PDA

View Full Version : Steelers/Eagles predictions.

Edman
09-16-2008, 01:15 AM
Finally, the first game of the season where I do not take much confidence in. Steelers play at Filthadelphia next weekend. The Eagles have a lot of features that make them a dangerous team. Mcnabb is mobile and can play Houdini much like Ben, Westbrook is a cutback runner, and the Defense, while porous, has a tendency to blitz heavily. Which doesn't bode well for the O-Line.

I really see no apparent advantage Pittsburgh has right now, unless I'm missing something. This one is a toss up. This is a winnable game, but the Steelers could easily lose this one. If we see more of the same in Cleveland and play conservative/vanilla, we will lose.

I say Steelers win a close one in 34-30 scoring type of game.

Preacher
09-16-2008, 01:33 AM
I am not sure what you're complaining about the play in Cleveland for. IT was a well-called game for the conditions. I want EXACTLY what we showed in Cleveland. Heart, tenacity, and a game that is called appropriate to the conditions.

The ONLY thing I want to see differently is our players CATCHING the ball on kickoffs and PR's.

Steelman16
09-16-2008, 01:36 AM
I agree with Preacher. That said, I'll call 27-24 for this one.

I don't think our defense will allow more than 30, though we might allow more yards on the ground if the line hasn't adjusted to no Keisel.

Steelerstrength
09-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Phila blitzes alot, but that makes them vulnerable over the middle, and anything to the TE. Heath & Spaeth should have big days. Also watch for FWP to get through the blitz and into the secondary. He could have another solid game as well! That would then cause an adjustment that would open up for a big play to Santonio.

With all that said, I see 28-17 Steelers. FWP over a C-note with two TD's. :tt03:

Galax Steeler
09-16-2008, 04:30 AM
I am going to say 24 to 17 we should win this one and should be able to move the ball.

Blonde Bomber
09-16-2008, 06:57 AM
I just caught the second half of MNF, but one thing that is definitely noticeable is that we are going to have to slow them down early, and break their spirit. We win 30-27

moedap
09-16-2008, 07:32 AM
I just caught the second half of MNF, but one thing that is definitely noticeable is that we are going to have to slow them down early, and break their spirit. We win 30-27

Dallas' defense is a joke. The only reason the Browns only scored 7 is because they suck. Eagles finally see a real defense. Mcnabb will be pressing the issue because the fans will be booing him for mucking up last nights game(Westbrook fumble was his fault). 21-10 Steelers.

steel striker
09-16-2008, 07:41 AM
I think our defense will be the difference we win 24-10. Ben will play well and, fwp wi rush for 138.

HometownGal
09-16-2008, 08:25 AM
I'm a little hesitant to pick the Steelers in this one, as the Eagles have a pretty potent offense this year and other than that fumble, McNabb looks as good as he's ever looked thus far. Add Brian Westbrook to the mix who is the best all purpose back in the league imho. I wasn't that impressed with the Eagles D - there are some gaping holes in their secondary and I think if the Steelers can torch them early with a couple of TD's, the game is ours. Our OL has played pretty well 2 games into the season and I hope they continue to do so. Our D has to blitz more, though, and get to McNabb early and often to throw him off his game.

I'm going to be a homer here and pick the Steelers 31-24.

rbryan
09-16-2008, 08:37 AM
I wasn't impressed with either Philly or Dallas last night. IMO, the fireworks on offense are more of an indication that neither team can play defense. For all the talk of the NFC East being the toughest division, I can't help but wonder if they meant toughest division in Fantasy Football.

Steelers 31 Eagles 17

Steel_Bus_24
09-16-2008, 08:40 AM
To Me they look like a suped up version of the 2006 Ravens. Though a tad smaller....but they make up for that being faster and having better play calling

This game will tell us a lot about our team.

1. Is Ben truly at the next level(In terms of recognizing blitzes). Philly will be bringing the house against him and he better get it out quick.....Preferably to Heath "Big Money" Miller.....

If the Eagles showed one true opening...it was covering the TE

2. O-Line better step it up a notch...Though I think this game will be more on Ben and WRs beating the press quick enough

3.Can Coach L change our zone blitzes enough to slow their passing attack down??? McNabb will pick us apart with those cushions

4. This ties into 3...Woodley and Silverback have to step it up a notch and get to McNabb before he hurts us...We looked ok against the Browns but we need them to go up a level

of course good ST play too!!!

Can't make a score prediction yet

X-Terminator
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
The Steelers haven't beaten the Eagles in Philly since the Johnson administration, which I find absolutely amazing. 7 straight losses in all. The Eagles will bring the blitz early and often, which means Ben will have to use a lot of 3 step drops and get rid of the ball quickly, like he did against Houston. Miller and Santo should have nice days if that's the case - Santo runs the quick slant as well as anybody in the league. On D, they must get pressure on McNabb and when they get to him, get him on the ground. He is the only QB in the league with as much escape ability as Ben, maybe even more. The one good thing is that the Steelers have already played a team that runs the West Coast offense, so they should be familiar with the sets and the various routes.

Basically this game comes down to 2 things:

1. Can the OL contain the Eagles' heavy blitz package? If the Steelers' O is to have any success in the passing game, they have to.

2. Westbrook. Contain him and you pretty much shut down their offense.

I say the Steelers win a squeaker, 20-17, and end their losing streak in Philly.

revefsreleets
09-16-2008, 09:19 AM
This game, IMO is the litmus test for this whole season. Can we go on the road and beat a quality opponent? If so, the sky is the limit for this team. If not, all is not lost, and it depends on HOW we lose, but it will definitely let us know where we stand.

The key to me is the OL. If they play well, we win this game by 10-14 points. If not, it's a toss-up.

Edman
09-16-2008, 09:20 AM
It's easy to have a losing streak going a long way back when you don't have many games played there. Seven games since the 60's? The last time the Steelers played in Philly was a decade ago. 1997 Season in fact, which we lost.

The Penguins until their cup run a few months ago have not won a playoff series against the Flyers.

All streaks come to an end.

memphissteelergirl
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I agree with everyone that says this will be a huge test for the team. McNabb has looked pretty good in his first two games. The D will have to come at him early and often.

Steelers squeek by 34-27.

:tt02:

stlrtruck
09-16-2008, 09:46 AM
This game, IMO is the litmus test for this whole season. Can we go on the road and beat a quality opponent? If so, the sky is the limit for this team. If not, all is not lost, and it depends on HOW we lose, but it will definitely let us know where we stand.

I agree with you rev. This game is going to be the standard by which we can move forward with the season. Watching last night's game proved that McNabb can still throw the deep ball - accurately, however, when he's getting pressured, he doesn't throw it well (unlike Ben).

The eagles defense showed some aggression last night but it left some glaring weaknessess in the LBs and DBs when they do blitz. The Steelers line, RBs, and blocking TEs will be tested (most likely early and often). Weather the storm in the first quarter and we'll be fine.

I think Dallas took a lot out of Philly last night and that benefits the Steelers to the tune of 24-13

Lone Wolf
09-16-2008, 10:25 AM
Westbrook scares the crap out of me. If the Steelers let him run wild like he's done the past two weeks, they could be in trouble. Contain him and win the game.

Steelers 24
Eagles 17

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 10:31 AM
westbrook is just that kind of player that can hurt u in many ways,, now he is benefiting form the fact desean jackson is an amazing deep threat that he can get underneath and just run w/ the ball.. this will be a great test for our def when we go up against teams like sd,dallas, etc

scsteeler
09-16-2008, 10:33 AM
As I watched the Cowboys and Eagles play last night I wondered where these offenses that good or were the defenses that bad. I am inclined to say that these 2 defenses may have some holes in them that Steelers can take advantage of.

My keys to winning the game are simple, your run the ball well and defend the blitz with short quick pass plays in space that allow our guys to make plays which in turn slow down the blitzing and allow for bigger plays in the 2nd half of the game. If the Steelers do this and of course play good defense and put pressure on Mcnabb we win this one

Steelers - 24
Eagles - 20

SteelersinCA
09-16-2008, 11:16 AM
This will be a tough game, I'm just hoping I get the game out here. Steelers 20-17.

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 11:21 AM
Philly's D sucks ass. They'll score some points against us too, but we'll get more. 30-20 Steelers.

Penn St Steelers
09-16-2008, 11:38 AM
DeSean Jackson is becoming another weapon for the Eagles.....can Taylor or McFadden contain him, Westbrooke's running doesn't concern me as much as his ability to catch the rock out of the backfield, can we contain him in that department?

as many stated, they love to blitz, and with Samuel as 1 of their corners they can do more of it and let him man 2 man, but our WR's (Ward and Holmes) should have good days against their corners (Sheppard, Samuel) my concern is can our OL and our RB's pick up their blitz packgages and give Ben some time.....

all this being said, this is going to be a great game, and a battle....... hate to say it, but I see us losing.

Eagles 21
Steelers 17

don't bash me.........:banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2008, 11:57 AM
all this being said, this is going to be a great game, and a battle....... hate to say it, but I see us losing.

Eagles 21
Steelers 17

don't bash me.........:banging:

I dont doubt it. Road game against what looked like one of the best teams in the NFL last night. Lito Shepard, Samuel, Dawkins are good DB's and their front 7 is solid, despite the track meet last night.

The challenge will be if we can get to McNabb before he reads the blitz pickup and if Ben can stay upright and healthy against the pressure of Cole, Peterson, Bunkley. I think 27-23 Steelers.

WVUSteelers
09-16-2008, 12:11 PM
I will follow in the footsteps of what a lot of people are saying here, this game will not be a piece of cake. I would take our offense over the Eagles offense though. This is going to be a good test for our defense this week, and if we are able to hold them to under 20 or so points, we'll be gold. 24-17 us.

dcsteel5804
09-16-2008, 12:16 PM
Just to let everyone know, we did beat Philadelphia in the 04 season. It was when we been two undefeated teams back to back. First we beat the Eagles, then we beat the Patriots. It was Ben's rookie season. So, in fact, we have a 1 game winning streak at the moment. Also, I live in Philly, so I've heard that D-Jackson is hurt and might not play.

MACH1
09-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Its the Steelers first real test of the season.

Being a homer I pick the steelers by 3.

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 12:27 PM
well the eagles def has some key players that make it work.. most of them are in the secondary which helps them blitz more ppl as they can play real good man to man... hoepfully deshea will be healthy.. b/c we are gonna need 3 cb's out on the field for most of the game w/ philly likeing the passing game

Rotorhead
09-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Well I think our Def matches up well against their off, better than the browns. We have the perfect answer to Westbrook in Polamalu, he is faster and a good solid tackler that can cover Westbrook out of the backfield. Ike can cover the best WR's in the league so I am not so worried about getting beat deep. The only intangible would be McNabb running out of the backfield (remember Jax last year!) As long as we can pick up the Blitz and keep Ben off his back we win handily - 35 - 17

DACEB
09-16-2008, 02:04 PM
If I remember correctly, we pounded them with the ground game pretty good in preseason. That, IMO, will be key to winning this game. We need to run the ball and keep their offense off the field. The less our D is on the field, the fresher they are to keep up with McNabb and Westbrook.

This will be a good test, I'm confident that if it does turn into a shootout Ben can get it done. I would like to see us win, though, by running the ball and stellar defense.

Providence Steel
09-16-2008, 02:11 PM
Too many Homerian predictions on this thread. While you always want your team to win, I clearly see this as our first loss. Eagles Defense looks porous but their offense looks really good or at least did last night.

Our defense will have to take it up a few notches to keep this close. They are going to have to play like they did against Indy a few years back in the SB season. They can do it but I see...

Eagles 27
Steelers 17

Hope I'm completely out of my mind and wrong.

