PDA

View Full Version : Offensive line looking good so far

RodWoodson26
09-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Before the season i had a lot of concerns with the loss of Faneca and i thought one of the keys to our season and being a elite team was the play of the offensive line. So far so good. I thought the line protected Ben very well and opened up holes for Willie. Its still early and that was the Texans but im impressed so far.

scsteeler
09-12-2008, 02:46 PM
I think the offensive line will get better and better each week. I was more worried about the defensive line play more than anything at the beginning of the season but it looks both may be fine but Hey it is just one game.:tt:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Most of the problems last year were because of injury, inexperience and being weak up the middle.

I was optimistic that while not being an all-pro, Kemo would make us forget Faneca fairly quick.

I am a Willie Colon fan, but still wonder if he can handle a speed rush without the help of a TE giving him a hand. Its a work in progress, but not nearly as bad as most thought the line would be.

RodWoodson26
09-12-2008, 04:57 PM
I think the offensive line will get better and better each week. I was more worried about the defensive line play more than anything at the beginning of the season but it looks both may be fine but Hey it is just one game.:tt:

Good point and i agree. With the defensive line id like them to be able to put pressure on the QB without having to blitz so much and leave the secondary exposed in 1 on 1 coverage. It's ok to blitz sometimes but you dont want to rely on that soley just to get pressure on the QB.

43Hitman
09-12-2008, 05:01 PM
Before the season i had a lot of concerns with the loss of Faneca and i thought one of the keys to our season and being a elite team was the play of the offensive line. So far so good. I thought the line protected Ben very well and opened up holes for Willie. Its still early and that was the Texans but im impressed so far.

The only thing that worries me about the o-line is the five step drops. Those situations where the only time the Texans even got close to Rotty. So if the line can hold their blocks a few seconds longer this offense will be hard to stop. Very hard.

Rotorhead
09-12-2008, 05:57 PM
Well it is only one game so far, they did a fine job gameplanning for the Texan rush and it worked well. As long as the Oline improve each week I will be happy. As far as the Dline, it is the design of the Def to blitz alot, confuse. The line is supposed to hold cover their lanes more so than pressure the QB.

cubanstogie
09-12-2008, 06:02 PM
ever since Mahan left our line has been great. Coincidence?????

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-12-2008, 06:14 PM

Ever since Marvel Smith got healthy our line has been great. Similar coincidence???

Galax Steeler
09-13-2008, 04:23 AM

That has only been one game but I hope the line gets better with each game we play.

steelpride12
09-14-2008, 06:08 PM
I saw much improvement with pros and cons. Cons is its only week 1 and the only good player from the Texans was Williams. Pros is Marvel Smith did excellent and got one of my game balls i see much improvment, but Colons side is still weak.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2008, 11:11 PM
2nd game looked good as well.

Kemo is explosive when blocking. Hope he stays healthy, because when you play like that you hurt other people and yourself.

Hartwig looked solid, as did Smith and Simmons.

Colon did well too and a couple times I just saw Spaeth dominate an OLB.

Good performance vs the Browns, but still room to improve.

Steelman16
09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
We still have to get our sacks-allowed count down. 3 sacks allowed against the Browns isn't very good.

Overall, the unit is much better, but if we got that one stat down just a bit, Ben could carve up any secondary in this league IMO.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
We still have to get our sacks-allowed count down. 3 sacks allowed against the Browns isn't very good.

Overall, the unit is much better, but if we got that one stat down just a bit, Ben could carve up any secondary in this league IMO.

I honestly couldnt care about "statistics". Watching the game, the sacks came on blitzes and the 5 guys on the O-line are not gonna be able to hold off 5 and 6 rushers for long.

Ben has to make a hot read and get rid of the ball, or audible when they show blitz. He's a big strong guy that likes to stand in there and try to make things happen, so its gonna happen.

Cutting down on the sacks/game statistics, to me, is somewhat like saying Willie Parker needs to not get tackled for loss and breaking off 20+ yard runs, but rather run more consistently 4.7 yards each time. They don't ask how you win......they ask you how many did you win. So far, its 2.