PDA

View Full Version : Bill would ban teen drivers from cell phone use

SteelCityMan786
09-20-2008, 09:42 PM
http://www.pennlive.com/news/patriotnews/index.ssf?/base/news/122161741198050.xml&coll=1
Bill would ban teen drivers from cell phone use
Wednesday, September 17, 2008
From staff reports

The state's licensed junior drivers would not be able use their cell phones while driving under terms of a bill sponsored by the House Transportation Committee.

The bill, an effort to reduce accidents involving junior licensees, would add 15 hours to the 50 hours of practical driving experience already required, restrict the number of passengers and make not wearing a seat belt a primary offense for drivers ages 16 and 17.

"My bill would greatly reduce the distractions that cause many of those accidents and impose stricter guidelines for inexperienced teen drivers, said the committee's chairman, Rep. Joseph Markosek, D-Allegheny/Westmoreland.

The law does not prohibit drivers with learner's permits or junior licenses from using electronic devices while driving, nor are they subjected to passenger limits. "Inexperienced and carefree youth can be a deadly combination unless teen drivers are better prepared to operate a vehicle," Markosek said.

The legislation would:

# Prohibit the use of cell phones, text-messaging devices, personal digital assistants and laptop computers while driving.

# Add 15 hours of driving experience, including 10 hours after dark and five hours in bad weather.

# Restrict junior drivers to no more than one passenger younger than 18, except relatives.

# Require the state Department of Transportation to report annually on the use of wireless communication devices in motor vehicles involved in accidents.

The bill will go to the full House.

SteelCityMan786
09-20-2008, 09:43 PM
HEY PA CONGRESSMEN AND WOMEN! This thing about banning distracted teen driving, HOW ABOUT EXTENDING THAT TO THE REST OF THE STATE'S DRIVERS TO?!?!?

Otherwise, not a bad idea.

fansince'76
09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
They should expand it to include adults too, and make it FEDERAL law. I'm tired of these assclowns that pay more attention to their phone conversations than the road. Hang up and drive!

Preacher
09-20-2008, 09:51 PM
I find no difference talking on a cell phone on speakerphone or the ear piece and talking to someone in the passenger seat.

If you do the voice dial... I find there is no difference.

touchdownward
09-20-2008, 09:54 PM
I agree with banning cell phone use while driving for all drivers.

Me, for those occasions where I do yap on the cell while driving, I use a Blue tooth. You can set them to be totally hands free answering and calling. And in less the little lady is talking dirty to me, I'm not distracted by the conversation. :chuckle:

Havik
09-20-2008, 11:15 PM
I think cell phone use should be banned while driving regardless of age. Then again, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should have a drivers license anyway.

MasterOfPuppets
09-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I think cell phone use should be banned while driving regardless of age. Then again, I don't think anyone under the age of 18 should have a drivers license anyway.

i agree.....get the little punks off the road !!! at the very least, make it so ONLY honor roll students are elegible for a drivers liscence. that'll get the dumbass, irresponsible little pukes off the road....:thumbsup:

Preacher
09-21-2008, 12:03 AM
Well...

I knew a number of "honor roll" students that were irresponsible.

It is amazing what 2 general classes, 2 shop classes, and 2 electives can get you.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 12:18 AM
Well...

I knew a number of "honor roll" students that were irresponsible.

It is amazing what 2 general classes, 2 shop classes, and 2 electives can get you. and there's a ton of little morons with C averages or less, with gravy schedules. at least if you dangle a carrot, that parents aren't willing to, maybe the pimple faced goobers might put fourth a little effort instead of wasting teachers time.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 12:24 AM
and there's a ton of little morons with C averages or less, with gravy schedules. at least if you dangle a carrot, that parents aren't willing to, maybe the pimple faced goobers might put fourth a little effort instead of wasting teachers time.

maybe... maybe not.

I was a c- student. 1.95 average in highschool.. and that was only because I pulled some decent grades my senior year.

It had nothing to do with my intelligence...

Some people are just late bloomers...

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 12:30 AM
maybe... maybe not.

I was a c- student. 1.95 average in highschool.. and that was only because I pulled some decent grades my senior year.

It had nothing to do with my intelligence...

Some people are just late bloomers...
it usually doesn't have anything to do with intelligence. it's desire and discipline. or lack there of.

Hammer67
09-21-2008, 07:29 AM
it usually doesn't have anything to do with intelligence. it's desire and discipline. or lack there of.

Especially high school, which was laughably easy as I look back on it. You just had to show up and pay attention and you could pass.

Most kids had the problem of not paying attention...;)

Regarding cell phones, I definitely think this should be extended to adults, but specify that hands free or bluetooth are OK. I think the distraction comes with holding the phone and pressing buttons or texting. I have a Ford with the new Microsoft Sync system...it's basically bluetooth built into your dash and speakers. It isn't distracting at all...just steer normally..no hands, baby!

