PDA

View Full Version : Rooting for injuries...

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 11:03 AM
Hey I'm not a proponent of cheering for someone to get hurt but this post at Steelers Fury is hilarious:

http://www.steelerfury.com/articles/title/Were-From-the-Town-with-the-Great-Football-Team-Rooting-for-Injuries/

Rooting for Injuries by Swissvale72by SteelFury!09/09/2008One might think that given my history of knee injuries, I would have more compassion, not be so cavalier about rooting for injuries to opponents of the Pittsburgh Steelers. Actually, I take the opposite tact; my injury history affords me license to root for injury with a clear conscience. It’s insufficient to suggest that one simply root for injury. It’s a more complex situation than that, hence the following analysis:

The Competitive Advantage Injury: The lone cardinal rule of rooting for injuries is to always, always, always, always, without exception, root for injuries to give the Pittsburgh Steelers a competitive advantage. There’s nothing personal; in fact, it’s the ultimate sign of respect. For example, I like Tom Brady, I have the ultimate respect for Tom Brady…and every single week, I root for Tom Brady to break his leg. Not only is it okay to root for injuries to give our Steelers a competitive advantage; I postulate that it’s required. You are less of a fan if you don’t do it.

And, please spare us the BS of not wanting to give the other team and their fans any excuses, any legitimacy to their whining. They can whine all they want, who cares, let ‘em cry. In fact, I rather enjoy it. The ONLY thing that matters are Steelers victories.

Classic rooting for injuries: The Carson Palmer injury in the ’05 WC Playoff….I was on the ceiling, howling with delight. I KNEW when he went down, no way were the Steelers losing that game. In his case, I’d like to see it happen to him again…..wimp leaves the stadium before halftime, with his team still in the lead. When I read that account in SI; I had to re-read it, then re-read it again. Way to be a leader, Carson… watch the game from the La-Z-Boy.

The Rodney Harrison injury in ‘05…..Cedric Wilson earned his year’s pay with that one, his best moment ever as a Pittsburgh Steeler. His TD catch in the AFCCG vs. Denver, and his TD against Cinci in the playoffs were close, but for my money, his ending Rodney Harrison’s season stands out.

The expatriate injury: It was March or so, of ’98. I was watching ESPN report the signing of Yancey Thigpen by the Tennessee Titans. I was filling my living room with invective & vitriol. My then 8-year old daughter, says, “Daddy, what’s wrong?” I say, ”That idiot just left the Steelers to sign with the Stupid Tennessee Titans.” She says, “Daddy, do you hope he breaks his leg?” Of course, I denied it, had to lie to my kid, said, “No Honey, and if I ever say that, I don’t really mean it.” But I do mean it….wholeheartedly!!!

I remember Chad Brown being injured….loved it!! Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake…..wished broken legs on them constantly. Neil O’ Donnell…..cast several spells on his sorry ass….’course his sorry ass was mostly on the bench after leaving Pittsburgh, so it didn’t much matter.

Leave Pittsburgh for more dough, better sushi……I don’t care…and I hope you break your leg (you may have sensed that I have a preference for broken legs as the injury of choice).

The expatriate waiver: Those Steelers that helped us win a Super Bowl, and then left for more dough…..Kimo, Randle El, Chris Hope, Peezy (even though we cut him, it was based on more dough), Clark Haggens. I don’t wish a broken leg on those guys. I do wish that they toil in obscurity for the balance of their careers though….ala Thigpen, ala O’Donnell, et al.

The waiver to the expatriate waiver: When injury to our ex-Steelers who helped us win One for the Thumb gives us a competitive advantage, then I’m all for it. Honestly, I’m starting to get sick with all the fuss over Peezy. Understand, I’m not big on favorite players…and Peezy was my favorite. But, all this BS about people continuing to root for Peezy, cheering for him at Heinz last year…BS on that!!

Tell you what I’ll do though. If Peezy again comes to Pittsburgh, and is announced in the starting lineup…if I’m there, I’ll cheer for him….I will!! He buckles up first play, I’m rooting for him to break his leg…..not contradictory at all.

My lone hesitation with that though is that I do want Peezy to break Tom Brady’s leg during his twice yearly tilts with the Pats. He can’t break Brady’s leg if his own leg’s in two.

The ass injury: Probably everyone roots for injuries to asses. Nobody felt bad when Terrell Owens broke his leg. Not much more to be said on that topic.

Limits to rooting for injuries: Some maniacal fans that I’ve encountered, particularly on the internet, feel differently about this, but I never root for a life-threatening, or a disabling injury. I bordered on saying that I don’t root for career-ending injuries…..I really don’t….but neither do I care if they happen. If Rodney Harrison had never played again, I wouldn’t much care….matter of fact, when he does play, I have to expend energy rooting for him to be re-injured. It would be more efficient, economize on my energy supply if he just remained on the shelf.

