PDA

View Full Version : Who's afraid of the Big Bad Eagles Offense!!!

moedap
09-19-2008, 01:40 PM
All of the analyst picking the Eagles this Sunday are using that Dallas game and McNabbs improved health to justify picking the Eagles over our Steelers. I can only assume they are assuming that since Dallas runs a 3-4 and we run a 3-4 McNabb can have the same type of success against us. Making that assumption they would also have to believe our offense cant put up points but I wont attack that assumption. I'll tackle their belief that the Eagles will have their way with our defense. The eagles offensive scheme does not do well against Dick Lebeaus 3-4 defense.

The eagles rarely use motion in their offense. McNabb likes to get a read on the defense and if there is too much motion he has to readjust those reads. That plays into DL's scheme of moving Troy P around.

I have heard everyone call the Eagles offense a west coast variation and everyone knows the Steelers achilles heal is that 3 step drop and release to the slant offense:blah:. The only problem with assuming our defense is going to be in trouble because of this is that the eagles dont run that type of offense. Dont get me wrong if the CB's play off 7 yards McNabb will throw that quick out/hook to the wideouts but that isnt how they like to move the ball. They use a lot feint playaction(I call it feint because the eagles have no run game) with the RB's running delayed routes. Westbrook breaks ankles when he comes out into the flats on a delayed route(The LB's who drop back covering the middle have to come up to make the tackle). Thats where they kill teams. They love to have the Tight End run thoses delayed routes also. The eagles OL is very good which enables them to have the time to run these delayed routes. Other offenses may look at thoses throws as checkdowns but the eagles in my opinion run those with the intention of being the first option. Our LB's are too fast and if it goes to TE Smith Troy P is too fast.

The Steelers are going to have a hard time with scatback Westbrook. Like I said before: the eagles have no run game. The only cutback team we struggle to stop are the Jacksonville Jaguars(Fred Taylor in particular). I am hoping Timmons can play alot of minutes to shadow Westbrook. I feel he has the speed to stay with him no matter where they line up Westbrook(slot, wideout, backfield).

The deepball. We dont give up deep balls.

I hope the Eagles fans are anticipating a low scoring slugfest. If not the boo birds will be out because they will be blaming McNabb for not looking so good. When the reality is we make all QBs(besides Brady:banging:) look not so good.

Go Steelers!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-19-2008, 02:00 PM
We do give up deep balls, as often Troy is playing close to the line. If the Eagles can protect McNabb, he can get time to go deep.

More likely we will see a lot of timing passes, use of the TE and screens, flares or anything to get Westbrook's hands on the ball.

Steelers team speed and linebackers should be able to contain Westbrook, I am more concerned about the Eagles TE having a good day, than Hank Baskett or DeSean Jackson getting deep.

Other side of the ball, look to run the ball and have Brian Dawkins choose to either A. shut down Heath Miller or B. watch Santonio Holmes have single coverage.........Eagles will have to pick their poison.

Mosca
09-19-2008, 02:34 PM
Feh. It's too early in the season to really have the temperature of EITHER team.

Are the Eagles really that potent? Is our D really that good? Is our O the O of week 1, or the O of week 2? Why couldn't the Eagles' D stop the Cowboys?

All I know is that this is one game that could be 38-3 Steelers, or 38-3 Eagles, or anywhere in between. And no matter where it winds up, it will mean nothing as far as how good either team will be in weeks 14-15-16 and beyond, where it really matters.

slippy
09-19-2008, 03:05 PM
well put, Mosca.

if PIT can win this week, i think we could go into the bye undefeated.

19ward86
09-19-2008, 03:39 PM
I cant wait for this game.

SteelMember
09-19-2008, 03:53 PM
I'm not gonna touch this one. Anyone that can put up those types of points, especially with a mobile QB, worry me. I know our D has played well, especially against the run, but Philly seems to be pretty pass happy. The way our corners play off, may play into their hands. I'm hoping Coach LeBeau has made some good adjustments in his gameplan.

They are going to get reggie brown back, and he's pretty good.

If the Steelers play tough, they have a good chance to win, but I don't think it will be easy.

:tt03::tt03: POUND 'EM STEELERS :tt03::tt03:

lilyoder6
09-19-2008, 04:04 PM
well the differences of our d and trhe cowboys d is that our main saftey troy is a better cov player than roy williams.. our secondary is better than the cowboys.. but... the cowboys do have better d-line and they couldn't rly get any push... it's going to be a great game.. this game should of been a monday night game

steelreserve
09-19-2008, 04:26 PM
Remember last time, when we played the Eagles and they were undefeated with a high-powered offense? And then we murdered them? That was great.

Galax Steeler
09-19-2008, 04:52 PM
Remember last time, when we played the Eagles and they were undefeated with a high-powered offense? And then we murdered them? That was great.

Yea that was great I would like to see it again.:drink:

stillers4me
09-19-2008, 05:26 PM
We need to keep McNabb off the field. We need to keep control of the ball and the clock.

Mosca
09-19-2008, 05:57 PM
I'm not gonna touch this one. Anyone that can put up those types of points, especially with a mobile QB, worry me. I know our D has played well, especially against the run, but Philly seems to be pretty pass happy. The way our corners play off, may play into their hands. I'm hoping Coach LeBeau has made some good adjustments in his gameplan.

They are going to get reggie brown back, and he's pretty good.

If the Steelers play tough, they have a good chance to win, but I don't think it will be easy.

:tt03::tt03: POUND 'EM STEELERS :tt03::tt03:

My guess is that we will unleash our Dogs of War: Woodley, Timmons, Harrison, Farrior, and Foote. If our plan works, look for McNabb to be considerably slowed down by early 3rd Q, and we get the 38. If it doesn't, look for them to get the 38, and who knows what we'll get... maybe 10, maybe 52.

lilyoder6
09-19-2008, 08:26 PM
the first one to 35 will win i bet.. lol

CanadianSteel
09-19-2008, 11:21 PM
This is one of those games that had me both excited to see how we perform yet also a bit nervous at the same time.

Stlrs4Life
09-19-2008, 11:28 PM
We need to keep McNabb off the field. We need to keep control of the ball and the clock.

Exactly. No other way around it. We have to have Willy have a good day. I don't think we win this game in a shoot out.

Steelerfreak58
09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
This is just another test for the team to prove if they are worthy and capable of making it to the playoffs and beating the best out there. The way the schedule is this year every week counts like a neck and neck race.

If the Steelers want the respect of all the talking heads they have to go out and beat the so callled "top" teams that all of them seem to have a love fest about. Philly is one of those teams it seems once again especially after Monday Nights shoot out with the Cowgirls. Beat them and beat them soundly and the analysts will be forced to take note. Until that time the Steelers will be one of those teams that gets mentioned but not raved about as usual.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
09-20-2008, 01:17 AM
Looks like Andrews won't be playing good for us bad for the Eagles we'll see what happens.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2008/09/eagles_shawn_andrews_downgrade.html

PHILADELPHIA - Head coach Andy Reid downgraded Pro Bowl guard Shawn Andrews (back spasms) from questionable to doubtful for Sunday's in-state clash with the unbeaten Pittsburgh Steelers and their speedy, 3-4 defense at Lincoln Financial Field.

"He's not recovering as quickly as we hoped,'' Reid said of Andrews following practice today at the NovaCare Complex. "We don't know whether he'll be able to go or not go, Right now, he's hurting.''

Put that down as a no.

Andrews left in the second quarter and did not return Monday against Dallas, and the Eagles' offense produced only seven points with Max Jean-Gilles playing in his place.

Compounding the problem for an offensive line that did not play well in the second half of the 41-37 shootout loss to the Cowboys is starting center Jamaal Jackson has missed practice all week with an undisclosed personal issue, which is an excused absence.

Reid insisted Jackson, who has been in touch via phone with offensive line coach Juan Castillo throughout the week, will start Sunday.

Wide receiver Reggie Brown, who has played only one snap since the start of training camp with a pulled hamstring, is expected to make his 2008 debut, but brown still is being monitored very closely and is not expected to contribute very much.

Rookie DeSean Jackson, fourth in the NFL with 216 receiving yards, is the only Birds' receiver guaranteed to start the game.

