PDA

View Full Version : Raiders to fire coach on Monday.

Edman
09-14-2008, 09:23 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3587018

IMO, this is a sure sign that the Raiders are giving up on the season after one week. Oh well, maybe next year, Oakland.

But things will still not change until Al Davis is in a box. Signing overrated bums like Javon Walker, Deangelo Hall, and nobody scrubs like Tommy Kelly to gigantic contracts, and hoping to get by on mediocre talent.

fansince'76
09-14-2008, 09:30 AM
"We don't have a general manager; everything goes through the owner," Kiffin said Wednesday. "That sets up a difficult situation at times. Knowing who the owner is, you know from Day 1 there's no job security."

Why'd he take the job then, particularly when others wouldn't touch it with a 10-foot pole? This isn't exaclty going to add to his résumé - if anything, it's going to hurt his prospects of getting another HC gig. Ah well, one last chance to post this:

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/24/sports/24raiders.1.600.jpg

For some reason, the old Barbra Streisand tune The Way We Were is stuck in my head now. "Memories...."

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

silver & black
09-14-2008, 09:45 AM
We'll see. I don't believe any of the "Kiffin will be fired on"... sh*t anymore. I'll believe it when it happens.

I think Kiff can be a good coach, but he has some serious growing up to do. We all know who runs the show in Oakland. Surely Kiff talked with his dad and Gruden before taking the job.... it isn't like he didn't know, or wasn't warned about how it would be.

If he's fired, so be it. Open the phone book and throw a dart................ on to the Superbowl...LOL.

rbryan
09-14-2008, 09:54 AM
Kiffin will get a college gig somewhere for a few years and resurface in the NFL down the road. I can't fault him for taking the Raider job, wasn't he like 23-24 when Al hired him?? How many guys that young are going to turn down an opportunity like that ,even if it was inevitable that this would happen.

silver & black
09-14-2008, 10:28 AM
Kiffin will get a college gig somewhere for a few years and resurface in the NFL down the road. I can't fault him for taking the Raider job, wasn't he like 23-24 when Al hired him?? How many guys that young are going to turn down an opportunity like that ,even if it was inevitable that this would happen.

He was 31.

MACH1
09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
I don't know. The way kiff threw his d-cord under the bus. Seems like he's got some growing up to do.

fansince'76
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM

I'm not faulting him for taking the job. I am faulting him for whining in the press about a lack of job security in an occupation (NFL head coach) which has next to no job security in the best of circumstances to begin with, and even less in the case of working for Al Davis. There's a reason a slew of other guys passed on the job when it was offered to them before Kiffin finally accepted it as around the 15th choice or so. If he's so concerned about job security, he should either get a Civil Service job or STFU.

Tankus_Maximus
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
damn....I feel bad for Kifin. I really thought he was making progress with the Raiders. This rumor just further cements the feeling that Emperor Palpatine (Al Davis) needs to let go of the reigns. I know it won't happen until he passes on, but this is just waaaaay to knee-jerk of a reaction to sh !t can a young coach, so early into the season.

Hines0wnz
09-14-2008, 05:10 PM
Al Davis is an embarrassment to the league and to Raiders fans. He taints his legacy with every passing day. Its a wonder how they still fill the seats at their home games.

Steelman16
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
And the Raiders beat KC....still gonna fire Kiffen, Mr. Davis?

lilyoder6
09-14-2008, 06:58 PM
i was wondering how u could coach if u knew u were gonna be fired the next day.., but this win might just of kept him there an extra week

silver & black
09-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Al Davis is an embarrassment to the league and to Raiders fans. He taints his legacy with every passing day. Its a wonder how they still fill the seats at their home games.

An embarrassment? ....... He's a Legend. I won't even bother going any further with this.... because I like it here. Maybe one of the older members on here will give you a history lesson.

silver & black
09-14-2008, 07:02 PM
And the Raiders beat KC....still gonna fire Kiffen, Mr. Davis?

That remains to be seen.... IF you believe what you read. Kiffin was supposedly going to be fired months ago. Maybe... maybe not.