The_WARDen
09-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Just to let everyone know, we did beat Philadelphia in the 04 season. It was when we been two undefeated teams back to back. First we beat the Eagles, then we beat the Patriots. It was Ben's rookie season. So, in fact, we have a 1 game winning streak at the moment. Also, I live in Philly, so I've heard that D-Jackson is hurt and might not play.

where did you hear that? I live in Philly also (sadly) but have heard no such thing.

SteelMember
09-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Too many Homerian predictions on this thread. While you always want your team to win, I clearly see this as our first loss.

I get what your sayin', but why would you want to go in disappointed already? That takes all the fun out of it. I don't know if I would ever call a loss "before" the game.

Homerism...yes.
Do I think it will be a though game...yes.
Do I think we have a chance...always.

By your rational, it would be better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if we win.:noidea:
I get too emotionally invested to remain that laid back after kickoff.

Our defence is going to have to slow them down if we're going to have a chance in this one. I don't think we want to get in a shootout with anyone. I would guess no more than 21-24 for them, for us to win. Westbrook will need to be accounted for, whether out of the backfield or lined up outside. I don't think they give that to Troy exclusively, so there is going to have to be communication out there. Also, donovan can be pretty elusive, so it's gonna take some work to get sacks. I'm not too worried about our offense scoring, weather and turf permitting.

Anyway...

27-23 Good Guys. :thumbsup:

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 03:15 PM
I get what your sayin', but why would you want to go in disappointed already? That takes all the fun out of it. I don't know if I would ever call a loss "before" the game.

Homerism...yes.
Do I think it will be a though game...yes.
Do I think we have a chance...always.

By your rational, it would be better to have low expectations and be pleasantly surprised if we win.:noidea:

Consider the source. This is the same guy that spent several years preaching here and on another board that Willie sucks as a RB (http://forums.steelersfever.com/showthread.php?t=19147). First it was "Willie isn't a good RB if you take away his long runs," then it was "Willie sucks because he fumbles too much."

Providence Steel
09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Consider the source. This is the same guy that spent several years preaching here and on another board that Willie sucks as a RB. First it was "Willie isn't a good RB if you take away his long runs," then it was "Willie sucks because he fumbles too much."

Two years isn't several by my estimation and furthermore, if you want to quote me at least get it right. The word "sucks" was never used by me. Being critical of something doesn't mean it sucks. Sounds like you've got some self esteem issues outside of the fact that your an anal retentive, condescending ass.

Furthermore look at the stats over the last two years and break them down by run. Take away the long run and Willie is good for a two yard loss on third and short. He looks good this year but we are only two games into the season and have played 2 bad teams. As a fan I hope he does fantastic but I also applaud the pick of Mendenhall in the draft.

Being optimistic is great but I recall about 25 years of drought between our last two titles.

Can a person be BOTH realistic and predict that we win the division? Who, outside of a Homerian Steelers fan would pick the Steelers to win this game in Philly after the performance of the Eagles against St. Louis and in Dallas?

steelreserve
09-16-2008, 03:41 PM
Our defense is going to kick their ass all day. We ought to beat them by at least two touchdowns. 27-10 Steelers.

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Can a person be BOTH realistic and predict that we win the division? Who, outside of a Homerian Steelers fan would pick the Steelers to win this game in Philly after the performance of the Eagles against St. Louis and in Dallas?

That's just it - you're NOT realistic - you're negative and all you do is complain. It gets old. Can a person that doesn't bitch and doom-and-gloom nonstop not be a Kool-Aid-drinking homer?

MACH1
09-16-2008, 03:46 PM
Two years isn't several by my estimation and furthermore, if you want to quote me at least get it right. The word "sucks" was never used by me. Being critical of something doesn't mean it sucks. Sounds like you've got some self esteem issues outside of the fact that your an anal retentive, condescending ass.

Furthermore look at the stats over the last two years and break them down by run. Take away the long run and Willie is good for a two yard loss on third and short. He looks good this year but we are only two games into the season and have played 2 bad teams. As a fan I hope he does fantastic but I also applaud the pick of Mendenhall in the draft.

Being optimistic is great but I recall about 25 years of drought between our last two titles.

I'll bet you picked the browns too. :rolleyes:

Providence Steel
09-16-2008, 03:52 PM
That's just it - you're NOT realistic - you're negative and all you do is complain. It gets old. Can a person that doesn't bitch and doom-and-gloom nonstop not be a Kool-Aid-drinking homer?

So predicting that we win the division is Doom and Gloom and completely unrealistic?

Boy ...
You really hear only what you want to don't you?

rich4eagle
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Eagles D is OK and offense is good and Steelers are good both sides

Will be a good game results will reflect how the ball bounces as always

Go Steelers...........Big Ben is a stud

steelreserve
09-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Who, outside of a Homerian Steelers fan would pick the Steelers to win this game in Philly after the performance of the Eagles against St. Louis and in Dallas?

What do you mean? Philly is 1-1. Their loss was against a good team, but you know what? We're a good team. We can definitely beat them.

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 03:55 PM
So predicting that we win the division is Doom and Gloom and completely unrealistic?

Boy ...
You really hear only what you want to don't you?

Yeah, I heard I'm a Kool-Aid drinking homer because I picked the Steelers to beat the Eagles. Sorry, the Eagles D showed me NOTHING last night - that's why I'm picking the Steelers.

The_WARDen
09-16-2008, 04:26 PM
This is an Eagles team that had unbelievable weapons in 2004 with TO, Westbrook, McDumpoff and the Steelers cleaned their clocks 27-3 with a rookie QB.

The bEagle are soft. Sure they are flashy but the defense is undersized and you can wear them down. Smack them in the mouth enough times and they fold especially their Choke artist at QB who came up small once again with the game on the line last night.

Until the bEagles show me they can out-physical a good AFC opponent (Andy has a horrible record against AFC playoff teams), then the Steelers win this game.

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 04:36 PM
this will be a high scoring game.. philly will make sure of that

warddj86
09-16-2008, 04:40 PM
Oh well, two straight weeks where I could watch the Steelers play was too good to be true, but this weekend it's at 4:15, the same time as the Browns, so I won't see it.

If you find a stream, let me know, that'd be great

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-16-2008, 04:47 PM
It comes down to two things:

How many points will our defense give up? I say no way they let more than two touchdowns. It's possible ST gives up a TD though. I do think the Eagles will be impossible to contain absolutely, so I'll give them two TDs and a field goal. Eagles: 17

How many points can our offense put on the board? I think two hard fought touchdowns against a good D are about right. I can also see Holmes breaking loose on a play or Willie hammering a home run in, so I'm going with two tough TDs, one explosive one, and a Jeff Reed guarantee. Steelers: 24

24-17, you heard it here first.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-16-2008, 04:56 PM
Who will sell more cheesesteak?? Pat's or Gino's??

Texasteel
09-16-2008, 05:12 PM
[QUOTE=Providence Steel;437006]Furthermore look at the stats over the last two years and break them down by run. Take away the long run and Willie is good for a two yard loss on third and short. He looks good this year but we are only two games into the season and have played 2 bad teams. As a fan I hope he does fantastic but I also applaud the pick of Mendenhall in the draft. QUOTE]

If you take away the 2 and 3 yard gains, Willie has a hell of a yards per carry. You can't take away part of a mans game and say this is what the guy really is. Thats not realistic.
As far as being a homer is conserned, please pass the kool-aid.
Steelers 27
Eagels 23

Edman
09-16-2008, 07:14 PM
Look who's back. It's "Willie Parker is no good" Providence Steel.

Take away Willie's long runs and he sucks. Willie doesn't get consistent yardage. Willie is too small. Willie gets stuffed too much. Willie fumbles too much. Willie stockpiles yardage on bad teams. Willie invented HIV.

I wonder if Providence Steel watched Steelers/Jags December game last year, when Willie slashed what was supposed to be a pretty stout Jaguar Defense for 100 yards on 14 carries, but had to abandon him because we fell behind. I doubt it.

revefsreleets
09-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Bravo! I saw it, but I wanted to be nice...

The Duke
09-16-2008, 07:54 PM
:cheer:

Providence Steel is back!!

:coffee:

anyway...I see the game coming down to the eagles defense. we have seen they can be good before, but this season they've been bad. is samuel helping or making them worse?

27-17

and that's cause they rest starters

austinfrench76
09-16-2008, 08:58 PM
Call me crazy but, a highly emotional road game in which they lose AND in a short week for them Steelers 28-3!

lilyoder6
09-16-2008, 09:12 PM
i think if we can shut down brian westbrook or even slow him down, we take away bout 75-80% of the off.. our def secondary is going to have to play smart

PalmerSteel
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
call me negative, but there is no way in hell we blow these guys out or win by more than a TD, if we do win. they played arguably the best team in the nfc, some the nfl, down to the last play. at philly. after a loss. high power offense with a healthy mcnabb and a very grungy D. our 1st 2 games are gonna be like childs play compared to this one IMO. definately time to man up on this one. this is our first REAL test of the season with an actual contender and not a pretender (aka texans and brownies).

fansince'76
09-16-2008, 09:25 PM
they played arguably the best team in the nfc, some the nfl, down to the last play.

What I saw were two crap defenses that would be fortunate to stop any halfway decent offense, but hey, that's just me.

LVSteelersfan
09-16-2008, 10:06 PM
I am hoping they come off the Monday night game flat. And that the Steelers actually show some gumption on the road. If they play like they did on the road last year, they are going to get beat because there is no room for error with this team. Westbrook is shifty and McNabb is the kind of QB that always picks up those third and longs by running it on us. I don't say we will lose, but we better be ready to play out of the box.

X-Terminator
09-16-2008, 10:13 PM
BTW, if DeSean Jackson doesn't play, that only helps the Steelers, because then they'd be down to Jason Avant and Greg Lewis as their top wideouts, neither of whom should strike fear into anyone. At that point, you pressure McNabb and try to contain Westbrook by covering him with Troy and either B-Mac or Townsend, who I believe is expected to play this week. On top of that, Jackson being out also helps on special teams since he returns punts.

Call me a homer, but I strongly believe the Steelers can and will win this game. Unlike some people who sound like a broken record...

Black@Gold Forever32
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
Funny the Giants defense didn't stop anybody and looked horrible the first two games last year...Their defense turned it to be pretty good last year I think....lol

I agree both the Cowboys and Eagles defense looked like crap last night......But that doesn't mean the Eagles D will suck all year....Jim Johnson is a very good DC in his own right and likes to blitz.....The Steelers OL has to be up to the challenge and give Ben time in the pocket...

I think its going to be a very good and hard fought game....But then again the Steelers could give the Eagles a butt kicking like 2004....Its the NFL anything can happen and that is why I love the NFL...It can be very unpredictable at times...

I would like to see a ton of quick slants to Holmes this game..Perfect way to combat the blitz....Holmes can take it to the house on any given play...I also would like to see some Lawrence Timmons...He is the skill set to matchup with Westbrook as a WR out of the back field....Plus is a very good blitzer....which can only aid both Woodley and Harrison as they try to kick the snot out of McNabb....

Steelers win 30-24

millwalldavey
09-17-2008, 06:47 AM
I HATE THOSE CROW EFF-TARD BASTICHES!

Steel Pit
09-17-2008, 06:55 AM
Steelers 27

Eagles 17

DACEB
09-17-2008, 07:55 AM
I also would like to see some Lawrence Timmons...He is the skill set to matchup with Westbrook

My thoughts as well. I would think that Timmons gets more playing time than Foote this week. The D could use his speed against McNabb & Westbrook.