Anyway, to demonstrate my compassion, please consider….I hate Tedy Bruschi, abhor him….can’t stand the guy. He does make plays, at least he used to me, which made me hate him more. I loved when he got put on his ass during the Addai TD run to win the ’06 AFCCG. I can’t even accuse Brushchi of being an illegal from Arizona, of wading across the Rio Grande. I know he’s a Dago like me.

Oh…my compassion…almost forgot. When Bruschi came back from his stroke midway through the ’05 season, I specifically rooted for a non-stroke related injury. Some were rooting for his “heart to explode.” Not me….I was rooting for the standard broken leg on his first play back. It would’ve been great….Tedy walks onto the field to a thunderous standing ovation from the Foxboro nitwits (sports most pronounced idiots…the Pats fan, many of whom I know and am supposed to love), seconds later, he’s on the field, his leg busted in two. I even argued that a broken leg would spare him from the potentially life-threatening injury.

So….there ya have it folks, free yourself, don’t feel guilty about rooting for injuries. As a Steelers fan…..it’s more than okay, it’s your right, it’s your obligation….it’s your duty!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------------------

This is an excerpt from My life as a Pittsburgh Steelers Fan written by Swissvale72. The link below will take to the full document (70 pages) to read at your pleasure. A great deal of effort and memory went into this piece and we thank Swiss for sharing and taking the time to put his experiences on paper to share with other fans. Enjoy!

http://members.cox.net/steelerfury/Wer efromthetown.pdf

fansince'76
09-10-2008, 11:04 AM
Wasn't rooting for it to happen. By the same token I'm not the least bit sympathetic either. I think the notion that the "NFL needs Tom Brady" is a complete crock of shit. NOBODY is bigger than the game itself. :coffee:

atlsteelers
09-10-2008, 11:11 AM
too funny, folks get mad at me sometimes when i call for broken leg or to pop the guys head off. i am glad other folks share my disdain for the opponents

steelreserve
09-10-2008, 11:49 AM
Most of us will probably say we weren't rooting for Brady to get injured, but we all knew in the back of our minds that if something like this happened, it would make us go "LOL." It's one of those circumstances where no one except Patriots fans and the morons on ESPN actually feel bad about it even a little bit, and the ESPN guys probably only because they have to keep up appearances.

klick81
09-10-2008, 12:05 PM
I find it hilarious, and for the most part agree with the piece.

Although it REALLY depends on the player...and I think I've really only felt this way about one player, and that's Brady.

steelreserve
09-10-2008, 02:22 PM
I find it hilarious, and for the most part agree with the piece.

Although it REALLY depends on the player...and I think I've really only felt this way about one player, and that's Brady.

It's still pretty funny when things happen to loudmouth guys with an attitude (think Owens, Moss, etc.). Heck, when Owens still played for the 49ers and did that thing in Dallas where instead of spiking the ball, he ran out to the 50-yard line and put it in the middle of the Cowboy star logo ... I laughed like hell when he tried to do it a second time and got his clock cleaned by a Dallas guy. I mean, he didn't get seriously hurt, but you're like, "heh. Had it coming to him."

stlrtruck
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
It's still pretty funny when things happen to loudmouth guys with an attitude (think Owens, Moss, etc.). Heck, when Owens still played for the 49ers and did that thing in Dallas where instead of spiking the ball, he ran out to the 50-yard line and put it in the middle of the Cowboy star logo ... I laughed like hell when he tried to do it a second time and got his clock cleaned by a Dallas guy. I mean, he didn't get seriously hurt, but you're like, "heh. Had it coming to him."

That Dallas "guy" was Emmitt Smith. That was classic.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-10-2008, 03:29 PM
The only player I root for to get injured is Ray Lewis. I root for him to become a parapalegic. SOB should be sitting in a jail cell, not making millions playing football.

As for Tom Brady's injury, it was karma. Karma for Spygate, karma for the other cheating aspects, karma for Brady constantly being questionable with a shoulder injury that nobody knew anything about.

Do I feel bad for Tom Brady? I do, mostly because it killed my fantasy team. Do I feel bad for the Patriots? Hell no, I wish their team plane would crash into the Atlantic ocean.

jjpro11
09-10-2008, 04:17 PM
ray lewis and jerramy stevens can drop dead for all i care. they should both be rotting in prison instead of making millions playing a game.

klick81
09-10-2008, 04:53 PM
Hell no, I wish their team plane would crash into the Atlantic ocean.

LOL...you don't mean that. Football isn't THAT big of a deal.

The Duke
09-10-2008, 05:10 PM
there are some exceptions where I could root for injuries

jerramy stevens is one( thanks for reminding me jjpro11) and mike vick( even if he's not currently playing). there are probably more though

what pains me is how talented young players, and good persons, get injured instead of the prima donas like moss and TO

Dino 6 Rings
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Does it count if you root for your team to

"rip out their guts and strangle them to death with their own entrails"

"smash in their skulls, rip out their eyes and drink their blood"

"tear out their spines and beat them to death with them"

"hit him so hard his mother cries and grandchildren are born bruised"

Is that rooting for injuries? cause that's kind of what I do...every game...

Dino 6 Rings
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
Notice, I never Curse while cheering my team to victory while at a live game. but I do say all of the above things.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-10-2008, 06:32 PM
I usually don't root for injuries...I see were people would root for Ray Ray to be injured.....I don't know the facts of the murder case but he was there...So can't blame folks for wanting to see Ray injured....

Me personally I would root for an injury like someone like Leonard Little....Who drove drunk and killed someone's wife/mother....Sorry but that guy is just scum and really shouldn't be allowed to play NFL football...

As for Marsha......I didn't root for him to be injured but at the same time I'm not sad at all to see him out for the year....Hate the Pats and douche bag Brady also....Justice was served in my mind...

RoethlisBURGHer
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
LOL...you don't mean that. Football isn't THAT big of a deal.

I never said anything about them dying, just floating wondering if they will ever be saved for a lil while, that's all. :wink02:

CantStop85
09-10-2008, 09:06 PM
Having been through a pretty injury-plagued athletic career, I wouldn't wish an injury on anyone...even people I don't care for.

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2008, 12:51 PM
I do kind of hope that our defense knocks out all of Anderson's teeth this weekend, with a clean hard hit of coarse.

I'd enjoy seeing him spit out a mouth full of busted teeth and blood and head to sideline saying something like "I quit"

Not because I hate Anderson, but simply because he is the QB we are facing this week.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-11-2008, 03:20 PM
I do kind of hope that our defense knocks out all of Anderson's teeth this weekend, with a clean hard hit of coarse.

I'd enjoy seeing him spit out a mouth full of busted teeth and blood and head to sideline saying something like "I quit"

Not because I hate Anderson, but simply because he is the QB we are facing this week.

:tt03: I love it!

sixstringlass
09-13-2008, 05:27 AM
I usually don't root for injuries...I see were people would root for Ray Ray to be injured.....I don't know the facts of the murder case but he was there...So can't blame folks for wanting to see Ray injured....

Honestly, with Ray Lewis, just him waking up and having to look at that disgusting mug every morning is almost punishment enough.

LOL

Galax Steeler
09-13-2008, 05:35 AM
There are a couple of people I would love to see them get there clocks cleaned and one of them did in week one that was Brady.

beSteelmyheart
09-13-2008, 11:29 PM
I'll admit I like to say "Poor, poor Tom" with a snicker & an evil gleam in my eye. Now if only Billicheat would fade back into obscurity where he belongs....
Now I'm really getting sick of Tony Romo & would love to see him get knocked on his ass & bloodied up a bit. I'm a dallas hater from way back & that would just make my day. And they can beat up TO a little while they are at it. I'm sick of them both.

missedgehead
09-20-2008, 10:52 PM
Well, I don't believe in "rooting" for injury on ANY player. I don't believe in that. I don't think that Brady's injury, as a Pats fan, well, as a football fan in general, I am sorry it happened, but I don't think it is karma. It could have happened to ANY QB. I don't think he "deserved" it like I am seeing alot of my fellow Steeler fans saying it is. I think that is dumb and ridiculous. No one deserves to be hurt like that, no matter who it is, or how you feel about them.

Ask Carson Palmer. I am sure he knows all about how that kind of injury hurts when , oh what's his name again, oh Von Oelhoffen (sp) rammed his knee and tore it up. Palmer didn't deserve it either. Palmer is on the hated Bengals and I can't stand them Bengals as a Steeler fan, but I don't cheer for Palmer being hurt.

Sorry, I just think cheering an athlete's being hurt is wrong. Trust me, and maybe he will lucky to avoid it, but we Steeler fans would not be happy to see Ben laying there and having an injury like Palmer and Brady's and have other fans laughing at him. In fact, when Ben turned into Evil Kenievel a couple of years ago, alot of us were mad at all the jokes about him that were being made, so I don't think a serious injury like what Brady suffered should be laughed at. JMO

Preacher
09-20-2008, 11:02 PM
I usually only wish for a good beak to beak hit which dazes the guy till the end of the game... kinda like what keeps happening to Cincy's WR's by our DB's :laughing:.

millwalldavey
09-21-2008, 10:43 AM

"He got a .32 gun that he carries for fun, he got a razor in his shoe."

Elvis
09-22-2008, 04:42 PM
Now, I am all for going in and smacking the crap out of our oppponents but to wish injury on anyone is a sorry thing for anyone to do!!

:doh: