PDA

View Full Version : Our "weak side" could be so damn dominant!!!

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-10-2008, 12:34 AM
Now I'm not one to sit here and hate on our current, beloved, WINNING team of this current season, but I'm also not the only one with deeply-piercing eagle eyes on our boys in the black and gold either. Timmons was no less than sensational in preseason, A. Smith is lights-out when it comes to run-support and giving the fans something to get out of their seats about, and B-MAC is in my eyes the most underrated cornerback in the game (probably the starter for 75% of teams league-wide).

So what is it exactly that I'm seeing that the coaching staff isn't?? I've got nothing but praise for Lebeau, Tomlin, and Arians (other than working for the Browns :P ) but I just feel like we've got some players that are what some would call Diamonds in the Rough, but insiders like us should know damn-well its their time to shine!!!

Yes Timmons is young talent so his case is kinda-sorta understandable, but after what he's shown in Preseason he's shown me more flashes than Foote has the past 5 seasons I've been watching the Steelers. The other two have been around far too long to not be starting when the good has outweighed the bad SO VERY EVIDENTLY that it's just sad at this point. And now we don't even dress A.Smith?!??! wow.

Can't wait to watch our boys in the black and gold continue to succeed in another great nfl season, but I feel like I'm always having to scream bloody justice for a few deserving players

jjpro11
09-10-2008, 12:40 AM
timmons is good, but foote is no slouch.. foote takes a lot of crap on here probably because he is the weakest member of a very very good starting linebacker core. i saw timmons in there a number of times on sunday, so its not like he was benched.

i think the smith benching could be a way for tomlin to send a message to him that he needs to grow up fast, or he's gone. humble him a little bit and maybe he will change his ways.

bmac is playing behind a pro bowl talented cb and a veteran who seems to have never lost a step and always gets the job done. not much you can do, just be glad we have depth at that position with bmac and gay.

Mill Write
09-10-2008, 02:38 AM
Steelers Defense as built and maintained by the guru hisself is all about being disciplined to your role in the system. To all accounts, the system is complex and virtually nobody gets it in the first year or even two. Therefore, with Timmons, McFadden, and Smith, it is what it is. It's also why guys like Deshea and Farrior are kept on. What the coaches and fans are looking for and what they see are often two completely different things.

Galax Steeler
09-10-2008, 04:31 AM
I like B-MAC I would love to see him stay in the black and gold after this year I just don't know what kind of contract he will want and if we will have the money to give him.

Mosca
09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
Smith sat because he doesn't "get it", in the exact words of the coaching staff, and he will continue to sit until he "gets it". As mentioned already, our defense depends on everyone doing exactly what he is supposed to do, and Smith, for all his talent, won't play within the system.

tony hipchest
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
clark, foote, and deshae have all paid their dues, and earned their way into the starting line-up. all of them sat the bench and had better players infront of them who they had to beat out. (clark in washington and NY).

timmons, smith, and mcfadden will have to do the same.

heard mcfadden on sirius yesterday, and he definitely sounds like he wants to remain a steeler. ive heard several players comment on the view of coming out of the tunnel, with thousands of fans screaming and waving that towel and how they draw so much energy from it. mac said theirs probably no other sight like that in sports. he loves the steelers and i say we get him signed.

these days you need 3 starting cb's. i wouldnt be suprised to see townsend and clark offered an extension either.

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
even tho they aren't starting they did get plays in on sun except for smith :doh:
the open field tackel that timmons made was great and just a glimpse of what is to come...

Mosca
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
even tho they aren't starting they did get plays in on sun except for smith :doh:
the open field tackel that timmons made was great and just a glimpse of what is to come...

Man, I hope you are vindicated and A Smith goes All Pro someday! Nothing I'd like more than to see the kid make good, even though I think we're fine with or without him.

Steeldude
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
B-MAC is in my eyes the most underrated cornerback in the game

so far all i have seen from mcfadden are dance moves over routine plays and PI penalties. nothing to warrant a raise or a starting position, IMO.

A. Smith is lights-out when it comes to run-support

smith is a FS, not SS. this is why i suggested a possible move to SS.

And now we don't even dress A.Smith

perhaps the coaches are tired of his attitude. i also heard rumors of an injury.

timmons will start when the coaches feel he has grasped the defense. his ability to stuff the line isn't really known as of yet, but i doubt it is any worse than foote's? :smile:

Steely McSmash
09-10-2008, 12:28 PM
...but insiders like us should know damn-well ...

How are we insiders?

I like all 3 guys but think that the coaches are putting the team on the field that has the best chance of winning on gameday.

Smith may or may not be a headcase. Sometimes I think about him as a strong safety but then I envision late hits on the quarterback etc.

steelreserve
09-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Smith may or may not be a headcase. Sometimes I think about him as a strong safety but then I envision late hits on the quarterback etc.
My impression of Smith so far is: Incredible talent, but almost equally incredible dumbass. If he works out for us, it'd be a great bonus. But that's all I look at him as. We're not exactly hurting without him in the lineup.

SCSTILLER
09-10-2008, 02:57 PM
I remember hearing that the reason Timmons is backing up Foote is that Timmons is not good at shedding blockers in run D.
As for Smith, I would rather have a safety who knows his assignments, makes tackle when he needs to, and helps free up Polamalu rather than one who has a couple of good hits and gets himself out of position on a consistent basis.

lilyoder6
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
i'm not saying smith is gonna be all-pro but he would be good...

and for him being out of pos.. other than a couple plays.. he's not out of pos.. and EVRY player is out of position sometimes during a game

CanadianSteel
09-10-2008, 09:07 PM
The season is long and we will need these guys to step into starting roles most likely at some poimt. just glad we seem to have some depth at certian positions.
Just please, please, no-one on the D line get seriously hurt this year ... pretty please..

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-12-2008, 03:01 AM
Smith sat because he doesn't "get it", in the exact words of the coaching staff, and he will continue to sit until he "gets it"..]

hm.....i must've been watching a different Smith in preseason, the one who was demolishing the line of scrimmage left and right and holding 250lb backs to no yards....my mistake. must've been a different smith also who gives the bengals wideouts a reason to wish the rivalry would just go away......

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-12-2008, 04:18 AM
all i'm sayin is this guy didn't lead the pittsburgh steelers in tackls (polamalu was a near second) at the closing of my madden 09 franchise for nothin!

dudes got skills