Boomerang
09-17-2008, 07:56 AM
Steelers 20

Budgies 16

:tt02::tt02:

#1LambertFan
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Alright the routing of Houston, a much better team than the Rams (and the Steelers didn't play their starters for half the game), and the 10-6 victory over a Browns team that put everything they had on the line for one game, the inability to communicate to Big Ben in the Browns game, and the the worst weather I've seen since last years Miami- Pittsburgh game. Westbrook (Waldo) is in some kind of pain seeing as how he was getting looked at every 5 minutes. Those skills players have to be awfully tired after all that running on Monday night, where the Steelers seem so youthful, and energetic. Not only that but the dramatic changes in the O-line and the introduction of Rashard Mendenhall and Mewelde Moore to take some of the load off of Willie. Oh and guess what. 1 injury and thats Brett Keisel, a player who is just as good as his backup. I just don't see anything going for the Eagles into this game. Our running gem will make us and break them. They couldn't stop Barber, How will they stop a hot Willie Parker. Oh and teams who play a division rivalry on a monday night have a tendency of not performing the next week.

#1LambertFan
09-17-2008, 12:42 PM
Steel City- 28 "brotherly love"-13

Providence Steel
09-17-2008, 12:50 PM
Look who's back. It's "Willie Parker is no good" Providence Steel.

Take away Willie's long runs and he sucks. Willie doesn't get consistent yardage. Willie is too small. Willie gets stuffed too much. Willie fumbles too much. Willie stockpiles yardage on bad teams. Willie invented HIV.

I wonder if Providence Steel watched Steelers/Jags December game last year, when Willie slashed what was supposed to be a pretty stout Jaguar Defense for 100 yards on 14 carries, but had to abandon him because we fell behind. I doubt it.

Wow...dude.
That's pretty sad. Not even the "Team President" can quote me correctly. :help:

cubanstogie
09-17-2008, 01:12 PM

What is the point of picking and choosing the carries Willie gets to count in determining if he is a good back. Why would you want to take the big play out. Do you take his big run away from the SB 2 years ago, and say he had a bad game. He is not a short yardage back by definition. Not many backs can do it all at the highest level. Its like saying Ben holds the ball too long. Which he does occasionally, but he also turns them into big plays as well. you have to take the good with the bad. I would love to see someone step up as the short yardage back, but until someone does Willie gets it by default.

Rotorhead
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
I dont think I am being a homer, it is just a perfect setup game against the Iggles. As far as Homerism, well I said before the Clowns game that this game would be our first real test.
Looking at all the factors:
1. Short week off an emotional loss
2. Steelers have a far better Def than Dallas displayed last week
3. Iggles blitz (which is bad for us) but cant def the middle of the field where we have arguably the best TE in the league
4. We showed the world the we can beat the rush for the first half of the Texans game with the 3 step drop. (see #3)
5. I believe we can take away Westbrook for most of the game with Timmons, Woodley and Troy.
6. We have the weapons to win a shootout, and the Def to win a low scoring game.

I just feel really good about this game, better than last week for sure.

Glace
09-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Yes, contain Westbrook, but also contain McNabb. He looked good when he had to tuck and run, and it bugs the crap out of me when guys get their hands and arms around him and he breaks loose.....smack him in the mouth, wrap him up, and bring him down.

He'll make mistakes if he's pressured.....and I hope our defensive backs are smart enough to pick up the ball when their receiver showboats and drops it before the end zone.

fansince'76
09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Wow...dude.
That's pretty sad. Not even the "Team President" can quote me correctly. :help:

Take away Willie's long runs and he sucks.

Willie doesn't get consistent yardage.

Willie gets stuffed too much.

Take away the long run and Willie is good for a two yard loss on third and short.

Willie is too small.

Willie fumbles too much.

I'm stating now that the Steelers will loose games this season...important games, as a result of badly timed Willie Parker fumbles. I don't like the guy as the starting back. Too small and fumbles WAY too much.

Willie stockpiles yardage on bad teams.

He looks good this year but we are only two games into the season and have played 2 bad teams.

Willie invented HIV.

Edman paraphrased you pretty damn accurately on six out of seven, anyway. Close enough, "dude." :coffee:

X-Terminator
09-17-2008, 02:43 PM
Providence Steel = Owned.

Steelman16
09-17-2008, 05:59 PM
Well if it ain't my old pal Providence Steel! :chuckle:

I see you're still on your Willie love-fest. Keep it up bro, your input is greatly valued.

:popcorn:

:coffee:

xfl2001fan
09-17-2008, 06:19 PM
What is the point of picking and choosing the carries Willie gets to count in determining if he is a good back.

Just remember, if he can pick and choose plays to exclude...then why can't you?

Add up every big play Willie had last year. Let's go with a round number of 10 yard gain. Add em all up. Remember that number. For now, I'll say it was 30 for the purpose of illustration.

Then go back...and take away 30 of his worst plays instead.

Watch his YPC skyrocket and say that is why Willie is the greatest back ever. LOL

The guy you quoted is a stooge. Don't justify further comments from him by enabling him. It'll just end with him acting the stooge further and you feeling frustrated.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Take out Adrian Peterson's long runs and he sucks too.

Prediction ....Pittsburgh 26 Philly 20.........Providence ..zero.

revefsreleets
09-17-2008, 07:07 PM
If Willie keeps showing patience and waiting for his blockers to open lanes for him, he's going to win the rushing title and amass 1800-2000 yards this year...maybe 15-20 TD's as well.

I have been monumentally impressed with him so far...different back then last year, and he wasn't all that bad in '07 to begin with.

Texasteel
09-17-2008, 08:22 PM
If Willie keeps showing patience and waiting for his blockers to open lanes for him, he's going to win the rushing title and amass 1800-2000 yards this year...maybe 15-20 TD's as well.

I have been monumentally impressed with him so far...different back then last year, and he wasn't all that bad in '07 to begin with.

Such blatant optimism will not be tolerate.

#1LambertFan
09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
Too many Homerian predictions on this thread. While you always want your team to win, I clearly see this as our first loss. Eagles Defense looks porous but their offense looks really good or at least did last night.

Our defense will have to take it up a few notches to keep this close. They are going to have to play like they did against Indy a few years back in the SB season. They can do it but I see...

Eagles 27
Steelers 17

Hope I'm completely out of my mind and wrong.

Predicting a loss is nothing to give anyone s*** about, however giving them 10 points on us is just out there. I dont think we will lose by a 10 point margin at all this year. Just think with a Defense that is looking like they do in Philly, Willie, Rashard, and Mewelde should be able to run circles around them giving us a great time of possesion and our defense looks even better this year than they did last year. Expect a big game from our bookends if McNabb tries to be slick and sit in his pocket as long as Dallas let him.

fansince'76
09-17-2008, 08:34 PM
Predicting a loss is nothing to give anyone s*** about....

Wasn't giving him shit about his prediction. WAS giving it to him for calling anybody with the "gall" to predict a Steelers win nothing but a homer. Philly's defense sucks - there's a very good reason they finished last season at 8-8 and are only 1-1 right now and it was on display Monday night in the form of 40+ points being put up on the scoreboard against them. Just so happens Dallas' D sucks almost as badly as theirs. Because of that, I think we have a very good chance of winning Sunday, and I don't appreciate being accused of drinking the B&G Kool-Aid for saying so.

#1LambertFan
09-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Wasn't giving him shit about his prediction. WAS giving it to him for calling anybody with the "gall" to predict a Steelers win nothing but a homer. Philly's defense sucks - there's a very good reason they finished last season at 8-8 and are only 1-1 right now and it was on display Monday night in the form of 40+ points being put up on the scoreboard against them. Just so happens Dallas' D sucks almost as badly as theirs. Because of that, I think we have a very good chance of winning Sunday, and I don't appreciate being accused of drinking the B&G Kool-Aid for saying so.

I'm just trying to say 2 possible outcomes of the game. Our D owns..... Enough said, or we go to a shootout like many say in this thread but I do believe the Eagles are tired after a Monday night rivalry game. I think its Homerian to say that the Eagles have a "sure" win. There has not been such a thing as a sure win against Pittsburgh since the mid 70's. The steelers have obtained a reputation of upsetting and thats why we are both the most loved and most hated team in the NFL (Patriots discluded(they don't count in my opinions anymore.))

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-17-2008, 08:49 PM
Such blatant optimism will not be tolerate.

Dont be a hater.

lilyoder6
09-17-2008, 11:06 PM
i am impressed with willie's game as well so far.. just keep up the work

WWIIOwheelz
09-17-2008, 11:47 PM
I predict that Lamar Woodley will have a sack that will make season highlights. That guy is on the brink of very special things.

ricksteelers55
09-18-2008, 04:43 AM
ill say steelers win 17-7,with a 45 td run by Mendenhall even though he'll get only 4 carries

Parker wont have a 100 yd game for the 1st time of the season(i say something like 92 on 23 carries) but Ben will put up some good stats as usual

Go Steelers

SCSTILLER
09-18-2008, 10:22 AM
I will say 34-24 us!

Westbrook will give us fits, but the D will hold and keep Donovan in check. Big day for Santonio, I see a 100+ yard game from him. And Miller has a big game also. Hope Hines can do the Eagle again!

lilyoder6
09-18-2008, 11:57 AM
i would like to see mendenhall get his 1st td of his career on a long run as well... and ben put up some numbers this week

Cunningham_12
09-18-2008, 12:05 PM
Hey Steelers fans,

Just thought I'd see how the fans here felt about this week. Looks like there is a lot of healthy optimism. Should be a great game.

Make no mistake - - Eagles fans are NOT taking this game lightly. We expect a hard-fought battle and here's hoping there are no injuries.

With that said, I just wanted to make a few observations:

*McNabb is healthy and he looks good. As he goes, the Eagles will go this season. I say this first because when he's healthy and playing confidently, he's as good as there is. With that said, if we struggle from the start, he could start throwing some into the dirt.

*Eagles are getting Reggie Brown back this week, which adds another deep threat with DeSean Jackson. Add in some solid play from unexpected players (G. Lewis, H. Baskett, J. Avant) and you should expect the Eagles to come out throwing, just like against STL and DAL. Don't be surprised to see 75/25 ratio in the first half. Sometimes it drives me nuts, but this is Andy's way.

*Eagles will use a lot of trick plays. Probably even more than were used in the DAL game. Expect to see some Lorenzo Booker in this game, just a hunch here - but I expect to see some formations with both B-West and Booker. Booker hasn't shown much in the reg. season so far, but he has talent and had an impressive summer. I have a feeling he gets some significant action on Sunday.

*Westbrook is playing great. Sometimes his best contribution is simply attracting so much attention. I expect just that kind of game again. However, I notice some of you think Westy is more of a playmaker in the passing game. Not the case. He is a tough, tough runner, and if we build an early lead - he is capable of getting us 1st downs on the ground.

*Our defense is better than it showed against DAL. I know that sounds like an easy thing to say, but after watching the tape again - I wasn't as mad at them as I thought I'd be. The long TD to Owens was on a double move against Dawkins, it was a bad play call by Jim Johnson. Another TD was a kickoff return in which two Eagles were blatantly held. That's not making excuses, the Cowboys scored 41 points: period. But anybody who was watching that game could sense that both offenses were looking for big play and just digging out there. It was a "I can do better" type of game. These kinds of games will always happen. Both defense are better than they showed. All things considered, we need better production from our front 4, if we get that, we are a REAL dangerous defense. Trent Cole is getting constant double teams and the other ends aren't getting it done. I'm hoping that changes.

*L.J. Smith stayed in to block a LOT against DAL. That was the reason for him being limited to 1 catch. We used a lot of different blocking schemes to buy McNabb time. I expect that again, however, if our O.L. gets it done, don't be surprised to see L.J. have a big game.

Good luck this week, Steeler fans!

I expect a great game:

Eagles 24
Steelers 20

fansince'76
09-18-2008, 12:17 PM
Good luck this week, Steeler fans!

I expect a great game:

Eagles 24
Steelers 20

Welcome to the board, Cunningham_12! Here's to a great game with no injuries to either side. Good luck - but not too much luck! :drink:

Cunningham_12
09-18-2008, 12:53 PM
Since I've already talked up my Eagles, here's 5 keys for Steelers:

1.) Hit us early. If the Steelers score first, it puts pressure on the offense for the first time this season. No joke. First game started in a frenzy, no pressure the rest of the way. The DAL game, we were the underdogs and came out firing, no real pressure. So if I'm a Steeler fan, that's my biggest key. Score first. Force the Eagles to play from behind.

2.) Run the ball. We're solid against the run, but you beat this defense by wearing it down. The T.O.P. is going to be critical in this game. You don't want to underestimate our secondary: it is one of the best in the NFL from top to bottom. All of that considered, if you're able to run the ball effectively, the passing game will follow.

3.) Don't over-compensate for B-West. That isn't a knock on Westy, he is one of the best in the game - but sometimes Westbrook's best asset is his ability to get so much attention that it opens up everything else. Which leads to the next key- -

4. Stop the big play! If you're able get pressure on McNabb and shut down these wide receivers, you're halfway home. The Eagles are looking for the big play at least once on every drive. Be ready. And don't fall for the flea flicker, with Reggie Brown back healthy, I would expect them to try it sooner or later.

5.) Turnovers. It's a key in every game. Win this battle, and you're in good shape. McNabb won't thrown many INTs, but I'd hit our rookie returners HARD if I were PIT.

Should be a great game!

p.s.

What do you guys worry about most? What do you consider the weakest link on this team? What is your main concern on offense? Defense?

MasterOfPuppets
09-18-2008, 01:17 PM
Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has a 13-2 career record against NFC teams. The Steelers are 25-2 when Roethlisberger has a 100-plus passer rating, and the quarterback is aiming for a fourth consecutive game with a 100-plus passer rating. ... The Eagles have not lost to the Steelers at home since 1965. ... During World War II, the Eagles and Steelers were forced to merge together for the 1943 season. Though officially known as the Eagles, the combo team was often referred to as the "Steagles." (from nfl.com)

dcsteel5804
09-18-2008, 02:18 PM
where did you hear that? I live in Philly also (sadly) but have heard no such thing.

It was on 610 WIP, but apparently, they were wrong (Angelo is a liar, so I shouldnt have believed it)

Rotorhead
09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Cunningham_12

I dont think we are worried about Westy running on us, nobody does and nobody has for several years. We tend to play soft coverage and the only real place Westbrook will hurt us is out of the backfield in the passing game. I would be surprised if he gets 100yds on the ground. If we can get our blitz packages going early, McNabb will have to get rid of it fast, if not then it will be a good passing night for him. I don't think we are too worried about the receiving threat (except for Westbrook) cause Ike is one of the top corners in the league. The west coast works well against us due to our soft coverage and large cushions, but it stops the big play threat. I dont think your TE's will be a big factor in the passing game as our OLB's are excellent rushers and will require help to stop (look for an early adjustment by your guys if our biltz is on) I guess the biggest worry is your blitzing . . . keeping ppl off our QB is the biggest concern. Westbrook would have been a concern last season, but with Timmons, Woodley and a healthy Troy we have the speed to keep him contained.

iloveben7
09-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Of course the Steelers win 27-20

revefsreleets
09-18-2008, 07:27 PM
Thanks for the perspective from the other side of the state. One question, though: Why would anyone think the Eagles fans would take this game lightly? We may be the best team you play all year, certainly the most physical.

Westbrook is going to have tough sledding against the Steelers D running the ball. No knock on him, just, well, that's pretty much the way it is. But out in the flats and as a safety valve? He could do much damage...we'll see...

Cunningham_12
09-19-2008, 04:07 PM
Cunningham_12

I dont think we are worried about Westy running on us, nobody does and nobody has for several years. We tend to play soft coverage and the only real place Westbrook will hurt us is out of the backfield in the passing game. I would be surprised if he gets 100yds on the ground. If we can get our blitz packages going early, McNabb will have to get rid of it fast, if not then it will be a good passing night for him. I don't think we are too worried about the receiving threat (except for Westbrook) cause Ike is one of the top corners in the league. The west coast works well against us due to our soft coverage and large cushions, but it stops the big play threat. I dont think your TE's will be a big factor in the passing game as our OLB's are excellent rushers and will require help to stop (look for an early adjustment by your guys if our biltz is on) I guess the biggest worry is your blitzing . . . keeping ppl off our QB is the biggest concern. Westbrook would have been a concern last season, but with Timmons, Woodley and a healthy Troy we have the speed to keep him contained.

I think you'll see our TE's staying in to block quite a bit. We did that a lot against DAL's 3-4, we'll do the same against you guys, I'm sure. That's one nice thing about playing DAL last wk- - we should be ready to face a 3-4. However, your defense scares me more than DAL.

You absolutely do have the speed to contain Westbrook. I wasn't saying you should expect 100 yards, I'm just saying that he is very underrated as a runner. And by *runner*, I don't mean his elusiveness (which is obviously his best trait), I'm talking about pure, up the middle, follow your blocks and grind - he can do that. He can be very physical and uses the stiff arm very well. Can he against PIT? We'll see. But I know he's capable. Andy is pretty good at finding different ways to get him the ball so that he can have some space. If we're able to build an early lead, we'll find out pretty quick. I expect the Eagles to use Buckhalter a lot if that's the case.

How happy are you with your offensive line? Or are you concerned with the blitzing primarily because we blitz quite often?

Thanks for the perspective from the other side of the state. One question, though: Why would anyone think the Eagles fans would take this game lightly? We may be the best team you play all year, certainly the most physical.

Westbrook is going to have tough sledding against the Steelers D running the ball. No knock on him, just, well, that's pretty much the way it is. But out in the flats and as a safety valve? He could do much damage...we'll see...

I didn't mean to suggest anybody would take this game lightly, I was just saying it to show respect. Every Eagles fan I know (and I know some wacky Eagles fans) is cautiously optimistic and understand PIT is one of the best. I picked you guys to go to the SB before Brady got hurt.

