PDA

View Full Version : Observation on Carson Palmer

Mosca
09-20-2008, 02:59 PM
I'm working today, so I can only type and run...

In today's SI Online, Bucky Brooks is writing about Palmer's lack of confidence, and is making the excuse for him that "[s]ome of the blame for Palmer's woes can be attributed to nagging injuries plaguing his two Pro Bowl receivers (T.J. Houshmandzadeh and Chad Johnson). Both players missed significant time during the preseason, and the lack of chemistry has been apparent during the first two games."

Excuse me?

Isn't this supposed to be the guy who makes the receivers good rather than the other way around?

For all the Brady-hate here and around the league, no one has ever questioned Tom Brady's ability to win regardless of who was catching the ball. Brady is the guy who made Wes Welker a star. Brady made that bug-eyed guy, Reese Caldwell, a star. Brady doesn't care WHO lines up wide right, he's going to win. Geez, that's part of the reason to hate on him!

Carson Palmer has always impressed me as a guy with great tools who can get the job done when everything else is running smoothly, but who falls apart when the least little thing goes wrong; he has no idea how to right the ship, he can only run it when it's already running well.

I can't hate this guy. I can only feel sorry for him, and I hope his career after football is nice and smooth, so that he doesn't have too many frustrations that would make him gnash his teeth and cry at night.

Steelman16
09-20-2008, 03:38 PM
It'd probably be different if he didn't play for that tiger-striped franchise in Ohio.

steelpride12
09-20-2008, 03:40 PM
Palmer has always had my respect as a great QB with alot of Talent around him or i thought. It seems they are 0-2 with a team that should be 1-1 or even 2-0. There receiving core is loaded as always and Perry as a running back was suppose to be the answer.

Carson has a lack of confidence and you can see it on the field. The will come out strong, but after the posing team scores or gets a turnover Carson just kinda backs off and loses all hope. The Bengals look crazy bad and i just can't seem to point the finger many other places than Palmer.

Blitzburgh_Fever
09-20-2008, 04:46 PM
Palmer's main problem is he's a USC quarterback.

Avoid LLoyd1975
09-20-2008, 05:03 PM
Palmer's main problem is he's a USC quarterback.

That and that he passionately hates the Steelers and has gone public with it. I can't feel bad for him....No way, no how. He has bad sportsmanship.

hizmi
09-20-2008, 05:35 PM
I think it's been his O-line that has let him down more so than the receivers.

They had a great O-line with Levi Jones and Willie anderson as the bookends and Steinbach at left guard. I don't think it's coincidence that Steinbach's departure has improved the Browns and hurt the Bengals.

tony hipchest
09-20-2008, 06:12 PM
the receivers have done nothing to help.

henry is on his 3rd suspension

tj missed camp w/ injury

chads threats to sit out the year, missed camp w/ 2 injuries, proved their is an "i" in team, and told carson to mind his own f'ing business.

2 rookies who have yet to be seen.

:hunch:

jaws made a great point when comparing cutler to leinart. cutler played at vanderbuilt w/ no receivers and was always getting hit and having to make plays. leinart (from usc) had tons of weapons around him and wasnt used to the pressure and making plays you need in the nfl.

same applies to palmer. he was coddled by talent his whole career. when it comes to crunchtime and real adversity, he simply isnt prepared.

oh, and his o-line does suck too.

steel striker
09-20-2008, 06:25 PM
If Ben would have started like Palmer this year Ben would have been killed by the media but, since it is bungles we are talking about no one in the media says anything about it. It drives me crazy sometimes the year Ben has his motorcycle crash throws 23 picks and, the media beats up on Ben. When Palmer has 20 picks their excuse is that bungles are a bad team. You can't have it both ways.

The Duke
09-20-2008, 06:29 PM
If Ben would have started like Palmer this year Ben would have been killed by the media but, since it is bungles we are talking about no one in the media says anything about it. It drives me crazy sometimes the year Ben has his motorcycle crash throws 23 picks and, the media beats up on Ben. When Palmer has 20 picks their excuse is that bungles are a bad team. You can't have it both ways.

:thumbsup:

exactly. that's why I have no sympathy for palmer

he has the tools to be a great qb, but he just doesn't seem up to the challenge this past two years

Edman
09-20-2008, 06:53 PM
I don't feel sorry for Palmer.

If Ben has a poor start like that, it's because he sucks and is better suited for a Game Manager role or some bullcrap like that. In this case of Carson's ever-increasing average play that dates back to last year, it's because the team sucks?

Ben suffers a concussion, and had his face smashed on a windshield, and comes right back the next year and puts up a 32 TD Pro Bowl Season. All while having to deal with shoddy pass protection and would be lucky to have the protection Brady, Manning, and until recently, Palmer get.

