PDA

View Full Version : Keisel Out for Two Months

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Anyone else just get the alert that Keisel is out for 2 months?

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
:banging: :banging: :banging:

Steelman16
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Anyone else just get the alert that Keisel is out for 2 months?

WHAT!?

Nooooooo......

Not good. I guess we'll be seeing the Ancient One on the field?

What did he hurt that bad? He looked OK on the sideline...

:banging:

Hopefully I'm overreacting.

The Duke
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
well, 2 months is better than for the whole season....

still, it sucks if true

MACH1
09-15-2008, 03:53 PM
Ouch...Not good

fansince'76
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Damn, damn, DAMN! :banging:

Steelers' Keisel out for up to two months with injury

Monday, September 15, 2008
By Ed Bouchette and Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers will lose starting defensive end Brett Keisel for up to two months with a calf injury and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will continue to have a sore right shoulder for a while.

Keisel left in the first quarter of Sunday night's game in Cleveland with a right calf injury. Yesterday, he wore a protective boot from his knee to his foot. The injury is similar to one suffered by Dan Kreider in 2001 that kept the former Steelers' fullback from playing for more than two months. Keisel is scheduled for further tests on his calf this week.

Kreider was placed on the physically unable to perform list that July 20 with his injury and did not play in a game until Oct. 14.

NBC-TV reported Sunday night that Roethlisberger has a separated shoulder, described merely as "sore" by coach Mike Tomlin last Tuesday. Indeed, the quarterback has a low-grade separation but it did not prevent him from throwing 19 times, including one pass of at least 60 yards and another of 50 in a swirling wind in Cleveland. He completed 14 of his tosses, one for an 11-yard touchdown to Hines Ward, and finished with a 113.0 passer rating.

Roethlisberger's shoulder injury likely will cause him some discomfort for several weeks.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08259/912385-100.stm

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Steelers' Keisel Expected To Be Out For 2 Months
PITTSBURGH (KDKA) ― KDKA-TV Sports has learned that Steelers defensive end Brett Keisel is expected to be out for the next two months.

Keisel injured his calf in Sunday night's game against Cleveland.

He suffered the injury in the first half of the game and did not return.

http://kdka.com/

Steelman16
09-15-2008, 03:58 PM
Crap. Do we pick up an extra lineman now?

rbryan
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
Time to see if Booger can pass a physical yet???

Dino 6 Rings
09-15-2008, 04:03 PM
We gather ourselves together and move on. He'll be back just when we need him and we'll only get better upon his return. Until then, we rally and worker harder and continue to win.

Edman
09-15-2008, 04:05 PM
Damn. That really sucks for the Diesel, and the Defense. At least he isn't done for the season.

I don't think I can stomach Eason and Kirschke.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
At this point can we PLEASE pick up Dre Moore from the Bucs...or Nick Hayden from the Panthers

...both are on the practice squad and would be good fits for a 3-4 DE....would be the young talent we failed to pick up in the draft...and not only fill an immediate need but a very obvious FUTURE need.

Edman
09-15-2008, 04:20 PM
The Steelers will have to move on. If the 2008 Steelers are a championship caliber team, they'll continue on and rely on their backups to win when someone goes down. Sitting around and panicking is not going to change a thing.

Losing Brett until November bites, but hopefully we'll in the playoff hunt by then.

tony hipchest
09-15-2008, 04:50 PM
brett is a true team mate. the guys will miss much more than just his production on the field.

speedy recovery.

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
If I could pick one guy on the defense we could lose it would be Keisel. If Eason can play like he did vs. the Texans, we'll be fine.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 05:27 PM
At this point can we PLEASE pick up Dre Moore from the Bucs...or Nick Hayden from the Panthers

...both are on the practice squad and would be good fits for a 3-4 DE....would be the young talent we failed to pick up in the draft...and not only fill an immediate need but a very obvious FUTURE need.

Give it up LLT.

If they cant make the 53 man roster of an NFL team......how can they fill an immediate need. Hayden at this point is a younger, inexperienced Kirschke. Not gonna help now, but might be a future project.

I think we will see this injury as a lesser version of the Aaron Smith injury last season. Gonna notice that teams will attack that side with some success in the run game.

OneForTheToe
09-15-2008, 05:35 PM
If I could pick one guy on the defense we could lose it would be Keisel. If Eason can play like he did vs. the Texans, we'll be fine.

