PDA

View Full Version : Defensive Line Depth?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Anybody notice that when Keisel went down, the Browns were able to move the ball more effectively?

I've been critical of Keisel, as he is the weak link of the D-line, but when he went out....the drop in performance to Kirschke and Eason was huge. I hope we can stay healthy up front this season.

Steelman16
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Kirschke and Eason aren't bad players, but they're not quite equal to Keisel. The calf injury didn't look too serious, so hopefully he'll be back at 100% next week.

tony hipchest
09-14-2008, 11:25 PM
yes.

but fans have been overly critical of deisel and i KNOW all his teammates would agree.

him as the weak link is like saying willie parker was the weak link when jerome and duce were ahead of him.

or calling farrior a weak link of the LB corps.

or saying ryan clark is the weak link of the secondary.

or saying heath miller is the weak link of the receiving game when holmes and hines are on the field with him.

i hope brett is healthy. he is the epitome of steelrs football, despite his shortcomings. (we can only afford so many pro bowlers at so many positions, right?)

Preacher
09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
You would expect, with the game to go on, conservative play calling, and a coach that expects the other offense to screw up (and they did), that a team would be able to drive on another D a few times after they got use to them.

Their drive was more a result of the cover-2 soft D then the line itself.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2008, 11:31 PM
yes.

but fans have been overly critical of deisel and i KNOW all his teammates would agree.

him as the weak link is like saying willie parker was the weak link when jerome and duce were ahead of him.

or calling farrior a weak link of the LB corps.

or saying ryan clark is the weak link of the secondary.

or saying heath miller is the weak link of the receiving game when holmes and hines are on the field with him.

i hope brett is healthy. he is the epitome of steelrs football, despite his shortcomings. (we can only afford so many pro bowlers at so many positions, right?)

I hear you Tony, but unfortunately, I disagree. Last season all I saw from Keisel was bull rushing into the O lineman and then nothing unless there was great coverage. He's not great against the run, but good and often can be handled on the pass rush by 1 OT.

I honestly think Keisel is better playing a 4-3 DE and playing faster at a lower weight, but even though I think we should have upgraded him in the offseason.....he is better than Eason or Kirschke by a large margin.

I hope the calf isnt serious and he continues to improve.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-14-2008, 11:35 PM
You would expect, with the game to go on, conservative play calling, and a coach that expects the other offense to screw up (and they did), that a team would be able to drive on another D a few times after they got use to them.

Their drive was more a result of the cover-2 soft D then the line itself.

Again, I disagree Preacher. Granted, Joe Thomas and Steinbach are good O linemen, but Keisel seemed to be plugging things up on the Browns left side, which wasnt happening when he wasnt there.

I agree that over time you would expect the O line to wear down the D. It just seemed that they began to move the ball when he was out, similar to how teams ran on the Steelers when Aaron Smith went down last season.

I've hacked on Keisel, but he appears to be more valuable than I thought....especially with not a lot of quality depth.

ricksteelers55
09-15-2008, 12:05 AM
yeah but hey how many yards on the ground did the 4th best rusher in the NFL last year got ?

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 12:08 AM
yeah but hey how many yards on the ground did the 4th best rusher in the NFL last year got ?

19 carries for 38 yards, with an 8-yarder being the longest run by the coke dealer, or by any of the Browns' RBs all night. We completely stuffed their running game (25 carries, 53 yards, 2.1 YPC as a team).

ricksteelers55
09-15-2008, 12:32 AM
19 carries for 38 yards, with an 8-yarder being the longest run by the coke dealer, or by any of the Browns' RBs all night. We completely stuffed their running game (25 carries, 53 yards, 2.1 YPC as a team).

yeah I really liked our D tonight I think they were awesome 207 total yds I think

against a very good Offense not too shaby

Galax Steeler
09-15-2008, 03:23 AM
yeah I really liked our D tonight I think they were awesome 207 total yds I think

against a very good Offense not too shaby

It just seemed like we couldn't get pressure on anderson until we got toward the end of he game.:noidea:

Aussie_steeler
09-15-2008, 07:52 AM
The only successful running plays seemed to be when the Browns played an unbalanced line to the right and then ran to the left.

If anything it looked like the D overcommitted a couple of times to counter the LT lining up beside the RT and then got caught out a little.

I cant remember too many first downs made with a run over 4 or 5 yards.

moedap
09-15-2008, 07:55 AM
I think the subs played a hell of a game