As for Westy, like I said above, I'm just hoping Andy (and Marty) draw up a good game-plan for him to have success. Our O-Line likes to mash (what O-line doesn't) and I think we'll have some success running if we get the passing game going. I'll be bold here and predict he gets 100 on the ground. :popcorn:

But like many others, I'm "cautiously optimistic". I'll be sure to check back after the game - win or lose.

stlrtruck
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
While Dallas may run the 3-4, they definitely don't have the defensive personnel that we have. They don't have the "TROY FACTOR". He alone can mess up a QBs read.

Borski
09-20-2008, 03:03 AM
I think it will be a close game.

Steelers 27
Eagles 20

Elvis
09-20-2008, 06:09 AM
I think this is the week that our secondary is put to the true test of the early season. If we dont get pressure on McNabb they are gonna get burned time after time. Alot rides on how good our running game is as well, if willie and co. can get it going early and keep the eagles off the field we can win this game no doubt in my mind.

Eagles 17
Steelers 14

PS
OT Shawn Andrews the starter on the left side for the Eagles will not play vs Steelers on sunday.... wonder if Harrison is licking his chops?

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 01:06 PM
It wont be any easy game by any measure and the dallas game proves that one. Dallas has a stand still defense while the Steelers are more exotic and are always moving around. Who ever plays the better defense will win and im not feeling a score fest by any chance with the eyes on the defenses.

The Eagles im sure will blitz like most teams to get to Ben, but the TE's and Parker should see a big day and a close win for the Steelers!
Steelers-17
Eagles-14

Borski
09-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I think this is the week that our secondary is put to the true test of the early season. If we dont get pressure on McNabb they are gonna get burned time after time. Alot rides on how good our running game is as well, if willie and co. can get it going early and keep the eagles off the field we can win this game no doubt in my mind.

Eagles 17
Steelers 14

PS
OT Shawn Andrews the starter on the left side for the Eagles will not play vs Steelers on sunday.... wonder if Harrison is licking his chops?

Just wondering, did you mean to reverse that score? Cause it sounds like you think the Steelers will win.

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 08:37 PM
maybe we'll see a lot of screen plays tom to offset the blitzes

Cunningham_12
09-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Good game, guys. I'd be ecstatic about the win right now if I wasn't worried about B-West.. I guess I was a bit off on my 100 yards prediction, yeah? If he misses substantial time, we're in trouble. Easily our best weapon.

I guess what it came down to was what most of you were worried about: blitzing. Too much pressure on Ben.

Other than that, a pretty good defensive battle all around. 15-6. That's 21 total points. Really could have gone either way considering you were only down 6 in the last chunk of the 4th.

Do me a favor, guys - - BEAT THE REST OF THE NFC EAST! I have no doubt you guys will rebound. Good luck the rest of the way!

See you in the Super Bowl? Here's hoping.

stillers4me
09-21-2008, 09:30 PM
Congrats on the win. Hopefully we can get this corrected and pay you back in the Big Game.

Classy post from a classy fan........ :hatsoff:

Cunningham_12
09-21-2008, 09:35 PM
Congrats on the win. Hopefully we can get this corrected and pay you back in the Big Game.

Classy post from a classy fan........ :hatsoff:

I have no doubt you guys will get this corrected. There are plenty of things you can take from this game. Had our defense not played out of their minds, everybody would be talking about how you shut down one of the top offenses in their home. You played well enough to win and came up just short. It took an A+ defensive effort for us to just barely pull it out.

You guys are easily the most physical team we'll play ALL YEAR. I'm very happy that this game is over. However, I'm still crossing my fingers on Westbrook. As huge of a win as this was, if he's out - we're in big, big trouble.

p.s. when McNabb left the game I was ready to kick over the coffee table. Thank God we didn't lose both!

revefsreleets
09-21-2008, 09:40 PM
That last strip of Ben was crazy. You just don't see defenders play like that beyond the amateur level (when they just play for the love of the game).

I have no hesitation in saying that the Eagles are the best team in the NFL right now (provided Westbrook comes back soon). They are solid in all 3 phases of the game, and McNabb is just on FIRE.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 09:45 PM
That last strip of Ben was crazy. You just don't see defenders play like that beyond the amateur level (when they just play for the love of the game).

I have no hesitation in saying that the Eagles are the best team in the NFL right now (provided Westbrook comes back soon). They are solid in all 3 phases of the game, and McNabb is just on FIRE.

I am not sure about the NFL.

THey sure were the b est team on the field today. Matched pretty well defensively, but not offensively.

Hey Cunningham...

thanks for the classy posts.

revefsreleets
09-21-2008, 09:52 PM
I am not sure about the NFL.

THey sure were the b est team on the field today. Matched pretty well defensively, but not offensively.

Hey Cunningham...

thanks for the classy posts.

Who looks better? Dallas? Maybe. That's it.

Steel_Bus_24
09-21-2008, 10:14 PM
To Me they look like a suped up version of the 2006 Ravens. Though a tad smaller....but they make up for that being faster and having better play calling

This game will tell us a lot about our team.

1. Is Ben truly at the next level(In terms of recognizing blitzes). Philly will be bringing the house against him and he better get it out quick.....Preferably to Heath "Big Money" Miller.....

If the Eagles showed one true opening...it was covering the TE

2. O-Line better step it up a notch...Though I think this game will be more on Ben and WRs beating the press quick enough

3.Can Coach L change our zone blitzes enough to slow their passing attack down??? McNabb will pick us apart with those cushions

4. This ties into 3...Woodley and Silverback have to step it up a notch and get to McNabb before he hurts us...We looked ok against the Browns but we need them to go up a level

of course good ST play too!!!

Can't make a score prediction yet

Well we failed miserably in those areas....:banging:

The Ravens are going to be just as pissed if not more then the eagles to lay a beatdown on Ben for last years MNF.

They've never had any respect for Ben and we'll see the same stuff again this week.

We better perform better in those areas or it'll be another repeat of today or worse