Galax Steeler
09-14-2008, 07:07 PM
I don't think he will be fired they will see where he is at in a few games if it don't get better then maybe he will be let go.

Hines0wnz
09-14-2008, 07:08 PM
An embarrassment? ....... He's a Legend. I won't even bother going any further with this.... because I like it here. Maybe one of the older members on here will give you a history lesson.

Uh yeah, I'm not youngin and well aware of Raider history. One of my best friends is a lifelong Raider fan and even he says Davis is killing the development of the team. My point isnt that Davis isnt great because he has done some great things for the team and the league but his time has come to go.

HometownGal
09-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Don't think Kiffen is going to be fired after the ass kickin' they put on the Chiefs today.

Hines0wnz
09-14-2008, 07:11 PM
Don't think Kiffen is going to be fired after the ass kickin' they put on the Chiefs today.

You never know with the Raiders! :laughing::chuckle::sofunny:

silver & black
09-14-2008, 07:22 PM
Uh yeah, I'm not youngin and well aware of Raider history. One of my best friends is a lifelong Raider fan and even he says Davis is killing the development of the team. My point isnt that Davis isnt great because he has done some great things for the team and the league but his time has come to go.

I never said you were young, but you came across as such in your post.

I won't disagree with what you say in this post, but Mr. Davis is not an embarrassment. And trust me... I'm as far from an Al Davis apologist as you can get.

I've been a fan of the Raiders for 41 years... I know what greatness looks like. Unfortunately, Mr. Davis is old, and he is trying desperately to hold on to his life's work. It is hard to watch what is happening to him and the Raiders right now. But, the man deserves a little respect for all that he has accomplished in his life... with the Raiders and the NFL.

When Al passes on, it will be a tremendous loss, not only to the Raiders, but to the NFL as a whole... just like Mr. Rooney's passing was.

HometownGal
09-14-2008, 07:46 PM

I won't disagree with what you say in this post, but Mr. Davis is not an embarrassment. And trust me... I'm as far from an Al Davis apologist as you can get.

I've been a fan of the Raiders for 41 years... I know what greatness looks like. Unfortunately, Mr. Davis is old, and he is trying desperately to hold on to his life's work. It is hard to watch what is happening to him and the Raiders right now. But, the man deserves a little respect for all that he has accomplished in his life... with the Raiders and the NFL.

When Al passes on, it will be a tremendous loss, not only to the Raiders, but to the NFL as a whole... just like Mr. Rooney's passing was.

What a great post s&b. :thumbsup: I am no fan of the Raiders or Weird Al, but he will go down in history as an NFL icon just as The Chief did.

Michael Keller
09-14-2008, 10:39 PM
Al Davis is beyond description. Generally i would not approve of Kiffin's comments but I admire him. Kiffin , if he is a good coach will do just fine. Look At Mike Shanahan and John Gruden . They were head coaches for the Raiders. I hope Al Davis lives forever that means we will never have to take the Raiders seriouslly anymore.

stlrtruck
09-15-2008, 07:52 AM

I wouldn't say he's an embarrassment, but he has become a joke in the league.

As for his legend status, the only thing holding that together is the 60's, 70's, and early 80's. If he's not careful that's going to start coming unglued with all of his recent 'transactions'.

steelreserve
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM

You make a good point ... but Davis had a choice, and he did bring a lot of this ridicule on himself.

There are two ways to handle it when the game passes you by. One is to fight tooth and nail to hang on to your old reputation, even though each successive failure makes you look more like a shell of your former self -- a comic, almost cartoonish figure along the lines of Don Quixote.

The other way to handle it is to quit while you're ahead.

silver & black
09-15-2008, 03:00 PM
You make a good point ... but Davis had a choice, and he did bring a lot of this ridicule on himself.

There are two ways to handle it when the game passes you by. One is to fight tooth and nail to hang on to your old reputation, even though each successive failure makes you look more like a shell of your former self -- a comic, almost cartoonish figure along the lines of Don Quixote.

The other way to handle it is to quit while you're ahead.

I agree with you. I'm not saying that the current problems in Oakland are not Al Davis' fault. When you are the top guy in any organization or company, and things are going poorly, you are the one that has to shoulder the lion's share of the blame. Things have not been the same since Ron Wolf left. Al can't bring himself to trust anyone the way he trusted Wolf. So, consequently, we have a 79 year old guy that wears every hat in the organization. As everyone can clearly see... except for Mr. Davis, it is a recipe for failure.

The Raiders desperately need a real GM. Al drafts for sh*t 95% of the time. He can't get past the "speed kills" BS. He drafts athletes instead of football players. He hates the WCO or any variation of it, so, we always have a gunslinger for a QB instead of a leader for a QB. Gannon should have sent a message on that front... but apparently Al doesn't care... he still thinks he can win with the verticle game. And he's right... except the Raiders don't have the personel to run the verticle offense. If you can't protect your QB for 7 step drops, you aren't going to be even marginally successful with it.

Al believes that you build a defense from the secondary up, instead of from the front back. This is why the Raiders can't stop the run... for 15 years now! Al hates to blitz... hates it... doesn't believe in it. This why other teams can throw on us at will.

I could go on, but it isn't worth it. Trust me when I say that no one understands the problems in Oakland more than us Raider fans... we have to live, and die by them every year.

None of this changes the fact that Al Davis is a legend in the NFL. If it wasn't for Al Davis, this league would not be what it is today. I'm not implying that Mr Rooney didn't have a big part in it either... that would be foolish. Art Modell also was a very influential figure in this league... love him or hate him. All I'm saying is that, when talking about Al Davis, lets not ignore what he hasn contributed to the game and the league. He isn't in the HOF because is a bafoon.

Hines0wnz
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM
If I were a Raider fan and Kiffin gets let go I would be asking for Davis' head. Today's game their D showed up until the end (Rob Ryan's fault there) and the O showed up a bit too. When you lose games like the Raiders did today that means you are on the edge of being a good team. We'll see in the next few weeks if they have "turned that corner."

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 08:49 PM
If I were a Raider fan and Kiffin gets let go I would be asking for Davis' head. Today's game their D showed up until the end (Rob Ryan's fault there) and the O showed up a bit too. When you lose games like the Raiders did today that means you are on the edge of being a good team. We'll see in the next few weeks if they have "turned that corner."fire the OWNER ??? :huh: what a concept

mostincredible_1043
09-21-2008, 08:50 PM
*laughs*

silver & black
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
If I were a Raider fan and Kiffin gets let go I would be asking for Davis' head. Today's game their D showed up until the end (Rob Ryan's fault there) and the O showed up a bit too. When you lose games like the Raiders did today that means you are on the edge of being a good team. We'll see in the next few weeks if they have "turned that corner."

The Raiders are a long way off from being a good team. There won't be any turning of the corner this year. Kiffin's play calling is suspect. Ryan loves to play "prevent victory" defense whenever they have a lead in the 4th. We have no WR's that can get separation in order to have even a rudimentary passing game, let alone an O line that can pass protect. Half of our team is made up of players that would only be 2nd stringers on any other team.

Kiffin will probably be gone come the bye week. Rob Ryan will be the HC, and then we can start the whole damn charade over again next year.

Most of us Raider fans know that it will never get better untill Al realises that he needs to step down and hire a GM to run this team... or he passes on. We also know which one of those it will be. Nothing to do except ride it out... I think it will be a while before the Raiders are back. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
The Raiders are a long way off from being a good team. There won't be any turning of the corner this year. Kiffin's play calling is suspect. Ryan loves to play "prevent victory" defense whenever they have a lead in the 4th. We have no WR's that can get separation in order to have even a rudimentary passing game, let alone an O line that can pass protect. Half of our team is made up of players that would only be 2nd stringers on any other team.

Kiffin will probably be gone come the bye week. Rob Ryan will be the HC, and then we can start the whole damn charade over again next year.

Most of us Raider fans know that it will never get better untill Al realises that he needs to step down and hire a GM to run this team... or he passes on. We also know which one of those it will be. Nothing to do except ride it out... I think it will be a while before the Raiders are back. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't think so.

