PDA

View Full Version : The Playcalling

Edman
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
*Much complaining about nothing.*

This is one of the reasons why Pittsburgh posts ugly wins or loses on the road against bad teams. Play not to lose playcalling.

Does Tomlin and Arians have no confidence in this team? Or did the weather play a factor?

X-Terminator
09-15-2008, 10:23 AM
The weather absolutely played a factor in the playcalling. There were 25-35 MPH sustained winds with higher gusts all night and occasional bursts of rain. Why in the world would you want the team taking chances in conditions like that, where field position means everything and turnovers could be killer? I have no problems with the conservative playcalling last night.

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 10:24 AM
Why do we need to throw bombs every play? The weather was bad, and it was effecting the WR's ability to catch the ball. We showed we could complete passes when needed, and the running game was effective. We were on the road in bad elements, so why get fancy?

It was classic Steeler football. Get up, protect the lead and eat clock by running the football and playing solid D.

By the way, this was the 2nd game in a row where we needed to run the ball and we did/could.

Edman
09-15-2008, 10:34 AM
I suppose it wasn't so bad. Like the topic said, much complaining about nothing. If the Steelers threw the ball all night then we'd get complaints that the Steelers abandoned the run.

The game was in the hands of the Defense, and they held their position.

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 10:59 AM
I did have the feeling (and the Browns fans will vehemently deny this, I'm sure) that, had we decided to open things up, and the WR's were able to hold onto the ball, we could have almost passed at will against the Browns.

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2008, 11:07 AM

This is one of the reasons why Pittsburgh posts ugly wins or loses on the road against bad teams. Play not to lose playcalling.

Does Tomlin and Arians have no confidence in this team? Or did the weather play a factor?

I thought the deep ball to Hines late in the game that was just out of reach of his fingers was a fantastic call and really showed guts to put the game away. Think it was a 2nd down call too. Great call. Hines catches that and its game set match.

There was a bubble screen call I hated, but other than that, I thought they did a good job in play calling.

SteelMember
09-15-2008, 11:19 AM
I did have the feeling (and the Browns fans will vehemently deny this, I'm sure) that, had we decided to open things up, and the WR's were able to hold onto the ball, we could have almost passed at will against the Browns.

I think the weather may have actually altered the original gameplan. That is, if you believe in scripted plays. Ben's first two quick passes usually set up a situation to go deep, after you suck the corners closer to the line of scrimmage, or at least to get your passing rhythm going.:noidea: Also they showed a soft spot in the middle that we exploited a few times, but not to Miller as much as I had hoped.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the weather was definately a factor. If a few plays connect, they are moving the chains and we are instead talking up another great performance.

1. Hines drops a 1st down catch in the 1st quarter off his fingertips(you could see the spiraling ball turn sideways in the wind.

2. Ben throws a low out to Nate that the wind takes down and inside. Another 3rd down conversion thwarted by the wind.

3. Ben throws bomb to Willie. (great O line protection BTW). Goes thru Willie's hands and later replay shows Santo was open for the first down underneath.

I think Arians called a good game, took their shots and persevered in bad weather.

Only thing I have issue with is late in games, trying to close it out and move the chains we dont have a decent lead blocker, but rather go 3TE. I would rather see McHugh line up as a FB and get a 4 yard run at lead blocking for Willie than on the line stringing out the line. But, that is what we do now.

stlrtruck
09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
3. Ben throws bomb to Willie. (great O line protection BTW). Goes thru Willie's hands and later replay shows Santo was open for the first down underneath.

This played killed me. I saw it before he threw the ball, saw the double pump, and saw the safety moving over as soon as he released it. Having Holmes underneath with at least another 10 yards of running room would have been huge, especially considering the weather.

This, imho, is the one downfall of Ben's that he needs to work on. He's not Brett Favre and doesn't need to hit the big one every series. Hit the underneath man and let your WRs do their thing!!!

Mosca
09-15-2008, 11:45 AM
By the way, this was the 2nd game in a row where we needed to run the ball and we did/could.

My only bitch, and it is a minor one, is that if Parker had stayed in bounds on the play right before the 2 minute mark, we could have run out the clock after the two minute warning. Hard to argue for him to take the hit instead of the yards, though.

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 11:51 AM
My only bitch, and it is a minor one, is that if Parker had stayed in bounds on the play right before the 2 minute mark, we could have run out the clock after the two minute warning. Hard to argue for him to take the hit instead of the yards, though.

I agree and it really is a minor thing - I would have preferred if Willie turned that sideline run back inside and the Browns not getting the ball back at all. Anything can happen in the kind of conditions last night's game was played in. A DB can slip and leave a guy like Edwards wide open with nothing but open real estate in front of him, for example.

verks36
09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
i think the weather was a big factor. We played to win the game not put up flashy stats. Win> Stats

steelreserve
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
My only complaint is that they didn't kick a field goal with 30 seconds left. They got no points, ran 4 seconds off the clock, and gave them the ball at pretty much the exact same spot they would have anyway if they'd missed the field goal.

Worst of all, they were 6 1/2 point favorites and that stopped them from covering the spread.

SteelersinCA
09-15-2008, 12:03 PM
I would have liked to seen a more open playbook, but I am betting Ben's shoulder and the weather played a large part in this. I really thought we would do better running against the clowns.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 12:06 PM
This, imho, is the one downfall of Ben's that he needs to work on. He's not Brett Favre and doesn't need to hit the big one every series.

Its human nature. You know the veggie wrap is better for you, but sometimes you just cant resist a cheesesteak wit onions and provalone.

X-Terminator
09-15-2008, 12:10 PM
I would have liked to seen a more open playbook, but I am betting Ben's shoulder and the weather played a large part in this. I really thought we would do better running against the clowns.

The Browns are somewhat improved against the run, but Parker still gained over 100 yards against them and had some good runs in the 4th quarter when their D was clearly wearing down. I'll take that. And again, why in the world would you want an open playbook in those weather conditions? You have to play it close to the vest in that scenario in order to minimize mistakes. Remember, DA tried to get greedy and threw a costly INT that led to the Steelers' only TD and threw another one at the end of the first half. I don't know about you, but seeing that, I'm sure glad Arians decided to play things close-to-the-vest.

SteelMember
09-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Its human nature. You know the veggie wrap is better for you, but sometimes you just cant resist a cheesesteak wit onions and provalone.

Mmmm. Cheesesteak. Patience my pet. Patience. Next Week.

Although I believe philly is to cheap for provolone. They use that cheese wiz jiz.

stlrtruck
09-15-2008, 01:12 PM

Yeah and now for some reason I'm thinking Primanti's or Peppy's - oh, wait I'm in Tampa.

THANKS! :noidea:

OneForTheToe
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM
Arians' sucks. It is his fault we almost didn't win.

:wink02::flap:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 01:43 PM
Arians' sucks. It is his fault we almost didn't win.

:wink02::flap:

He started hurricane Ike too!!

stlrtruck
09-15-2008, 02:49 PM
He started hurricane Ike too!!

According to some Floridians, that is also partially Bush's fault. Not sure if they mean G.W. or Reggie.

scsteeler
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
I happen to think Bruce A. is doing a good job. He has put in plays that Ben likes and I think in time Big Ben will learn to take the safety net and go with the check down receiver quicker instead of waiting for the Big play to develop when the heat is on but this has been where Ben has made opposing defenses pay by holding on to the ball and buying time and then making the Big time throw.

My only concern is can his body take all those hits for 7 or 8 more years.

Overall this Steeler team will get better as the season goes along.

Preacher
09-15-2008, 10:47 PM

I agree... and I agree it is a minor one.

There were a couple things I wondered about... but who knows what they were trying to set up... and then the weather changed and the play (say it was a pass play) couldn't be ran (wind gusts pick up).

blue2noise
09-15-2008, 10:57 PM

I've been hearing this crap since the BC era.

Steeler football = get a lead, hold a lead.

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 11:00 PM
I've been hearing this crap since the BC era.

Steeler football = get a lead, hold a lead.

Think Ben would have been allowed to launch one deep to Hines with our backs up against our own goal line with a 10-3 lead late in the 3rd during Cowher's tenure? In lousy weather, no less? I don't. It would have been 3 runs up the gut for 2-3 yards and then a punt from the back of our own end zone giving the Browns great field position.

tony hipchest
09-15-2008, 11:10 PM
through 2 games, willie is picking up right where he left off. his 53 carries are 5 more than anyone else.

last year he led the league in carries per game. we run him like he is jerome bettis or earl campbell. i have no problem if he takes a step out of bounds here or there. he deservs it.

he's just about beyond the point of asking for a blow, and tomlin seems to have no problem hitching his wagon to willies back.

i am definitely concerned about willies (and bens) longevity, but as my avy suggests, tomlin and parker are more than willing to "run until the wheels come off".
(really i think this is just the "calm before the 4WR set/ no huddle storm").

tony hipchest
09-16-2008, 01:06 AM
if ed bouchette ever needs a break, i will be more than willing to step in-

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08260/912480-66.stm

And, again, the Steelers coach seems determined to run Parker "until the wheels come off," something he promised last season. Parker's 53 carries are the most by a running back in the NFL. Next is Chicago's Matt Forte with 46.

The idea that rookie Rashard Mendenhall might either take some of the carries away from Parker or even share the load seems to not even be a consideration early in the season.

:dang: i hate when professionals get paid to steal my "material".

Galax Steeler
09-16-2008, 04:38 AM
The weather was a big issue in the play calling if we would have had good weather then you would have seen a more open offense.

HometownGal
09-16-2008, 08:08 AM
I liked the conservative playcalling all the way around which was obviously due to the weather elements. The D held the Browns to 2 FG's and preserved the lead and I totally agreed with Tomlin's decision not to kick a FG late in the game. If the Browns block that FG or there is a bad snap and the ball gets loose, anything could have happened. Tomlin took the safe route which was also the smart route when all was said and done.

rbryan
09-16-2008, 08:23 AM
I thought the play calling was fairly aggressive considering the weather.

Although it was a 4 pt game I can't help but feel like it wasn't that close. Kinda reminded me of a soccer match where one team has a commanding one goal lead......lol

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
i think that in last night's game there wasn't rly a chance of mendenhall to come in and run the ball... i think that rashard will get more carries as the yr goes on