PDA

View Full Version : Bruce Arians

Best coast Steeler
09-21-2008, 07:35 PM
With the Steelers offense completely unable to match-up and adjust out there today, it's apparent that its time to get rid of the offensive coordinator. We got outcoached on the offensive side of the ball! I know our offensive line is average at best, but come on...they are still professional football players! I don't think I've ever seen a professional O-line get dismantled in that manner! I've been watching the Steelers since 1977 and I've never seen us get manhandled the way the eagles took it to us ever. Why not a few roll-outs, more screens...something!

Where the hell is Max Starks? He can't be any worse than these guys! Straight embarassing!

MasterOfPuppets
09-21-2008, 07:39 PM
:jerkit: weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee....................:laughing:

steelpride12
09-21-2008, 07:43 PM
HA so its Arians fault Ben didn't have one sec. to dump the ball. The O Coordinator calls plays and our offense didn't have many of those because of the line.
Arians surely made excellent calls on many occasions, but you can see the great call because Ben was on the ground.

Ben looked good Week 1 and 2 with the play calls...why? Because he had time to throw and Willie had spaces to run in. He didn't today and that Arians fault. NO!

Wanna talk about a real problem...the OL and the OL COACH!

SteelCityMan786
09-21-2008, 07:46 PM
Would you people stop bitching about Arians?

Arians could have called better plays, but ultimately IT'S THE PLAYERS EXECUTION OF THE PLAYS THAT WILL ULTIMATELY DECIDE THE PACE OF THE GAME! Sure Refs make bad calls, and random things happen, but it's the players that determine whether they want to fight it or let whatever went wrong go to their heads.

Havik
09-21-2008, 07:48 PM
No, with the exception of a few games including today's his play calling has been pretty good since he became offensive coordinator. He has a good relationship with Roethlisberger and has given him more control of the offense. Giving him the freedom to modify the playbook and call audibles along with Ken Anderson's coaching has contributed to Ben becoming an elite quarterback. Zierlien needs to be fired, I have no idea why this guy is coaching in the NFL. I'd be surprised if he was capable of coaching on a high school team. I'd like to see the Steelers hire an o-line coach from the college ranks that is good at developing young talent such as the coaches from LSU or Oklahoma. Zierlein has made it obvious he doesn't know what he is doing.

HereWeGoSteelers219
Not sure why Max won't get a chance to play. He was good enough to start for a super bowl team and watching Willie Colon get burned just makes me sick.

It's extremely difficult to do anything on offense when we are just getting blown away on the trenches.

Snap, 3 step drop, 3 guys in Ben's face.

fansince'76
Hey, why not? I'm sure we can get a completely new system installed by next week. And the pass protection will probably still blow. :coffee:

steelpride12
Would you people stop bitching about Arians?

Arians could have called better plays, but ultimately IT'S THE PLAYERS EXECUTION OF THE PLAYS THAT WILL ULTIMATELY DECIDE THE PACE OF THE GAME! Sure Refs make bad calls, and random things happen, but it's the players that determine whether they want to fight it or let whatever went wrong go to their heads.
:hatsoff::applaudit: THANK YOU!
Arians is not the one on the field making the plays all he does is call them and it's up to the players to commit!
YOU CAN"T WHEN YOUR QB AND RUNNING BACK ARE ON THE GROUND EVERY PLAY!

Hines0wnz
09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
HA so its Arians fault Ben didn't have one sec. to dump the ball. The O Coordinator calls plays and our offense didn't have many of those because of the line.
Arians surely made excellent calls on many occasions, but you can see the great call because Ben was on the ground.

Ben looked good Week 1 and 2 with the play calls...why? Because he had time to throw and Willie had spaces to run in. He didn't today and that Arians fault. NO!

Amen. This pretty much sums it all up. :thumbsup:

St33lersguy
09-21-2008, 07:54 PM
HELL YEAH. That would help to make up for not improving the O-line, him along with s*it for brains Larry Zierlein and getting rid of every starter on the O-line when the season is over and the QBs get sacked 75 times

Edman
09-21-2008, 07:55 PM
You can stick Dan Marino back there and he still wouldn't be able to get a pass off.

The Offensive Line sucked, plain and simple.

ShutDown24
09-21-2008, 07:59 PM
Arians isn't the best play caler in the league by a longshot, I don't like his play selections at all. But saying fire him now? That's retarded. At least let him finish out this season, then after two years of questionable play calling (In my mind) evaluate whether or not you want him. The owners and managment my be in favor of the job he does.

lilyoder6
09-21-2008, 08:04 PM
wow.. ur first post is about firing bruce arians??? thats is insane.. wasn't long till a thread like this started.. but i guess i should get used to it.. b/c evrytime we lose it seems that we should fire bruce.....

another pointless thread

Shoes
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
Remember Ben will always say the O line did a great job....:chuckle:

SteelCityMan786
09-21-2008, 08:07 PM
:hatsoff::applaudit: THANK YOU!
Arians is not the one on the field making the plays all he does is call them and it's up to the players to commit!
YOU CAN"T WHEN YOUR QB AND RUNNING BACK ARE ON THE GROUND EVERY PLAY!