I think Kiffin is being scape goated. It seems like Ryan and Davis cut his legs out from underneath him.

klick81
09-21-2008, 11:47 PM

Man...that's a horrible realization for any fan to come to.

silver & black
09-22-2008, 12:51 AM
I think Kiffin is being scape goated. It seems like Ryan and Davis cut his legs out from underneath him.

Yep. Al and his yes man Ryan are definitely cutting the legs out from under Kiffin. But, Kiffin isn't faultless in all of this.

Kiffin started the ball rolling when he went job hunting a few weeks into the season last year. You don't do that kind of thing to Al Davis and expect things to be roses at the end of the day.

You also don't run your mouth to the media because you aren't happy with your boss... especially when your boss is Al Davis... a man that prizes loyalty above all else.

Elvis
09-22-2008, 03:33 PM
Hello there S & B my good friend, I just hate to say it, but Al Davis just needs to let that team go to someone that can relate with the coaches and players of today.. I dont really think Kiffin is the man there after letting some player more less just run over him showed that he is not the man that he needs to be.
But until Davis gets out of that position he is in, he or the Raiders will Never have a Top Notch Coach... maybe we can make a trade with the Raiders and send head coach Tomlin and our offensiveline coach to the Raiders for ... maybe ,,, ah 7th rounder in this upcoming april's draft... What ya think?

:blah:

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 03:38 PM
Hello there S & B my good friend, I just hate to say it, but Al Davis just needs to let that team go to someone that can relate with the coaches and players of today.. I dont really think Kiffin is the man there after letting some player more less just run over him showed that he is not the man that he needs to be.
But until Davis gets out of that position he is in, he or the Raiders will Never have a Top Notch Coach... maybe we can make a trade with the Raiders and send head coach Tomlin and our offensiveline coach to the Raiders for ... maybe ,,, ah 7th rounder in this upcoming april's draft... What ya think?

I hope what is bolded was sarcasm.

silver & black
09-22-2008, 05:06 PM

As much as I would like that, I don't see Tomlin being able to work with old Al. :sofunny:

As for the rest of your post, I agree.

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Whats this the 5th coach fired in 5 or 6 years...no surprise there.

silver & black
09-24-2008, 01:20 PM
Whats this the 5th coach fired in 5 or 6 years...no surprise there.

When it happens, it will be #5. I wonder why we suck?:banging:

revefsreleets
09-24-2008, 01:25 PM
The fact that Davis is keeping around a "Dead Man Walking" is the only proof I'll ever need that the old man has finally completely flipped his lid.

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2008, 01:27 PM
hey S & B, matt millens available now !!! him and Al have about the same draft philosophy......i see a love connection !!! :toofunny:

silver & black
09-24-2008, 02:41 PM
hey S & B, matt millens available now !!! him and Al have about the same draft philosophy......i see a love connection !!! :toofunny:

Believe it or not, there are fans over on my forum that are all for it. How bad does someone have to be before you stop thinking with your heart? :banging:

For the record: I want no part of Matt Millen in the Raiders organization. Hell... these days, I want no part of most anyone in the organization.

MasterOfPuppets
09-24-2008, 03:02 PM
Believe it or not, there are fans over on my forum that are all for it. How bad does someone have to be before you stop thinking with your heart? :banging:

For the record: I want no part of Matt Millen in the Raiders organization. Hell... these days, I want no part of most anyone in the organization.wow !!! i can't believe ANYONE, would suggest millen ,would be a good thing for an organization. his resume speaks for itself. things are far worse in the raider nation than i thought.....there goes the last fibre of hatred i had for the raiders....now its pure pity...sorry dude..:shake02:

ps - feel free to post this over on your board....maybe it'll help with the mind set over there......again...you have my sympathy

silver & black
09-24-2008, 03:12 PM
wow !!! i can't believe ANYONE, would suggest millen ,would be a good thing for an organization. his resume speaks for itself. things are far worse in the raider nation than i thought.....there goes the last fibre of hatred i had for the raiders....now its pure pity...sorry dude..:shake02:

ps - feel free to post this over on your board....maybe it'll help with the mind set over there......again...you have my sympathy

It sucks. Raider Nation is grasping at straws right now. I couldn't believe what I was reading. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. I really don't think there is any chance that Millen ends up with the Raiders. What position would he fill?... Al hold them all. :sofunny:

Edman
09-30-2008, 11:59 AM
I think it's a good idea to bump this thread.

