'll be in bed with my wife and occasionally call her by her sister's name.

(I'm just kidding, she doesn't have a sister.)

Bad attempt at humor, nothing more.

What's sad is you've probably still called her by her sister's name :flap:

But still makes you wonder what he wanted to say. I wonder how far he would have gone if the reporter didn't correct him. That's what I want to know. The reporter should have let him go and see if he caught the slip himself or not.

MACH1
09-09-2008, 03:23 PM
http://jxymxu7sn5ho9d.files.wordpress.com/2007/07/xcaricature-obama-lyin.jpg

xfl2001fan
09-09-2008, 03:32 PM
What's sad is you've probably still called her by her sister's name :flap:

But still makes you wonder what he wanted to say. I wonder how far he would have gone if the reporter didn't correct him. That's what I want to know. The reporter should have let him go and see if he caught the slip himself or not.

Actually, my wife was standing over my shoulder when I typed that. She was lucky I didn't say that she is a hemmarhoid. Then again, considering how her hand met the back of my head, maybe I'm the lucky one. LOL

Steelman16
09-09-2008, 04:47 PM

That's exactly what I was wondering too! Why did the interviewer immediately correct Obama? I realize the man can't speak properly without a teleprompter, but what would he have said after that? I would have let him finish his sentence. Maybe he would have continued with his thought and made it clear.

I'm not blowing it out of context by any means. I watched the entire thing several times over to see his facial features, mood, and tone. And, personally, it wasn't a slip-up.

Obama is receiving financial support from Muslims out of the country, and they wouldn't be doing that if he was not a Muslim. It's part of their religion and code.

fansince'76
09-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Obama is receiving financial support from Muslims out of the country, and they wouldn't be doing that if he was not a Muslim. It's part of their religion and code.

Doesn't really jibe with him being a member of Rev. Wright's church for 20+ years, though. :noidea:

This in a nutshell is why I am not voting for the man - I don't know where he truly stands on ANYTHING. There are a number of things I don't see eye-to-eye with McCain on, but I at least know where he's coming from.

cubanstogie
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
Doesn't really jibe with him being a member of Rev. Wright's church for 20+ years, though. :noidea:

This in a nutshell is why I am not voting for the man - I don't know where he truly stands on ANYTHING. There are a number of things I don't see eye-to-eye with McCain on, but I at least know where he's coming from.
speaking of Rev Wrong , O'reilly tonight asking Obama about the Rev and religion. Last night was about taxes. I only saw a little due to watching a terrible football game. Bill called him Robin Hood Obama, and stated if you think tonight was heated, wait until tomorrow when we talk about Wright. Should be interesting.

Hammer67
09-09-2008, 05:07 PM
That was actually a good interview last night. Oreilly was being Oreilly, but he let him say his piece without wandering. Bill just calls it as he sees it and will interrupt you if you go off on a tangent.

Steelman16
09-09-2008, 05:13 PM

Well, Rev. Wright is not exactly the essence of the average Christian church in America either...

And I agree with you. His 'gaffe', "That is above my paygrade", regardless of what he really meant, pretty much sums him up in my opinion. I mean, the man is running for the highest office in the land for God's sake! And he doesn't have an opinion on one of hottest subjects in the world!? I don't understand it, but I digress. :coffee:

fansince'76
09-09-2008, 05:19 PM
.... the man is running for the highest office in the land for God's sake! And he doesn't have an opinion on one of hottest subjects in the world!? I don't understand it, but I digress. :coffee:

Yep, and the cryptic and constantly parroted mantras of "Hope" and Change" just aren't enough on their own to get my vote.

Dino 6 Rings
09-09-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok, I do not support Obama, at all,

BUT

What he was driving at, was the McCain did not mention the "rumor" about Obama being a muslim. What Obama was saying was that he did not blame McCain for the Muslim rumors but was pointing to other sources. George Snuffaluffagus Incorrectly Stepped on Obama and tripped him up and didn't let him finish his thought, which then got Obama slightly flustered and he in turn agreed with what GS was saying.

Really, George Stephanapoulos created the slip up when a slip up didn't really happen.

Dino 6 Rings
09-09-2008, 06:10 PM
Obama should have said, "McCain has never directly inferred or made mention of me have ever been a muslim...but others in his camp have."

Instead he got flustered and kind of slipped up.

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 09:11 AM
Obama should have said, "McCain has never directly inferred or made mention of me have ever been a muslim...but others in his camp have."

Instead he got flustered and kind of slipped up.

I have an idea what he was trying to say but the point being is that he didn't say what he either should have said or meant to say. For example, I could sit around all day and say I was a bucs fan, but in a rare moment of having someone question me out of the blue I spew out I'm a Steelers fan. What's the truth? From my experience it's usually the latter. Sometimes the truth comes out when we least expect it.

However, the interviewer should have let him go to see if caught it himself or continued on the "Muslim" trail.

millwalldavey
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
Who cares what he is? It does not effect his abilitiy to do the job. (That ability is debatable to begin with)

cubanstogie
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Who cares what he is? It does not effect his abilitiy to do the job. (That ability is debatable to begin with)

Are you kidding me. Why don't you look a the holy Koran or better yet move to the middle east if you want our country ruled by muslims.

2 freudian slips has me wondering if he really is muslim.Remember the " I have been to all 57 states" comment. How many Islamic states are there? 57! Be careful what you wish I mean vote for libs.

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
2 freudian slips has me wondering if he really is muslim.Remember the " I have been to all 57 states" comment."sometimes a cigar is just a cigar." :noidea:

ShutDown24
09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Another slip by the man of great change... Of course, this isn't nearly as important as McCain being illiterate with computers now is it? :rolleyes:

Obama has been going downhill for quite some time now. He flip flops more than Kerry did last election (maybe) and can' t keep one story straight for more than a few days at a time.

The political know it alls on this forum can talk about insignificant things all they want, in fact, that's what they're doing currently. The only thing that will matter, though, is election day - when Jon McCain is appointed the next US president instead of this highly confused muslim. I mean... Christian. Oh, he's agnostic? Give me a break. Barack Obama is a bum.

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 01:01 AM
The political know it alls on this forum can talk about insignificant things all they want, in fact, that's what they're doing currently. The only thing that will matter, though, is election day - when Jon McCain is appointed the next US president yep, hes the next jorge washington or abraham lincon. :busted:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=27047 still eagerly awaiting your input :coffee:

augustashark
09-11-2008, 01:42 AM
yep, hes the next jorge washington or abraham lincon. :busted:

http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=27047 still eagerly awaiting your input :coffee:

Was Washington latino?:noidea:

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 02:00 AM
Was Washington latino?:noidea::toofunny::applaudit::toofunny:

WHOOOOOOSH!

heres a tip (on "who wants to ba a millionaire" it would be called a "lifeline"... im not sure what they call it on "are you smarter than a 5th grader")-

*refering to common trivia, of course*

Jon McCain = John McCain
Jorge Washington = George Washington
Abraham Lincon = Abraham Lincoln

:popcorn:

anyways, i saw it the way dino5rings saw it. obama was simply saying that mccain hadnt accused him of being a muslim. :coffee:

next.

augustashark
09-11-2008, 02:21 AM
http://www.kirtonnews.co.uk/archived%20editions/puppet.gif :toofunny:

Master of puppets!:rofl:

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 02:36 AM
:hunch:

augustashark
09-11-2008, 02:40 AM
:hunch:

Try harder bud, I'm sure you'll get it.:hug:

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 02:49 AM
Try harder bud, I'm sure you'll get it.:hug:went back and fixed that broken link to that cute little picture, did ya? :thumbsup:

:sofunny:

:coffee:

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 08:00 AM
Are you kidding me. Why don't you look a the holy Koran or better yet move to the middle east if you want our country ruled by muslims.

2 freudian slips has me wondering if he really is muslim.Remember the " I have been to all 57 states" comment. How many Islamic states are there? 57! Be careful what you wish I mean vote for libs.

Please keep in mind that there is a huge difference between being a Muslim and an Extremist Muslim just like the Christian faith has had it's share of letdowns over the years.

I have many Muslim friends, some of which are in the US military and have been in positions where they have fought for our country against those who share a (so called) "similar" faith.

Religion and politics don't belong together. Religion should not be a deciding factor in the ability to lead my country and my military.

I'm sure by now, its pretty obvious I'm a conservative who is voting for McCain, but it has nothing to do with whether or not Obama is Muslim, was Muslim or might become Muslim.

One of my daughters and one of my son's are the most likely of the 5 kids to get in trouble. Just because I accidentally call another child by their name doesn't mean anything. It doesn't change how I feel about any of my children.

This really is much ado about nothing.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 09:35 AM
Good read and sort of related...Trudy Rubin knows her stuff.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/commentary/28228989.html

Misunderstanding the 'war on terrorism'
Wrong name for a battle of ideas
Published on Thursday, Sep 11, 2008

PHILADELPHIA: On the seventh anniversary of Sept. 11, we will once again mourn; politicians will intone about fighting the war on terrorism. Some will even talk about World War IV.