Hell no, I don't feel bad one bit for Palmer.

CantStop85
09-20-2008, 07:39 PM
Probably the biggest two things to blame for Palmer's struggles so far have been the lack of protection from the o-line and the lack of continuity with the receivers.

I don't know why the o-line has struggled so much thus far, although Big Willie and Steinbach are gone, there is still quite a bit of talent there. Hopefully they can get it together.

And the injuries/suspension to the Bengals top 3 WR's certainly hasn't made matters much better. It's pretty apparent that Palmer, TJ, and Chad still aren't on the same page yet, but I guess that's to be somewhat expected when they both missed pretty much all of training camp and preseason.

I'm looking for Palmer to rebound this week against the Giants. He's too good of a QB to be playing like he has the last 2 weeks. Though I still think it will take a minor miracle for the Bengals to beat the Giants.

lilyoder6
09-20-2008, 08:33 PM
the bengals off has been very suprising that they haven't been able to do anything.. they should (hopefully) get it going sooner or later

xfl2001fan
09-20-2008, 08:41 PM
the bengals off has been very suprising that they haven't been able to do anything.. they should (hopefully) get it going sooner or later

Hopefully?

ATTENTION STEELERSFEVER FORUM

We have a closet Bungles fan here! lol:flap:

hizmi
09-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Hopefully?

Nah, we just need you to knock off the brownies and ravens for us since we know you're not a threat anymore :wink02:

fansince'76
09-20-2008, 10:32 PM
To be fair, there's only so much Palmer can reasonably be expected to do on his own.

stillers4me
09-20-2008, 10:37 PM
To be fair, there's only so much Palmer can reasonably be expected to do on his own.

He really hasn't been the same since "the injury". He's too skittish.

missedgehead
09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
He really hasn't been the same since "the injury". He's too skittish.

BINGO! Ding ding ding. We have a winner!!! :applaudit::applaudit::applaudit: That is a huge part of why he has not been all that great lately. The O line has been an issue also. What kills me though is that the media does give him a bit of a pass though where when Ben had that bad year, he was treated as if he was never a good QB. :doh:

Steelman16
09-21-2008, 12:57 AM
Hopefully?

More like 'Hopefully', as in we need some competition in this division. :chuckle:

lilyoder6
09-21-2008, 01:21 AM
the o-line of the bengals sucks horribly.. but i don't care if the bengals win or not but i would like to have cj make some td's i have him in ff world

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 02:15 AM
He really hasn't been the same since "the injury". He's too skittish.ya think? he did throw for 4100 yds last year with a 64.9 comp. % ...... if thats how a skittish qb performs, then i bet about 80 % of the coaches are wishin for a blown out knee for thier qb. i think his problem is, he's just fed up with the bungles period. between the criminal element, ocho asshat, and an owner who tolerates the bullshit . and doesn't seem to committed to winning, i'd say his mind is more on gettin the hell outta his contract, than football. that or cornholing....its one or the other. :chuckle:

Galax Steeler
09-21-2008, 08:16 AM
Palmer is fragile he just falls to pieces when he is hit.

stillers4me
09-21-2008, 09:09 AM
ya think? he did throw for 4100 yds last year with a 64.9 comp. % ......

Living in Cinci, I manage to see about every Bengals game. If they play the same time the Steelers do, we dvr it and watch some of when we get home. Palmer thnks he's throwing to an 8 foot tall receiver half the time. Now, either everybody else is screwing up all the time or he can't hit the side of a barn. And whenever there's any pressure at all on him, he just folds. I hear all the time from the Bengals fans how they wish he could fight it off and scramble like Ben does. (of course, that's always followed by how weak OUR o line is and a comment about "the hit on Carson's knee or jab at Ben's accident. :chuckle: )

And today, I get the pleasure of watching the Giants whomp all over them! The fun starts at 1pm. Laughter is good for the soul. :sofunny:

revefsreleets
09-21-2008, 11:02 AM
I agree the Giants are just going to shred the Bungs. Mediocre OL versus good pass rush does not equal good things for the Bungholes.

But it'll sure be fun to watch the further collapse in Cincy. Over/under on the gold toofed fool cold-c ocking coaches again? Week 4.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 12:31 AM
Carson did surprisingly better than I expected, but still.

The Bengals Suck.

Eli Manning showed why he's a top-tier QB now.

The Duke
09-22-2008, 01:50 AM
my observation on Carson Palmer....Eli manning ruined our comeback :finger:

but seriously, he played better this game, considering the amount of pressure he was getting( not that it was anything compared to the pressure on big ben)

Tankus_Maximus
09-22-2008, 09:55 AM
The main problem with Palmer is that he is a b !tch.

Always has been, always will be.