Lane Kiffin is finished in Oakland. Just reported on ESPN.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 12:13 PM
The old crazy man probably just forgot he was supposed to do it last week.

fansince'76
09-30-2008, 12:24 PM
Lane Kiffin is finished in Oakland. Just reported on ESPN.

http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2007/01/24/sports/24raiders.1.600.jpg

Once again, cue the music!

GNEcQS4tXgQ

:toofunny: :toofunny: :toofunny:

tony hipchest
09-30-2008, 04:38 PM
wow. al davis is reading a warning letter to kiffin which totally rips him at todays presser.

"conduct detrimental to the team". hes trying to get out of paying the rest of the contract.

he tells him to "get over it" in regards to drafting jamarcus (who lane didnt want).

:jawdrop: now al is calling out monte kiffen for tampering and calling about a job even though he is under contract w/ the bucs.

silver & black
09-30-2008, 07:28 PM
I told you it would be during the bye week. We all figured Rob Ryan would be the coach... but it doesn't really matter. Cable will be out at the end of the year, more than likely, and we can start another off season of finding the next ex coach. :coffee:

MACH1
09-30-2008, 07:34 PM
Ol' Al's going to have to dig deep to find somebody fool enough to coach there.

steelpride12
09-30-2008, 09:35 PM
5 coaches in 5 years with a team full of talent, Al i think your doing something wrong.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 11:52 PM
Congrats to Lane Kiffin!!!

Its like being in a relationship with some whacked out girl that is gonna burn down your house if you dump her........and she finally bails on you!!!!

Kiffin will be the next Mike Shanahan and Al Davis will still be muttering about "the tuck rule" when alzheimers fully sets in.

OneForTheToe
10-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Al Davis = : :screwy::drooling::hyper::monkey::tap::hunch: :bonk::footinmou:binky::smashy::bomb:

If you see him.:moon::cya:

steeler dude
10-01-2008, 12:37 AM
:applaudit: Grats AL you have now won the ( im the biggest dumbest owner award ) :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah: un pro like are you comments ! :toofunny::rofl:im glad you are on the other side of the U.S. of A

silver & black
10-01-2008, 05:27 AM
Congrats to Lane Kiffin!!!

Its like being in a relationship with some whacked out girl that is gonna burn down your house if you dump her........and she finally bails on you!!!!

Kiffin will be the next Mike Shanahan and Al Davis will still be muttering about "the tuck rule" when alzheimers fully sets in.

Possibly... but don't for a minute think that Kiffin is faultless in this.

revefsreleets
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
What exactly did he do wrong here? I mean, the guy made progress in a horrible, horrible situation. They have no OL and haven't for years, there was never any real competence in the FO, and Al Davis has become a caricature of his former self.

It's almost like the rest of the league just gives players and coaches time in Oakland a mulligan. Nobody will hold this against Kiffin but crazy old Al...he'll land on his feet and be fine.

Raises an interesting question: Who WILL Davis find to coach the Raiders? Who wants that AWFUL job?

stlrtruck
10-01-2008, 10:37 AM
I give Kiffin credit he seemed to take the high road in all this. I think Davis' interview proved that he has lost all capacity to run the Raiders organization - the only running it's going to be doing is deeper in the ground. Kiffin was making progress and if Al thinks he's going to be like Snyder or Jones and instantly purchase a playoff team, he's dead wrong (which he looked closed to in his interview).

Not saying Kiffin didn't have his faults but he's not allowing coaches to develop team chemistry and plugging the RIGHT people into his system.

I almost feel sorry for the Raiders fan, the proud fan base doesn't have anything on the field to cheer about.

revefsreleets
10-01-2008, 11:42 AM
And dumping your coach via phone call? C'mon! Be a man, Al!

missedgehead
10-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Al Davis has lost it totally. In his presser when he fired the poor guy, he took shots at Chris Mortensen of BSPN even! What a nutcase

lilyoder6
10-01-2008, 03:36 PM
rly?? did u not see kiffen put his fg team on the field to try a 75 yrd fg?? that shows me he rly cares

silver & black
10-01-2008, 07:05 PM
What exactly did he do wrong here? I mean, the guy made progress in a horrible, horrible situation. They have no OL and haven't for years, there was never any real competence in the FO, and Al Davis has become a caricature of his former self.

