PDA

View Full Version : "Quarterbacks are in trouble this year"

tony hipchest
09-10-2008, 09:56 PM
kind of a follow up article on the spagnola delivering the blueprint to defeat the brady's* one. thanks spags!:thumbsup: and ultimately, thanks lebeau!
http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80ab13ca&template=with-video&confirm=true

Here's one thing that stood out from Week 1: Quarterbacks are in trouble this year.

Just look at New England where Tom Brady, the 2007 NFL MVP, is already on the shelf for the 2008 season because of a knee injury incurred when the Chiefs blitzed safety Bernard Pollard.

As I reported during my summer camp tour, defensive coordinators around the league were inspired by the New York Giant game plan that sacked Brady five times and hit him another nine times in Super Bowl XLII. As defenses continue to bring the heat, this could be a tough year for quarterbacks all around the NFL. Week 1 could be a sign of things to come.

Vince Young (Tennessee) and Brodie Croyle (Kansas City) will miss time after the beatings they took. Jeff Garcia (Tampa Bay) may not be ready to go this week and Ben Roethlisberger (Pittsburgh) and Tony Romo (Dallas) are just two of the signal callers that dodged a bullet in Week 1.

I took a look at three game tapes from Week 1, and the pressure the Titans, Steelers and Bills put on opposing quarterbacks suggests that it will be dangerous on the gridiron for quarterbacks this year. Buffalo had five sacks and nine more hits on Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck. Pittsburgh sacked Houston's Matt Schaub five times and hit him another six times. The Titans made life miserable for David Garrard as they sacked him seven times and tagged him with an extra 10 quarterback hits. There's little chance these quarterbacks or any others could survive a season of double-digit hits every weekend.

Week 1 saw a total of 65 sacks and another 107 hits on quarterbacks. That doesn't include all the shots quarterbacks take throughout the game, but it does illustrate that on average the most important player on the field for each team was hit or sacked a little over five times. Run that number out over 16 games and each starting QB is looking at getting tagged 80 times in 2008.

There was a time when teams refused to go after a quarterback such as Peyton Manning, because he would burn any teams that tried to blitz him. But the Bears decided heat would be a much bigger part of the game plan Sunday night than it was in Super Bowl XLI two years ago. If teams are willing to go after Manning, they will really turn up the heat on the young QBs.

As one defensive coordinator suggested this week, "We can't let two rookie quarterbacks with no experience come into this league and win games. We must get after them and the other guys who haven't played enough to recognize all the ways we can get a hit on them."

Matt Ryan (Atlanta) and Joe Flacco (Baltimore) did great jobs winning their home openers, but now they go on the road in Week 2, which should be more of a test.

What was interesting when I broke down the 65 sacks from Week 1 was where they came from. Perhaps it will provide an idea of what may lie ahead in the next few weeks.

Where the sacks came from in Week 1
Position Sacks
Defensive ends 24
Outside linebackers 16
Defensive tackles 12
Inside linebackers 7
Safeties 3
Cornerbacks 1
The number of defensive line sacks and outside linebacker sacks from the 3-4 teams will always be the core of pressure, but notice that 11 sacks came from inside linebackers or defensive backs. When offensive lines have to pay so much attention to the traditional pass rushers, that sets up the fire zone schemes that will fake a defensive line pass rush and blitz a safety, corner or inside linebacker. Look for the pressure numbers to increase for those less-likely positions over the next few weeks.

Offensive coordinators have to protect their quarterbacks and the league can't afford to absorb the quarterback injury rate we witnessed in Week 1. As one quarterback coach said to me this week, "We probably need to use more 6- and 7-man protection schemes than we used in the past and a few 8-man protections would make sense."

fansince'76
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
Not to worry. Due to Sunday's "horrific tragedy," I'm sure that a new rule is in the works by Goodell to make QBs completely off limits.

http://www.geocities.com/~Pack215/flag-football309x272.gif

MasterOfPuppets
09-10-2008, 10:06 PM
wow......they act as if the giants invented the blitz......:popcorn:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
I love how our defense disguises who is rushing the QB. They don't even know if our entire front three are coming, because I have seen both Keisel and Smith drop into coverage, leaving the offensive line completly confused.

Look for the Steelers to up up there in the top of the league in sacks and QB hits this year.

BLITZBURGH IS BACK BABY!

WWIIOwheelz
09-10-2008, 11:27 PM
BLITZBURGH IS BACK BABY!

I've been telling everyone I know that since training camp! I'm a very happy guy about it, too :)

steelwall
09-10-2008, 11:37 PM
I They don't even know if our entire front three are coming, because I have seen both Keisel and Smith drop into coverage, leaving the offensive line completly confused.

Yeah I even seen Hampton drop back into coverage........of the buffet table:laughing:

Seriously we could pile up some sacks this year. If Woodley continues to dominate teams, can't plan for our D.

Steelman16
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Good thing our quarterback can take a beating and still throw 32 TD's. :thumbsup:

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 12:23 AM
Good thing our quarterback can take a beating and still throw 32 TD's. :thumbsup:i think it was 2 seperate instances where i have heard tomlin refer to how good the steelers "moving pocket" has looked in camp.

theres been a change in our o-line personel. and an definite shift in our o-line philosophy. it seems this "moving pocket" is a way of being ahead of the curve and combatting the latest defensive trends.

it seems so obvious now.

-a moving target is harder to hit than a stationary one.
-ben loves getting outside the pocket.
-one of bens greatest strengths is throwing on the run while outside the pocket.
-we need to teach our line to move with ben on more designed plays as opposed to scrambles.
-faneca was resistant to this change and learning new "tricks".

im also certain when tomlin 1st interviewed with the steelers, he said "this is the direction the league is going (we know he studied peyton and brady being defeated in the 05 playoffs) and this is what i will do to protect your franchise qb, keep him off his back, and maximize his skillz.... it may take a year or 2 though."

