PDA

View Full Version : Ben has sore shoulder

stillers4me
09-09-2008, 07:04 PM
Roethlisberger expected to play Sunday despite sore shoulder
Associated Press

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will be limited in practice this week because of a sore shoulder but is expected to play this weekend at Cleveland.

Roethlisberger played three quarters of the Steelers' 38-17 win over the Houston Texans in the season opener Sunday.

"We will see what he looks like when he comes in here (Wednesday)," coach Mike Tomlin said Tuesday. "It was just a little sore from playing in the football game."

Roethlisberger was thrown to the turf on a second-quarter sack by Houston's Mario Williams. He also appeared shaken on the next-to-last play of the first half after taking a shot to the leg by Amobi Okoye after completing a pass.

He remained in the game, however, and was pulled in the second half only because of Pittsburgh's lopsided lead.

Roethlisberger, a Pro Bowl selection last season who completed 13 of 14 passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns Sunday, has missed at least one game in each of the last three seasons because of injury.

Tomlin also said left tackle Marvel Smith and cornerback Deshea Townsend won't fully participate in practice this week. Smith has a groin strain and Townsend a bruised heel. Both are expected to play Sunday.

Pittsburgh has won six straight season openers, the longest active streak in the league.

"I am not going to complain about winning by 21 points," Tomlin said. "But some of the things that you begin to know about yourself when you get in games that come down to the wire are still unanswered for us."

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80aad864&template=with-video&confirm=true

fansince'76
09-09-2008, 07:35 PM
Roethlisberger, a Pro Bowl selection last season who completed 13 of 14 passes for 137 yards and two touchdowns Sunday, has missed at least one game in each of the last three seasons because of injury.

Wrong. He missed the last game of last season due to being rested for the playoffs, not because of injury. If we would have absolutely, positively needed the second Ravens game to qualify for a playoff spot, he would have been in there.

HometownGal
09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
I hope Ben's shoulder is up to par for Sunday's game - I want to see the Browns' secondary lit up like a Christmas tree. :applaudit: If we get a big lead going into the 4th, I have no doubt Byron can come in and light up that poor excuse of a secondary for a TD or two more! :tt02:

Steelman16
09-10-2008, 01:44 AM
I'll bet he has a sore shoulder! I'm not worried about it too much - at least he doesn't have a blown out knee.

Galax Steeler
09-10-2008, 04:24 AM
Ben is a tough competiter I am sure we will see him sunday night lighting up the stains.

stillers4me
09-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I'll bet he has a sore shoulder! I'm not worried about it too much - at least he doesn't have a blown out knee.

Amen.

Texasteel
09-10-2008, 06:52 AM

Or a broken foot. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
Wrong. He missed the last game of last season due to being rested for the playoffs, not because of injury. If we would have absolutely, positively needed the second Ravens game to qualify for a playoff spot, he would have been in there.

I believe what they're trying to say is that he's missed at least one game during the 17 week season due to injury, not the last game. He missed a few games mid-season due to injury (I think weeks 4-6).

The_WARDen
09-10-2008, 10:36 AM
How about this theory?

Steelers playing up a "sore shoulder" for Ben. This coming off of Willie's great game on Sunday. The Clowns now focus on the run and then Wham! Ben/Holmes/Ward and Co. light'em up..

It could be a great rope-a-dope plan to suck in the Clowns.

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 10:41 AM
either way ben will still have a great game.. who knows maybe ben will break another 45 yrd td run

SteelMember
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
How about this theory?

Steelers playing up a "sore shoulder" for Ben. This coming off of Willie's great game on Sunday. The Clowns now focus on the run and then Wham! Ben/Holmes/Ward and Co. light'em up..

It could be a great rope-a-dope plan to suck in the Clowns.

Damn. They could have used that if you could have just kept it under wraps. I guess the word's out now.:laughing:

The_WARDen
09-10-2008, 11:24 AM
Damn. They could have used that if you could have just kept it under wraps. I guess the word's out now.:laughing:

Man! The CIA told me this is why I didn't get the job and I blew it again! Sorry Tomlin!

fansince'76
09-10-2008, 11:26 AM
I believe what they're trying to say is that he's missed at least one game during the 17 week season due to injury, not the last game. He missed a few games mid-season due to injury (I think weeks 4-6).

He started and played in 15 games last year. The only one he didn't was in week 17 against the Ravens as he was being rested for the playoffs. The article's wrong. Of course, since it's a nationally distributed article written by the AP, and it's not another Patriots* knobslobbing job, to hell with accuracy. :coffee:

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 12:45 PM
He started and played in 15 games last year. The only one he didn't was in week 17 against the Ravens as he was being rested for the playoffs. The article's wrong. Of course, since it's a nationally distributed article written by the AP, and it's not another Patriots* knobslobbing job, to hell with accuracy. :coffee:

My bad, I thought he missed a few games last year. But the way my mind is working, everything is running together.

fansince'76
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
My bad, I thought he missed a few games last year. But the way my mind is working, everything is running together.

Apologies. I wasn't trying to call you on the carpet for it - I was calling the AP out for the inaccuracy , however. :drink:

DACEB
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Ben will be fine. I'm actually looking forward to more of the same from last week, an effective ground game and Ben being super efficient.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-10-2008, 01:20 PM
I'm betting the shoulder will be a non-issue..and think that we will see Ben and Santonio connect for at least 2 TD's...(I think between Ward & Holmes...the Browns corners are going to have trouble with Santonio)

Miller might also give them fits....

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
Apologies. I wasn't trying to call you on the carpet for it - I was calling the AP out for the inaccuracy , however. :drink:

No worries. :drink:

DACEB
09-10-2008, 02:11 PM
Miller might also give them fits....

Good call, they definetly had no answers for Witten.

:tt02:

xfl2001fan
09-10-2008, 03:31 PM
Serious understatement DACEB.

stillers4me
09-10-2008, 05:28 PM
.....smoke and mirrors........

Dino 6 Rings
09-10-2008, 05:34 PM
Good...the guy can't play good unless he's nursing some type of injury. It'll be like Michael Jordan with a fever...lights out time come this Sunday.

HOLMES! GO FREAKING DEEP!

jjpro11
09-11-2008, 12:29 AM
the last time ben faced a secondary as bad as cleveland's was baltimore last year when they had 2 of their starting corners out. cleveland's defensive backfield is so bad that their starters wouldnt have even made baltimore's roster.

Edman
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Haven't heard any more news on the sore shoulder.

So I guess Ben is fine.

NV STEELERS 723
09-11-2008, 11:52 PM
We gotta protect our franchise QB ...!