PDA

View Full Version : Poor Game Plan

AvoidLLoyd95
11-29-2005, 12:34 AM
Onside kick? This ain't the Super Bowl and those aren't the Cowboys. I admire the guts, but the D was doing pretty good until then. Give 'em a chance. This game is over.

chumley
11-29-2005, 12:37 AM
We had the momentum near the end of the half... Even after the field goal, I thought we were well in it, but after the failed onside kick (which was certainly not conservative) and touchdown any gameplan we had was thrown out.

Wonder what we would be saying if the onside kick worked?

AvoidLLoyd95
11-29-2005, 12:39 AM
It didn't. We gave them 7.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2005, 12:39 AM
it was a gamble..if we make it..cowher is a genious.. if we dont.. well u see what happens..

its a catch22

AvoidLLoyd95
11-29-2005, 12:47 AM
I understand that if they make the play it would have ben great. But why even try? They were only down 9. Hold them on D and cut the lead. They were playing good after the first drive. Ah hell. They better beat the damn Bungles next week or it could be over.

Livinginthe past
11-29-2005, 01:01 AM
The Steelers needed a spark at that point - the playcalling beforehand is what dug them into a deep hole - they never looked like scoring another 10 points.

The O-line is not good enough to bully other teams to allow the RBs to run wild.

Hate to say it - but the Patriots and the Steelers are both mediocre this year - I could name a few teams in just the AFC that I think are better.

Cheers

NM

AvoidLLoyd95
11-29-2005, 01:05 AM
The Steelers needed a spark at that point - the playcalling beforehand is what dug them into a deep hole - they never looked like scoring another 10 points.

The O-line is not good enough to bully other teams to allow the RBs to run wild.

Hate to say it - but the Patriots and the Steelers are both mediocre this year - I could name a few teams in just the AFC that I think are better.

Cheers

NM
They may have beaten the Steelers, but Pittsburgh is better than the Patriots this year.

Livinginthe past
11-29-2005, 01:08 AM
They may have beaten the Steelers, but Pittsburgh is better than the Patriots this year.

Maybe you are right - the way I see it - the Pats have an awful D and the Steelers have an awful O - both are horrible to watch and incredibly frustrating.

NM

BurghThing
11-29-2005, 01:10 AM
We had the momentum near the end of the half... Even after the field goal, I thought we were well in it, but after the failed onside kick (which was certainly not conservative) and touchdown any gameplan we had was thrown out.

Wonder what we would be saying if the onside kick worked?

How exactly is the kick supposed to work when your worthless kicker, who already missed a chip-shot INDOORS, can't even kick the damn ball 10 freaking yards?! :banging:

Koopa
11-29-2005, 01:12 AM
yeah we are better then the pats right now but there is some teams that i wouldn't want to play that's the chargers, yeah we beat them but that was early in the season they are now rolling and they'd probably beat us, the cheifs probably could, the jags be a good game, ummmmmm....... we are far from the "powerhouse" we were last season and it's all cause the front office decided they were satisfied with what we had which is a mistake......... we gonna need to step it up big time the rest of the season if we want any chance to make the playoffs and make noise in the playoffs

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 01:26 AM
Onside kick? This ain't the Super Bowl and those aren't the Cowboys. I admire the guts, but the D was doing pretty good until then. Give 'em a chance. This game is over.

Yep, stupid call. It was a 9 point game for Christ's sake the D was in Manning's head. Stupid, stupid call.

If Ben tucks that ball and Reed kicks straight it should have been 13-10 at the half. Poor planning and poor excusion.

The only that can stop the Colts from winning the Superbowl this year is the Colts.

CowherLover
11-29-2005, 01:43 AM
I was ready to throw my tv out the window after the onside kick. I don't care what people might think if it "might" have worked, it was RIDICULOUS! We had many opportunities in this game that were squandered. I want to know what is up with the play calling. They have studied film for this game and you come out with this? It seems to me, that they aren't giving their play-makers a chance to do what they do. Damn, why couldn't you give Jerome the ball on fourth and one against the Jags or the Ravens for cryin' out loud!

Despite what has been happening these past few weeks, I believe, once everyone gets back in rhythm, and they are playing back at the pace they have to play at, we should win out. But hey, that's just me.

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 01:55 AM
We need to win out and go 12-4 with a LOT of help. I think only a bye would get this team deep into the playoffs. Finishing with a WildCard or 3rd is not good enough. If we win next week we're back in the drivers seat of the division, but the Colts have exposed us.

SteelerFanInATL
11-29-2005, 09:45 AM
That was the dumbest thing that I have ever seen Cowher do. That play and score took the wind out of our sale. We had only given up one TD til that point and the D had adjusted well. That was a bonehead call.:pissed: :pissed:

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-29-2005, 12:15 PM
Maybe you are right - the way I see it - the Pats have an awful D and the Steelers have an awful O - both are horrible to watch and incredibly frustrating.

NM
I dont think that our O is awful. Ben was a little rusty, and our O line couldnt do much, but then again we were playing the best team in the NFL. If we look like that next week then I would tend to agree with you but I dont think we will.

Grey
11-29-2005, 12:31 PM
it was a gamble..if we make it..cowher is a genious.. if we dont.. well u see what happens..

its a catch22

Even if we would have recovered the onside kick, it certainly would NOT have been a genious call. It was a poor choice no matter what the outcome. Standard Cowher conservative would have gotten us a lot closer to a W in this game. I really have no idea what he was thinking with that call.

Here we go.
Grey

Grey
11-29-2005, 12:40 PM
What was wrong with the game plan? Seriously, we tried to run the ball in the first quarter and got no where. We generally tried to ease Ben back into the flow of the game with conservative passes that, in the firt half especially, were mostly on the mark.

I think it was the very poor execution of the game plan that killed us. The O-line was just bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. What was it, 5-6 false starts? 3 in a row by Simmons? Come on. And they gave Ben no better protection than they did for Maddox. Cowher keeps rotating running backs in there hoping for a spark in the running game, but it is useless without a hole to urn through. IMHO, the O-line hast to dramatically improve for this season to come together like it should.

I might get some heat for this, but I thought our defense played a pretty good game as well. After Taylor gave up the TD on the first play :thud: I was proud of the way the D kept us in the game.

Here we go.
Grey

Livinginthe past
11-29-2005, 12:53 PM
I dont think that our O is awful. Ben was a little rusty, and our O line couldnt do much, but then again we were playing the best team in the NFL. If we look like that next week then I would tend to agree with you but I dont think we will.

I was impressed with what the Colts D acheived last night - at times I felt their players were operating at twice the speed of the Pittsburgh Offense.

Having said all this CINCINNATI put a bunch of points on them the week before, the Rams offense put 17 on them in the 1st Quarter before Bulger went down injured.

The fact is the Pittsburgh O-line isnt good enough to allow the Steelers to pound the ball when the opposition D knows it is coming (unless the opposition is the Texans) - there needs to be a genuine threat of a pass on 1st down.

It works both ways - by the time Cowher went to the pass - the Steelers were down by a couple of scores and the Colts KNEW WHAT WAS COMING!

I do like the Pittsburgh D - the corners are green but clearly talented - and are learning/improving every game - they are capable of turning the ball over - but to maintain momentum the offense needs to be able to score points - at the moment they cant.

WR is definitely a problem position for the Steelers - Wilson, Randel El and the rest just arent up to it - you take Hines out of the game and there is very little left.

The Patriots D is in a bad place the moment - I can only hope we can put something together by playoff time - the Steelers offense is in a similar position.

Cheers

NM

tony hipchest
11-29-2005, 02:09 PM
) - there needs to be a genuine threat of a pass on 1st down.

It works both ways - by the time Cowher went to the pass - the Steelers were down by a couple of scores and the Colts KNEW WHAT WAS COMING!

NM

so true. it was obvious the steelers practiced all week with the intentions of running the ball. and its obvious the colts gameplanned to stop the run. so why not throw a curve ball at them and prove to the world ben can score like manning and palmer? the exact same play the colts opened up with (80 yd td strike) couldve been called by cowher and worked just as well. im usually one to defend cowher but in this case he gave the team nothing to execute. its like the colts were in the steelers huddle. some things couldve been done differently to make this a winnable game.

1) all out blitz. sure this usually doesnt work against manning but the steelers disgise their blitzes so well. no sooner than townsend had the only sack on manning he threw an int.

2) hurry up/ no huddle offense early in the game. ben is a master at running this.

3) put the ball in randel els hands atleast 3 times in the back field. he took snaps in practice at qb so why let those plays and practice go to waste? hell line him up at qb just to hand off to willie. this would have the colts scratching their heads.

4) no onside kick. the reward didnt outweigh the risk.

5) dont go for it on 4th and 4 in the 4th quarter when youre in fg range and you still need to score 2 td's and a fg.

clevestinks
11-29-2005, 04:58 PM
I don`t think the kick went far enough anyway. Reed was partially to blame for a terrible on side kick. Even though you are never sure how it will turn out, you have to kick it far enough

Prosdo
11-29-2005, 05:41 PM
I have to agree with you LITP. I love our group of WR, but I think we need a threat in there. The duo of Plax and Hines worked well last year. I think we need something like that back.