Not for nothin' but ....
The Eagles are winless in their last 14 games against AFC playoff teams, and Steelers' quarterback Ben Roethlisberger is 13-2 in his career against the NFC.

hizmi
09-20-2008, 01:21 AM
They use a lot feint playaction(I call it feint because the eagles have no run game)

Like I said before: the eagles have no run game.

Huh? Westbrook has averaged 4.8 and 5.1 yds/carry the last 2 seasons and even Mcnabb is a threat to run. They may throw it more often, but when they do run the ball, they are very very good.

Steelman16
09-20-2008, 01:42 AM
I'm not really worried about McNabb as much as Brian Westbrook. Westbrook could have one of those glitzy days he has occasionally.

Shut down Westbrook, and McNabb will follow naturally. That's my .02 cents.

billybob
09-20-2008, 02:00 AM
The Eagles are not used to facing a top notch afc defense like we have. Some of the plays they run might be fine,if you are playing a division foe.I think we are anything but what they face week after week.We spoiled thier un-defeated season before, with sound defense,and ben on our side.That was in the Burgh,this is at thier house. We haven't faired too well at thier house,but this is a team they have not seen yet. They can watch our film,but what will they see? Thats right, nothing. We have not shown half of what we can do on offense,because we did not need to.Eagles are in for a rude awakening. I look for a low scoring game,maybe 23-17. I know that is not really low,but when you consider thier game against dallas it is low. Dallas will come later down the lane!!!! I lke our boy's in this one.

MACH1
09-20-2008, 03:07 AM
I'm not really worried about McNabb as much as Brian Westbrook. Westbrook could have one of those glitzy days he has occasionally.

Shut down Westbrook, and McNabb will follow naturally. That's my .02 cents.

Shut down Westbrook, shut down their entire O.

Elvis
09-20-2008, 06:03 AM
I guess I will be the first negative toward this game for the steelers-eagles as far as steelers fans goes. I look for that Eagles offense to really take it to our defensive secondary. We all know that teams with a big passing game always gives us fits. If we dont get more pressure on McNabb than we did Derek Anderson this is gonna be a very Long Game. Just my opinions everyone. I look for Santonio Holmes to finally get off the ground and make some plays also.
:coffee:

stillers4me
09-20-2008, 06:43 AM
I guess I will be the first negative toward this game for the steelers-eagles as far as steelers fans goes. I look for that Eagles offense to really take it to our defensive secondary. We all know that teams with a big passing game always gives us fits. If we dont get more pressure on McNabb than we did Derek Anderson this is gonna be a very Long Game. Just my opinions everyone. I look for Santonio Holmes to finally get off the ground and make some plays also.
:coffee:

I'm with you, Edman. Can we win this game? Absolutely.
Will we win this game? I'm no Anthony Smith so I don't guarantee anything. Like I said before, if we control the time of possession and our D has their big boy pads on, then we will dominate. Anything else is going to make for a very ugly game.

We'll see if Lebeau and Arians get out the real playbook for this one.
Steelers 17-10
Here we go, Steelers! :drink:

Glace
09-20-2008, 08:37 AM
I'm not being overconfident....but I don't see us losing this game.

I think we have a much more complete team than the eagles do. I have no doubt that our offense will put the points on the eagles D....and I have no doubt that our D is going to create some turnovers to get our offense back on the field.

We just can't go into "turtle-ball" mode if we get a league. The eagles can rack up points in a hurry if they have to, so we need to keep attacking all night...no matter what the score.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-20-2008, 08:42 AM
This game should give us a measurement of how good the steelers could be this year.
A win would be great but much will be learned from a loss.

STEELAMANIA
09-20-2008, 11:05 AM
The Steelers might win this by more than 20 points.....no contest.

GBMelBlount
09-20-2008, 11:31 AM
I think the Steelers should put up some decent numbers, 24 perhaps more. I think the key will be how well we pressure McNabb and contain Westbrook. This would be a good game to see our linebackers introduce themselves as perhaps the most elite corps in the NFL....

Edman
09-20-2008, 12:21 PM
I'm not afraid of the Eagles...

I'm more concerned of the Steelers showing moxy and intensity on the road against a quality opponent. The Steelers went 3-5 on the road last year.

