PDA

View Full Version : Woodley wins Defensive Player of the Week!

stillers4me
09-11-2008, 06:03 PM
Posted: 14 minutes ago
Woodley voted Week 1 GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week
National Football League

Linebacker LaMarr Woodley of the Pittsburgh Steelers is the GMC Sierra Defensive Player of the Week for games played on Sept. 4-8.

Woodley was selected from among five finalists by voters on NFL.com/gmc. The other finalists were DE John Abraham of the Atlanta Falcons, CB Cortland Finnegan of the Tennessee Titans, CB Chris Gamble of the Carolina Panthers and DE Travis LaBoy of the Arizona Cardinals.
http://www.nfl.com/partner?partnerType=players-defense

:applaudit: Congrats and many more to come!

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
DOMINATE!!! :tt02:

KeiselPower99
09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Awesome. Lets hope he earns another this week.

SteelersJW
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Yeah! Woodley is a beast. Can't wait to see how many sacks he can pile on this year. Good luck to him against the Browns' offensive line.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2008, 06:35 PM
Sorry, but what a joke. Just proves that we as Steeler fans can find NFL.com to vote on.

He wasnt even the best defensive player on the Steelers last week. I thought James Harrison had a better afternoon and now that I look at the stats Harrison had just as many sacks as Woodley had tackles.....3.

Just another NFL popularity contest that we won. Yahoo!!

Steeler in Carolina
09-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Excellent news.

Hapa
09-11-2008, 07:48 PM
I kinda agree with Jackson. Why wasn't Harrison even in the running?

NJarhead
09-11-2008, 07:53 PM
I don't understand why anyone would "poo-poo" a Steeler winning Player of the Week honors. That just doesn't make any sense.

srk173
09-11-2008, 09:27 PM
Maybe because Woodley had a pick and also a fumble recovery to go along with the sacks and tackles. Secondly, it was his FIRST EVER START. Finally he was blowing up the Texans offense when he wasn't making sacks and picking off passes. Harrison had a typical game for his career and that is why he did not get nominated. Quit hating on a guy who had an amazing play in his first year as a starting OLB for the steelers who should be amazing for years to come. Maybe you can boo him next game cause he won and ruin his confidence like the Titans are doing with Vince.

GBMelBlount
09-11-2008, 09:48 PM
What a great start to what is hopefully a breakout year for Woodley....the guy is just a beast.

WWIIOwheelz
09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
While I think it's awesome that The Wood won, I agree with those who wonder how Harrison wasn't nominated. James clearly had a better game, and I'll bet the first person to say just that would be Lamar.

That doesn't matter, though. With those 2 coming at both sides of a quarterback, how can any QB in their right mind not have Happy Feet in the pocket? This just makes me giddy about Steelers football this year! I like watching them on defense as much as when they have the ball.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-11-2008, 11:05 PM
I don't understand why anyone would "poo-poo" a Steeler winning Player of the Week honors. That just doesn't make any sense.

I said sorry before my post. :banging:

IMO, this award is like being voted the class president in 4th grade. Not at all based on merit, just popularity.

Harrison, 8 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 0 INT, 1 Forced fumble
Woodley , 3 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 INT

Honestly, ask yourself how the 2nd best defensive performance on the team is somehow the best defensive player in the NFL. :noidea:

Welcome To Smashmouth
09-12-2008, 03:06 AM
Thats great. Seeing him perform like that on WEEK ONE of starting for us at OLB is just sensational news. Keep up the good work, wood!!!

Galax Steeler
09-12-2008, 04:35 AM
Great job woodley hope you have plenty more.

ricksteelers55
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
I said sorry before my post. :banging:

IMO, this award is like being voted the class president in 4th grade. Not at all based on merit, just popularity.

Harrison, 8 Tackles, 3 Sacks, 0 INT, 1 Forced fumble
Woodley , 3 Tackles, 1 Sack, 1 INT

Honestly, ask yourself how the 2nd best defensive performance on the team is somehow the best defensive player in the NFL. :noidea:

In fact Woody also has a Fumble Recovery which means he took the ball over twice.

Yeah 8 tackles , 3 sacks and a FF is awesome but i think that on a defensive drive if you get 3 sacks,8 tackles and a FF but if you dont recover the fumble they still could score...

Woody picked a ball,sacked the QB and recovered a fumble which means he was bringing the O back on the field and prevent the opp to score twice

I understand all of your points but hey let's not make this thing a big deal they still have 15 weeks to split DPOTW so let's say Silverback this week against the Brownies,Woodley the next one...

