PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Possibilities

Atlanta Dan
11-27-2005, 06:03 PM
Assuming the Steelers do not pull the upset tomorrow night, the importance of the Bengals game next week cannot be overemphasized.

Assuming a loss to the Colts and victory over Bengals, Steelers would be 8-4 and win the tiebreaker over Cincy. Lose to the Colts and Bengals and the division title is gone.

In addition, lose the next two and Steelers would have 5 losses. With both KC and Chargers winning today, those 2 teams have 4 losses each.

Remaining KC games
Broncos
at Cowboys
at Giants
Chargers
Bengals

Remaining Chargers games

Raiders
Dolphins
at Colts
at Chiefs
Broncos

I do not believe 10-6 gets a wildcard this year in the AFC. The Chiefs schedule is brutal but it is not unrealistic to see the Chargers finishing 4-1 (especially if the Broncos have the #2 seed locked up by the last game of the season). If the Steelers lose the next 2 they probably need to win out after that. With Chicago at home, Minnesota on the road, and Cleveland on the road, that is certainly no sure thing.

After watching parts of the Ravens-Bengals today, last week's loss is only more discouraging, as were the Chargers and Broncos OT wins this week.

Ambridge
11-27-2005, 06:15 PM
After watching parts of the Ravens-Bengals today, last week's loss is only more discouraging, as were the Chargers and Broncos OT wins this week.

As I sat there and watched some of the Rats/Bungles game today I was starting to get pissed off all over again about the loss last week.

That loss to the Rats could really come back to bite the Steelers in the ass.

F'n Cowher and Maddox!!:mad:

stand undefeated
11-27-2005, 07:40 PM
Wow, just can't believe KC's remaining schedule... f'in rough.

Rotorhead
11-28-2005, 02:52 AM
I think that the Bungles game is the most important game we have left this season. We lose that game and it will be luck that gets us into the playoffs. I can see KC losing to the Broncos (KC is banged up a bit right now) and Chargers and possibly the Bungles if they are in a fight for a wildcard. The Chargers Last 3 games are pretty tuff (unless the Broncos have the 2nd seed locked up) but will get a tuff game from the Broncos if we beat the Colts and the Chargers beat the Colts. There are so many ifs right now though, it is a good year for the NFL. Next week there are 4 decisive div games being played, Broncos/Chiefs, Steelers/Bungles, Cowboys/Giants, Falcons/Panthers that will go a long way in determining playoff seedings. Going to be a good couple weeks in football!

Atlanta Dan
11-28-2005, 08:56 PM
Of course the new variable is whether the Jags, to whom I had conceded a wild card spot due to their remaining schedule, will collapse with Leftwich probably gone for at least the regular season; nobody on this board needs to be reminded of what can happen when you lose your starting QB.

All three writers on the ESPN Page Two site today have the Steelers as a wild card, which presumably means they have the Steelers losing their next 2. Interestingly enough, none of the three writers has the Jags as the other wildcard - I do not believe it is because they think the Jags will catch the Colts.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=nfl/week12/grid

tony hipchest
11-28-2005, 09:03 PM
the jags are not worried. there were several inquiries into gerrard in the offseason. the jags said it would take a #1 draft pick for them to give him up. he is now signed for an extra 3 years. he is more mobile than leftwhich. they probably wont miss a beat and continue playing like how the bears are playing. what is ironic is that the jags could probably win their remaining schedule with maddox at qb.

Atlanta Dan
11-28-2005, 09:09 PM
the jags are not worried. there were several inquiries into gerrard in the offseason. the jags said it would take a #1 draft pick for them to give him up. he is now signed for an extra 3 years. he is more mobile than leftwhich. they probably wont miss a beat and continue playing like how the bears are playing. what is ironic is that the jags could probably win their remaining schedule with maddox at qb.

In their primes, the '85 Bears and Steelers of the '70s could not win with Maddox at QB :)
He has shown he cannot even manage a game anymore and is a negative life force that creates scoring oppportunities for the other team.

clevestinks
11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
We, well Tommy, really put us in a hole. The Jags game was winnable even with him. And the Ratbird game, need i say more.

We want this game tonite! First and foremost!

tony hipchest
11-28-2005, 09:26 PM
In their primes, the '85 Bears and Steelers of the '70s could not win with Maddox at QB :)
He has shown he cannot even manage a game anymore and is a negative life force that creates scoring oppportunities for the other team.
lol. agreed but damn the jags schedule looks awfully easy from here on out. good thing is steelers just have to keep winning to control their destiny.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 07:34 PM
Onto the wildcard possiblities we go. KC(7-4) playing Denver right now. Tied at 24. Chargers(7-4) and Raiders in a few hours.

SteelCityMan786
12-04-2005, 07:39 PM
Well Wild Card Looks Like our Last Option.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2005, 07:49 PM
The burdens of having to earn a living kept me from seeing the game today, in which Ben apparently stepped up while all about him failed.

As far as the playoffs go, the Steelers need to win out and look for help.

If I had to guess I see the Chargers finishing 11-5 and losing only to Indy. Although the Steelers win a tiebreaker head to head with the Chargers, if there is a three way tie among teams for one wildcard slot then head to head will not be definitive. Although Atlanta (my other NFL team that is in free fall) beat the Vikings head to head earlier this year, Atlanta sports talk said the Falcons would not make the playoffs today over the Vikings based on the arcane method used when three teams have the same record. Bottom line is to start rooting against KC, hope Indy goes undefeated, and somehow have the Steelers keep the sinking ship afloat.