It's almost like the rest of the league just gives players and coaches time in Oakland a mulligan. Nobody will hold this against Kiffin but crazy old Al...he'll land on his feet and be fine.

Raises an interesting question: Who WILL Davis find to coach the Raiders? Who wants that AWFUL job?

1: you don't look for another job on the sly while only being employed for what... 4 weeks?

2: you don't make comments to the media about things that should be kept in house... even if you're right.

3: you don't leak information to reporters in order to bolster your case against your boss. ( letter given to Mortenson)

Kiffin knew the situation when he took the job. There is no way, as God made little green apples, that he didn't talk with his father and Gruden before accepting the position... no way he didn't understand what being the coach of the Raiders entailed.

I'm not giving Al a pass either, far from it. I thought his public airing of the laundry about Kiffin was disgraceful. It was no better than what Lane did. In the end, it comes down to the fact that Al Davis is lord and master of the Raiders... weather I agree with it or not. It is what it is, and us Raider fans just have to live with it, untill it isn't.

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2008, 07:39 PM
1: you don't look for another job on the sly while only being employed for what... 4 weeks?

2: you don't make comments to the media about things that should be kept in house... even if you're right.

3: you don't leak information to reporters in order to bolster your case against your boss. ( letter given to Mortenson)

Kiffin knew the situation when he took the job. There is no way, as God made little green apples, that he didn't talk with his father and Gruden before accepting the position... no way he didn't understand what being the coach of the Raiders entailed.

I'm not giving Al a pass either, far from it. I thought his public airing of the laundry about Kiffin was disgraceful. It was no better than what Lane did. In the end, it comes down to the fact that Al Davis is lord and master of the Raiders... weather I agree with it or not. It is what it is, and us Raider fans just have to live with it, untill it isn't.

ummmmm.........

Kiffin knew the situation when he took the job.

you don't look for another job on the sly while only being employed for what... 4 weeks?

yup.....kiffin definetly knew what the deal was, an acted accordingly......:chuckle:

silver & black
10-01-2008, 08:03 PM
ummmmm.........

yup.....kiffin definetly knew what the deal was, an acted accordingly......:chuckle:

So, you agree that Kiffin isn't faultless.:wink02:

MasterOfPuppets
10-01-2008, 08:04 PM
the only thing you can fault kiffin for is taking the job

for entertainment at its finest.....

http://bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm

silver & black
10-01-2008, 08:29 PM
the only thing you can fault kiffin for is taking the job

for entertainment at its finest.....

http://bangcartoon.com/2008/alsheimers.htm

Not bad, but they have done much funnier stuff.

revefsreleets
10-02-2008, 10:26 AM
This is chicken and egg. My guess is that crazy ole Al started right in on Kiffin, and he reacted accordingly. Kiffin would not have acted thus had he been in a truly professional organization, and it probably only took him about 4 weeks to realize that things had deteriorated in Oakland beyond what the ex-coaches could tell him.

silver & black
10-02-2008, 02:35 PM
This is chicken and egg. My guess is that crazy ole Al started right in on Kiffin, and he reacted accordingly. Kiffin would not have acted thus had he been in a truly professional organization, and it probably only took him about 4 weeks to realize that things had deteriorated in Oakland beyond what the ex-coaches could tell him.

And that justifies it how? Like I said... there is absolutely NO WAY that he didn't know from the start what he was getting into. Like a lot of us do, he probably thought it really can't be that way, I'll be the acception and make this work... after all, I get to be a head coach in the NFL... how bad could it be?

Like I said, I don't exonerate Al in any of this... And Kiffin doesn't get a pass either. Both of them acted extremely unprofessional in the way they handled it.

I'm over it... time to move on. How many more times, remains to be seen. :sofunny: