PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on tonight's game

Steelman16
09-14-2008, 10:55 PM
Just some randomly-educated thoughts on the game. I'll start with the negatives, since I like to end on positive notes.

Negatives:

1. Romeo Crennel is the worst, may I repeat worst, clock manager in the NFL. Period. Five minutes to play, down by a touchdown and they're out there all lacksadasical like they're weeding Ma's garden. I really don't get it. Why am I talking about the Browns? Because I don't like to see stupid coaching, from anybody. But I am glad of the win.

2. Brett Keisel. He was playing well until the minor leg injury. I didn't catch the injury report, so hopefully he'll be full strength for next week.

3. Ben's shoulder. Our quarterback is a warrior hands down, but I really do hope (and pray) that his shoulder issue is nothing that will nag him constantly during the season and eventually be his downfall when it counts down the road. If I was Tomlin, I'd play Lefty a game if need be to completely heal Ben's shoulder. Our schedule doesn't get any easier, and we'll need those wins in the home stretch.

4. Officiating. I know it's anti-Pittsburgh to complain about the refs, especially after a win, but it was bad. There were a lot of shady and questionable calls IMO.

Positives:

1. The offensive line: I thought the O-line played a very adequate game for us. Rogers blew up some plays, but that's a give-and-take type situation. Hartwig played very well, even moved Fatso backwards on several plays. Kemo....wow, that man is an absolute beast. Simmons seemed flat early on but picked it up later in the game. Marvel played a decent game. Colon did alright as well. Nobody really shined other than Kemo, but the key was they played as a unit.

2. Willie Parker. Power? Willie Parker? There was a time when those two words were considered an oxy-moron, but I think we can safely say that Willie has added a dimension of power to his running attack. Not Marion Barber or Brandon Jacobs mind you, but power nonetheless. For all the Willie haters, Willie still had a chip on his shoulder!

3. Troy Polamalu. The Hair is back!! Troy was all over the field tonight. Literally everywhere. That recognition on the inside pass at the goal line was lightning fast. Read, react, boom. Interception, hold the Brownies to zero by halftime. Add to that several 3rd down stops. The only somewhat bad play was that pop-up at the first down line.

This game didn't equal the excitement of the Denver-San Diego game in terms of highlights, but for the Steelers to go into Cleveland, in rainy weather, and fight it out even with some bad calls was simply awesome in my opinion. That, to me, is the mark of a great team.

I'm looking forward to next week's game.

Edman
09-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Why do people keep talking about Ben's shoulder? He seemed fine to me.

Dodt
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I'll complain about his shoulder if it continues affects him against the cravens and the bungles. i am still disappointed about the safety.

Steel_Bus_24
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM
AHH I said to myself going into this that I would take a W no matter how ugly it looked.

We looked off tonight but still gutted one out. I hope we don't have any serious injuries...because we'll need to go up another level to take on the Eagles next week...............still

10 Straight baby!!! Hell Yeah!!

Hannity_on_Holmes
09-14-2008, 11:48 PM
that was wayyyy to close for comfort.
the wind seemed to play a factor.

if braylon didnt drop so many passes, the game could have gone to cleveland.

i like the intimidation the D instilled in the browns offense. it was a key element of beating the browns offense.

Preacher
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
that was wayyyy to close for comfort.
the wind seemed to play a factor.

if braylon didnt drop so many passes, the game could have gone to cleveland.

i like the intimidation the D instilled in the browns offense. it was a key element of beating the browns offense.

Last year, we barely beat them in the second half of the year.

we almost ALWAYS play these games close.

It is a rivalry for a reason. It gets played that way too.

Galax Steeler
09-15-2008, 04:06 AM
Ben was still playing in some pain but he still played a good game.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
I think the O line was better than adequate.

I also think that in better weather conditions we would have scored more, but so would the clowns.

We didnt get a lot of pressure on Anderson and our DB's werent that sharp. The browns have a good O line and WR's, but Winslow got lucky on a couple receptions.

Hopefully Keisel and Townsend can play on sunday and we should be able to get another W.

DeSean Jackson will be another test for ST coverage.

memphissteelergirl
09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
O-line was good....not awe-inspiring, but good.

Ben and FWP...solid as always

Defense was great....good to see Troy returning to form

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Fans rarely give the O-line credit.....I knew most would forget the praise from John Madden last night.