*Takes a Bow*

How about we all start trying to move on and get ready for the Charm City?

Best coast Steeler
09-21-2008, 08:08 PM

I know that Arians is not on the field playing every down(Duh!) but man, football is all about match- ups and adjustments. Its a chess match. If the plays you're calling as a coordinator are getting exploited, you do something to different! Staying in the same sets and continuing to run the same plays, is just dumb! The eagles defense is solid, but we made them look all world today.
By blasting Arians I'm in no ways excusing the poor play of our Line...they suck, but Arians and Coach Z has to do a better job of making some in game adjustments so they dont get exploited!

revefsreleets
Watch the first series we ran again.

It was brilliant playcalling.

Then the Eagles went blitz crazy, and exposed a flaw in our OL.

Stupid is as stupid does, but, thankfully, out coaches aren't stupid. We'll fix the problems next week.

fansince'76
Remember Ben will always say the O line did a great job....:chuckle:

And if he said any different publicly he'd be called a crybaby. I hope he's chewing their asses privately.

rich4eagle
09-21-2008, 08:13 PM
My Observations

First Arians indeed called a poor game and has done that before. The Eagles decided to all out blitz and the Steelers never countered with draws screens flat passes and quick slants and fly patterns all which could have countered the blitz schemes.

And they never even attempted to establish a running game instead used deep handoffs for up the middle runs right into the oncoming blitzes

I also blame Ben. This for the first time. When you are getting blitzed on every play you must just get rid of the ball throw it away or throw quick patterns but at least stop holding on to it:tt:

Rhee Rhee
09-21-2008, 08:20 PM
The only thing Arians did wrong was not preparing for the sack that we had on 3rd and 1 when leftwich was in the game.

we should've had the ST teams ready but instead blew 10+ seconds trying to regroup and lost anyway...

whether it was tomlin's call or arians call that should've never happend..

Best coast Steeler
09-21-2008, 08:23 PM
wow.. ur first post is about firing bruce arians??? thats is insane.. wasn't long till a thread like this started.. but i guess i should get used to it.. b/c evrytime we lose it seems that we should fire bruce.....

another pointless thread

Clearly you dont fire Arians right now in the middle of the season, but its apparent he and the O-lines coach are part of the problem. "Wasn't long before a thread like this gets started" is evident that he's a problem! It just furthers my point. Look, Im just stating that his inability to adjust, points to a real problem. You cant tell me the Rams O-line is better than ours. They surely arent, but they still didnt give up 8 sacks to the eagles! We got outcoached. Straight up!

And since when does it matter if what a "first" post should be about? That statement in itself is insane!

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-21-2008, 08:47 PM
No way we fire Arians. He is responsible for 2 hurricanes, the high price of oil and I think the plague all before this game and never got fired.

I will say that it doesnt look like he or Zeirline made any adjustments at halftime to help with the blitz, other than bring Heath Miller into the backfield.

There were numerous things you can do against a blitz, ie. screen passes, roll the pocket, tighten up line splits, throw quick passes, even zone run block (apparantly they have practiced some), run some misdirection type reverses and I saw nothing.

The O line clearly had problems blocking 6 man blitzes, but there are ways to combat that and nobody did that.

Ask yourself what happens if the Steelers blitz 6 and leave 5 in coverage???? Most QB's make a hot read, a quick slant, screen pass, etc.

Poor play, but even poorer coaching IMO.

BIGBENFASTWILLIE
09-21-2008, 08:52 PM
why not line two backs up in the shot gun to provide ben with some extra time to throw. and then have the option to bail it to a RB if play falls apart

Steel_Bus_24
09-21-2008, 08:52 PM
No way we fire Arians. He is responsible for 2 hurricanes, the high price of oil and I think the plague all before this game and never got fired.

I will say that it doesnt look like he or Zeirline made any adjustments at halftime to help with the blitz, other than bring Heath Miller into the backfield.

There were numerous things you can do against a blitz, ie. screen passes, roll the pocket, tighten up line splits, throw quick passes, even zone run block (apparantly they have practiced some), run some misdirection type reverses and I saw nothing.

The O line clearly had problems blocking 6 man blitzes, but there are ways to combat that and nobody did that.

Ask yourself what happens if the Steelers blitz 6 and leave 5 in coverage???? Most QB's make a hot read, a quick slant, screen pass, etc.

Poor play, but even poorer coaching IMO.

QFT.

Im not saying fire him but he should be called out for the lack of adjustments and taking away Heath Miller.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Well... we lost a game.

I guess it was inevitable....

Congrats... This is teh third thread to win the coveted award!!!!!!!!

http://azbattlerifles.com/images/sky-is-falling.jpg

revefsreleets
This was a cascading thing. As the line lost faith, so did Ben, and the whole thing fell apart. And the Eagles were so right to just keep blitzing.

But this is professional football, not college. Things will change next week. Bank it.