My concern is in the run defense. We know an effective 3-4 D is contingent on, above all else, the 3 linemen being able to hold the point against double teams (better yet beat the double). I know Keisel has taken some shots on this board, but all you have to do is look at what happened to the defense after Aaron Smith went down last year to realize that Keisel must be good against those double teams. After all, if Brett wasn't doing his job the D would have been weak against the run all year.

I will say that I think Eason has gotten better at getting penetration into the backfield, but I still think he gets pushed back too often. Hopefully, the old man (Orphious Roye) can give us some good minutes.

RunWillieRun
09-15-2008, 05:37 PM
Ugh....Oh well, injuries are a part of the game. I feel bad for him, but gotta move on. Here's to hoping he has a speedy recovery and that our D doesn't suffer too much.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Hopefully, the old man (Orphious Roye) can give us some good minutes.

I'm hoping that Roye plays his way into the starting job until Keisel gets back.

Steel_Bus_24
09-15-2008, 05:46 PM
****** This sucks something awful

Hopefully we can make do...but we cant afford many injuries with this schedule

RoethlisBURGHer
09-15-2008, 05:54 PM
That blows, but Keisel isn't as big of a loss to our offensive line as Aaron Smith...so if I had to choose one of the two to go down for two months, it would have to be Keisel.

I sure hope he has a speedy recovery though.

memphissteelergirl
09-15-2008, 05:59 PM
OH, S***!!!!

:banging::banging::banging:

slippy
09-15-2008, 06:17 PM
does anyone know what exactly these mysterious calf injuries are?

there's nothing in there but muscle and the achilles tendon. a bunch of nerves too.

is it a torn muscle, a torn achilles or a pinched nerve.

slippy
09-15-2008, 06:21 PM
sorry guys, i just checked web MD.

seems like a grade 2 calf strain; meaning a partially torn calf muscle.

GBMelBlount
09-15-2008, 06:30 PM
Hey, it could be worse. At least we should have him back for the home stretch.

lilyoder6
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM
at least he is only out for 2 months.. it actually did look like eason did a alright job last night

ricksteelers55
09-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Here's my question....can Chris Hoke play DE ? I mean Eason and Kirschke are good backup to me,but how good would Chris Hoke be at DE ? He's very solid for us when he plays NT to spell Casey but what could he bring to the table as a DE...

tony hipchest
09-15-2008, 07:18 PM
Here's my question....can Chris Hoke play DE ? I mean Eason and Kirschke are good backup to me,but how good would Chris Hoke be at DE ? He's very solid for us when he plays NT to spell Casey but what could he bring to the table as a DE...i havent checked his size lately but hes a capable back up for hampton. im pretty sure hes too big for what the DE position requires. im willing to bet there isnt any DE in the league as big as hoke.

pretty much the same reason why woodley is too small to move to DE in our scheme.

theres still eason and roye (and LLT noted a few rookies who might be worth a look).

HometownGal
09-15-2008, 08:08 PM
We gather ourselves together and move on. He'll be back just when we need him and we'll only get better upon his return. Until then, we rally and worker harder and continue to win.

Good post Dino. Exactly. :thumbsup:

I'm saddened to hear The Diesel will be out for that long, but we'll be OK. Eason will have to step up his play and hopefully Brett will be back sooner.

Get well soon big guy! :drink:

Texasteel
09-15-2008, 08:57 PM

Thats the first thing I thought, but I think we're pissing into the wind bud.

klick81
09-15-2008, 10:19 PM
Dammit. It didn't look that serious during the game. Time to step it up Eason!!!

WVUSteelers
09-15-2008, 10:21 PM
It certainly hurts to lose a veteran like him. Eason has impressed me so far this season. He'll need to play his A game and then some. If they put Brett on the inactive list, and have Roye become active, what role will Roye play, if any?

Galax Steeler
09-16-2008, 03:26 AM
Hopefully we can step up and keep winning games till he gets healthy and returns.

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-16-2008, 03:29 AM
Give it up LLT.

If they cant make the 53 man roster of an NFL team......how can they fill an immediate need. Hayden at this point is a younger, inexperienced Kirschke. Not gonna help now, but might be a future project.

I think we will see this injury as a lesser version of the Aaron Smith injury last season. Gonna notice that teams will attack that side with some success in the run game.

NEVER!!!!!:tt03::tt03:

Still think that they are 3-4 DE's....and that the Bucs and Panthers are misusing them as 4-3 DT's

But your right...they are both projects...(just wish they were OUR projects)

lamberts-lost-tooth
09-16-2008, 03:33 AM
Thats the first thing I thought, but I think we're pissing into the wind bud.

Dont give up the fight brother!!!!!!!!!:chuckle:

I really dont think Eason is the answer.....He couldnt even hold a spot when Smith went down last year.

FordsnSteelers
09-16-2008, 03:53 AM
Darnitt!! We share the same name..aw well...more shine for WOODELY, HARRSION, IKE, and The Hawian Headhunter (or whatever his nicknames are..hes too good to keep track of) Polamalu!!! ha ha...we got depth...dont worry.

Glace
09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
I hate to say it, but losing Keisel isn't going to be as bad as losing Aaron Smith was.

The_WARDen
09-16-2008, 09:03 AM
Should I point out now that the FO didn't address the lack of quality depth at the Dline position (like the coach stated)? Would that be hating?

moedap
09-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree with those saying Eason replacing Kiesel is less of a drop off than him replacing Smith. I remember Eason from college and he was a pass rusher more than a run stopper(evident by him getting pressure on the QB in the last 2 games). He has had 2 years in DL's system so he has to be a little better than last year?

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 09:25 AM
if keisal is out for 1 month or what ever i don't seem to find it on nfl.com or the steelers sight.. unless i am blind..

tony hipchest
09-16-2008, 09:33 AM
if keisal is out for 1 month or what ever i don't seem to find it on nfl.com or the steelers sight.. unless i am blind..
pssst.... theres a link on the 1st page of this thread.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Should I point out now that the FO didn't address the lack of quality depth at the Dline position (like the coach stated)? Would that be hating?

Yup, but you are not a "Playa hater" but rather a "GM hater". Which leads to my favorite phrase. "Dont hate the player......hate the coach!" :chuckle:

BTW, on Steelers.com it now says Keisel is week to week.

Good thing, because now that Mahan is gone, we "haters" need to start a "Nick Eason Sucks" or "Kirschke Sucks" thread. :tt02:

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 03:26 PM
oo.. like i said i'm blind.. but also it said that he could go up to 2 months.. there is still a possiblity of him not missing any games

The_WARDen
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
Yup, but you are not a "Playa hater" but rather a "GM hater". Which leads to my favorite phrase. "Dont hate the player......hate the coach!" :chuckle:

BTW, on Steelers.com it now says Keisel is week to week.

Good thing, because now that Mahan is gone, we "haters" need to start a "Nick Eason Sucks" or "Kirschke Sucks" thread. :tt02:

That is great news if he is week to week and not definitely out for 2 months...

:tt03:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2008, 03:58 PM
That is great news if he is week to week and not definitely out for 2 months...

:tt03:

Keisel week-to-week with calf strain
Tuesday, September 16, 2008
By Teresa Varley
Steelers.com

The Steelers will be without defensive end Brett Keisel when they head to Philadelphia to take on the Eagles on Sunday.

Keisel suffered a calf strain against the Browns and is officially out this week and his status right now is week-to-week.

Head coach Mike Tomlin did not indicate who would start in place of Keisel, but it won’t be just one player who will be asked to contribute. Travis Kirschke and Nick Eason will both see extensive playing time, as well as Orpheus Roye.

http://news.steelers.com/article/96151/

HometownGal
09-16-2008, 07:35 PM

Don't you worry there, El Gonzo - there will be a Hartwig Sucks thread by the midway point in the season - I'd bet my life on it. :chuckle::wink02:

I heard on the news tonight that The Diesel is indeed week to week which is great news!

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 08:05 PM
i thought i saw it that it wasn't 2 months or whatever... so maybe i'm not blind after all

MJ5150
09-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Dang, this is going to leave a good sized hole in our defense.

-Mike

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 11:18 AM
Don't you worry there, El Gonzo - there will be a Hartwig Sucks thread by the midway point in the season - I'd bet my life on it. :chuckle::wink02:

Nah, I think the only way that thread gets posted is if Faine gets hurt and we get some imports from the Bucs board :chuckle: