PDA

View Full Version : My extemporaneous and off-the-cuff take on Death Magnetic:

revefsreleets
09-15-2008, 09:50 PM
I just listened and typed what I thought. I've been a fan for 25 years, so why not? I'm just cutting and pasting and would love to hear critique on this from any and all:

First Impressions of Death Magnetic- I’m going to assign each song to an older Metallica album where it would have fit, IMO

That Was Just Your Life- Hmmm…throwaway song on MOP. Not a strong song. Ripping themselves off big time here. Solos were right off MOP. Good recovery at the end. At least there are complicated and changeable chord progressions, old school…

The End of the Line- Better already, but still sounds like something else they’ve already done, you know? Maybe “For Whom the Bell Tolls”? It’s too polished for that album, but it would fit. Ripping themselves off again. Holy Christ, there’s shit from St. Anger here in the middle of the song…production sounds like MOP/Justice but contemporary. Jesus, there’s some old, old, OLD school knock-off from Kill ‘Em All here in the middle. Nice! Makes me miss Cliff. Nothing pioneering here, but I like it. The end of the song is very St. Anger, but there’s nothing wrong with that. That WAS a new direction for them.

Broken, Beat & Scarred- No joke, right off the bat it is SO Justice! I say that in the BEST way. This is the first song I’m feeling on this album…nice riffs, getting into this. I hear and feel the bass. My guess? Trujillo had some input on this. THIS is real Metallica! Halfway through there’s the chord changes…nice solo…almost sounds like an Iron Maiden solo. NICE! I’m diggin’ this one!

The Day That Never Comes- This is my tenth or twelfth listen. I’m hearing “One” more and more, but I like that Trujillo has a bigger role. The drums are clean and crisp and really cut through, maybe more so than on anything else they’ve ever done. This one could go on the black album. Halfway through they get formulaic, unfortunately it’s not Formula One. There are some flashes at the end though…as I said before, the last solo would have fit right on MOP. It’s fast, but not necessarily good, or even necessary for that matter.

All Nightmare Long- For Whom the Bell Tolls right off the bat. I’m getting this “Creeping Death” vibe from this song. Not bad.

Cyanide- Would fit on St Anger, but the chord progressions were more early stuff. Correction. This song is total St. Anger by the end. There are a couple flashes to maybe Justice earlier, but this is completely derivative of St. Anger. I didn’t hate St. Anger like most, so it’s not bad for me.

Unforgiven III? Why? It was okay in the beginning, but it’s time to kill this idea. Rush did this concept right with the “Fear Trilogy” (Witch Hunt, The Enemy Within, The Weapon, Freeze) but Metallica’s version is overkill. Worst song on the album, and the lyrics are not good, too boot.

Judas Kiss is SO FWTBT! LOVE IT it almost sounds like Cliff on the bass again! I was just ready to give up and this kicked me right in the head! It’s not particularly anything new, but it’s nice to feel my chest pound again with bass like it did with “Harvester of Sorrow”, especially at the end of the song.

Suicide & Redemption- Another song that starts off almost sounding like Kill Em All. Love the bass. It gets a little more Black album after that, which ain’t great in my book. This is not their best instrumental. This, maybe more than anything, exposes the fact that Metallica won’t be delivering anything revolutionary from here on out. St. Anger was what they had in them, and nobody liked it (I did, but I’m just one dude), but even that was just what it was.

My Apocalypse- I’m hearing “Damage Inc” on this, but there may be more. Solo is a bit different than I expected, but that won’t save the song. Too derivative of other earlier work. Oh no, there it is! Another solo that I’ve heard before. The end is recovering…not new, but interesting…Kill Em All type end to the song.

Overall, I’m happy. They can’t go back, and they’re best days are behind them, but this kicked ass, and I hope they let Trujillo be even more involved in the future.

millwalldavey
09-15-2008, 09:52 PM
I may have to *find* this.

revefsreleets
09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
I don't think i have the "real" All Nightmare Long". Have to double check tonight...no wonder it sounded so much like Creeping Death!

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Update: Broken, Beat and Scarred is one of the best Metallica songs of all time. The opening riffs totally effing rip! This would have fit very well on either MOP or Justice.

Still listening and evaluating, but this one leapt out at me after only a couple listens

NJarhead
09-17-2008, 07:08 PM
Update: Broken, Beat and Scarred is one of the best Metallica songs of all time. The opening riffs totally effing rip! This would have fit very well on either MOP or Justice.

Still listening and evaluating, but this one leapt out at me after only a couple listens

That's my favorite song on the album (also like Cyanide and Unforgiven III is good but I agree it's time to end the theme).

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 07:13 PM
After the obligatory 15 listens, I'll update my original post.

I was wrong about quite a few things...

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
This is probably the best review I've seen so far:

Blender:

http://www.blender.com/guide/reviews.aspx?id=5297

Metallica
Death Magnetic

(Warner Bros.)
Release Date: 9/12/2008

Rock's big-game hunters rediscover their barbaric taste for speed and death.
Reviewed by Ben Sisario
Anger is not enough. You need death, gore, apocalyptic dread and a whole lot of pummeling double kick-drum to make a truly great metal album. Metallica knew this. Early on, they honed those basic elements into a kind of militaristic code and demonstrated their efficacy through four perfectly brutal, innovative albums, from the berserker whiplash of Kill 'Em All in 1983 to the controlled and cynical … And Justice for All in 1988. But in the '90s, while becoming some kind of stadium--filling, radio-dominating monster, they strayed far from their course-let us never speak of the symphonic S&M again-and even recorded an album while in the midst of group therapy. Those sessions yielded a juicy documentary, but also the psychobabble of 2003's St. Anger, a labored, awkward effort.

Enter Rick Rubin, Mr. Get Back to Where You Once Belonged. The man who produced- five Slayer albums and helped Johnny Cash craft his own stark epitaph has coaxed out Metallica's speed-metal demons for the band's most focused and viscerally satisfying work since the Black Album, 17 years ago. From the first track, "That Was Just Your Life," it's fast as hell, and nearly every song unfolds like a chase, with James Hetfield and Kirk Hammett's artillery riffs and Lars Ulrich's churning drums delivering the sound of unremitting fate. "We hunt you down without mercy/Hunt you down all nightmare long," barks Hetfield, the Cerberus of this inferno. He indulges in gruesome imagery with distinctive cruel relish ("Mangled flesh, snapping spine/Dripping bloody valentine") and syntaxes rarely heard outside of ESL night classes ("Spinning sand we will not find").

Even at their most elaborate, Metallica songs are finely wrought killing machines with not a part to spare, and the gore obsession here is more than horror-movie boilerplate. In the venerable tradition of metal's single-minded bogey-men-iron men, powerslaves, wrathful Norse gods-Hetfield comes alive with the taste of blood, embracing the instinct to aggression "like a face that learns to speak when all it knew was how to bite." The violence is constant and extreme, like Itchy and Scratchy given an ammo budget, but Hetfield's hungry gulp of air preceding the last chorus to "All Nightmare Long" is a reminder of the humanity behind the gears of these songs.

Rubin pointed the direction, but credit goes to the band-which, for the first time on record, includes new bassist Robert Trujillo-for recapturing their old sound and reconciling it with what followed. "The End of the Line" and "Cyanide" seamlessly fold in the grungy blues-mosh of the Load era, and the first single, "The Day That Never Comes," is a quiet-to-loud-to--really-loud saga à la "One." Roving guitar solos pay playful homage to 1970s influences Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden, and the knotty songs stretch to six, seven, even nine minutes as Hetfield roars about death, death, death.

As Grand Guignol theater it works in almost every case. But Hetfield isn't the same beer-guzzling buck who made Kill 'Em All. In order to step into his old skin, he has to stifle the wisdom and experience he's gained. Complicated emotions can clog up the machinery; it's no coincidence that one of the few missteps here is the string-laden "The Unforgiven III," which is filled with depths of regret and pain.

St. Anger sought rational and humane meanings in the bloodlust but ended up with shallow confessions like "I want my anger to be healthy." The struggle for maturity was a poignant success in Some Kind of Monster, but it distracted the band from its inspiration: its core brutality. On Death Magnetic, the instinct for cruelty turns out to be an even more liberating form of therapy.

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 09:30 PM
Well, here's my update...not that anyone cares, but WTF?

That Was Just Your Life- Hmmm…throwaway song on MOP. Not a strong song. Ripping themselves off big time here. Solos were right off MOP. Good recovery at the end. At least there are complicated and changeable chord progressions, old school…

(Alright, I was a little hard on the Beav with this one…I’m getting some heavy For Whom The Bell Tolls vibes here coupled with MOP stuff. The chorus is more like Justice, as is the bridge out of it…none of the riffs are blowing my mind or anything, but it’s good, old fashioned heavy as shit Metallica. A good welcome back…6 out of 10)

The End of the Line- Better already, but still sounds like something else they’ve already done, you know? Maybe “For Whom the Bell Tolls”? It’s too polished for that album, but it would fit. Ripping themselves off again. Holy Christ, there’s shit from St. Anger here in the middle of the song…production sounds like MOP/Justice but contemporary. Jesus, there’s some old, old, OLD school knock-off from Kill ‘Em All here in the middle. Nice! Makes me miss Cliff. Nothing pioneering here, but I like it. The end of the song is very St. Anger, but there’s nothing wrong with that. That WAS a new direction for them.

(OK, too harsh again. I’m getting more MOP off this after several dozen listens, but there is still an underlying St. Anger thing here. Not bad, because some of the staccato things I’m hearing from St. Anger were derivative of Kill Em All stuff. Jesus, Kirk can still shred!

Broken, Beat & Scarred- No joke, right off the bat it is SO Justice! I say that in the BEST way. This is the first song I’m feeling on this album…nice riffs, getting into this. I hear and feel the bass. My guess? Trujillo had some input on this. THIS is real Metallica! Halfway through there’s the chord changes…nice solo…almost sounds like an Iron Maiden solo. NICE! I’m diggin’ this one!

(Definitely the best song on the album, and stands up against anything they’ve ever done. About a minute in this song kicks me in the effing head and makes the hair on my arms stand up, just like when I first heard the song “Master of Puppets”. As good as anything they’ve ever done)

The Day That Never Comes- This is my tenth or twelfth listen. I’m hearing “One” more and more, but I like that Trujillo has a bigger role. The drums are clean and crisp and really cut through, maybe more so than on anything else they’ve ever done. This one could go on the black album. Halfway through they get formulaic, unfortunately it’s not Formula One. There are some flashes at the end though…as I said before, the last solo would have fit right on MOP. It’s fast, but not necessarily good, or even necessary for that matter.

(Better after more listens…not my favorite though. It’s too derivative at every chord change. It’s like an amalgam of all Metallica songs, unfortunately not the apotheosis or Zenith, just sort of status quo)

All Nightmare Long- For Whom the Bell Tolls right off the bat. I’m getting this “Creeping Death” vibe from this song. Not bad.

(Wrong song- I was duped. Now I have the real song. This is pretty effing heavy…am digging this. Definitely could have been a side 2 on MOP. Not the best song on the album, but maybe the second best. This really feels like old Metallica. Like the chord changes and progressions, and James does a great job with this one)

Cyanide- Would fit on St Anger, but the chord progressions were more early stuff. Correction. This song is total St. Anger by the end. There are a couple flashes to maybe Justice earlier, but this is completely derivative of St. Anger. I didn’t hate St. Anger like most, so it’s not bad for me.

(I don’t know, this is different after 15 listens. It still sounds like St Anger to me, but has flashes of, what? Maybe For Whom The Bell Tolls. Regardless, I like it a lot)

Unforgiven III? Why? It was okay in the beginning, but it’s time to kill this idea. Rush did this concept right with the “Fear Trilogy” (Witch Hunt, The Enemy Within, The Weapon, Freeze) but Metallica’s version is overkill. Worst song on the album, and the lyrics are not good, too boot.

(Again, I was too harsh, but it doesn’t hold up. They could do better)

Judas Kiss is SO FWTBT! LOVE IT it almost sounds like Cliff on the bass again! I was just ready to give up and this kicked me right in the head! It’s not particularly anything new, but it’s nice to feel my chest pound again with bass like it did with “Harvester of Sorrow”, especially at the end of the song.

(Agree with my original assessment. Maybe a little more Justice influence than I originally thought, but there is BASS in this song. Lars splash cymbal hits remind me of the old Garage Days stuff. Like this one a lot)

Suicide & Redemption- Another song that starts off almost sounding like Kill Em All. Love the bass. It gets a little more Black album after that, which ain’t great in my book. This is not their best instrumental. This, maybe more than anything, exposes the fact that Metallica won’t be delivering anything revolutionary from here on out. St. Anger was what they had in them, and nobody liked it (I did, but I’m just one dude), but even that was just what it was.

(Listen to Orion then listen to this…probably time to stop with the instrumentals.)

My Apocalypse- I’m hearing “Damage Inc” on this, but there may be more. Solo is a bit different than I expected, but that won’t save the song. Too derivative of other earlier work. Oh no, there it is! Another solo that I’ve heard before. The end is recovering…not new, but interesting…Kill Em All type end to the song.

(OK after more listens. Sounds more like a B side from MOP. Fine songs to end the album with….it’s fast and heavy)

augustashark
09-18-2008, 01:22 AM
To me there is a slice of every era in this album. From lyrics to hooks and riffs. I can hear some metal up your azz all the way to st anger. To me it is a very good album.

Rev, I agree with most of what you came up with. This album has so much bass that it is hard to compare to Justice. Hell bass was non existant on justice, mostly due to the newness of Newsted.

My rating from best to still good is as follows:

All nightmare long
Broken beat and scarred
Cyanide
Judas Kiss
My Apocalypse
Day that never comes
That was just your life
End of the line
Unforgiven III
Suicide and redemption- just not a big Instrumental fan.

Blonde Bomber
09-18-2008, 07:47 AM
Nice job Rev, I still haven't listened to it enough to analyze. The one thing I do find myself doing whenever I hear new Metallica, is waiting to hear the hard hitting progression that use to build in their songs, all along knowing I am going to have to listen to some Battery afterwards to feel better. But as you stated they can't go back.

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 09:47 AM
I remember being at MOR in 88, and the bass on Harvester literally was thumping in my chest. It was the loudest most thundering bass I've ever heard before, then, or since....

Blonde Bomber
09-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Hey I guess I didn't see that you were in Akron, but I was at MOR at the Rubber Bowl too. Man was it hot on the that black matting they put down.

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
Hey I guess I didn't see that you were in Akron, but I was at MOR at the Rubber Bowl too. Man was it hot on the that black matting they put down.

I was actually at Three Rivers...but it was still hot as eff that day.

43Hitman
09-18-2008, 06:19 PM
I think this album was supposed to have a bit from all of their earlier stuff. Hence the moniker "going back to our roots". I say well done. I have been a fan of Metallica since the days before they kicked out Mustain and brought in Hamet. Cliff Burton is the reason I learned to play bass. I really miss that guy. What is really creepy about that accident is he drew an ace of spades to get the bunk of his choice. RIP Cliff.

Blonde Bomber
09-18-2008, 07:16 PM
How about The Four Horsemen, now that is a song I love to hear in concert. I have seen them like 7 or 8 times.

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 07:17 PM
That may be my favorite, namely because my band played it when i was 15 and we blew EVERYONE away with that song.

THAT was quintessential Metallica...

tony hipchest
09-18-2008, 09:54 PM
good previews revs. this is all i needed to hear from the blender review.
Rock's big-game hunters rediscover their barbaric taste for speed and death.

and the first lead solo from That Was Just Your Life was all i needed to hear from the actual album.

thrash metal isnt dead and just got a critical shot in the arm.

i had to drive to el paso today and wanted to give it a long, loud, uninterrupted listen so i waited to devirginize my new ride and thumping BOSE system with metal til today. (ive been mostly bumping hip hop).

well worth the wait. i gotta say having rick rubin produce it was the best thing metallica couldve done. ive even herd a few minor elements from slayer and glenn danzig.

the 3 songs that IMMEDIATELY jumped out at me as possible favorites (perhaps it is because they are the fastest and heaviest, most aggressive and energetic. i think, to this point, atleast).-

All Nightmare Long
The Judas Kiss
My Apocalypse

these 3 prove nobody double strums the power chords (where it sounds like a racehorse galloping) quite like metallica. well maybe slayer. metellica isnt as choppy though which is one of slayers signtature sounds.

All Nigtmare Long- kirk hammett absolutely abuses his guitar

The Judas Kiss- pure thrash. probably james best vocals on the entire album and as good as any vocals in the past. its just james. this is the song 2 minutes in, i wanted to pull out the lyrics and start singing along.

My Apocalypse- 100% pure speed and aggression.

The Day That Never Comes- this could evolve into my favorite song. only one problem. it sounds as if it was written by or for Danzig. nobody could pull it off better than him with his vocal range. can definitely see the influence he had on james.

Broken Beat and Scarred- the guitar rif reminds me of "Twist of Cain". rick rubin stripped the danzig I down to basically 4-8 tracks when recording it. Broken definitely isnt that stripped down, its still metallica, and well layered.

i think its Cyanyde" that has the intro by trujillo? anytime trujillo is showcased on a song it is excellent.

Even the piano and strings (cello) opening to Unforgiven was really sweet and a nice little breather and change from the speed of the entire album.

i forgot which song was the instrumental, so when Suicide and Redemption started i was waiting for the vocals. once a minute or so passed i figured this was it and started hearing the story the instruments themselves were telling. it was something about suicide and redemption. :hunch:

:chuckle:

i cant say if it was better or worse than the old stuff (other than rick rubin is boarderline brilliant).

no old school fan will be disappointed. i can almost guarantee it. the musician themselves are evolved and just better at their craft. they are polished. and pure.

hammett has never sounded better. i swear his fingers are flying on the strings like troy polamalus hair on the field. and like troy, he is simply the best in the game. i dont know if its even possible but i'd say he is maybe the most underrated of the best guitarists of all time and across all genres.

this album was so fresh for me, yet so reminicent of the old. its like having a first love who you never broke up with or had a falling out, but were separated by a move, and then seeing them again 15 years later, looking exactly just as beautiful. but older and more mature.

if this album keeps getting better after more listens, i am gonna absolutely love it.

EDIT: The Day That Never Comes has no chance of becoming my favorite. james is good and i appreciate the effort but we can all agree his voice wasnt built for ballads or opera or country, or pop. his best work is belting thrash/speed metal. his voice is one that revolutionized/popularized it.

however, if danzig laid down the vocals on this track, it could be one of my favorite songs on a new danzig album. the song is good, and the music is fine. just wont crack my top 3. or probably 5.

james did destroy danzigs (misfits) Greenhell though. and i mean that in the most complimentary way. :jammin:

revefsreleets
09-19-2008, 06:49 PM
I totally agree about Kirk...he's right on top of his game. But I also know for a fact (as an ex-drummer who still dabbles) that this album damn near killed Lars. I read somewhere that he said it was, by far, the most difficult time he's had with an album. That's straight up age...he's in his 40's and thrash drumming is a young mans game. I was actually surprised that he didn't opt for more technical stuff as opposed to just head on speed. It'll be interesting to see how he sounds on tour playing all this stuff for 2 hours every night.

Musicianship wise, they are on their game. I'm not so sure about songwriting, though. Most creative people do their best work early, and I see some evidence of that here...then again, just how derivative were they trying to be? It may be a calculated move, to bring us old disgruntled fans back into the fold.

If that's the case, they've succeeded!

Preacher
09-19-2008, 07:40 PM
I totally agree about Kirk...he's right on top of his game. But I also know for a fact (as an ex-drummer who still dabbles) that this album damn near killed Lars. I read somewhere that he said it was, by far, the most difficult time he's had with an album. That's straight up age...he's in his 40's and thrash drumming is a young mans game. I was actually surprised that he didn't opt for more technical stuff as opposed to just head on speed. It'll be interesting to see how he sounds on tour playing all this stuff for 2 hours every night.

Musicianship wise, they are on their game. I'm not so sure about songwriting, though. Most creative people do their best work early, and I see some evidence of that here...then again, just how derivative were they trying to be? It may be a calculated move, to bring us old disgruntled fans back into the fold.

If that's the case, they've succeeded !

Absolutely. It is tough to be the kings of teen angst at the age of 40. But the music can still drive.

I finally listened to the whole album today... Really like it.

Now I am cleansing my pallet with "Lamentatio Ieremaiae Prophetae- Ego Vir Videns by Die Monche Von Silos.

I so love the ancient chants.

tony hipchest
09-19-2008, 08:07 PM
i decided to go to elpaso for work again today just to get a few more listens in solitude (and complete blast mode).

it was trujillos intro for all nightmare long i was thinking about. it seems to have this wobbly carefree feel that says "im drunk, but im feeling hella good and ready to join this fight". and then it just comes out swinging! :thumbsup:

i guess youve notices trujillo gets lost in the mix on some songs. i think thats just a by product of 2 fierce guitarists and is part of their signature sound and loudness. :noidea: but when you can hear him crisp and clean it is awesome.

theres a great review from rolling stone, but i didnt get some of the critisizm from the posters after the article. some actually hated rubins production and called it too compressed, overlayed, or something. i think those who think that must be metallica newbs and are skeered.

certain songs sound close and live to me (yet 100X more better and talented than what you'd hear in the garage). and thats a good thing.

so The Day That Never Comes is gonna be the first single. i feel its a good song to break people in. i really like it. especially the more i hear it. but the more i listen the more i wanna hear danzig return the Greenhell favor, and cover it. i think its "Tired of Being Alive from the danzig IV album im thinking of.

i love metallica returning to the darker moribund themes. and i love that with almost no major exposure or video's it hit the charts at #1, breaking the record it shared with the likes of U2, Beattles, and Dave Mathews, with 5 consecutive albums at #1.

490,000 in the 1st 3 days. definitely going platinum. hell the exposure may have masters go platinum again.

they better do a small town tour (EP, las cruces or albuquerque) caus if not its 5 hours to phoenix). times like these are when i wish i lived on the east coast, where a good concert is ALWAYS within a 2-3 hour drive.

Blonde Bomber
09-20-2008, 07:43 AM
I envy your Metal drive time.
I do like Trujillo, he seems to have a much better attitude than Newsted
Hell they haven't even scheduled Cleveland yet, and they have 2 shows here many times, hopefully next summer.

revefsreleets
10-04-2008, 07:47 PM
Well, here's my update...not that anyone cares, but WTF?

(Alright, I was a little hard on the Beav with this one…I’m getting some heavy For Whom The Bell Tolls vibes here coupled with MOP stuff. The chorus is more like Justice, as is the bridge out of it…none of the riffs are blowing my mind or anything, but it’s good, old fashioned heavy as shit Metallica. A good welcome back…6 out of 10)

(OK, too harsh again. I’m getting more MOP off this after several dozen listens, but there is still an underlying St. Anger thing here. Not bad, because some of the staccato things I’m hearing from St. Anger were derivative of Kill Em All stuff. Jesus, Kirk can still shred!

