PDA

View Full Version : Townsend Inactive for Week 2

STEELtownHAVOX
09-12-2008, 01:28 PM
I want to see B-Mac lay out a few clowns.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08256/911718-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml

jjpro11
09-12-2008, 01:38 PM
that does suck.. but they are without stallworth, so no excuses. mcfadden has a better chance of making the big play than townsend does.. but he is also more likely to give up a big play than townsend. we will see what happens.

Edman
09-12-2008, 01:41 PM
The Browns are thin at WR, so there is no excuse for BMac to suck.

An opportunity for this guy to earn his contract.

revefsreleets
09-12-2008, 01:58 PM
Ike on Braylon, and they have no other true WR threats, so we're good. Cribbs will play some WR, and he can be dangerous out in space, but he needs to get open first.

NJarhead
09-12-2008, 02:10 PM
Ike on Braylon, and they have no other true WR threats, so we're good. Cribbs will play some WR, and he can be dangerous out in space, but he needs to get open first.

I think he can be covered, it's tackling him that's the issue. :wink02:

The Duke
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
I'd be scared if the browns had a true threat right now as WR #2

It's Gay time at nickle corner :tt:

rich4eagle
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
This is a reunion like in 1959 when the Browns would always whip the Steelers arse and then stuff would happen

Big game for the Browns it is all on the line

SteelMember
09-12-2008, 03:00 PM
Well, here's B-Macs chance to show he's the man. I hope he plays physical and gets some good shots in to knock these guys off their routes. I'd love to see it. His press style is why we got him in the first place. Isn't it?:popcorn:

Go Steelers.

btw, how'd Deshea hurt his heel? New shoes too tight? Someone give him a flat tire.

Galax Steeler
09-12-2008, 03:08 PM
B-Mac and Gay they should be able to cover the clowns I don't see a problem.

CanadianSteel
09-12-2008, 03:51 PM
Does this mean A. Smith will get to dress for this game ? Or will another corner be suited up in McFadden's place.....

rbryan
09-12-2008, 04:22 PM
I'm hoping A Smith's time in the doghouse is over. I think you have to mix him in for at least 10-15 plays and make his primary responsibility the run/blitz. Too much talent to sit him out. If he does something stupid sit him two weeks next time.

lilyoder6
09-12-2008, 04:32 PM
i think b-mac will have a good game.. even tho he's listed as a #3 cb he's like a number 2.. he should shut down who ever the browns picked up from the street.. lol...

but like ryan saided above i would like to see smith in and blitzing and making some hits

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2008, 04:45 PM
So #3 on the depth chart is William Gay, correct? Then Madison.

I hope nobody else gets hurt or Timmons is gonna have to play cb.

rbryan
09-12-2008, 04:52 PM
IMO we're so stacked at LB right now that it's time for Lebeau to unveil the revolutionary 2/6 defense.

Thats right..... 2DL....6LB's.....3DB's......lol

Havik
09-12-2008, 11:54 PM
This is McFadden's chance to prove he can be a starter. I hope he can because he is very athletic and can make big plays. Townsend's best days are behind him, and he will probably retire.

MJ5150
09-13-2008, 02:14 AM
Wow, bummer. I really like DeShea. He isn't the fastest guy on the field, or the highest jumper, but he sure does bring stability and leadership to our secondary.

-Mike

DACEB
09-13-2008, 08:21 AM
Wow, bummer. I really like DeShea. He isn't the fastest guy on the field, or the highest jumper, but he sure does bring stability and leadership to our secondary.

He played a role in Woodleys int. last week. He specifically told Wood to stay underneath the receiver. Hopefully B-Mac steps right up!

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-13-2008, 08:49 AM
Steelers' McFadden likely to start in place of Townsend
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, September 13, 2008

Cornerback Bryant McFadden's last start with the Steelers occurred in the final game of 2006. It culminated the end of a run of seven consecutive starts that figured to result in more significant playing time for McFadden in 2007.

Things didn't go as planned for McFadden, who is expected back in the starting lineup for Sunday night's road game against the Cleveland Browns -- 17 regular-season games following his last start.

McFadden will likely replace veteran Deshea Townsend, who didn't practice Wednesday and Thursday and was limited at Friday's practice because of a heel contusion he suffered against Houston.

