PDA

View Full Version : Death Magnetic received today!

Steelerstrength
09-11-2008, 12:50 AM
This afternoon the postman dropped a small box at my home office, where I was conveniently working today. Inside was the new CD from Metallica! I immediately went to my workstation that has the subwoofer and surround speakers, so I could blast it.

Just thought I would share some brief thoughts.

Ten songs:

That Was Just Your Life 7:08 (Thumping of a heartbeat gets it started. Awesome guitar!)

The End Of The Line 7:52 (Similar to the first song. Just as easy to appreciate!)

Broken, Beat & Scarred 6:25 (Twisted beginning is sweet! "Breaking your life, broken beat and scarred. But we die hard"

The Day That Never Comes 7:56 (It has been said this should be played for the troops!)

All Nightmare Long 7:58 (speed metal with great tempo changes)

Cyanide 6:40 (Bad Jam! Great for a heavy leg workout!)

The Unforgiven III 7:47 (beginning of piano & violin is interesting. Expected slow tempo true to it's two predecessors)

The Judas Kiss 8:01 (beginning reminds me of the Black album. Great changes & drums)

Suicide & Redemption 9:58 (Purely awesome!)

My Apocalypse 8:01 (Another sweet jam!)

I burned it to my system, and loaded my shuffle. Then headed to the gym for a kick-ass shoulder and ab workout. Suicide & Redemption is f'ing awesome to blast to! At nearly 10 minutes, this instrumental brings back thoughts of Ktulu, but more powerful, with solos by everyone.

My opinion is, this is one great CD! Got my tix to see them in December! :tt03:

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it...I always go on these marathon listening sessions when discs from my favorite bands drop...Can't appreciate an album until I've listened to it at least 15 times.

Question: Guitar solo's in all the songs?

Steelerstrength
09-11-2008, 11:41 AM
Awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on it...I always go on these marathon listening sessions when discs from my favorite bands drop...Can't appreciate an album until I've listened to it at least 15 times.

Question: Guitar solo's in all the songs?

We think alike when it comes to new Cd's! I'm currently on my 5th listen, all the way through. Although I must admit to replaying Suicide & Redemption at least 6 times in a row, while training last night. The guitar is crazy, which only compliments this very powerful jam!

Judas Kiss has an awesome solo! Cyanide also has a sweet solo along with some outrageous drums! All Nightmare Long has some crazy fast pickin' goin on! Kirk is one bad mf'er! So, I guess there really are solos on every song! Just trying to recall each. I can't wait to try and play these on Rock Band. Good luck keeping up.

Sorry for the ramble, but that's just how my thoughts and recollection are coming out.

Every time I listen it just gets better, and louder! :banging:

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Good...I remember them having all those stupid arguments over solo's in the documentary for St Anger, and all the while I was thinking "This IS Metallica, right? Put in the damned solos!"

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 02:04 PM
Cool! I'm picking it up tomorrow.

Going to see them in January.

millwalldavey
09-11-2008, 03:09 PM
WOW! Long songs on this one! Are they trying to get away from the radio airplay? After all, they really do not need the promo and havent for about 20 years.

Blonde Bomber
09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
It is an excellent CD

The Duke
09-11-2008, 06:04 PM
already ordered, still waiting for it :banging:

thanks for the quick review. can't wait to get it :jammin:

Blonde Bomber
09-11-2008, 06:19 PM
WOW! Long songs on this one! Are they trying to get away from the radio airplay? After all, they really do not need the promo and havent for about 20 years.

I think they are trying to get back to their Master days feeling, they had a lot of long songs then. I think their backing is strong enough that they don't have to worry as much about the radio, plus a lot of stations have Metallica hours. Thay had Slayers old producer for this album, and the first thing he wanted them to do is imagine what the rest of Master of Puppets would sound like.

Steeler in Carolina
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Good review. I was planning on getting it tomorrow, now I can't wait.

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 08:50 AM
To be fair, St. Anger had very little radio appeal either...

NJarhead
09-12-2008, 03:30 PM
Picked it up this morning before work. So far I've listened all the way through Unforgiven III (Track 7?). I really like it and will probably grow to love it. :hatsoff:

43Hitman
09-12-2008, 04:12 PM
I got the album this afternoon. So far I really like it.. Some really nice licks in Broken, Beat & Scarred.

The Day that never Comes... Music reminded me of The Thing that should not be. Never have been crazy for Hetfield trying to sing pretty. Liked the bridge, it has a nice hook.

I'll post more comments later after I listen to it better. I really like it so far. They definitely went back to their roots though. Which is a great thing.

Steeler in Carolina
09-12-2008, 10:19 PM
I also got it today, but have not listened all the way through.

Preacher
09-12-2008, 11:32 PM
OK...

I just downloaded the album (russian site.. .but yes, it is legal.... AND I did pay for it!)

Listening to the first song... My jaw just about droped in the opening frames... wow, it is Old Metallica again... with maturity.

I LOVE it.

Let's see how the rest of the album goes!

NJarhead
09-13-2008, 11:59 AM
Track 3 - "Broken, Beat & Scarred." :thumbsup:

Steelerstrength
09-13-2008, 02:37 PM
Listened about 15 times now, especially yesterday during my 6 hours on the road. There are great things to love about almost every song, and most have been identified. I have to admit being most fond of Suicide & Redemption! With the tempo changes and heavy shit, I'm going to wear it out! :thumbsup::thumbsup::banging:

tony hipchest
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
OK...

I just downloaded the album (russian site.. .but yes, it is legal.... AND I did pay for it!)

Listening to the first song... My jaw just about droped in the opening frames... wow, it is Old Metallica again... with maturity.

I LOVE it.

you commie! :mad: shoulda used napster! :chuckle:

legal? yes. ethical? NO. putin (no pun intended) food in those rich (new to capitalism,) rooskies mouths :popcorn:

:dang:

i'll be getting a hard copy on wax (ok, chinese plastic) next week.

oh, did i bother to say "welcome back Preacher"? :wink02:

millwalldavey
09-14-2008, 10:32 AM
I may actually try to snare this to see what its like.

When they went big, they ceased being our band in my eyes, when i liked them my friends told me they were scumbags... now Metallica is their favorite band. I've had no interest since Justice.

NJarhead
09-14-2008, 11:25 AM
OK...

I LOVE it.

As long as Lars gets paid, you shouldn't have any problems. :wink02:

Preacher
09-14-2008, 05:58 PM
As long as Lars gets paid, you shouldn't have any problems. :wink02:

:chuckle:

I completely understand what he was saying.... but then I kept remembering him talking about how they used to trade ripped cassette tapes of European bands when he was younger.

millwalldavey
09-14-2008, 09:37 PM
MUSIC BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE!

Preacher
09-14-2008, 11:43 PM
MUSIC BELONGS TO THE PEOPLE!

LOL

Nope.

According to US copyright laws, it belongs to the performers and writers.

tony hipchest
09-15-2008, 12:18 AM
LOL

Nope.

According to US copyright laws, it belongs to the performers and writers.

...and random russian websites.

Preacher
09-15-2008, 12:47 AM
...and random russian websites.

Nope, they pay royalties...

Dang I love free trade! :rofl: