PDA

View Full Version : Ohio State -vs- USC

Elvis
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
:applaudit:

College Game of The Year?

This should be a great game, but I dont think that the outcome would be the same if it were in a neutral site...

With that said... who will win the "early" game of the year?

Ohio State
BUCKEYES

or

University of Southern Cal
TROJANS

My bet is USC since they are at home...:tt02:

revefsreleets
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM
Didn't you hear? The game is already over:

Barely beating Bobcats Buckeyes 0
USC 445

GoFins11
09-09-2008, 11:36 AM
OSU is going to get crushed.

revefsreleets
09-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I wonder why they'll even bother playing the game??? OSU should just forfeit...

STEELtownHAVOX
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM
It should be a better game than what everyone's stating. I'm sure OSU overlooked there home state rivals, lol. Plus I read Beanie Wells is playing, I'm sure that helps out significantly. Anyways, i voted USC. lol

lilyoder6
09-09-2008, 12:32 PM
even if wells plays the usc def is scary good... i mean yes this will be a good game but usc should win at least by 14

revefsreleets
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM
14 points? Really? With Wells PLAYING?

Have you seen OSU's defense? What am I saying, of course you haven't...nobody who has would make that claim.

This ain't Virginia we're talking about here...

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 09:46 AM
i have seen both of osu games.. so yes i know that there d is real good.. but it's usc, they have a better d than osu and i would bet that they have a better off than osu... i rly do think usc can win by 14..also is wells even 100%???

atlsteelers
09-10-2008, 09:47 AM
I think the score will be USC 28OSU 17..that being said i am rooting for OSU in this game. Not that i am give a damn about OSU but i believe that OSU has a better chance of losing another game besides this game where as if USC wins their schedule is pretty damn easy. so if they beat OSU i do not see any other team beating them. so in the spirit of having other teams racking up a few losses i hoping OSU wins

atlsteelers
09-10-2008, 09:51 AM
:applaudit:

College Game of The Year?

This should be a great game, but I dont think that the outcome would be the same if it were in a neutral site...

With that said... who will win the "early" game of the year?

Ohio State
BUCKEYES

or

University of Southern Cal
TROJANS

My bet is USC since they are at home...:tt02:

College Game of the Year _ Fat Chance

The only college football that matters is played down south. hehe

GoFins11
09-10-2008, 12:08 PM

:chuckle:

CB1977
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Ohio State played pretty bad in the first half against Ohio U. but I don't see them making that same mistake twice.

The Buckeyes: 23
The Condoms: 10

Dino 6 Rings
09-10-2008, 04:23 PM
I give it to the Trojans, I like the home field for them in this one. I think with Wells not at 100% the OSU offense won't be able to wear down the USC Defense and it'll turn late in the game. I like USC to get the last Touchdown in this one to win by a final of 21-13. I'm rooting for OSU as a casual viewer, but don't think they'll pull this one off.

revefsreleets
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Part of the reason there is so much OSU hate is that they seem to always have really HUGE "Games of the century" early in the year...hmmm....wonder why that might be?

Don't hate, write YOUR favorite schools AD and tell him YOU want to see your team play meaningful games against top flight ooc teams in September too! Stop scheduling Coastal Carolina and Citadel, man up and play Cal, USC, Texas, Oklahoma, et al...

Back to THIS game. 18 returning starters from a team that played in the NC game a year ago, and some people are predicting blowout. The two best players in the country (on their respective sides of the ball) will be playing for the Scarlet and Grey. There are several first round NFL caliber players who stayed for this very type of game. This is a battle tested team that KNOWS big games in hostile environments. They are well coached. They have the highest of expectations. They have shown almost nothing but vanilla looks on offense and defense. They WILL come to play 4 quarters of football.

This is a damned good football team, and they are going to surprise a lot of people Saturday night.

GoFins11
09-10-2008, 08:04 PM
The last few seasons I think USC has been the better team. It is nice that this year that we can actually see if that is true. I just want the best team to win.

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 09:47 PM
and all those returning starters choked in the NC.. so thats rly nothing to be proud of.. during the big games they choke??

also don't give me that shit about playing a real good team in the beginning.. this is the 1st time in a long time that osu has played a real good team in the beginning..

and back to how they know how to play in big games in hostile environment.. the last times i checked... they choked the past 2 NC games

i would say that the lb from usc is better than james..... but i might agree w/ u on wells maybe throwing in cj spiller from clemson

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 07:34 AM
and all those returning starters choked in the NC.. so thats rly nothing to be proud of.. during the big games they choke??

also don't give me that shit about playing a real good team in the beginning.. this is the 1st time in a long time that osu has played a real good team in the beginning..

and back to how they know how to play in big games in hostile environment.. the last times i checked... they choked the past 2 NC games

i would say that the lb from usc is better than james..... but i might agree w/ u on wells maybe throwing in cj spiller from clemson

A long time? Two and three seasons ago we played Texas. We had Washington on our schedule last season, but we scheduled them when they were good many years ago.

We have USC this week and next year. Then it's two seasons of the Miami Hurricanes (though not as good now as in they're heyday, still a tough ooc opponent.

After that, we have Cal. Those are all September OOC games the likes of which very few teams can claim. What does your teams OOC games look like? Do we have some cupcakes, yup. EVERY major program does. But ours is setup to help in state teams earn some time in the spot light and receive additional funding.

You're right, our returning starters did choke in the NC game, but we're not proud of that. We're proud that they got there. Did your team get to the last two NC games? Go ahead and so no. We know the truth.

NC games are not the only hostile environments. You think that playing Michigan in Ann Arbor doesn't count as a hostile environment? Especially when you consider our current win streak against them. You think it's easy beating PSU at State College? Especially during a night game while the fans are doing their White Out thing? It's impressive.

Who's your team? I guarantee you, I can find more reasons (legit reasons) to talk smack about your team, than you can about mine.

atlsteelers
09-11-2008, 08:44 AM
One benefit of having OSU lose is that they are out of the NCG. I strongly doubt that a one loss OSU would be voted into the NCG. However, i can see a 1 loss USC still in the NCG. Either way i am sure it will be a good game.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 08:52 AM
Haters hate, but OSU fans love it. It's to be expected when "The Program" sends teams in rebuilding years to the NCG. Sure, they lost, but they were rebuilding for this year.

They didn't choke against LSU, either. The Tigers were the better team.

OSU has Virginia Tech, Oklahoma, Miami (FL) Cal, and several other top-caliber teams in home/away match-ups over the next 15 years. That's something the fans want and I'm glad they do it. It dovetails nicely with the argument about a one-loss Buckeyes team NOT making this years NCG. If they go out to LA and beat USC and then run the table, you can't keep them out of a 3rd NCG in a row. If they played all cupcakes in ooc play, they'd have no legitimate shot at that game, but this way they stay in the hunt.

I suspect this is going to be like the first Texas/OSU game, with the winner determined by about 3 points and in the waning seconds of the game.

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
One benefit of having OSU lose is that they are out of the NCG. I strongly doubt that a one loss OSU would be voted into the NCG. However, i can see a 1 loss USC still in the NCG. Either way i am sure it will be a good game.

Yeah, and when OSU lost to Illinois last year, how many people here said that they were out of the NCG?

Seriously, it can happen because it HAS happened.

GoFins11
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Then it's two seasons of the Miami Hurricanes (though not as good now as in they're heyday, still a tough ooc opponent.

Yeah, I wouldn't count out the Hurricanes. They have a good young team.
Given time the Canes will be back to the top of BCS teams.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Just in time for the Bucks to play them, I'm sure...

KUDO'S to the Cane's, too...they are travelling in that series. Gators said "Hell no!" when offered...

GoFins11
09-11-2008, 02:33 PM
KUDO'S to the Cane's, too...they are travelling in that series. Gators said "Hell no!" when offered...

Really? Show me that quote by UF.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Florida fans always doubt me when I bring this up...funny...

Andy Geiger, former AD at OSU specifically named Florida as a team that, when OSU was putting together future schedules of home/away ooc games, WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE BUCKEYES OFFER.

I'll find you the article, as I have it either here or at home, but just accept this now: It's a fact. OSU asked, and Florida took a pass.

Edit: Look at OSU"s schedule. Do you really think they didn't ask? Fact is, they asked all the big SEC schools, and they all took a pass. We scheduled Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Cal, VT, Miami and a few others who are escaping my recollection now. Why wouldn't we ask SEC schools? OSU fans WANT these big ooc games, and OSU loves to play them. But SEC schools WON'T travel to the Shoe, and the one's who do, we don't want.

GoFins11
09-11-2008, 02:45 PM

Andy Geiger, former AD at OSU specifically named Florida as a team that, when OSU was putting together future schedules of home/away ooc games, WOULD NOT ACCEPT THE BUCKEYES OFFER.

I'll find you the article, as I have it either here or at home, but just accept this now: It's a fact. OSU asked, and Florida took a pass.

It might not be as simple as just a no. Its not that I don't believe that they said no. I would be weary because they play in the SEC. Its arguably the toughest conference. Why add a big time team out of conference when its hard enough to win in your own conference. I wouldn't them playing a team like OSU every once and a while though.

atlsteelers
09-11-2008, 02:47 PM

Edit: Look at OSU"s schedule. Do you really think they didn't ask? Fact is, they asked all the big SEC schools, and they all took a pass. We scheduled Texas, Oklahoma, USC, Cal, VT, Miami and a few others who are escaping my recollection now. Why wouldn't we ask SEC schools? OSU fans WANT these big ooc games, and OSU loves to play them. But SEC schools WON'T travel to the Shoe, and the one's who do, we don't want.

Ohio State, Tennessee will play football series in 2018 and 2019
Posted by From staff reports March 27, 2008 11:03AM
Mark your calendar: Tennessee will begin a two-game football series in 2018, the schools announced today.

The first game of the series will take place Sept. 1, 2018, in Knoxville in the season opener for both teams that year. It will be followed by a Sept. 7, 2019, game at Columbus.

"Tennessee-Ohio State is a great natural match-up for two tradition-laden schools that are less than 400 miles apart," said Steve Snapp, OSU associate athletic director. "Playing the Volunteers for the first time during the regular season will be a great series for our fans."

Ohio State and Tennessee have met only once previously in football, a 20-14 Volunteer victory in the Florida Citrus Bowl following the 1995 season. This will be the Buckeyes' first on-campus meeting with a Southeastern Conference opponent since before World War II.

But why should OSU get a chance to play SEC elite teams. the dawgs are already playing the past TWO national champions. do we really need to play the runner up?

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 02:52 PM
Better to play Louisiana Lafayette I guess.

I'll laugh the next time a situation arises like what happened to Auburn. So arrogant...when the SEC takes a dip (and it will...these things are all cyclical) and you try to use in-conference strength as an argument, it won't work.

Also, who's to say the Big Ten won't be the toughest conference 5 years from now? Will the Buckeys say "Oh, wait, we scheduled Oklahoma and they're preseason #1 this year...we can't play them since the Big Ten is too tough!"

Of course not...

Cyclical...enjoy it while you can, because it won't last.

Finally, the sticking point was travel. Florida said "Sure you can come to the Swamp, but we're not going to the Shoe".

GoFins11
09-11-2008, 02:55 PM
i believe a home and away with Tennesee is in the works. But why should OSU get a chance to play SEC elite teams. the dawgs are already playing the past TWO national champions. do we really need to play the runner up?

Same goes for Florida.

NEW UPDATE: Beanie Wells is doubtful for the USC game.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
If that's the case, and the Bucks are such a pushover, I'm sure Florida would be happy to add them to the schedule next year or any other.

Sucks about Wells. That will make this a very hard game for the Buckeyes to win...but, unlike USC fans, I won't use injuries as an excuse.

atlsteelers
09-11-2008, 03:03 PM
i do not want to play OSU. They are a good team. I have a lot of respect for OSU but I have enjoyed these blowouts the last couple of weeks. We go to ASU this year open at Okla State next year and play ASU at home next year. we also play ga tech every year. we need a couple of cupcakes on our schedule. otherwise my liver might quit working.

GoFins11
09-11-2008, 03:04 PM
If that's the case, and the Bucks are such a pushover, I'm sure Florida would be happy to add them to the schedule next year or any other.

Sucks about Wells. That will make this a very hard game for the Buckeyes to win...but, unlike USC fans, I won't use injuries as an excuse.

No one said that OSU was a pushover.

lilyoder6
09-11-2008, 03:15 PM
it's going to be a tough game even if wells was gonna be 100%... and how can u be in a rebuilding yr when u had most of ur starters come back from season to season???

don't get me wrong i WOULD like to see ohio state beat usc.. but i'm doubting it will happen.. usc is just too good on off and def.....

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
OSU was rebuilding last year. It's a testament to Tressel, his program and his recruiting that they made it to the NCG in a rebuilding year. It was widely known and accepted they were rebuilding last year, and I'm not digging up all the links to prove it again.

Just read up on Beanie...it sounds bad. Hope Tress does the right thing and give the bulk of the carries to Boom Herron. Saine has underachieved, and little Mo Wells goes down if people look at him cross-eyed.

The wild card is Pryor. They'll need to get him involved in the offense more if they want to bridge the gap. I still think the Bucks D will keep them in the game, though...

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 08:59 AM
Update: Beanie is a gametime decision.

xfl2001fan
09-12-2008, 09:20 AM
SWEET!!! That'll help us out tremendously if he can play. Get him and Pryor back there...opens things up a bit for us.

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 10:13 AM
Shoot that foot full of cortisone and let her rip! Troy and Minnesota are up next, so Beanie can rest until the Oct 4 game against Wisconisin. We need him out there tomorrow...

stlrtruck
09-12-2008, 10:39 AM
I'm not going to predict a score but I think the home field gives USC the edge. That and I can't stand OSU....

we are PENN STATE!!!

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 01:24 PM
OSU rolling into the Coliseum and beating the heavily favored Trojans on their home field helps carry the banner for the whole Big Ten.

Then again, the haters will just try and say that USC was overrated...

GoFins11
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
OSU rolling into the Coliseum and beating the heavily favored Trojans on their home field helps carry the banner for the whole Big Ten.

Then again, the haters will just try and say that USC was overrated...

I won't be one of them. If OSU wins then they deserve to be #1.

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 06:51 PM
Just over 24 hours until kickoff...

I'm hoping this is a "return to form" game. Buck's as a heavy underdog? I think you have to go back to the Miami NC game to see that, and we know how that turned out. People forget that that was the MO of the Buck's for a good while under Tress...

lilyoder6
09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
wells is out for the game or at least thats what sportscenter said at midnight... and earlier today...

and in 06 most of hio state's starters were jr and soph... they may have lost a couple of ppl on off and def but the most stayed intact yr after yr.. so how is that rebuilding??

GoFins11
09-13-2008, 06:32 PM
wells is out for the game or at least thats what sportscenter said at midnight... and earlier today...

We'll seehttp://www.wiichat.com/images/smilies/allnighte.gif

Edman
09-13-2008, 08:39 PM
OSU getting stomped by a top-tier team...as usual. 21-3 Trojans.

Guess this saves America from watching the Buckeyes get pasted in the BCS title game again.

SteelCityMan786
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
OSU getting stomped by a top-tier team...as usual. 21-3 Trojans.

Guess this saves America from watching the Buckeyes get pasted in the BCS title game again.

And opens the door for another Big Ten School to show the power of the conference in said game.

The only 2 I think that would have a chance should the score stand to make it to the title game are Penn State and Wisconsin.

SteelCityMan786
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Cornhole must be on cloud 9 right now.

lilyoder6
09-13-2008, 09:42 PM
they are getting destroyed like i said... it's 28-3 usc and usc just got the ball back

GoFins11
09-13-2008, 09:59 PM
they are getting destroyed like i said... it's 28-3 usc and usc just got the ball back

35-3:popcorn:

lilyoder6
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
looks like they are gonna have pryor play rest of the game.. lol.. osu gets destroyed again... time for psu to take the big ten thrown

lilyoder6
09-13-2008, 10:14 PM
wonder if usc will run up the score

Edman
09-14-2008, 12:13 AM
Can't say I'm surprised.

OSU's QB stinks and the Bucks looked very average against Ohio and Youngstown State. Without Wells, they're less than one-dimensional.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-14-2008, 02:29 AM

It WAS great when SC played Alabama and Auburn and Arkansas down south in the Pete Era. Problem though is that those Trojans wins didn't count in your minds because they were __________________________________________________ __________. Fill in typical denial.

Haiku_Dirtt
09-14-2008, 02:33 AM
35-3:popcorn:

Gator fan and SC fan on the same page? It must be all about THE Ohio State.

GoFins11
09-14-2008, 03:10 AM
Gator fan and SC fan on the same page? It must be all about THE Ohio State.

:coffee:

xfl2001fan
09-14-2008, 05:50 AM
What was with all the stupid penalties (like the holding call that called back a 21-yard TD?) I expected better from Tress.

USC clearly was the better team yesterday, so it's not like I'm saying we would have won that game...but we could have at least made it respectable.

The LB was out of bounds on the 5 yard line on his INT.

Godfather
09-14-2008, 10:00 AM
I like how the SEC is a "fraud" for not playing enough road games against major opponents. Meanwhile Southern Cal feasts on world-beaters like Virginia (just got curbstomped by UConn), an injury-hampered Buckeye team (in LA and not on the road) that barely got by Ohio, and a has-been Notre Dame. And how about those awesome opponents like Idaho last year?

The PAC-10 proved yesterday that it's the Mountain West's biatch. But we won't hear about that unless Brent Mushmouth wants to make excuses for them. UCLA couldn't handle the altitude.

lilyoder6
09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
i was even trying to be nice saying they would lose by at LEAST 14 points.... but wasn't a pretty game..

millwalldavey
09-14-2008, 10:23 AM
I'm finally going to admit that the Big 10 has a LOOONG way to go to compete with the truly elite in the nation. This OSU team is the class of the confrence and were taken apart by a superior squad.

lilyoder6
09-14-2008, 05:13 PM
there not the class of the big 10 this yr no one is yet until we start playing conf games... and i don't see other ranked big 10 teams barely winning against ohio!?!?!?!?!?

millwalldavey
09-14-2008, 05:41 PM
there not the class of the big 10 this yr no one is yet until we start playing conf games... and i don't see other ranked big 10 teams barely winning against ohio!?!?!?!?!?

OSU has proved year in and uear out that they are the class of the confrence. They are loaded this year. They are still the best team and as much as I dislike them, they will sweep the confrence.

No other Big 10 teams even have the guts to schedule a team like that in the NonConf schedules.

lilyoder6
09-14-2008, 07:12 PM
wow.. again.. these sch were made in the past..and until the contract runs out they won't be able to get out of it unless they want to pay a rid price... but wait till conf play and we'll start talking again

millwalldavey
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
One of us will be talking about it at least.

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm here to take my lumps, but I will ay this: I am embarrassed and disgusted not so much by the loss, but by the way they just accepted it. Even after the game, Tress had a sort of "So what, we lost, but our guys played hard" thing that's total complacency. Tress is not God. He's not above being fired. He can't continue to lose these big games and just be ho-hum about it. Even little animal was just casual about it...he said "We have Troy up next". Dude, you just got your asses SMOKED in front of the whole world, and all you can say is we have Troy next week?

This team is as talented as any in the Country, but they looked like a D1-AA team out there Saturday. The offense CONTINUED to be vanilla, and the D played with no fire or passion. Maualuga even said after the game that everything the Trojans saw was on film, meaning the Bucks introduced no new wrinkles. It was almost as if they just conceded the game. Disgusting. And having Wells might have made some difference (I'm thinking they score maybe 17, and keep the Trojans off the field and hold them to 28, but they still would lose), but it's no excuse at all.

Now, for USC, no doubt they are the team to beat. They were impressive in all facets of the game. The one thing they need to watch out for is the dreaded "choke game". In my estimation, there is no team on paper who can or will beat them this year other than themselves.

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself...

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news?slug=dw-bucksbust091308

Clueless in Columbus
By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
Sep 14, 2:21 am EDT

Printable View
Return to Original Buzz Up PrintMore From Dan WetzelMust-win for OSU Sep 10, 2008

LOS ANGELES – Here was Jim Tressel, sitting in front of a microphone after his program again melted into a big-game puddle of scarlet and grey. Here was Ohio State’s leader after another national humiliation, 35-3, this time at the hands of Southern California.

Here was the sweater vest, who keeps calling for the same old failed game plan even when he’s far from the comforts of the cornfields of the Midwest. He’s an example of coaching insanity – expecting the same bad plays to produce different results.

Here was Jim Tressel and all he could do was smile and shrug.

“The guys fought hard,” he offered Saturday night. “I don’t know that we did the best we could do, but we fought hard.”

So apparently that’s it now for Ohio State. They fought hard. Let’s just focus on the moral victory – the lament of every blown-out, schedule-padding cupcake in college football. We were overmatched and outcoached, sure, but we fought hard.

Only this is Ohio State. The Buckeyes keep getting their ass kicked when they dare to venture out of Big Ten/MAC land and Tressel doesn’t look or sound the least bit concerned.

Outrage? Frustration? Embarrassment? How about apologies to the Buckeye fans who no doubt feel plenty of all three? Or maybe one for poor quarterback Todd Boeckman, who thanks to a most uninspired offensive game plan had USC defenders taking turns teeing up to try to rupture his spleen?

“They did everything we saw on film, nothing changed,” said USC linebacker Rey Maualuga, who had five tackles and a pick six.

It isn’t just that Ohio State keeps producing no-show efforts in these supposed referendum games. It’s that the Buckeyes passion postgame is as feeble as it is in the game. If they are just being polite and internalizing, then the Bucks will one day need a lot of therapy.

“Taking a lot of heat from whom?” Tressel retorted when asked about the perception of the program nationally. “I guess I’m only concerned with Ohio State fans.”

If he thinks they are satisfied with this, he must be blinded by his latest contract extension.

This was paint-by-numbers football, the Buckeyes exposed as frauds early in the year this time, not at the end. This year, not even the absurd BCS can save them. Not that they admitted that.

“It’s only September,” Tressel said.

“We kept fighting, I’m happy with the effort,” said linebacker Jim Laurinaitis, perhaps oblivious to the 35 consecutive points USC scored, a number that could’ve been greater had Trojans coach Pete Carroll wanted to run it up.

Getting rolled by a powerhouse Trojan team, at home in a rowdy L.A. Coliseum on a perfect California night is one thing. Taking a whipping and hardly caring is another.

The Buckeyes have gotten fat and happy in the Midwest and it isn’t just a lack of speed or talent that keeps getting them destroyed nationally. It’s a lack of urgency.

“We’ve got Troy next week,” Laurinaitis said. “We just need to work on getting better.”

Troy? Really, Troy?

“What’s important for us is we roll up our sleeves and go back to work,” said Tressel, whose sweater never has sleeves.

Back in the Midwest, Ohio State’s version of football works wonders. It generally has better talent than opponents and consistently grinds out victory after victory.

It’s everywhere else, against everyone else, that Ohio State can hardly run or throw, tackle or scheme. And there is no way it’s changing unless Tressel begins to admit it.

“We’ve had success but you kind of have to measure success with who you play,” admitted wide receiver Brian Hartline, perhaps the only Buckeye with any emotion postgame.

“We do a great job playing against Big Ten teams but a lot of times, you have to get ready for out of conference. Obviously we haven’t done that very well in the near past.”

What’s the difference?

“I don’t know,” he shrugged. “I really don’t know. I don’t personally see a lot of difference, but there’s got to be something.”

Try everything. This looked like the same shell-shocked program of BCS beatings past. After Florida destroyed them in January 2007, the Bucks showed up again in the title game and promised something different. It was the same, destruction at the hands of LSU.

This year they returned so many starters and so many stars, all of whom promised redemption. USC smacked them around with ease.

Hartline claimed he and his fellow receivers were open, but the offensive line didn’t provide time for quarterbacks Boeckman or Terrelle Pryor to throw. USC had five sacks.

“The ball couldn’t get in the air,” Hartline said.

Meanwhile, the USC line opened holes for C.J. Gable and Joe McKnight to pad their YouTube highlights.

When Ohio State is getting dominated (again) in the trenches, what exactly does this program stand for anymore?

Don’t ask Tressel. Apparently it’s all about fighting hard. Besides, all things considered, he seemed relatively pleased.

After all, they get Troy next week.

Dan Wetzel is Yahoo! Sports' national columnist and author of "Resilience: Faith, Focus, Triumph" with the Miami Heat's Alonzo Mourning. The book details Mourning's rise from foster care to NBA stardom before kidney disease changed everything. Send Dan a question or comment for potential use in a future column or webcast.
Updated Sep 14, 2:21 am EDT
Email Print Buzz Up! 165 votes | digg add to facebook del.icio.us morefark
mixx
StumbleUpon
Google Bookmarks
Yahoo! Bookmarks
NCAAF SEC places 5 teams in top 10 of AP poll
Trojans look unbeatable after 2 games
Richt fine after Georgia falls to 3rd
Auburn wins SEC's first 3-2 game
Wisconsin spoils party for Fresno State
Irish coach Weis to wait on knee surgery