PDA

View Full Version : Let Us Never Forget . . . .

HometownGal
09-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Today is the 7th anniversary of the terrorist attacks on our great nation. Let us all take a moment today and bow our heads in prayer for and/or remembrance of all of those who suffered and died on September 11, 2001.

Thank you to our servicemen and women who put their lives on the line every day to keep us all safe and free! :salute::usa:

God Bless America!

http://www.myspaceanimations.com/images/911_1.gif

GBMelBlount
09-11-2008, 07:44 AM
Thoughts and prayers for those who died on sept. 11th, and the loved ones they left behind.

STEELtownHAVOX
09-11-2008, 08:29 AM
Remembered.

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 08:41 AM
What was everyone doing that day?

I had left Active Duty Navy 10 August 2001. I joined the Army Reserves 23 August 2001. I was working at the Reserve Center in Cross Lanes WV (basically a part of Charleston) when MSG Crump (now a Sergeant Major) had me help put up concertina wire around the center. Then I had to direct the Forklift to put the barriers in place, moved a Humvee near the entrance so that we could get an M249 gunner up in it to hold "watch" as a gate guard. I didn't know anything about the towers until roughly 1600 (4 PM for you civilian types).

It went from a normal day of facility clean up (we were repainting/reorganizing) to trying to teach me how to look/act like a Soldier, lol.

Had to carry an M16 (which I had never shot before), put on TA-50 (helmet, vest, canteens and all that Soldiery stuff) pull guard duty. It was a crazy day.

We went from, you might not have orders next week, to...you're going to go to school in two weeks to get MOS-Q'd (learn my job) in the event that we have to go to war.

Total craziness.

stlrtruck
09-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Prayers for those who lost loved ones
Prayers for those still fighting the cause
Prayers for our leaders
Prayers for our country

To answer your question xfl - I was preparing to winterize a minor league ballpark. I didn't get much done that day.

revefsreleets
09-11-2008, 09:43 AM
I worked for Bellsouth, working on assignment in a town in Florida (Spring Hill) that was literally full of NYC transplants (The developer lured New Yorkers into the community by offering free moving and the offer that if people didn't like their new house they'd buy it back after a year and pay for the move back).

Bellsouth was a paradigm of insensitivity that day because they made us work, and expected all these concerned New Yorkers, most of whom had a TON of family back in NYC, to keep their appointments with us in a "business as usual" fashion.

Shame on them. Then they laid me and 12,000 of my fellow workers off a month later.

Dino 6 Rings
09-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I had gotten off an airplane at Newark Airport at 1am on 9/11. Got home, fell asleep, woke up to watch planes like the one I had just gotten off of smash into buildings.

I'll never forget.

I could see the smoke from my work window in Parsippany NJ. For over a week we could see the smoke all the way in NYC.

I'll never forget.

X-Terminator
09-11-2008, 09:58 AM
I still remember being in the Greyhound Bus Terminal that day buying a ticket to go see my then-girlfriend, and someone coming in saying that a plane had crashed into the WTC. I thought it was just some small private plane that had crashed, but it wasn't until I got home when I found out that the second plane had hit the other WTC tower. It was all downhill from there - the devastation, the fear, looking in the sky and seeing absolutely NO commercial planes for a week after the attacks. It's something I will never, ever forget.

My prayers go out to all of the victims and their families, as well as our troops home and abroad who fight for our right to get on this message board and discuss any and all topics. :usa::salute:

klick81
09-11-2008, 11:32 AM
May all the victims RIP.

Godfather
09-11-2008, 01:26 PM
I had left Active Duty Navy 10 August 2001. I joined the Army Reserves 23 August 2001

Wow...how do you handle interbranch rivalry? :drink:

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I had gotten off an airplane at Newark Airport at 1am on 9/11. Got home, fell asleep, woke up to watch planes like the one I had just gotten off of smash into buildings.

I'll never forget.

I could see the smoke from my work window in Parsippany NJ. For over a week we could see the smoke all the way in NYC.

I'll never forget.

No, and neither will I. I was in the harbor that night and had the acrid smoke coming in my my living room windows for more than a week after. I'll never forget that smell as long as I live. :headshake:

xfl2001fan
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow...how do you handle interbranch rivalry? :drink:

I root for Navy. They're my #3 college team (behind OSU and WVU.) All my Army buddies like to give me grief for it, but it's whatever.

No, and neither will I. I was in the harbor that night and had the acrid smoke coming in my my living room windows for more than a week after. I'll never forget that smell as long as I live. :headshake:

Wow, sorry to hear that. It's incidents like this that make me glad I've lived so far from big city's most of my life.

lilyoder6
09-11-2008, 05:13 PM
i was at school the day it happened... and it was schocking for me b/c at the pentagon hit my uncle and aunt worked there... and just a month early my father who worked there got promoted and we got transfered out to kc... it could of been a dif story than it is now if the promotion never happened or it was later in the yr.. as a personal point i'm glad he got out before it happened.. but i pray for all of those who died..

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 05:18 PM
I root for Navy. They're my #3 college team (behind OSU and WVU.) All my Army buddies like to give me grief for it, but it's whatever.

Wow, sorry to hear that. It's incidents like this that make me glad I've lived so far from big city's most of my life.

Damn straight! Go Navy!!!

Please don't be sorry for me. I suffered the loss of no loved ones that day, thank God.