(Definitely the best song on the album, and stands up against anything they’ve ever done. About a minute in this song kicks me in the effing head and makes the hair on my arms stand up, just like when I first heard the song “Master of Puppets”. As good as anything they’ve ever done)

(Better after more listens…not my favorite though. It’s too derivative at every chord change. It’s like an amalgam of all Metallica songs, unfortunately not the apotheosis or Zenith, just sort of status quo)

(Wrong song- I was duped. Now I have the real song. This is pretty effing heavy…am digging this. Definitely could have been a side 2 on MOP. Not the best song on the album, but maybe the second best. This really feels like old Metallica. Like the chord changes and progressions, and James does a great job with this one)

(I don’t know, this is different after 15 listens. It still sounds like St Anger to me, but has flashes of, what? Maybe For Whom The Bell Tolls. Regardless, I like it a lot)

(Again, I was too harsh, but it doesn’t hold up. They could do better)

(Agree with my original assessment. Maybe a little more Justice influence than I originally thought, but there is BASS in this song. Lars splash cymbal hits remind me of the old Garage Days stuff. Like this one a lot)

(Listen to Orion then listen to this…probably time to stop with the instrumentals.)

(OK after more listens. Sounds more like a B side from MOP. Fine songs to end the album with….it’s fast and heavy)

One more time...I'm probably up to one hundred listens. Evolving thoughts are:

This is a great album. I still think the instrumental was weak. Cyanide and My Apocalypse are losing ground with me, and, surprisingly, Unforgiven and The Day That Never Comes are gaining. The first half of the album is the strongest work both from a songwriting and instrumentation standpoint. But it's all good. I still can't take my ears off it, and isn't that really the greatest compliment you can ever pay to any album?

Preacher
10-04-2008, 07:59 PM
I've put the album away for a while now... moved on to some other stuff.

However, that doesn't mean i don't like it.

it is a great album. there are some changes I would like to see moving to the next album. However, it is a vast step forward from the last album, and St. Anger was a vast step forward from the previous decade and a half.

KeiselPower99
10-05-2008, 04:14 PM
I dont care for the day that never comes. the rest of the album kicks ass. cyanide and judas kiss have been in my head for days since I bought it. broke beat and scarred is just killer. I cant wait to see them in Columbus next month with Down.

tony hipchest
11-15-2008, 08:59 PM
i gotta place this album in the "classic " category too....

im still too partial to some of the older metallica albums to say it is their best, but it very well could be their best. kirk and lars are definitely on the top of their game and musicially, they have proven they can do whatever the hell thy want, and do it better than anyone else in the business.

i would rather listen to this album over any other new thrash/heavy metal album out there.

not only have they seized the day, but they have recaptured the moment.

a grat album is one where you really cant pick the worst song vs. the best one. ;this is that album.

im still partial to

all nightmare long, the judas kiss, my apocalypse (probably in that order)

but im pretty sure that the day that never comes has moved right up there.

lately, i am really loving "the day that never comes" and "cyanide".

"the slave becomes the master..." :guitar: possibly my favorite rifs of the whole album.

i really like the unforgiven III and the instrumental. as a huge fan of satriani and steve vai, i am convinced hammett could go out and do the same. (hammetts work in suicide and redemption, along with every other song, shows he is at the top of the game.)

FWIW- my 5 year old daughters favorite song is "judas kiss" and she requets it every sat morning on the way to her soccer game. she dominates (scoring about 8 goals a game) and it DEFINITELY fires her up. the 1 (and only) time she didnt have it, she was shut out and scored no goals. :doh:

Preacher
11-15-2008, 09:33 PM
I have to say, "The Day that Never Comes" has become my favorite song.

There are a few that seems pretty good, one or two that seems pretty dang good, but I really want to see their next album. Like I said, this album is an entry into what they were... musically excellent, but only a couple songs have jumped out and grabbed me, as opposed to 5 off of Master's, 6 from Ride the Lightning, 5 from Justice.

However, the album gives me serious reason to be hopeful.

KeiselPower99
11-21-2008, 10:07 AM
They tore it up in Columbus a couple weeks ago. The new stuff sounded tight and mixed very good with the older material. I think its safe to say Tallica has regained thier throne.

Hammer Of The GODS
02-19-2009, 10:27 PM
While everyones entitled to thier opinion, I believe you guys are over analyzing a bit.

Best way to determine if any follow up album rocks is to NOT compare it to other albums from that band. I know it's hard but trust me you get a better sense of the music on its own merits. For example, When I hear that an album from a band I like is being released in the near future I stop listening to that band all the way up to the new album release. Kinda like clearing your palet. So, I hadn't heard a single Metallica tune for almost 6 months when I heard Death Magnetc for the 1st time.

I gotta say it kicked me in the balls.

So I loaded it up again cracked a beer, had a touch of the green and I rocked the fug out!

When the air guitar and drums come out you know your feelin it!

ROCK ON METALLICA!

revefsreleets
02-20-2009, 09:30 AM
That's not a bad idea, but Metallica is one of my favorite bands. I literally have their catalog memorized, so the comparisons were impossible to avoid.

I still say it was a very derivative album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...

Hammer Of The GODS
02-20-2009, 11:25 AM
That's not a bad idea, but Metallica is one of my favorite bands. I literally have their catalog memorized, so the comparisons were impossible to avoid.

I still say it was a very derivative album, but that's not necessarily a bad thing...

I hear ya. At any given moment I'll be singing a Metallica song in my head.

Is it really fair to label this album derived from the previous albums though? Its almost (almost) like punishing previous success in a way. I agree that its hard to not compare. I like this album a lot and if I were to compare it to say MOP it would come up short, and I think that is unfair to DM simply because there isn't a whole lot that compares with Metallicas old stuff. I liken it to a comparison of WWII soldiers to the soldiers of today. Both groups are heros and both are irreplaceable and saying one is better than the other is unfair.

Anyway, what it boils down to is that this band is perhaps the greatest band ever assembled in rock history. I can't imagine my life without thier music and I am VERY greatful that they put out this album because it is like going back to my youth when they first hit the scene. Remember when you put Kill 'em All in the first time? Man what a punch in the face huh? Fuggin great! I played it so much and so loud that my mom wanted me to move out hahaha!

Long live Metallica!!!

revefsreleets
02-20-2009, 11:29 AM
I read an interview with Lars in Blender, and he stated that they purposefully were deriving their sound from previous songs. In fact I think he even specifically said "This song sounds like that song" and so on and so forth...

I don't have a huge problem with it. It's not like they just ripped off their own stuff, and it's definitely like their old songs were shitty Brittany Spears computer generated trash or something...

vasteeler
02-20-2009, 11:54 AM
as much as i hate to say it (being that i was a huge metallica fan) I hated that album
I thought hammets guitar work was outstanding.I thought it sounded as if the lyrics were written by 5th graders. It just didnt do it for me

I_Bleed_Black_And_Gold
02-20-2009, 12:20 PM
I have to say I am not impressed with with what I have heard from the new album. Now I am all for getting punched in the gut with thrash metal, but as a music lover I enjoy well written music, not fast noise. I know I am an "uncool" Metallica fan because The Black Album is one of my favorite albums of all time. The One, Unforgiven, Nothing Else Matters, all great tracks. I also love some of their older stuff, Turn The Page, Fade to Black, Master of Puppets, etc.

That being said, "The Day that Never Comes" has to be the biggest steaming pile of crap I have ever heard. It flat out sucks! Don't get me wrong, the guitar, drums, etc. are all adequate, but the lyrics just plain blow! They are so simple and weak. Also, Metallic singing about sunshine? Really?

That isn't the worst part. Where the shit hit the fan and I lost all faith in humanity comes later in the song with this little gem: "Love is a four letter word and never spoken here, love is a four letter word here in this prison"... What the hell is that? I mean, really? Metallica getting inspiration from Bob Dylan? What is this shit?

And then this happened:
"I suffer this no longer!
I'll put an end to,
This I swear!
This I swear!
The sun will shine!
This I swear!
This I swear!
This I SWEAR!!!"
This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!"This I SWEAR!!!", etc, etc, you get the point!

Maybe I need to give the rest of the album a listen, but with many of you listing this mound of dung as the best this album has to offer, I might have to pass.