PDA

View Full Version : Ron Cook: I disagree, and agree.

vincess
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
To let you know what I disagree/and agree with:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08259/912337-66.stm

I'm not saying he's (Big Ben) the best in the league right now, but he's gotta be top 5.

It's NOT just Holmes, and Ward that make him look good. It's plenty other things as well.

You all saw the passes that were dropped by NOT just Ward, and Tony. But how about the pass he through PERFECTLY, I mean...WOW....to Parker. In Willies deffence, he's not a reciever. But WOW! What a pass!

I get what Cook is driving at. I just don't believe that 2 recievers are the only reason Big Ben looks good.
Maybe I'm either reading his column wrong, or reading into it too much....dunno.

Just my first post, so...eh.

STEELtownHAVOX
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
That was a beautiful pass to Willie, would have been better if caught. But like stated, tough catch for a RB in that situation.

Black@Gold Forever32
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
Easily Ben is among the best in the NFL....Like to know what Steelers fans and how many thought Mr. Cook was over-rating him....I guess Ben still hasn't won over all of the Stiller Nation...lol

WVUSteelers
09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
Does anybody else think that on the pass to Willie was just a slick ball? It was a beautiful pass, and defiantly catchable in any other situation. He played pretty good last night, even when throwing into the wind, considering how bad Anderson looked.

lilyoder6
09-15-2008, 04:33 PM
well ben was alrdy considered to be top 3 qb in the league.. and w/ brady out and manning looking hella shitty.. i can see him number 1

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Disagree. Ward dropped a couple passes, and he MAY be slipping a bit as of late. I do not include Ward in the elite NFL WR corp any more, although I still love having him on the team for his toughness. It could be argued that many teams have better WR's than the Steelers.

Ever stop to consider that maybe Ben is making these guys look better?

xfl2001fan
09-15-2008, 05:39 PM
I think it's a good combination of good WR and good QB making each other better.

That long ball to Santo in the second half was a classic example of the WR doing the QB more favors...but at the same time, the placement on a couple of Hines drops was perfect...if caught. The endzone drop (before his TD) was the QB making it easy on a WR...but the WR not doing the QB any favors.

Is Hines slipping? Hard to tell, it was a windy/rainy game that the best all-time would struggle in...let alone Hines who is a more than good WR still (IMO).

Is Ben Elite? He's certainly making a hell of a statement for that case to me. He's already the absolute best/most dangerous QB on the move/outside the pocket in the NFL.

Hines/Holmes/Heath as a WR corps elite? Maybe not, but any slippage by Hines is more than compensated by Holmes and Heath is just underrated/overlooked by bigger names. Very good, easily.

I was probably most impressed by Kemo's play. Hartwig wasn't getting as much push on Rogers (as some tried to credit him for), but Kemo was hellacious against him.

As of now, it's looking like the Steelers are the class of the AFC...which pretty much means class of the NFL. If only you could know how much it pains me to say that.

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2008, 05:48 PM
As of now, it's looking like the Steelers are the class of the AFC...which pretty much means class of the NFL. If only you could know how much it pains me to say that.

Your entire post was very good. However, I wanted to address this part of it.

It shouldn't pain you, in fact, it should feel good. Deep down inside, it should feel good to say the Steelers are the Class of the AFC.

Join us. We accept your jump. Join us and be a True Steelers fan. It'll just take you going to a sports store, or even going online and buying, with your own dollars, your first Terrible Towel. All the pain will go away, you will feel free and alive again. You will see the light and feel empowered, enlightened and refreshed. It will be the cure for all that ails you (metaphorically speaking).

We welcome you with open arms.

LambertLunatic
09-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Join us. We accept your jump. Join us and be a True Steelers fan. It'll just take you going to a sports store, or even going online and buying, with your own dollars, your first Terrible Towel. All the pain will go away, you will feel free and alive again. You will see the light and feel empowered, enlightened and refreshed. It will be the cure for all that ails you (metaphorically speaking).

We welcome you with open arms.

I got to disagree with you Dino. I don't know what team xfl2001fan is a fan of, but at least he's a true fan to his team. I have no respect for bandwagon fans that switch allegiance to whatever team is hot. I could no more respect xfl2001fan for switching to a Steelers fan than if he'd have switched to the patriots a few years back (like most patriots fans did).

Preacher
09-16-2008, 12:38 AM
I got to disagree with you Dino. I don't know what team xfl2001fan is a fan of, but at least he's a true fan to his team. I have no respect for bandwagon fans that switch allegiance to whatever team is hot. I could no more respect xfl2001fan for switching to a Steelers fan than if he'd have switched to the patriots a few years back (like most patriots fans did).

Naaa... when fans finally see the light, you have to welcome them home!

I will tell you this much, if I was a Pats* fan, I would have stopped being one after spygate.

If our team is ever busted for doing something like that... I am done being a Steelers fan.

Bandwagon? Fair-weather fan? Nope. I just have standards.

How the heck did I get to that last point in this post? I think I just lost myself let alone anyone else.

SteelersQT
09-16-2008, 03:19 AM
To let you know what I disagree/and agree with:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08259/912337-66.stm

I'm not saying he's (Big Ben) the best in the league right now, but he's gotta be top 5.

It's NOT just Holmes, and Ward that make him look good. It's plenty other things as well.

You all saw the passes that were dropped by NOT just Ward, and Tony. But how about the pass he through PERFECTLY, I mean...WOW....to Parker. In Willies deffence, he's not a reciever. But WOW! What a pass!

I get what Cook is driving at. I just don't believe that 2 recievers are the only reason Big Ben looks good.
Maybe I'm either reading his column wrong, or reading into it too much....dunno.

One thing that makes Ben stand out above the rest is his ability to make magic out of crap outside the pocket. He has the highest completion % of any QB outside the pocket. That speaks volumes of this athleticism.

That was the key in the Superbowl last year. Giants kept coming at Brady. Loved seeing Brady on his back!

Galax Steeler
09-16-2008, 04:43 AM
I see Ben as being the top quarterback in the league right now he played good in game one and played a good game against the elements on sunday night.

vincess
09-16-2008, 09:37 AM
This was all pretty much what I was driving at.

I think Ben is incredible. He does indeed make great plays out of a crappy situation.

I would, however, like to see him get rid of the ball, instead of hanging on to it for a sack.

BUT, that's easy for me to sit here in front of the tube, screaming "just throw it away Ben"!

Anyways,
I really believe it's Ben making the receivers look good. He could've made them look better vs. the Steamers if they had held on to his beauty passes.
I KNOW, weather was a huge factor there.

SO,
I think it's safe to say weather shouldn't be a factor vs. the Eags?...
Dunno, I know it's perfect here in Indy now. Up there in Jersey could be a different story come Sunday....

HometownGal
09-16-2008, 10:38 AM

Welcome to the board vincess! :wave::tt02:

I think you may be reading too much into what Cook stated:

I took a fair amount of grief last week for opining that Ben Roethlisberger is the NFL's best quarterback now that Tom Brady is done for the season. It didn't all come from Peyton Manning fans and Tony Romo fans. A lot came from Steelers fans, who made it clear they love Big Ben, but that I'm seriously overrating him.

Sorry.

I'm sticking to my opinion and I'll give you two more reasons why:

Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes.

Those guys would make any quarterback pretty good.

The way I take Cook's comments is that he is adding to his reasonings as to why he believes Ben is the NFL's best quarterback at this point and I agree with his assessment here. Santo and Ward are huge playmakers and though Hines had that one dropsie in the EZ that was a perfect pass, he makes that catch 99.9% of the time. Both of these guys are in sync with Ben and the threesome seems to have radar with regard to each other. Just like Bradshaw in the 70's - Ben has 2 very talented receivers who know how to get the job done and will go out on a limb in doing so. Having one receiver with those qualities is a tremendously valuable asset to any NFL QB, but like Brad, Lady Luck smiled down on Ben and he has TWO. :tt03::tt02:

Dino 6 Rings
09-16-2008, 12:45 PM
Naaa... when fans finally see the light, you have to welcome them home!

I agree Preacher, its like an awakening to the glory of light when a person becomes a Steelers fan. They can shake off the chains of their old depressing life and join us on the side of good and righteousness. I would never not welcome a fan.

I may have something negative to say if a person, Left the Steelers, and then tried to get back on the wagon. That might bother me. Like if someone was a Steelers fan, then Became a Texans fan, then tried to be a Steelers fan again. That kind of stuff is just odd behavior in my book.

steel striker
09-16-2008, 02:55 PM
I thought Ben made some great throws in the wind on sunday night vs the browns. Just about everyone knows that Ben is fighting some type of should injury and, he is still making those laser like throws. Plus never admitting anything about this and, just wanting to talk good about his teammates.

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I may have something negative to say if a person, Left the Steelers, and then tried to get back on the wagon. That might bother me. Like if someone was a Steelers fan, then Became a Texans fan, then tried to be a Steelers fan again. That kind of stuff is just odd behavior in my book.

BettisFan, where are yooooouuuuu? :chuckle:

steeltheone
09-16-2008, 04:33 PM
Ben does what it takes to win. We haven't got into a situation where he has had to throw 40 times a game, due to running the ball so well. It will be interesting just how good our recievers are when this happens.

If you take a look a Hines one drop, it was much harder pass to catch than it looked. ( thanks tivo)

SteelersQT
09-16-2008, 10:15 PM
Ben does what it takes to win. We haven't got into a situation where he has had to throw 40 times a game, due to running the ball so well. It will be interesting just how good our recievers are when this happens.

If you take a look a Hines one drop, it was much harder pass to catch than it looked. ( thanks tivo)

I agree, one. I am anxious to see how Ben meshes with his receivers this year, if he will spread the field out even more. Especially after seeing Baker go from practice squad to beating out Reid.

Ben says he has one of best core of receivers. I'm getting my popcorn ready, Ben. :popcorn: