PDA

View Full Version : Big Bens Shoulder ???

Carolina Steelers
09-14-2008, 11:21 PM
Must really be bothering him he refused to answer Andrea Kramer question 3 times!!

What a warrior you could tell it was bothering him but he just kept pushing:tt02:

Steelman16
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
He's a warrior all right! :tt02:

I hope it's not something that will nag him the duration of the season. Get it worked out and solid. Play Lefty if we have to for a game.

fansince'76
09-14-2008, 11:24 PM
Is it against the rules to say that his shoulder is fine if its not?

Don't see why it would be - Belicheat has been lying about injuries with impunity for years.

NV STEELERS 723
09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
I don't think he wants the opposition to know how bad his shoulder really is

Crushzilla
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
Yea, that can't be a good thing. Is it against the rules to say that his shoulder is fine if its not?

Not really.

I'm not entirely sure why he REFUSED to answer the question, but I think the first two times were just him wanting to focus on hat really mattered, which was how the guys played. The third was just him being playful, I'm sure.

After all, the Patriots have made a living on ridiculous secrecy.

It worries me because he was favoring it at times. This could really be an issue and there really isn't a time where he can sit a game out or take it easy with this schedule.

It would only be a violation if they fudge the official injury report, which isn't due until Wednesday (I believe).

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
His shoulder certainly didn't seem to bother him tonight.

Preacher
09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
With how tough our schedule gets...

I prefer to see Ben sit a few weeks and let it heal NOW.

fansince88
09-14-2008, 11:31 PM
They better evaluate him really good. Let's make sure he is healthy this season.

X-Terminator
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Some of the throws he made tonight, it can't be bothering him all that much. He threw some laserbeams, especially the one to Heath that pretty much sealed the game. There are very few quarterbacks in the league with the arm strength to make that throw. But I don't think he's going to sit unless it really affects his ability to throw. One thing's for sure, he's one of the toughest guys in the league.

Edman
09-14-2008, 11:35 PM
His shoulder doesn't seem to be bugging him.

He's made some great throws in crappy weather and led the Steelers to what appeared to be the winning score.

Sharkissle29
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
His shoulders fine guys. He didnt want to answer because hes a team-first guy. He wanted the interview to be about him and his TEAMMATES getting a W against the Browns. Classy

tony hipchest
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
our line has been playing well. but ben has 14+19 passing attempts + 5 sacks and a few scrambles (so far this year).

anyone who has watched the games can imagine his shoulder is pretty freaking sore. toughness aside, he has been getting hammered.

1 sack for every 8 dropbacks, and he seems to be well on pace to be dumped another 40+ times again this season.

thank God he eats chernobyl soil for a snack.

PalmerSteel
09-14-2008, 11:50 PM
could be another week without much practice for ben. i hope this isnt one of those injuries that keeps lingering on all year after getting it dinged every sunday because it is for sure gonna limit him this week and will feel it next sunday. could tell just the way he was carrying himself.

Michael Keller
09-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Pain is almost always an indication something in the body is injured. Ben is a true tough guy and his passes were excellent tonight so it is hard for any of us to determine to what extent he is injured. Tomlin the Doctor(s) and Ben must make the right decision on how to handle this.

My best guess is that it is not too serious the way he was winging his throws deep and even on the roll out.

CanadianSteel
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I definately saw him frustrated with something, as he was grimising often, but that was coming to the sidelines, Is it possible to have a sore shoulder that does not bother when you thorw, because his throws were lasers and into the wind often.
For once i think i am glad to see our bye week early in the year... rest up Ben

X-Terminator
09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
I definately saw him frustrated with something, as he was grimising often, but that was coming to the sidelines, Is it possible to have a sore shoulder that does not bother when you thorw, because his throws were lasers and into the wind often.
For once i think i am glad to see our bye week early in the year... rest up Ben

No bye week until week 6.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 01:13 AM
our line has been playing well. but ben has 14+19 passing attempts + 5 sacks and a few scrambles (so far this year).

anyone who has watched the games can imagine his shoulder is pretty freaking sore. toughness aside, he has been getting hammered.

1 sack for every 8 dropbacks, and he seems to be well on pace to be dumped another 40+ times again this season.

I'm very critical of the OL but a couple of those sacks were on Big Ben tonight and I rather him protect the football and take the sack then try and throw it away to have it hang up in the air that could lead to an INT...Only down side when Ben takes the sack he takes some shots....I think the OL has been solid...Not great but solid...The Browns did have some pressure this game....But I didn't see the constant pressure like last year....

Galax Steeler
09-15-2008, 05:10 AM
When he aired it out to Holmes you could tell it wasnt affecting his throw but you could tell he was playing in some discomfort.

stillers4me
09-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Now I wish I had a dollar for every time Madden brought it up. :chuckle:

It was like he was waiting with bated breath for Ben to fall to the ground, clutching in shoulder and writhe in pain so he could gleefully say again.

klick81
09-15-2008, 12:16 PM
I'm hoping the painful facial expressions was just him playing the injury up to pump up his offense, ala Bradshaw :chuckle:

Steely McSmash
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
I think this may have something to do with the media asking questions about medical details that the steelers have not disclosed. The official word was that the shoulder was sore. I never heard from the Steelers anything about this CT separation. They dug this out a dumpster somewhere and the Steelers aren't addressing it because of the source in my opinion.