Of course it is ridiculous it has come to this - what a disappointing season since Ben got hurt (fittingly) on Halloween.

Prosdo
12-04-2005, 08:22 PM
KC is 8-4 now.

Atlanta Dan
12-04-2005, 08:56 PM
Well, somebody has to lose Chargers-KC, which will be at least 5 losses for one of them.
Chiefs finish with Bengals, who probably will be playing for a bye at that point.

All is not lost. But from here on out every game is a playoff game - the Steelers have lost their margin fo error.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 12:10 AM
Thats pretty much the perverbial nail on the head Dan. A ton of things can happen but if expect to do anything as a wildcard its gotta be win out the last 4 or bust !

Prosdo
12-05-2005, 12:23 AM
San Diego will be 8-4 in a few moments.

BlitzburghRockCity
12-05-2005, 01:29 AM
a stat from ESPN showed us as the 8th seed in the playoff picture as it stands right now..

Not good, not good at all..

sweetness34
12-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Actually I think your chances for a wildcard are pretty good. The chiefs and chargers have hard schedules and both could easily finish 1-3. The steelers would have to win 2 to tie(not sure who has the tiebreakers) and 3 to get the 6th seed. I think this week against the bears is your hardest game, but the next 3 should be easy wins.

Steel Fury
12-05-2005, 12:20 PM
Yeah but the Vikings have also won their last 5. I would not consider them easy with Brad Johnson in QB.

sweetness34
12-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Yeah but the Vikings have also won their last 5. I would not consider them easy with Brad Johnson in QB.

The vikings last 6 wins aren't really impressive. They beat the 2-10 packers twice, the 4-8 lions twice, and the 4-8 browns. The only winning team they've beat was the giants, a game they had a punt return for a td, kickoff return for a td, and int return for a td. with out them they lose 21-3. Their 5 losses were all against winning teams. In the 5 games they were outscored 157-47. Even the bears offense scoered 28 on these guys.

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 12:55 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers win out...11-5 is a respectable playoff record, and winning 4 games in a row is probably what's needed to get this teams collective "head on straight". We aren't the Browns, so just getting to the playoffs means nothing. You want a team playing solid football that can do some damage and has a chance to advance. I'd say we just faced the 2 best teams in the NFL, and the level of competition we face in the next 4 weeks is significantly lower.

If we lose to any of the next 4 opponents, I'd rather not even bother with the playoffs. Losing any one of the upcoming games is unacceptable

sweetness34
12-05-2005, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see the Steelers win out...11-5 is a respectable playoff record, and winning 4 games in a row is probably what's needed to get this teams collective "head on straight". We aren't the Browns, so just getting to the playoffs means nothing. You want a team playing solid football that can do some damage and has a chance to advance. I'd say we just faced the 2 best teams in the NFL, and the level of competition we face in the next 4 weeks is significantly lower.

If we lose to any of the next 4 opponents, I'd rather not even bother with the playoffs. Losing any one of the upcoming games is unacceptable

How could losing to a 9-3 team be unacceptable?

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
Because if they played in the AFC they'd be 5-7 now.

sweetness34
12-05-2005, 01:36 PM
Because if they played in the AFC they'd be 5-7 now.

Brillant deduction. That clears up everything:screwy:

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 01:45 PM
I don't have the numbers for this year, but last year the AFC wiped the floor with the NFC, going 44-20.
I don't make predictions, ever, but there is no way the Steelers lose to the Bears.

SalukiSteelers
12-05-2005, 01:50 PM
I live with a Bears fan so this game is extra important for me, playoff implications aside. We got in to it a little, earlier this season, when my buddy made a couple cracks about the Steelers choking in big games.

One thing led to another and the next thing you know I'm calling for a Steelers blowout. Damn, it doesn't look good right now.

Of course, I can't see the Steelers losing four straight games. Plus, somebody has to beat the Bears, right? I mean, at the beginning of the season nobody picked these jokers to do anything.

I really don't want to have to move but if the Bears take down the Steelers, I'm burning everything I own and leaving town. Hopefully I can get my financial aid transfered somewhere else.

sweetness34
12-05-2005, 03:46 PM
I don't have the numbers for this year, but last year the AFC wiped the floor with the NFC, going 44-20.
I don't make predictions, ever, but there is no way the Steelers lose to the Bears.

As of right now the AFC is 24-24 against the NFC.

tony hipchest
12-05-2005, 03:53 PM
i too live with a bears fan, and we happened to name our daughter after our 2 favorite players- payton terry (teresa). its gonna be a rough silent day.

Steel - X
12-05-2005, 04:05 PM
but there is no way the Steelers lose to the Bears.

Pretty confident in that statement. I wouldnt take the Bears for granite. I think the Steelers win but I am not putting money on it. The way we have played the last couple of weeks I wouldnt be suprised to see another L in the column.

Suitanim
12-05-2005, 04:41 PM
As of right now the AFC is 24-24 against the NFC.

Next week at 4:15, it'll be at least 25-24.