I think facing the big FA acquisitions of Rogers, Williams and other retuning players like McGinnest, Wimbley and D'Quell Jackson they played very well.

Fans get all over them for 3 sacks, but forget about the rushing totals and how Ben was able to camp out several times on long passes to 1.Hines from the goaline, 2. The bomb attempt to Willie, 3. long pass to Holmes.

A few times I just sat there and noticed they were stoning the 4 man rush by the Browns. Definately not awe inspiring, but a hell of a lot better than just "good".

Rotorhead
09-15-2008, 12:12 PM
I would say Crennel is the 2nd worst at clock management. When the Iggle lost in the SB, that was the worst clock management I have ever seen.

OneForTheToe
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
With all this talk about Crennel being the worst clock manager in the NFL let's not forget another "chubby," poor clock manager, in Mike Holmgren. Holmgren has worked hard to be that bad at telling time (and then blaming the subsequent loss on the refs), so let's not take away his crown just yet. Give the man his due. He's eeaaarrrned it :thumbsup:

Blonde Bomber
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
After all of the Brownie hype, the Cleveland fans are now retreating back to...Fire Crennel, play Quinn, wasted money on Stallworth, all funny stuff after two weeks. Many of them would like Cowher to come in for Crennel. Now they get a well rested Ravens D to contend with.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
After all of the Brownie hype, the Cleveland fans are now retreating back to...Fire Crennel, play Quinn, wasted money on Stallworth, all funny stuff after two weeks. Many of them would like Cowher to come in for Crennel. Now they get a well rested Ravens D to contend with.

Yeah, pretty much standard Cleveland schtick.

Bring in high profile Free Agent.........................................chec k.
Have said FA underperform or get a staph infection.....check.
Lose to the Steelers.......................................... ....................check.
Fire Coach and bring in more high profile FA busts................

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
It was a game we won...that we were Supposed To Win. That is what I take from this game.

We have the better Roster and have more experience. This game was a supposed to win, I'm happy we have now won 2 of the games we were supposed to win.

However. We need to work on our Kick Returns and Punt Returns. I won't have that costing us game this year. I won't have it.

Now we move on, and scout the Eagles tonight, that is a game that will be a true test of where we are in the league.

Penn St Steelers
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
their last threating drive in which they settled for the FG had me a bit concerned....it appeared to me that the wind was out of the sail of the D' and if not for their bad clock management I wonder if they would have scored a TD.......but I'll take a bend but don't break D' anyday......

VTsteel
09-15-2008, 06:18 PM
We went into a very hostile environment and ground out a win.

Wasn't pretty . . . But to beat them last night was huge.

lilyoder6
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
that fumble of the kick off was crazy.. i was very upset at that

scsteeler
09-15-2008, 08:50 PM
I felt this game would be close and I actually had the Steelers loosing this one in my games for the Steelers to lose. The Brownies wanted this game bad! So bad that I think they played this game like it was the Super Bowl. I mean hearing all the time no matter how good you get you still can't beat the Steelers.

Think about it this game was really a must win in week 2 for the Browns they lost in their opener if the lost the would not only have to wait until the last game of the season for payback but have to hear all season you still can't beat the Steelers!

These are the games good teams win even when they don't have their best game.

millwalldavey
09-15-2008, 08:56 PM
Hate to use the excuse... but if not for the weather, this would be different. Ben was dead on and several passes went through wet hands.

SteelersMongol
09-15-2008, 09:00 PM
Why do people keep talking about Ben's shoulder? He seemed fine to me.

Hey, that was all decoy. :chuckle: U know? 2 get rid of that "Oh, the Steelers this" "The Steelers that" & all that blah blah.

scsteeler
09-15-2008, 09:11 PM
Hate to use the excuse... but if not for the weather, this would be different. Ben was dead on and several passes went through wet hands.

I have to agree with that statement.

Preacher
09-15-2008, 09:37 PM
We went into a very hostile environment and ground out a win.

Wasn't pretty . . . But to beat them last night was huge.

Absolutely... those are what you call "Character Wins"

You win that game more by WHAT you are, then what you can do.

steel striker
09-16-2008, 07:06 AM
Well to me it was a win played in tough condtions. We all heard through the off season how the browns were going to beat us. Now all those so called experts are second guessing themselves. I thought Ben and fwp play well. the oline did a good job and, the was solid. I must say that Troy is back and, flying all over the place. Now we will focus on the eagles and, get ready for the next big game.