PDA

View Full Version : Troy gets some praise....

stillers4me
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Polamalu is back

It was one of the details that could have set the table for what arguably turned out to be the biggest play in Pittsburgh’s 10-6 victory over Cleveland last Sunday. Browns tight end Kellen Winslow tried to bait hyper-aggressive Steelers’ safety Troy Polamalu with a quick outside move before he broke up field: The classic double-move. Polamalu didn’t bite, and the pass went incomplete as Winslow had little room to maneuver and catch a not-so-perfect throw from Derek Anderson.

Polamalu thought the Browns were going to attempt the double-move again and he positioned himself for the second cut, a disciplined tack for a player seemingly always eager to deliver the big hit. The receiver never made the second move and "the ball came right to me," Polamalu said. Had he jumped the first move, the Steelers might not be among the handful of unbeaten teams in the NFL.

It was Polamalu’s second interception of the season, giving him twice as many picks as he had during an injury-marred 2007. Though he won’t say he’s back to his Pro Bowl form, he could be on his way. His re-emergence (seven tackles, three pass breakups) is allowing defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau to vary his already multi-faceted defense even more because teams have to again account for Polamalu. Once again he’s lining up at every level of the defense, feigning man coverage and dropping into zone and running step for step with receivers in one-on-one coverages.

"We’re fresh," Polamalu said. "Coach LeBeau is changing things up a little bit this season and we’re keeping the offense on their toes."

While the modest Polamalu referenced the plural about the Steelers being fresh, it’s actually him who is finally physically vibrant. Polamalu reluctantly missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury suffered after months of alternative training methods in California. He wouldn’t admit the down time benefitted him, but said "We’re 2-0. Thank God I’m healthy right now. I guess I wouldn’t want to change a thing."

I don't know about you, but I'm ecstatic about Troy being "Troy" again!
Here's to more of it! :drink:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story;jsessionid=A5173106DC19A9D3672A01DDD33678A2? id=09000d5d80ae4d6d&template=with-video&confirm=true

CanadianSteel
09-18-2008, 02:54 PM
Yes you can see he makes a big difference when he is palying at full speed. Also nice to see his not up dancing around at the line of scrimage as much, and just carrying out his assigment each play.....

Galax Steeler
09-19-2008, 02:41 AM
He is starting to look like the Troy of old I just hope he stays healthy all year long.

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-20-2008, 12:42 PM
He definitely looks like the dominant player he was a couple seasons ago. With Woodley coming into his own as well, our defense should be near the tops again at the end of the season.

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 01:57 PM
ya after these first two weeks as of now Troy is back! He seems to have no lingering injuries of any sort and he is out there making the ridiculous plays he made three years ago. Not just his 2 picks, but the pressure and the small plays he makes really makes a difference for the Steelers and lets hope for a Pro- Bowl spot for him!

hizmi
09-20-2008, 04:50 PM
Our defense certainly seems to be more dynamic this year with troy coming back to form, Smith healthy, and Woodley and Timmons geting PT.

As good as the D was last year, I never felt like they dominated physically, at least against the better teams like Jax, NE, Cle.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-20-2008, 06:14 PM
I hope they let him train his own way every offseason

Hapa
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
He's a frickin psycho. He's always throwing his body into things. That's why he's so good

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 07:32 PM
with troy being able to move around like he does and still makes plays like he does.. thats what makes our d so good