SteelersGirlTN7
09-11-2008, 07:14 PM
I was working for AT&T Long Distance customer service, for an outsource company, in Jacksonville, NC. I got to work between the 2 plane crashes. I heard about the first one as I was getting there, and went to the breakroom to see everyone gathered around the tv. I was living 5 minutes from Camp Lejeune, and rumors were flying that we were on the target list b/c of being such a large Marine installation. That never came to be, but we had a lot of people from all around the country, frantically trying to reach family.

We had to still go about business for a while (they did end up sending us home at 1:30) however, that was not before the worst call I've ever had to get through. My customer was calling from AZ (where it was 830a) and it was 1130 where I was. The call started w/ her basically yelling at me, not letting me get in a word edgewise. She was yelling about her long distance not working. When I could say something, I asked her if she had been watrching tv that morning.? She said "No, I dont have a TV, WHY are you asking me about tv? Im talking about my long distance. She yelled at me a bit more, and in the spirit of customer service, I let her vent. Then I again asked her if she had heard anything that had been going on that day? She had no idea. She was trying to call her son that morning, he lived in NYC (of course all circuits were busy). Amid all that yelling, I knew what I was going to have to tell her. I told her something had happened in the area that had caused disturbances with the phone line. I just came out and said that 2 planes had hit the WTC towers. She went from mad angry customer to broken down crying in a split second. As soon as I told her... she dropped the phone .. I could hear her saying .. OMG OMG .. my son is on the 105th floor.. OMG .. I tried to get her attention because we were not allowed to hang up on people, but given the situation, I knew that would be hard. I hung up on that call, and i got off the phone and went to my team lead and told her, there was no way I could do that again. She gave me a project to do, and within an hour or so , they were sending us home, but I will NEVER forget that day, and that poor woman.

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 07:41 PM
I was working for AT&T Long Distance customer service, for an outsource company, in Jacksonville, NC. I got to work between the 2 plane crashes. I heard about the first one as I was getting there, and went to the breakroom to see everyone gathered around the tv. I was living 5 minutes from Camp Lejeune, and rumors were flying that we were on the target list b/c of being such a large Marine installation. That never came to be, but we had a lot of people from all around the country, frantically trying to reach family.

We had to still go about business for a while (they did end up sending us home at 1:30) however, that was not before the worst call I've ever had to get through. My customer was calling from AZ (where it was 830a) and it was 1130 where I was. The call started w/ her basically yelling at me, not letting me get in a word edgewise. She was yelling about her long distance not working. When I could say something, I asked her if she had been watrching tv that morning.? She said "No, I dont have a TV, WHY are you asking me about tv? Im talking about my long distance. She yelled at me a bit more, and in the spirit of customer service, I let her vent. Then I again asked her if she had heard anything that had been going on that day? She had no idea. She was trying to call her son that morning, he lived in NYC (of course all circuits were busy). Amid all that yelling, I knew what I was going to have to tell her. I told her something had happened in the area that had caused disturbances with the phone line. I just came out and said that 2 planes had hit the WTC towers. She went from mad angry customer to broken down crying in a split second. As soon as I told her... she dropped the phone .. I could hear her saying .. OMG OMG .. my son is on the 105th floor.. OMG .. I tried to get her attention because we were not allowed to hang up on people, but given the situation, I knew that would be hard. I hung up on that call, and i got off the phone and went to my team lead and told her, there was no way I could do that again. She gave me a project to do, and within an hour or so , they were sending us home, but I will NEVER forget that day, and that poor woman.

WOW. That poor woman. I had to console a kid who's Dad worked there. He was the only one they hadn't heard from. Eventually, they found out that he was helping people and made it out alive. I think his brother-in-law died however. His Sister worked there too.

On a side note: Camp Lejeune is my old stomping gound.

SteelCityMan786
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
8:46am-Terrorists Crash American Airlines Flight 11 into the North Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC1)

9:03am-Terrorists Crash American Airlines Flight 175 into the South Tower of the World Trade Center (WTC2)

9:37am-Terroists Crash American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon

9:59am-The South Tower of the World Trade Center Collapses

10:03am-Terrorists Crash Planes into a field in Shanksville, PA.

10:28am-The North Tower of the World Center Collapses

5:27pm-A seperate building at the WTC site, collapses

It's hard to believe It was 7 years ago that I was in the 4th grade sitting in a classroom and watching it all unfold. It was just hard to believe that an attack that many thought could only happen in their nightmares, could become reality.

To all of those who died at the World Trade Center, we all hope that the good lord took you home to heaven after your life was cut way too short. To those who were injured and survive it, we hope you have recovered or continue to if you are still in that mode today. To those who lost loved ones, our prayers are still with you today, and know that when your life is over on earth, those family members you lost, will be reunited with you in Heaven.

May God Bless America.

Polamalu Princess
09-11-2008, 07:54 PM
May God bless all.

Texasteel
09-11-2008, 07:58 PM
Its hard for me to understand a mind set that can turn innocent women and children into targets and call it war. Striking in secret is war, but striking at the defenseless for no other reason than to increase the body count it not only murder, but the act of an incredibly cowardice people. I will never understand, never forget, and never forgive.

NV STEELERS 723
09-12-2008, 12:02 AM
Amen to that Gal!

Steelman16
09-12-2008, 01:29 AM
http://www.christiansoldiers.com/images/smiles/wos_armee_007.gif

Never forget!

JPPT1974
09-12-2008, 01:49 AM
Praying for those that still miss love dones
And for those that are fighting for our freedom
To assure this never, ever happens again!

Galax Steeler
09-12-2008, 05:07 AM
That day will never be forgotten and thanks to all the men and women fighting terrorisom across the seas.