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 12:40 PM
Now I wish I had a dollar for every time Madden brought it up. :chuckle:

It was like he was waiting with bated breath for Ben to fall to the ground, clutching in shoulder and writhe in pain so he could gleefully say again.

The fat, blithering idiot known as Madden was clearly showing his anti-Steelers bias again last night. I can't stand him. The Immaculate Reception was in 1972, John. Get over it already. :mad:

steelreserve
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
No bye week until week 6.

We've got the shitty Ravens in Week 4. That almost counts as a bye.

We could rest Ben that week if we needed to and no one would be able to tell the difference. Well, except that our quarterback was a big black dude wearing a different uniform number. But you know what I mean.

HometownGal
09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Tomlin emphatically stated in his press conference today that to his knowledge and his medical staff's examinations and testing, Ben DOES NOT have a separated shoulder, as the NBC announcers stated on Sunday night. He told the reporters today that if they know where that rumor was started, to send them directly to him. Coach T said that Ben simply has a sore shoulder.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/17475990/detail.html

Edman
09-17-2008, 01:05 AM
The Tomlinator sounded pretty pissed saying it too. Can't say I blame him. This shoulder business has gone out of hand. Much like Ben's '104 degree fever' in 2006.

If Ben had a seperated shoulder, he wouldn't have played last week and would be out for weeks.

MJ5150
09-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Geez....this isn't going to go away. Personally, I think there is something wrong with Ben's shoulder, but no one wants to admit it.

I don't like the way Tomlin reacted to it with the "send them to me" attitude. Like he is going to confront the person and beat them up for talking about Ben's shoulder? That is how it came off to me.

Good on Ben to give it up to Willie and the O-line on the post game questions. I'm sure he was also told to not say anything about the shoulder to anyone. I applaud him for playing with the injury to an extent, but if he is truly hurt, he has to sit. We saw this a couple years ago with the concussion.

-Mike

fansince'76
09-17-2008, 03:12 AM
Geez....this isn't going to go away. Personally, I think there is something wrong with Ben's shoulder, but no one wants to admit it.

You really think Ben could have thrown some of those lasers he did in gale force gusts of wind if it was truly a separated shoulder? I think I'll give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt over Andrea Kramer on this one, thanks.

MJ5150
09-17-2008, 04:04 AM
You really think Ben could have thrown some of those lasers he did in gale force gusts of wind if it was truly a separated shoulder? I think I'll give Tomlin the benefit of the doubt over Andrea Kramer on this one, thanks.

Well, I didn't go so far as to validate Kramer and NBC, but I do think there is more than soreness going on. Tomlin mentioned something today about a sprained AC joint and ligaments. That sounds serious to me, and will only get worse as he goes out there each week throwing lasers and 50-60 yard bombs.

I felt there were some huge mistakes made with Ben's concussion on Cowher's dime, and I hope Tomlin does not repeat them with Ben's shoulder. For one, you never ask a warrior like Ben if he can play. Ben isn't the type to sit out, and will always pronounce himself fit to play. The only criteria for Ben to play in his mind is if he is breathing. :tt02:

-Mike

stillers4me
09-17-2008, 06:26 AM
Wow.....I haven't seen this much broohahaha about a quarterbacks injuries since............................Tom Brady.

Congratulations, Big Ben! Looks like you've made it! You have now been proclaimed "an elite quarterback!".

R.I. P. Tom! Long Live Big Ben! :tt02:

The_WARDen
09-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Hey Hey now! The Oline is playing great....just listen to anyone associated with the team!

:coffee:

steel striker
09-17-2008, 09:36 AM
Well the difference between the 06 season and this season is Ben has been playing really well. He is making good decisions and, is very accurate with his throws. Plus again Ben is the leader and, making it about the team instead of all about ben.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 10:58 AM

Its all terminology. Technically it is a "separation", but a low grade separation that is also referred to as a "sprain"

If it draws more attention, you can say that William Gay "has torn ligaments in his ankle", which is just a more sensational way of saying he has a "sprained ankle"

Tomlin says "sprained", NBC says "separated" ........technically they are both right. Its just that "separated" makes for a better headline.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 11:08 AM

I dont understand the obsession with the sack/dropback statistic among Steeler fans. Can somebody please explain the deal??

The 2 sacks in Houston were because they were confused and nobody blocked Williams. The first one on sunday was a 6 man blitz, the 2nd sack was a facemask that took Ben down and the 3rd one was a really good looking 5 man zone blitz.......something that LeBeau would appreciate.

The houston ones were screwups and can lay blame. Of the 3 in Cleveland....1 was a penalty on the Browns and the other 2 were really good schemes where Ben taking the sack was the best thing to do.