Steelman16
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
i think it was 2 seperate instances where i have heard tomlin refer to how good the steelers "moving pocket" has looked in camp.

theres been a change in our o-line personel. and an definite shift in our o-line philosophy. it seems this "moving pocket" is a way of being ahead of the curve and combatting the latest defensive trends.

it seems so obvious now.

-a moving target is harder to hit than a stationary one.
-ben loves getting outside the pocket.
-one of bens greatest strengths is throwing on the run while outside the pocket.
-we need to teach our line to move with ben on more designed plays as opposed to scrambles.
-faneca was resistant to this change and learning new "tricks".

im also certain when tomlin 1st interviewed with the steelers, he said "this is the direction the league is going (we know he studied peyton and brady being defeated in the 05 playoffs) and this is what i will do to protect your franchise qb, keep him off his back, and maximize his skillz.... it may take a year or 2 though."

Conspiracy! :mallet:

:chuckle:

I agree with you. I missed the game, but did anyone see any sign of this against the Texans? I realize there wasn't much need for it, with Willie running all over tarnation.

tony hipchest
09-11-2008, 01:45 AM
but did anyone see any sign of this against the Texans? nah, but really, with only 14 (ben) passing attempts (we aint utilizing a moving pocket for lefty) there wasnt much to go on. the steelers played pretty vanilla smashmouth football, as you noted, and there was no need to expose any tricks up the sleeve or wrinkles.

on the flipside was the arrogant idiot belichick who "got caught with his pants down" and "got caught with his hand in the cookie jar".

brady had 11 passing attempts in the 1st 2 drives (in the 1st quarter) alone before his twig was snapped.

:doh: i bet 'chick is wondering why he hasnt developed a running game instead of putting on a dog and pony show for the fans, right about now.

in the meantime, theres NO way the steelers would pay ben $102 mil just to toss it 14 times a game, right? :wink02:

rope-a-dope.

tomlin becomes a better coach with every passing day.:tt03:

augustashark
09-11-2008, 01:55 AM
Two words, running game!

The only way to keep inside backers from just pinning there ears back is to run it right down their throats. Hell, it don't even take breaking 40yrd runs it just takes the effort.

No running game = QB on IR.

Galax Steeler
09-11-2008, 04:38 AM
I hope our deffense keeps the heat up this week when we play the stains and not give anderson time to throw.

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 07:47 AM
nah, but really, with only 14 (ben) passing attempts (we aint utilizing a moving pocket for lefty) there wasnt much to go on. the steelers played pretty vanilla smashmouth football, as you noted, and there was no need to expose any tricks up the sleeve or wrinkles.

Keep in mind that Ben had (at least) 16 pass plays. There were 2 quarterback sacks (which only occur on pass plays.) Having not watched the game, I can't say if any of Ben's runs were pass plays with good coverage that he took advantage of by running.

I know you did use the word "attempts", which makes my comment a moot point...but I want to ensure that the other pass plays (2 of which have to be considered broken plays) are taken into consideration.

Granted, 2 sacks per game is a big drop off from the last two years, but that's still a lot of sacks.

stlrtruck
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
wah, wah, wah...

Has everyone in the league forgotten that Quarterbacks are football players too?

Take a hit, scramble, do something BUT PLEASE STOP WHINNING!!!

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
Saw a guy on Rome's show this week calling for making it illegal to TOUCH any QB below the waist. Illegal to TOUCH THE QB!

Ridiculous.

This is all knee-jerk. Look at Favre and Manning. How many years between them in the league, and how many starts have they missed? I know Manning has NEVER mised a start, and Favre is what? Less than 5?

klick81
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
Favre is what? Less than 5?

Hasn't Farve never missed a start?

fansince'76
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
Saw a guy on Rome's show this week calling for making it illegal to TOUCH any QB below the waist. Illegal to TOUCH THE QB!

Ridiculous.

This is all knee-jerk.

Like I said....

Not to worry. Due to Sunday's "horrific tragedy," I'm sure that a new rule is in the works by Goodell to make QBs completely off limits.

http://www.geocities.com/~Pack215/flag-football309x272.gif

Knee-jerk? Absolutely. But considering all the over-the-top melodrama over the injury to the Golden Boy, you really think it couldn't happen? After all, "the NFL NEEDS him." :rolleyes:

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
I agree, Quarterbacks of the teams we play are in serious freaking trouble. I can't wait for Sunday to see if our defense can do better than 5 sacks, 1 fumble and 2 interceptions.

I'd like 6 sacks, 2 fumbles and 2 interceptions with one taken to the house. That would make me come close to smiling.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Looking around the league, there are just a ton of injuries in general, seems like a lot more than usual for this time of year. I remember seeing the ESPN crawl and team after team reporting "so and so out for the year with____".

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2008, 05:33 PM
Looking around the league, there are just a ton of injuries in general, seems like a lot more than usual for this time of year. I remember seeing the ESPN crawl and team after team reporting "so and so out for the year with____".

Last one standing wins. That's what it seems like. Remember the Steelers were very healthy going into the playoffs in 05. Even Troy as at 100%.

I hope him and Aaron and Willie and Ben and Hines and Holmes and the entire team including the Punter (out of year and we moved on) stay healthy and take us to Glory.

BEN!

YOU STILL OWE ME 3 RINGS! Terry got me 4 ya know. FOUR! You only have ONE. WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR!

Sorry...had to let him know he's still in my dog house for taking his time getting my rings.