.24lockdown
09-12-2008, 05:08 AM
Maybe because Woodley had a pick and also a fumble recovery to go along with the sacks and tackles. Secondly, it was his FIRST EVER START. Finally he was blowing up the Texans offense when he wasn't making sacks and picking off passes. Harrison had a typical game for his career and that is why he did not get nominated. Quit hating on a guy who had an amazing play in his first year as a starting OLB for the steelers who should be amazing for years to come. Maybe you can boo him next game cause he won and ruin his confidence like the Titans are doing with Vince.

LOL. man u need to calm down. i completely agree with jackson, even tho i loved the performance of his first career start. HE IS NOT HATING OR BOOING LAMAR WOODLEY

stillers4me
09-12-2008, 06:35 AM
I guess I'd rather see people arguing about this than why we got our asses handed to us. :sofunny:

Rick97
09-12-2008, 08:56 AM
Jackson is completely right. Woodley had a great game, but Harrison played at a slightly higher level, forcing the fumble Woodley recovered.

As for Harrison playing a normal game by his standards, that should have nothing to do with it. If that were the case, the NFL might as well stop sending Peyton Manning to the Pro Bowl then, because being one of the top QBs in the league is merely "normal" by his standards.

Either way, nobody is hating on anybody.

Hopefully we can have another debate next week about which of the two outside linebackers for the Steelers deserves Defensive Player of the Week honors in week 2.

fansince'76
09-12-2008, 09:25 AM
I guess I'd rather see people arguing about this than why we got our asses handed to us. :sofunny:

Yep.

SteelMember
09-12-2008, 09:25 AM

I'll vote for that....where's the :link: ? :laughing:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2008, 11:03 AM
Fellas, I am a big Michigan fan and Woodley fan. Good for him for winning some meaningless award that I am sure he cares very little about.

I just think its funny that we like to beat our chests about what a "beast" he is, when really it looks like a lot of Steeler fans logged onto NFL.com to vote for Woodley. If sportswriters voted him as the D player of the week, OK, but if its just fan balloting then its just a peoples choice award.

Now, onto the Browns for this guy.

Rotorhead
09-12-2008, 11:14 AM
If I am glad he won for sure, and it is a toss up to say either him or Silverback had a better performance IMHO. But is sports writers voted him in, I would be less inclined to praise the accomplishment (they all pretty much suck). The fact is, he was chosen for the voting and Harrison was not, but both put on excellent performances.

Steely McSmash
09-12-2008, 12:48 PM
Secondly, it was his FIRST EVER START.

Didn't he start in the last Jags game last year?

Steelman16
09-12-2008, 12:58 PM
Congratz to Wood!!

He and Harrison are gonna have fun this year methinks.

Dino 6 Rings
09-12-2008, 01:00 PM
Clap...Clap...Clap...Clap

But What Have You Done For Me Lately?

One week does not satisfy me. Go out there this week and hit the Browns so hard their grandchildren are born with black-eyes.

Get me 3 more sacks, 2 more fumbles and a Cherry on top with a Defensive Touchdown.

The_WARDen
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Fellas, I am a big Michigan fan and Woodley fan. Good for him for winning some meaningless award that I am sure he cares very little about.

I just think its funny that we like to beat our chests about what a "beast" he is, when really it looks like a lot of Steeler fans logged onto NFL.com to vote for Woodley. If sportswriters voted him as the D player of the week, OK, but if its just fan balloting then its just a peoples choice award.

Now, onto the Browns for this guy.

careful, you may be labelled a hater...

:coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2008, 05:37 PM
careful, you may be labelled a hater...

:coffee:

Its OK, I'm already on record as being a Carey Davis "hater". I'm hopin' Sean McHugh can show him how to block.

MDSteel15
09-12-2008, 11:39 PM
Maybe Woodley was nominated because he was blowing up the O-line so much that he ws being double teamed so Farrior and Harrison's old asses could get those sacks! :thumbsup:

Havik
09-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Here are some Lamarr Woodley facts.

Fact: Woodley fell to the Steelers in the 2nd round because of a bad combine. He's about to make all those teams who passed on him in the first round very sorry. Fact: the Bungles were planning on drafting him in the 2nd round, however the Steelers were three picks ahead and got to him first. Fact: Woodley was ranked the best college defensive lineman his senior year, until he had a sucky combine. I'd have to say we got lucky.

steelpride12
09-14-2008, 07:09 PM
Keep the sacks rolling baby!

lilyoder6
09-14-2008, 08:05 PM
a lot of those "Experts" said that woodly was too small to play de in the nfl.. idc tho i'm happy he's w/ us and making some plays