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 01:00 PM
The Game's attention will be put on our corners and safeties, because our run stop is pretty good so far and the eagles seem like they are passing a lot more anyway. Our defense yes is a 3-4 like the cowboys, but our defense is more exotic and formed so the opposite team cannot determine it. Mcnabb will not have an easy time reading out defense and could cause turnovers as long as our corners and safeties play well.

This will be a dog fight and not high scoring one bit. As long as your defense holds strong and our offense has a good day the steelers can hold off a win, but not easily at all.

Plus its always pretty funny to watch the eagle fans boo like crazy if Mcnabb makes a mistake i swear there confused fans haha!

GO STEELERS!!!

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-20-2008, 01:21 PM
I'm not being overconfident....but I don't see us losing this game.

I think we have a much more complete team than the eagles do. I have no doubt that our offense will put the points on the eagles D....and I have no doubt that our D is going to create some turnovers to get our offense back on the field.

We just can't go into "turtle-ball" mode if we get a league. The eagles can rack up points in a hurry if they have to, so we need to keep attacking all night...no matter what the score.

I agree. Earlier in the week I was a little skeptical but after analyzing the Iggles monday night blowout. They were giving up the deep ball on a consistent basis. Their safeties Dawkins, which has been slowed by age and Considine?....who is he anyways. Their CB's will play the outside tough but that is where Heath should have a monster game tearing up the middle of the field. Willie should have some nice runs to the outside, they have subpar OLB's and DE's right now. I doubt we have much success running up the middle.

steel striker
09-20-2008, 01:47 PM
I don't think the eagles offense has our defense worried because, like it was mentioned already the eagles don't face a 3-4 like ours. Plus how often does McNabb prepare for Troy P? We should create problems for Mcnabb and, I like our chances. No doubt the eagles have a new down field threat in Jackson but, i think we will control the clock and win the game.

If we can establish the run with fwp and, have Ben make some passing plays it could be a long day for the eagles. I know the eagles will bring pressure but, if Ben could hit some slants with holmes it could spell trouble for the eagles. :tt:

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 08:44 PM
well i wonder who they'll put sameul on.. then we go to the other person.. asante is a good corner and could kill us with int's

devo_17
09-20-2008, 10:49 PM
We have to come out and lay the wood to them early. Deshaun Jackson hasnt been hit hard yet this year. Taylor and McFadden are more physical than any corner he has played against this year. The only Eagle receiver that comes anywhere near the middle of the field is Greg Lewis and he will more likely be matched up with the hard hittin Ryan Clark. Polomalu matches up with L.J. Smith very favorably. We have to keep McNabb in the pocket and Casey Hampton needs to cause havoc!!!

MJ5150
09-21-2008, 02:39 AM
Eh, I'm not worried. Sure they can score, but we can too. Philly can't stop anyone.

I'm not counting the Rams game, those guys are just terrible.

-Mike

tony hipchest
09-21-2008, 11:26 AM
i heard philly is 0-14 in its last 14 games vs AFC opponents who made the playoffs the year before.

shawn andrews is doubtful, so woodley should have a field day against a back-up.
(remember giants sacking mcnabb 12 X last year?)

i wonder if ike taylor will be one on one with desean jackson. thats a track meet i cant wait to see. ike is strong enough to jam him and quick enought to recover on a deep ball. jackson hasnt faced this type of cb in the nfl yet.

steelpride12
09-21-2008, 11:41 AM
i heard philly is 0-14 in its last 14 games vs AFC opponents who made the playoffs the year before.

shawn andrews is doubtful, so woodley should have a field day against a back-up.
(remember giants sacking mcnabb 12 X last year?)

i wonder if ike taylor will be one on one with desean jackson. thats a track meet i cant wait to see. ike is strong enough to jam him and quick enought to recover on a deep ball. jackson hasnt faced this type of cb in the nfl yet.

Any pressure we get on defense is a win in our part, the eagles line has looked good so far def. against the cowboys blitz.

If Brown is back for the eagles i could see Ike on hi other than Jackson. Jackson is a threat, but if Townsend plays im sure he can handle him.

revefsreleets
09-21-2008, 08:09 PM
I wasn't and still am not. But they will hang a lot of points on a lot of other teams NOT wearing Black and Gold this year.