PDA

View Full Version : Finishing my basement...suggestions?

Hammer67
09-21-2008, 11:17 AM
I have about 1400 sq ft of basement space that I am finishing. There is a section pre plumbed so we will be putting in a bathroom, a storage area and, my baby, the home theater room. Rest of the area will be open for a general play/living room.

I am having it professionally done as I don't have the interest or time to invest to do it myself.

Anyone have any suggestions (things to avoid, financing options, etc.)? I am debating on whether I will take a home equity loan out to pay for it or a line of credit...

I am guestimating the cost to be in the $20,000 to $25,000 range..

GBMelBlount
09-21-2008, 11:26 AM
Have you purchased all of your home theater equipment yet? Are you having your home theater designed and installed by home theater professionals or are you choosing the components and designing the setup yourself?

MACH1
09-21-2008, 12:08 PM
How are you doing your theater room? You doing the floating soundproof wall,floor and celling deal or just normal walls.

Hammer67
09-21-2008, 01:32 PM
I am most likely just doing a 2 x 4 wall with insulation and running all wiring in the walls. Having the contractor build it out. Room will be roughly 14ft x 12ft.

I have my current setup which includes 57" rptv he, reciever speakers, sub, seating, PS3 Bluray and decorations. Room is going to be plain so I can upgrade later. I need new speakers and a 60"+ plasma in the near future

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 01:53 PM
no mention of a bar area , a ping pong table,or air hockey........strange...:huh:

SteelCityMan786
09-21-2008, 02:06 PM
no mention of a bar area , a ping pong table,or air hockey........strange...:huh:

Why? Do you plan on going over to Hammer's House and getting hammered every night? :toofunny:

MACH1
09-21-2008, 02:21 PM
It could double as a nekid room. :laughing:

Blonde Bomber
09-21-2008, 02:30 PM
If there will be no bar area, since it was not mentioned. I would suggest at least a sink other than the bathroom.

GBMelBlount
09-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I need new speakers and a 60"+ plasma in the near future

Have you considered a hi-def projector in lieu of a plasma?

Preacher
09-21-2008, 04:53 PM
I have about 1400 sq ft of basement space that I am finishing. There is a section pre plumbed so we will be putting in a bathroom, a storage area and, my baby, the home theater room. Rest of the area will be open for a general play/living room.

I am having it professionally done as I don't have the interest or time to invest to do it myself.

Anyone have any suggestions (things to avoid, financing options, etc.)? I am debating on whether I will take a home equity loan out to pay for it or a line of credit...

I am guestimating the cost to be in the $20,000 to $25,000 range..

Home Equity Line of Credit will give you the opportunity to claim the interest on your taxes. However, remember that your home is collateral.

Depending on what they are doing for wiring the back speakers.... May I suggest Rocketfish if they don't run the wires to the back of the room.

stlrtruck
09-22-2008, 08:14 AM
Dude, that makes for one hell of a Great Steelers Room!!!!!

Hammer67
09-22-2008, 10:14 AM

Yes, there will be a small room for a poker table and a mini fridge. Not worried about a sink, though. I don't get enough guests as it is to matter. I moved to Detroit a few years ago as it is where my wife is from. All my buddies are spread across the country and the people I work with now all have families and such. The odd get together would be for poker or movies. Hence not wanting a full out bar or pool table, etc.

Hammer67
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM
Home Equity Line of Credit will give you the opportunity to claim the interest on your taxes. However, remember that your home is collateral.

Depending on what they are doing for wiring the back speakers.... May I suggest Rocketfish if they don't run the wires to the back of the room.

That's what I was thinking...and I may just roll it into my mortgage.

Rocketfish is the Best Buy line of products...which I tend to want to stay away from. ;)

I am actually wiring the speakers myself. Everything will be low gauge wall wiring behind the drywall and will terminate at wall plates to allow for 7.1 surround. I am staying away from in wall speakers to allow for portability. The corner shelving for the components will have a door access from the outside wall to get to the back connections without having to move the components in the room. All wiring will be behind the walls if possible.

All cabling will be from monoprice.com...of course! Cheapest and best stuff in the biz.

Preacher
09-22-2008, 05:41 PM
That's what I was thinking...and I may just roll it into my mortgage.

Rocketfish is the Best Buy line of products...which I tend to want to stay away from. ;)

I am actually wiring the speakers myself. Everything will be low gauge wall wiring behind the drywall and will terminate at wall plates to allow for 7.1 surround. I am staying away from in wall speakers to allow for portability. The corner shelving for the components will have a door access from the outside wall to get to the back connections without having to move the components in the room. All wiring will be behind the walls if possible.

All cabling will be from monoprice.com...of course! Cheapest and best stuff in the biz.

Yeah, I normally try and stay away from Best buy as well... but after researching it... I couldn't find anything else that worked for me. That one did...

On wiring... Have you thought about running a half-inch or 3/4 inch pipe through the frame and then running the wires through it? That way, if you decide down the road you want to run other low-voltage wiring, you already have a conduit...

Also, run another one lower down for high voltage wiring.

Godfather
09-23-2008, 12:42 PM
You can decorate a basement a lot cheaper:

http://www.kentucky.com/181/story/532854.html

Hammer67
09-23-2008, 03:35 PM
Um...oh my god, no.

Preacher
09-23-2008, 04:04 PM
Um...oh my god, no.

:laughing:

Gotta admit though... that does look pretty good.

Though I would NEVER put it in my basement..

GBMelBlount
09-24-2008, 05:58 AM
I need new speakers... I am staying away from in wall speakers to allow for portability.

Will your speakers be used only for home theater or to play music as well?

For dedicated home theater, you might want to take a look at the Onkyo 7.1 System for value & performance. I believe Lloydfan4life has it and I saw some great reviews and posts about them on avsforum.com. I believe it is bundled with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver as well.

Personally, I have a 6 year old bose AM15 5.1system which I like, and a beastly pair of Definitive Technology bipolar floor speakers for cranking music during my workouts.

Hammer67
09-24-2008, 06:45 AM
Will your speakers be used only for home theater or to play music as well?

For dedicated home theater, you might want to take a look at the Onkyo 7.1 System for value & performance. I believe Lloydfan4life has it and I saw some great reviews and posts about them on avsforum.com. I believe it is bundled with an Onkyo 7.1 receiver as well.

Personally, I have a 6 year old bose AM15 5.1system which I like, and a beastly pair of Definitive Technology bipolar floor speakers for cranking music during my workouts.

Probably 80% Movies, TV and Video Games, 20% music. I hav ebeen looking at Boston Accoustics for speakers. I have been considering upgrading my Yamaha receiver for the Onkyo TX-SR606, mainly as it is an HDMI switch, upscaling video and allows for the new Blu-Ray audio formats.

I have also been considering a sub and the speaker system from www.svsound.com.

GBMelBlount
09-24-2008, 07:38 AM
Probably 80% Movies, TV and Video Games, 20% music. I hav ebeen looking at Boston Accoustics for speakers. I have been considering upgrading my Yamaha receiver for the Onkyo TX-SR606, mainly as it is an HDMI switch, upscaling video and allows for the new Blu-Ray audio formats.

I have also been considering a sub and the speaker system from www.svsound.com.

Wow. That looks like an awesome system. If you're considering upgrading to an Onkyo Receiver you may want to look at the Onkyo bundle. The system your considering is a fairly good size but it's aesthetically a very attractive system, in which case I wouldn't mind the size. Would you plan on using speaker stands?

Speaking of Boston Acoustics. I also have a Boston Acoustics SubSat7 5.1 surround system I purchased about 13 years ago. I am really happy with it. The surround speakers are built like small tanks and the bass is better than the bose, though the accuracy isn't.

As you are working on this you might want to check with Silver and Black as well, as I believe he is a skilled carpenter, at least to the degree that a Raiders fan could possibly be.... :chuckle:

Hammer67
09-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Of course, all of these upgrades will have to go through the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but the room itself is my baby. LOL.

Cost is a factor in terms of equipment. I can make do with my current system and upgrade as time goes by. Curretnyl I have a Yamaha receiver and Kenwood speakers. The Kenwood's would probably be upgraded first as they are entry level and not that great.

GBMelBlount
09-24-2008, 10:45 AM
Of course, all of these upgrades will have to go through the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) but the room itself is my baby. LOL.

Cost is a factor in terms of equipment. I can make do with my current system and upgrade as time goes by. Curretnyl I have a Yamaha receiver and Kenwood speakers. The Kenwood's would probably be upgraded first as they are entry level and not that great.

The other thing you could consider hammer is looking for used speakers and receivers on ebay or through avsforum. I love the "new smell" home theater and audio equipment, but you can get some really nice "gently used" :chuckle: equipment for 25 or 30 cents on the dollar. That's how I got a my definitive technology speakers on the cheap......except for the shipping, which was $170 on those beasts! lol. Anyway, Just a thought....I seriously can't wait to see how this turns out for you. :thumbsup:

Preacher
09-24-2008, 03:24 PM
Hammer...

9 years ago, I bought some Cambridge soundworks speakers, at that time the line I bought was the bottom line of the high end. (wall mount system)

they STILL kick the crap out of most speaker systems I hear, including some bose systems.

The short-comings are probably from that fact I haven't upgraded my receiver yet either.

Here is their website.

http://www.cambridgesoundworks.com/store/category.cgi?category=0

Preacher
09-24-2008, 03:25 PM

Of course (and I am sure you know this), the technology change is going to be in the receiver... not really the speaker as much.

So if you are looking for the top of the top of the top, I would go with the receiver first for the most bang for your buck. Then go with speakers later. Then again, if you are a patient man, go with great speakers now, knowing that they will still be EXCELLENT speakers 3 years from now, and then save your money for the top of the line receiver 3 or 4 years from now. So I guess that cuts both ways as well.

MACH1
09-24-2008, 05:41 PM
Of course (and I am sure you know this), the technology change is going to be in the receiver... not really the speaker as much.

So if you are looking for the top of the top of the top, I would go with the receiver first for the most bang for your buck. Then go with speakers later. Then again, if you are a patient man, go with great speakers now, knowing that they will still be EXCELLENT speakers 3 years from now, and then save your money for the top of the line receiver 3 or 4 years from now. So I guess that cuts both ways as well.

Or just blow all your credit on the system and let the gov. bail you out. :chuckle:

Hammer67
09-25-2008, 11:49 AM

Actually, the receiver is the most volatile part of the audio system as features change year by year...speakers really make the difference as I already have a decent receiver...my only need to update that would be to take advantage of the new audio formats offered by BluRay, so speakers are indeed my highest priority...anything would be better then what I currently have.

Preacher
09-25-2008, 02:28 PM
Actually, the receiver is the most volatile part of the audio system as features change year by year...speakers really make the difference as I already have a decent receiver...my only need to update that would be to take advantage of the new audio formats offered by BluRay, so speakers are indeed my highest priority...anything would be better then what I currently have.

Ahhh...

Give Cambridge SOundworks a listen then. I have been thoroughly impressed with mine.

Hammer67
09-25-2008, 03:32 PM
Appreciate all the tips, guys. One thing I have to ask...I am hearing a TON of great things about this system in avsforum.com and other pro review sites. Specifically since this will be a home theater room, it might be the way to go: http://www.svsound.com/products-sys-sbs.cfm