PDA

View Full Version : Steelers release Russell

Stlrs4Life
09-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Just got a text from KDKA saying that the Steeleres released Gary Russell.

This sucks, he will not last long unemployed.
http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Sports

Sep 20, 2008 12:14 PM
STEELERS RELEASE GARY RUSSELL
Posted by mvuk
The Steelers made a roster move today when they promoted rookie LB Patrick Bailey to their active roster.

Bailey (6-4, 235) spent the first two games of the season on the Steelers’ practice squad after originally signing with the team as an undrafted rookie free agent from Duke. He started 26 games and recorded 191 tackles (24.5 for losses), 8.5 sacks, one interception and four forced fumbles during his college career.

The Steelers made room on their roster for Bailey by releasing second-year RB Gary Russell. Russell originally made the Steelers roster as an undrafted rookie free agent in 2007.

Petesburgh66
09-20-2008, 11:27 AM
With Keisel out, you think they would have brought in a DE instead of another LB.

I guess this move is for special teams more than anything.

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 11:55 AM
Guess with the depth we have at running back Russel never would have really had a chance to show what he's got. Good luck in the NFL Russel

The Duke
09-20-2008, 12:08 PM
so with bailey in the roster there's a spot on the PS. hopefully russell gets it

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Damn I really liked Russell. He was just in a bitter sweet situation with some great backs ahead of him. Best of luck Gary.

LVSteelersfan
09-20-2008, 01:42 PM
Russell never impressed me. He was just another back who went nowhere after the first hit. We need some backs that can get to the second level AFTER the first hit. Good luck to him but it is not a great loss.

tony hipchest
09-20-2008, 03:17 PM
Russell never impressed me. He was just another back who went nowhere after the first hit. We need some backs that can get to the second level AFTER the first hit. Good luck to him but it is not a great loss.well he could move the pile (of 3rd string defenders) one yard back. too bad it was usually on 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 2.

perhaps he can become the new "john kuhn". :blah:

my thought is, maybe carey davis becomes the 4th rb/fb and our new tight end is ready to be fb/te.

i cant say for sure, but i dont think russell was very useful on special teams and showed little position flexibility.

HometownGal
09-20-2008, 03:47 PM
He looked good at camp. :noidea: As was mentioned above, we are pretty deep in the backfield and he was the most likely candidate to be shown the door.

Good luck Gary! :drink:

Texasteel
09-20-2008, 05:17 PM
I liked Russell, but not to awfully surprised. I'm sure he'll catch on someplace else. I still think he can be a quality back.

GBMelBlount
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
Good for Bailey. He's a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders. I think he could develop into a solid backup and could contribute to an already improved special teams. :thumbsup:

Edman
09-20-2008, 06:08 PM
Russell is not the proper basis of a power runner.

He always ran straight into piles and didn't have to power to break tackles. He was on our team last year when Willie went down and the running game stalled tremendously with him and Najeh back there.

I don't think we'll miss him too much.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-20-2008, 06:13 PM
I would rather Russel on the team. too bad we didnt get rid of moore

Hapa
09-20-2008, 06:56 PM
We shoulda traded Russel for some draft picks :O

missedgehead
09-20-2008, 07:09 PM
HI. Sorry I have been gone so long. I did a simple thing like change my email and had a hard time getting back in, but I am back now, but anyway, I am sorry Russell got let go. I thought maybe he would be good as a 3rd down back. :(

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 07:31 PM
i think russell was a good rb.. but kinda of hard to show something when u have parker/mendenhall in front of u.. hopefully he can do something w/ another team... maybe the spot is for mundy!?!?!?!?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-20-2008, 11:17 PM
No skin off my nose. He is a decent looking RB, but most decent looking #4 RB's are not gonna make a contribution.

Kind of a Daunte Brown, Jesse Chatman situation, but while in the B&G most fans thought he was the 2nd coming of .......Richard Huntley??

Havik
09-20-2008, 11:41 PM
I was rooting for Russell to be a part of the Steelers, he is from my hometown. I wasn't really impressed with him during the preseason however, and he is nothing more than practice squad material.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Good for Bailey. He's a smart kid with a good head on his shoulders. I think he could develop into a solid backup and could contribute to an already improved special teams. :thumbsup:
aren't you a .......duke fan ? :wtf:

Steeldude
09-20-2008, 11:51 PM
if parker goes down the running game is in trouble. mendenhall is clueless unless he is in the open field and moore is a weak and slower version of parker.

Steelman16
09-21-2008, 12:07 AM
if parker goes down the running game is in trouble. mendenhall is clueless unless he is in the open field and moore is a weak and slower version of parker.

Whaddya mean if Willie goes down? He sucks anyway. We don't have a running game to speak of, he's too small, he gets 100 yards in chunks of 25's instead of 5's, and his averages don't make him elite if you take away long runs, and...

Did I mention he sucks?

:coffee:

:rolleyes:

ANYway, sorry to see Russell go, thought he might've had some great potential. Props to Bailey for making the roster! :thumbsup:

lilyoder6
09-21-2008, 12:19 AM
there is always the MVP alexander in the free agency pool

Steeldude
09-21-2008, 03:07 AM
Whaddya mean if Willie goes down? He sucks anyway. We don't have a running game to speak of, he's too small, he gets 100 yards in chunks of 25's instead of 5's, and his averages don't make him elite if you take away long runs, and...

Did I mention he sucks?

well if that's how you feel.

SteelersMongol
09-21-2008, 05:45 AM
Just got a text from KDKA saying that the Steeleres released Gary Russell.

This sucks, he will not last long unemployed.
http://pod08.prospero.com/n/blogs/blog.aspx?webtag=KDKA_Sports...

Perhaps the Cardinals will take him? :noidea:

Galax Steeler
09-21-2008, 07:08 AM
I would say some team will pick him up we just had to many rb and nowhere for him to go.

Edman
09-21-2008, 11:00 AM
Gary Russell has to be the next John Kuhn. Highly rated on this board and loved for doing absolutely nothing.

We had him on our roster when Willie's season ended and he did nothing against Jacksonville. The run game still fell to pieces. He's such a champion at RB that he couldn't beat out Najeh and the Steelers had to draft a running back.

Steeldude
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM
Gary Russell has to be the next John Kuhn. Highly rated on this board and loved for doing absolutely nothing.

We had him on our roster when Willie's season ended and he did nothing against Jacksonville. The run game still fell to pieces. He's such a champion at RB that he couldn't beat out Najeh and the Steelers had to draft a running back.

russell received how many carries against jacksonville?

it's starts and ends with the O-line. no holes means no rushing yards. parker did nothing today because of a poor O-line. i don't remember the steelers' O-line opening any holes against the jaguars' defense in the playoffs.

mendehall looks to be another kuhn also. highly rated on this board and loved for doing absolutely nothing. well except for fumbling and poor cardio.

and the Steelers had to draft a running back

a wasted pick. the steelers didn't need to draft a RB. especially a RB who can't run between the tackles.