But, in a series of interviews with top terrorism experts, I found surprising accord on the need to redefine the problem. ''The jargon is that it is a global war on terrorism,'' says Richard A. Clarke, former counterterrorism czar to Presidents Bill Clinton and George Bush 43. ''That is very misleading. If you do not understand what the problem is, then your solution is not going to work.''

Clarke and others argue that the conflict with jihadi terrorists ''is not global,'' but exists largely within the Islamic world and part of Europe. ''It is not a war, with a few exceptions,'' he continues. ''And it is really not on terrorism. Terrorism is a tactic.''

The constant repetition of the mantra ''war on terrorism'' implies we are fighting a single enemy, like the Soviets, in a struggle that can be won on the field of battle. Not so.

Clark defines the struggle as one against ''a small, deviant minority strain in Islam'' that wants to replace existing governments in Muslim countries with fundamentalist regimes. We aren't fighting against states, but against ''non-state actors.''

Islamist jihadis must be confronted in different ways, depending on where they are located. The situation differs greatly in, say, the Philippines, than in Pakistan or Europe.

We must be wary of letting the war analogy blind us to the essentials. The battle we're fighting depends more on winning a battle of ideas than a war fought with guns.

Yes, guns are needed to stop the Taliban from retaking Afghanistan and prevent jihadis from re-emerging in Iraq. But Iraq went sour because of misguided U.S. policies that created fertile ground for jihadis; military action often worsened the problem. The key to reviving Iraq was not U.S. guns.

The Iraq situation shifted because Sunnis turned against militant forces they once supported. Al-Qaida's viciousness turned off the Sunni population and undercut the ideas they propagated. Gen. David Petraeus took advantage of the jihadis' errors; he helped Iraqi Sunnis help themselves by driving al-Qaida out of their turf.

Similarly, in Afghanistan, the fight against jihadis will depend on whether the local population rejects them. NATO troops can help, but only if local fighters take the lead. In Pakistan, where the population rejects American involvement, open use of U.S. troops is bound to boomerang.

Indeed, the ''war on terrorism'' mantra plays into the jihadi strategy. The Taliban and al-Qaida want to lure America into acts that turn local people against them, like bombing civilians. They want to suck America into ''bleeding wars,'' says South Asia expert Bruce Reidel, like the Afghan mujaheddin did to the Soviet Union in the 1980s.

Avoiding this trap, say the experts, will involve a strategy far more complex than seeking military ''victory.'' It will require training local forces and using U.S. military assets sparingly to avoid harming civilians. It will involve economic aid distributed at local levels to dissuade youths from hiring out to militant groups.

And the struggle will involve a war of ideas — including a major effort to publicize al-Qaida atrocities. Al-Qaida runs a massive Internet operation trumpeting its triumphs against the infidels; we need as big an operation, in many languages, laying out the group's hideous crimes against Muslims.

What's most essential is for Americans to understand that the surge of jihadi terrorists is a historical phenomenon, born of the alienation created by globalization. Yes, the elimination of Osama bin Laden, would be a huge psychological blow. Yet the phenomenon may take years to abate.

In the meantime, better intelligence and close international cooperation may be as essential as troops. So will coordination between U.S., European and Russian officials on thwarting the sale of fissile material or nuclear weapons to terrorists.

Al-Qaida expert Peter Bergen believes the terrorist threat to Western countries will come from Europe. Alienated young, educated Muslims in Europe were behind the 9/11 attacks, and subsequent bombings in Europe. Other planned attacks in Europe have been foiled since, along with efforts to sell stolen fissile material that could be used for terrorist bombs.

So forget the World War IV mantra with its false aura of tank battles. This fight requires smart long-term strategy, not mass mobilization. Americans face a long slog at many levels before the jihadi phenomenon fades.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rubin is a Philadelphia Inquirer columnist. She can be e-mailed at trubin@phillynews.com.
].

millwalldavey
09-11-2008, 04:06 PM

No, I'm not kidding you. I don't care who runs the country. They do not speak for me. And you will realize someday they do not speak for you as well.

As am Athiest, I could care less about religion and peoples beleifs. They cant screw up any worse than the Christians have for the last 2000 years, IMHO.

Also not a lib. Dislike their worldview as much as the conservatives and refuse to give in to being deemed by a divisive term.