PDA

View Full Version : Play calling or execution...or both

BlitzburghRockCity
11-28-2005, 11:48 PM
I have never seen such poor execution on offense.. OL cant block, running backs cant find lanes or stay upright when they do, WR's arent getting open.. Ben was rusty and forced passes and underthrew way too many times, bonehead penalties like false starts left and right.

Coaches calling the plays are just completely dumbfounding... sneak play on 4th down, onside kick, not attackin the middle of the field.. I just cant figure it out to save my life.

Koopa
11-28-2005, 11:51 PM
it's all on cowher...... that's why i ain't that disappointed right now i'm used to this bullshit already..... big game= another cowher L

AvoidLLoyd95
11-28-2005, 11:54 PM
I understand the false starts, but like I said in my thread, the play calling was very suspect. I think the D was good tonight. Ben was rusty, o.k. The play calling...terrible. That is all you can say.

Livinginthe past
11-28-2005, 11:57 PM
The D done the best they could - I think the Steelers chance came and went when they had Manning on the rack.

If you hit him for points - it trebles the pressure he is under and makes him more likely to throw a few bad ones.

The O-Line was awful - the RB's were fighting off Colts as soon as they got the hand off.

I have no idea what is going on with football this year - not many teams can play consistent good football - it seems to be a bit of a lottery at times.

Kudos to the Colts they played a great game.

NM

Prosdo
11-29-2005, 12:02 AM
Something has to change with that offensive line. It was horrible tonight. The defense was missing tackles left and right also.

Koopa
11-29-2005, 12:06 AM
the d did the best they can do and cowher just did everything he can in his power to call shit plays to help us lose.........damn i've always hated cowhers, i just don't say it much cause i know a few of y'all like him, livin is right he is so damn over-rated, i'm tired of nice regular season records already i want them to win a damn superbowl **** winning the division a million times in a row. i think it's time to say good bye to cowher after this season win it all or not. big ben needs a coach that would use him the right way and that's in the shoot gun and letting him do his thang

BurghThing
11-29-2005, 12:06 AM
I vote for execution.

For the entire Offensive line, "special" teams and coaching staff.

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 12:16 AM
The Colts D line is so small as well. No excuse for not opening any holes. They looked scared tonight and it showed.

A healthy New England team would have ***** slapped the Colts tonight. Until we learn to rip the heart out of the best teams we ain't going to be the best.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2005, 12:18 AM
The defense showed up.. i mean face it.. we held the colts to 2 TD's..and the rest were FG's..we had our chances... the offense sputtered..but the chances and playcalling by Cowher and Wiz were just the downfall.

Steelersfan
11-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Besides the first play of the game for the Colts our D played pretty good. I did notice them miss a few tackles but that is far from why we lost.
So I have a few questions maybe some of you can answer.
How many draws or screen plays can you call game after game? Why are they always on 3rd down? Why do we never throw 8 yds when we need 8 yds for the first? Why do you call an onside kick down by 9 on the road at the start if the half? I won't even talk about 4th down plays cause I don't think anyone can explain those. Why is Parker still the Starter? If you check my posts here you will see I said weeks back that we will not win with him as the starter. Nothing against him, he is just not the type of back we win with. What in the hell is wrong with Bettis and Staley? Why isn't Stalet the starter, Bettis the backup and Parker the 3rd down back?
And my final question, what will cowher say in his press conference about the onside kick call? Maybe, "I would do it again" like after the AFC championship last year?
Ok, I am done ranting! But Cowher does need a wake up call and either get with the program or leave because I for one am tired of him since the whole Kordell thing and the way he gets out coached in games that matter.

hmmmmmmmm
11-29-2005, 12:24 AM
Its all on Cowher LOL. The secondary is horrible the only big play they made was because of a boneheaded move by Manning underthrowing his WR. James was running at will on your D as well. Parker isnt as good as everyone hyped him up to be at the start of the season(although I think hes alright he just isnt that good yet but hell be alot better next year). The O-Line is horrible now you know why Maddox took as many sacks as he did.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2005, 12:44 AM
I swear if we could play a complete game just once..it would be a game for the ages !!! But we can never seem to show up in all 3 phases at one time....

pitt
11-29-2005, 12:56 AM
Coaches calling the plays are just completely dumbfounding... sneak play on 4th down, onside kick, not attackin the middle of the field.. I just cant figure it out to save my life.

:confused: :horror: :mad: :nono: :sadpace: :doh:
If you manage to figure it out, let us know. All I can say is un******believable.

BlitzburghRockCity
11-29-2005, 01:06 AM
This just has me so freekin pissed off I cant even think straight. I just get so sick and tired of being out coached week in and week out when u play tough teams.

Beating the browns, the titans, the texans, the ratbirds, and even the bengals because they are in our division and we know them..doesnt take much game planning because we are more physical than those teams and we can force our will on offense by running the ball, playing great defense and using play action and a smart passing game to win. And in the bengals and ratbirds games..it doesnt matter who game plans for what..its just an all out war.

Its just so dis heartening to see us get continually out coached when we have the players that can match up w/ anyone.

SteelerFanInATL
11-29-2005, 08:40 AM
Definatly play calling, no doubt.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-29-2005, 11:31 AM
The Colts D line is so small as well. No excuse for not opening any holes. They looked scared tonight and it showed.

A healthy New England team would have ***** slapped the Colts tonight. Until we learn to rip the heart out of the best teams we ain't going to be the best.
I seriously doubt that. Even wo the injuries their secondary is weak at best.

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 11:40 AM
I seriously doubt that. Even wo the injuries their secondary is weak at best.

You doubt what? The Patriots have proven the last two years what a championship team does against opponents like the Colts. This year they're decimated with injuries. But Belicheck clearly knows how to coach and Cowher doesn't. You have to confuse Manning and throw crap at him he doesn't expect. They were doing just that until Einstein decided to try an onside kick, and Ben made that bonehead throw at the end of the first half instead of running the ball for a first down.

Grey
11-29-2005, 11:49 AM
Why is Parker still the Starter? If you check my posts here you will see I said weeks back that we will not win with him as the starter. Nothing against him, he is just not the type of back we win with. What in the hell is wrong with Bettis and Staley? Why isn't Staley the starter, Bettis the backup and Parker the 3rd down back?

Exactly!!!!

Now that Staley is healthy (for how long who knows), Staley #1, Bettis #2, Parker 3rd downs. I think Cowher is moving toward that setup, and you might see it next week. Early on, they didn't think that Parker could pick up the blitz, but I thought that he did it better than most of the o-line last night when they started using Parker on third downs.

Here we go.
Grey

Grey
11-29-2005, 11:56 AM
Everyone is down on the playcalling, and I grant you that the onside kick, and the 4th down quarterback draw were poor choices. But what was wrong with the general gameplan? What was wrong with the playcalling? Honestly, I'm completely open to other opinions and would like to hear some specifics.

To me, it seemed reasonable to try to run the ball and pass short to lengthen our time of posession and get some nice long drives going. I found fault in the execution of the plays and the bonehead penalties that kept killing us.

Here we go.
Grey

jtdapit
11-29-2005, 01:12 PM
this game is in the past lets start talking cinci, and their powerful offense and defense

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-29-2005, 01:17 PM
You doubt what? The Patriots have proven the last two years what a championship team does against opponents like the Colts. This year they're decimated with injuries. But Belicheck clearly knows how to coach and Cowher doesn't. You have to confuse Manning and throw crap at him he doesn't expect. They were doing just that until Einstein decided to try an onside kick, and Ben made that bonehead throw at the end of the first half instead of running the ball for a first down.
I doubt that a heathly Patys team would have beat the Colts. Yes the onside kick was a bad call, and Ben made a mistake and we never recovered from both of those decsions, but them blame needs to be placed on the O line. They were and have been man handled in the past couple of games. No holes= no running game. Pass protection weak at best. They need to step it up if we are going to do anything.

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 01:21 PM
You mean a healthy Pats team that won the last 3 out of 4 Superbowls. Yeah, they'd have NO chance against this Colts team. Hell the 72 Dolphins, 78 Steelers, 84 49ers would all get KILLED by this Colts team. They are the BEST EVER! :rolleyes:

As a matter of fact the Colts should just go up to Detroit and wait for the NFC playoffs to end.

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-29-2005, 01:25 PM
Best Ever! Please! Anyone of those other teams that you mentioned would destroy the Colts. Especially a HEALTHY 78 Steelers team.

Eztarget
11-29-2005, 01:26 PM
Best Ever! Please!

Didn't the :rolleyes: give away my sarcasm?

Cape Cod Steel Head
11-29-2005, 01:36 PM
Sorry, I missed it.

HeroDecks
11-29-2005, 01:40 PM
this game is in the past lets start talking cinci, and their powerful offense and defense

Good idea, let's talk Cincy! I honestly don't see the Steelers losing 3 in a row, and if you hold our offense to 2 tds like you did the Colts then I think you can still stay in your gameplan and run. (Not hard to do on us).

Let me throw this question out there.

When the Bengals used to be eliminated (by week 8) from any playoff hopes I would be cheering on the Steelers in the playoffs, just because they are from the division.

IF the Steelers ended up missing the playoffs for some strange reason and the Bengals were in, would you want the Bengals to do well or would you just cheer on whoever was playing them?

Most Steeler fans I talk to say they could do it for the Bengals, but not the Browns. What would you do personally?

tony hipchest
11-29-2005, 02:02 PM
personally i would root for the colts over the bengals just cause i like what the colts have done and the way they play on offense ever since they drafted m. faulk. i am a fan of the triplets. i wish they couldve prevented the pats from getting to the super bowl. i had no problem pulling for the bills when they went to 4 in a row. i also had no problem pulling for the browns to beat the broncos. i could pull for the bengals (i did twice against the 49ers in the sb) never could i pull for the ravens though even against an nfc team. cant pull for the pats, broncos or raiders either so other than that if the bengals make it this year they will be who i want to win. (especially if they played the cowboys)

Ambridge
11-29-2005, 02:57 PM
With the exception of the Patriots game I'm putting the Jags, Ravens and Colts losses squarely on Cowher.
I'll let my sig do the talking.

jtdapit
11-29-2005, 03:21 PM
I would root for cinnci, over the browns in the playoffs any day but that doesnt matter seeing as were gonna be in the playoffs! Fact!

clevestinks
11-29-2005, 03:50 PM
Tommy was the blame in the Jags game. And maybe in the Ratbird game.

Ben looked a little gimpy last night, and he really didn`t have the time to go downfield. Our wideouts don`t seem to get open either.

Play calling was a little off, but exucution was terrible. And penalties WOW

Maybe its just me, but the Colts didn`t seem like an unbeatable team last night.
I wouldnt be afraid to play them again in the playoffs. Ben needs a couple games to feel good again!

Stlrs4Life
11-29-2005, 06:47 PM
OL..............................Sucks, plain and simple.