"It's been tough. We're all competitive individuals," said McFadden, a second-round draft pick in 2005 who missed three games last season because of a high ankle sprain. "Last year was kind of tough for me being hurt. I started a couple of years back and did some positive things but wasn't able to get in that lineup last year. Now, it's a year later. I really can't worry about what's going on with the decision-makers. I get paid to play good football."

McFadden said coach Mike Tomlin hasn't told him he will start. Townsend said yesterday that he wants to play against the Browns but realizes that missing first-team reps in practice all week didn't help his cause.

"It's on coach. It's getting better day-to-day. Most of the time, if you don't practice on Friday, you don't play," said Townsend, who injured his heel in the first quarter of the opener but continued to play. "If it was up to me, I feel like I could go out there."

McFadden said he's prepared for whatever the coaching staff decides.

"I guess it will be a gametime decision," McFadden said. "This week, I've been working pretty much with the first group. I've got to go about it like I am (starting). The more repetitions you get, the more comfortable you get out there, the more opportunities you get to do positive things.

"I'll be ready. If I'm not (starting), I've still got to be ready."

If McFadden gets the nod, it will be his first start under Tomlin. When asked if he viewed it as an opportunity to make an impression on his coach, McFadden replied, "That's been my goal since he's been here. Not only on Sundays but just being consistent in practice. When the opportunity comes, you've got to really take it and go with it."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_587982.html

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-13-2008, 09:02 AM
Steelers Notebook: McFadden is likely to start vs. Browns
Saturday, September 13, 2008
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Cleveland Browns aren't the only team with some issues in the secondary.

Cornerback Deshea Townsend (heel contusion) did not practice for the third day in a row and is not expected to play tomorrow night in Cleveland, forcing Bryant McFadden to start for the first time since the final game of the 2006 season.

Townsend has been listed as doubtful on the team's official injury report, meaning there is a 75 percent chance he won't play.

"I went out there and tried it and I didn't like it," Townsend said. "It's been getting better, but we have guys who are ready to play."

Also, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger went through a full workout for the first time this week and is listed as probable. Roethlisberger has a sore right shoulder that has limited his throwing.

The injury to Townsend, an 11-year veteran, also means cornerback William Gay will be the nickel back against the Browns, lining in the slot on third-down situations and, at times, covering wide receiver Braylon Edwards or tight end Kellen Winslow Jr. Townsend is usually in the slot in the nickel and dime defensive packages.

Townsend bruised his heel in the first quarter against the Houston Texans and continued to play, even though he said the injury got worse as the game went on. He was moved from right cornerback to left cornerback this season because the position requires a better understanding of combination routes.

That shouldn't be a problem for McFadden, who has started 10 times in his previous three seasons, including the final seven games of the 2006 season.

"I've been playing both sides since I've been here," McFadden said. "It's no different."

Browns' receivers hurting
The Browns are having some problems at wide receiver, too, not just their secondary.

Donte Stallworth, acquired in free agency from the New England Patriots, might miss his second game in a row after injuring his groin in pre-game warmups against the Dallas Cowboys. He has not practiced all week.

Joe Jurevicius, who had 50 catches for 614 yards last season, is on the physically unable to perform list and can't play until at least Week 7.

On top of that, Edwards, their top receiver, dropped four passes against the Cowboys.

If Stallworth can't play, that means the Browns might have to use kick returner Joshua Cribbs as their second or third receiver. Cribbs is expected to return after missing the past three games with a high-ankle sprain.

Strong pass protection
Browns quarterback Derek Anderson passed for a touchdown, was sacked only once and did not throw an interception against the Cowboys, numbers that would appear to indicate an efficient performance.

But he passed for only 114 yards and produced just 11 first downs in a 28-10 defeat.

The Browns were so concerned about protecting Anderson they often used six and seven players to block on pass plays. The Cowboys did not get a sack until the fourth quarter, but they still generated a lot of pressure on Anderson.

"They do a lot of max protecting, so I'm sure well get a lot of that," said defensive end Brett Keisel.

"Unless they get him flush, with three wide receivers, we have seen a lot of max protection."
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08257/911922-66.stm