He can get dumped 50 times for all I care if we go 12-4.

SteelMember
09-17-2008, 11:31 AM
Its all terminology. Technically it is a "separation", but a low grade separation that is also referred to as a "sprain"

If it draws more attention, you can say that William Gay "has torn ligaments in his ankle", which is just a more sensational way of saying he has a "sprained ankle"

Tomlin says "sprained", NBC says "separated" ........technically they are both right. Its just that "separated" makes for a better headline.

I get your point, but I guess some don't see it that way. To say something is the same, understandable. Like the common "bruise" would equal the more technical "contusion". I don't read sprained and separated as the same, although one may cause the other. I'm no expert, but I think there is a kind of progression to these terms.:noidea:

sprain < separation/dislocation < broken/fracture < compound fracture < amputation.

Spinning for sensationalized headlines...absolutely.

fansince'76
09-17-2008, 11:38 AM

I hear you - it's the same phenomenon that transforms a fever of 100.4 to 104. :rolleyes:

SteelMember
09-17-2008, 11:43 AM
I hear you - it's the same phenomenon that transforms a fever of 100.4 to 104. :rolleyes:

Well, he did say "a hun-erd four", right? :sofunny:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 12:16 PM
I don't read sprained and separated as the same, although one may cause the other. I'm no expert, but I think there is a kind of progression to these terms.:noidea:

sprain < separation/dislocation < broken/fracture < compound fracture < amputation.

Here is a quote from the P-G. http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08261/912674-66.stm
A mild shoulder separation -- such as Roethlisberger's reportedly is -- involves a sprain of the AC ligament that does not move the collarbone and looks normal on X-rays.

Mild shoulder separation = sprained shoulder.

Just as torn hamstring = hamstring pull.

or torn ligaments in ankle = ankle sprain

A hamstring pull is another way of saying there is a degree of tearing of muscle fibres in the hamstring that causes discomfort and issues with its use.

My orthopaedic surgeon once told me I had torn ligaments in my ankle. When I concerned about rehab and surgical repair he said......"its a sprain"

NBC can say separation and they are right. They just forgot to use the word "mild".

CanadianSteel
09-17-2008, 12:51 PM
Still wondering where NBC got their info from as I beleive they had said Ben had told them he had a separated shoulder......

Maybe I was hearing things..... ot too much :drink:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 02:12 PM
I think the biggest problem is that most athletes neglect to stretch out their shoulder joints.

Here is an example of how to stretch out your shoulder joints properly.

http://www.strangecelebrities.com/content/item/140502.html

tony hipchest
09-17-2008, 03:07 PM
I think the biggest problem is that most athletes neglect to stretch out their shoulder joints.

http://www.strangecelebrities.com/content/item/140502.html:chuckle: nice!

im pretty sure ben did that "stretch". i bet he stretched it proper too! :thumbsup:

Preacher
09-17-2008, 03:17 PM

http://www.strangecelebrities.com/content/item/140502.html

Thank goodness I had my glasses on... it stopped my eyes from popping out....

some warning please.... I think i gotta go pray now.

rich4eagle
09-17-2008, 03:33 PM
Hey Preacher how yah doin bubba..........

I was wondering if anyone in Steel Town understands how the heck the ablilty to field and catch a punt or OH MY GOODNESS CATCH a FREE BALL kickoff eluded the Black and Gold ...........Sunday

I found that unacceptable and something like I used to see in three stooges comedy strips

ideas anyone

Preacher
09-17-2008, 03:43 PM
Hey Preacher how yah doin bubba..........

I was wondering if anyone in Steel Town understands how the heck the ablilty to field and catch a punt or OH MY GOODNESS CATCH a FREE BALL kickoff eluded the Black and Gold ...........Sunday

I found that unacceptable and something like I used to see in three stooges comedy strips

ideas anyone

I think it is a non-issue.

you won't see it again. They have a GREAT return person that knows how to judge the ball, even in winds like that. We are still struggling to find a single, consistent, dominant person in that spot. As a result, we struggle when it comes to playing in adverse condidtions.

rbryan
09-17-2008, 03:50 PM
I think I just found Bens helmet

scsteeler
09-17-2008, 09:21 PM
I will say that Ben's shoulder is problem but I don't think it is as bad as the media is making it out to be. If Ben's should were really that bad Tomlin and The Steeler Staff would not risk injury to a Pro Bowl QB like Ben to win a couple of games.

I mean think about it you risk season ending injury for 1 or 2 games no way. I just think the Shoulder is sore and hurt and will need some time to heal and the question is can Ben play with the pain and the answer to that is yes based on his performance this weekend.

Ben will be fine.

SaskSteeler
09-17-2008, 09:31 PM
This seems like it could end up being like burress's ankle injury last season. He probably wont practice much but will be ready for games.

lilyoder6
09-17-2008, 11:02 PM
or he'll be limited in throwing during the week and stuff like that