Blonde Bomber
09-21-2008, 08:01 AM
I can remember just a few years back it seemed that every other kid was being diagnosed with ADHD.....hmmm, now they are driving with a cell phone in one hand....it is scary to watch some of these people drive. I haven't had a cell phone in over 5 or 6 years, and I don't miss it one bit. If it is that important, I am sure you will get a hold of me. I will use my 21 year old son as an example, although I see it with all aged people, He is either texting someone, or on the phone with someone virtually all day long. I wonder what in the hell could he possibly be talking about allll of the time?

stillers4me
09-21-2008, 08:14 AM
I really don't see the difference between talking on a phone, talking to the passenger, texting, putting discs in the cd player, messing around with an ipod, eating a Big Mac, or screwing around with a GPS System in a car. ( and I'd bet there are plenty of salespeople out there fiddling with their laptops to boot). All are just as distracting. Where does the legislation end? I don't see the sense in singling out just one activity.

Mosca
09-21-2008, 08:32 AM
I find no difference talking on a cell phone on speakerphone or the ear piece and talking to someone in the passenger seat.

If you do the voice dial... I find there is no difference.

Preach, there actually is a difference. Studies have shown that the nature of phone calls is different from live conversation; the image of a conversation is actually created in the imagination. That's why it is hard to watch TV and talk on the phone, but you can watch a show with someone else in the room and still follow the action.

Regarding the bill; it will work about as well as any other. I'm sure we're all relieved about how the law against drinking and driving has solved THAT problem.

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 09:28 AM
it was shot down in maryland.

Despite the high number of car accidents in Maryland caused by driver distraction, there is no evidence pointing to the use of cell phones without hands-free devices being any more dangerous than other distractions, such as radios, GPS and other occupants in the car. According to the study conducted by Virginia Tech and the NHTSA, the biggest distraction which leads to accidents is reaching for a fallen object, which increases the risk of crashing 9 times. The use of phones has only been blamed with a 1.3 fold rise in car accidents

Some Maryland car crashes may have been prevented with this law, but it appears unlikely that it would have reduced the overall use of phones while driving, and could have also increased the number of accidents attributed to fumbling with a hands-free device

Preacher
09-21-2008, 10:11 AM
Preach, there actually is a difference. Studies have shown that the nature of phone calls is different from live conversation; the image of a conversation is actually created in the imagination. That's why it is hard to watch TV and talk on the phone, but you can watch a show with someone else in the room and still follow the action.

Regarding the bill; it will work about as well as any other. I'm sure we're all relieved about how the law against drinking and driving has solved THAT problem.

:chuckle:

Too true.

They passed that law here. Funny thing. Cops are exempt from the law... which means they are ok to call home and talk to wifey about dinner.

The other interesting thing... I have seen a number of people still doing it.

tony hipchest
09-21-2008, 11:49 AM
I really don't see the difference between talking on a phone, talking to the passenger, texting, putting discs in the cd player, messing around with an ipod, eating a Big Mac, or screwing around with a GPS System in a car. ( and I'd bet there are plenty of salespeople out there fiddling with their laptops to boot). All are just as distracting. Where does the legislation end? I don't see the sense in singling out just one activity.really?

so if i can drink a coke and drive i should most certainly be able to have a brew....

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 11:59 AM
really?

so if i can drink a coke and drive i should most certainly be able to have a brew....
:scratchchin: and if i can smoke a ciggerette and drive.........why not a doobie !!!

tony hipchest
09-21-2008, 12:19 PM
:scratchchin: and if i can smoke a ciggerette and drive.........why not a doobie !!!

i LOVE driving with no legislation!

:getdown::smoker::alcoholic::music::guitar: :jerkit: :computer::fishing::shower::chug::dualies:

Godfather
09-22-2008, 10:32 AM
I really don't see the difference between talking on a phone, talking to the passenger, texting, putting discs in the cd player, messing around with an ipod, eating a Big Mac, or screwing around with a GPS System in a car. ( and I'd bet there are plenty of salespeople out there fiddling with their laptops to boot). All are just as distracting. Where does the legislation end? I don't see the sense in singling out just one activity.

Texting requires you to take your eyes off the road...just look at what happened in Los Angeles last week when the train conductor was texting.

How's this for a compromise: people can yammer on their cell phone while driving, but if they cause an accident while doing so, they're banned for life from having a driver's license or a cell phone (their choice).

Mosca
09-22-2008, 11:25 AM
i LOVE driving with no legislation!

:getdown::smoker::alcoholic::music::guitar: :jerkit: :computer::fishing::shower::chug::dualies:

What we need is LESS regulation, not more!

CantStop85
09-22-2008, 02:53 PM
This is a tough subject...ideally people shouldn't be doing anything distracting while driving, but there are times when you need to use a phone, etc. And you can make laws about these things, but it's not really going to stop these activities.

One thing I can definitely say no one should do is text message while they're driving. Just a couple of months ago I was sitting at an intersection, the light turned green, I went to go and a car ran the red light, t-boned and totaled my car. I had to be taken to the emergency room and kept in the hospital for about a week. Had I not been wearing a seat belt or my air bag not deployed it would've definitely killed me. And all of that because a 16-year-old girl was too busy text messaging on her phone to pay attention to the actual road.

stlrtruck
09-22-2008, 03:01 PM
I don't know why I need the government to tell me this. I've already told my daughter if I find out she's been driving my truck and using her cell phone (for either calls or texting, then she'll lose the privilege to drive).