HereWeGoSteelers219
why not line two backs up in the shot gun to provide ben with some extra time to throw. and then have the option to bail it to a RB if play falls apart

Then who do you throw to? Another part of the problem was recievers jogging their routes. They showed them a few times and they weren't running at all.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 08:58 PM
Then who do you throw to? Another part of the problem was recievers jogging their routes. They showed them a few times and they weren't running at all.

No.....

They were looking back to see if they had to run hot routes because Ben was under pressure....again.

Problem is... by the time the took a couple steps and look back to make a decision about the hot route... Ben was going down and they just stopped the route. No reason to keep running when the QB is sacked.

LVSteelersfan
09-21-2008, 10:43 PM
The coaching totally sucked. Why didn't we go for a field goal on that last play and try an onside kick? Just stupid. No adjustments made at halftime at all. They stopped running the ball and when they did they ran it right up the middle. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And I hate that Philly kicker. Damn, he got some monster kicks off. I don't advocate firing Arians, but that line coach has GOT TO GO. Those guys look worse than high schoolers out there. Whiffing on every single play. BTW, we are 2-1 and still in first place. The Defense was AWESOME. Just gotta fix a couple things and win the next one.

Preacher
09-21-2008, 10:59 PM
The coaching totally sucked. Why didn't we go for a field goal on that last play and try an onside kick? Just stupid. No adjustments made at halftime at all. They stopped running the ball and when they did they ran it right up the middle. Stupid, stupid, stupid. And I hate that Philly kicker. Damn, he got some monster kicks off. I don't advocate firing Arians, but that line coach has GOT TO GO. Those guys look worse than high schoolers out there. Whiffing on every single play. BTW, we are 2-1 and still in first place. The Defense was AWESOME. Just gotta fix a couple things and win the next one.

No adjustments at half time? Did you see how our D. stepped up. Or did you mean just the O.

The coaching TOTALLY sucked? Really? Our D. sucked? Our punting sucked? Our ST coverage sucked?

Far reaching over generalizations do nothing.

Shoes
09-21-2008, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
Remember Ben will always say the O line did a great job....

And if he said any different publicly he'd be called a crybaby. I hope he's chewing their asses privately.

What does it matter what the public calls him....If he has another game like today, Ben will be collecting his 100+ million in a body cast .

fansince'76
09-21-2008, 11:02 PM
What does it matter what the public calls him....If he has another game like today, Ben will be collecting his 100+ million in a body cast .

And calling them out publicly will improve their blocking....how?

Shoes
09-21-2008, 11:16 PM
And calling them out publicly will improve their blocking....how?

I don't know if anything will improve their blocking. Their playing publicly why not call them out publicly... At this pace Ben won't make it to mid season.

Steel Pit
09-21-2008, 11:28 PM
To the thread originator, I agree that Arians has to go but it's not going to happen during the season. We'll have to put up with his plays and play calling for the remainder of the season.

I started bashing Arians last season and I don't see any changes in him this season. The dude is nothing more than a Cleveland Browns cast off who hangs his hat on one playoff game versus a weak Steelers defense in 2003. Sure, the Steelers can still win a weak AFC North division but I don't expect them to do much against the elite teams that they'll face this season. They simply don't have an offensive coordinator who's capable of beating a blitzing defensive scheme.

Arians philosophy just doesn't work in Pittsburgh. I mean come on, how often do you see a FB on the field? I believe that I saw Davis on the field 3 or 4 times yesterday. Running from a singleback formation just isn't getting the job done, and the passing plays, just like last season, the WR routes take TOO long to develop. Anyone with 2 brain cells would shorten the WR routes when they know that their offensive line is below average in pass protection.

Once again, nice post. don't worry about the bashers. They'll all be eating crow when Arians is fired at seasons end. You know, many of them jumped in here and gave Arians praise after the Steelers defeated the weak A$$ Texans and Browns but they won't dare lay blame on him, when blame is warranted, after the Steelers have their A$$E$ handed to them against an above average team. If anyone thinks that the Eagles are an elite team then you just wait, you haven't seen an A$$ whipping yet. Wait until the Steelers play one of the 3 or 4 elite teams on their schedule. :mad:

fansince'76
09-21-2008, 11:32 PM
If anyone thinks that the Eagles are an elite team then you just wait, you haven't seen an A$$ whipping yet. Wait until the Steelers play one of the 3 or 4 elite teams on their schedule. :mad:

Like whom? The 1-2 Jags? The 1-2 Colts? The 2-1 Pats* who were hammered by 25 points in their own backyard by a team that had won only 1 of its previous 17 games? The 3-0 Giants who were playing at home and still needed OT to scrape by a truly terrible Bengals team? Whom? IMO, the only team in the league at the moment that is playing top notch football and is actually playing like an "elite" team, and I hate to say it, are the Cowboys, and we don't play them for over 2 months.

MACH1
09-21-2008, 11:43 PM
If anyone has to go its Zierlien. I said it last year and I'm saying it now. Our guys up front need somebody to coach them the fundamentals which were obviously missing today. Maybe if they had a decent line coach they all wouldn't look like one legged turnstiles.

Steel Pit
09-22-2008, 12:04 AM
Like whom? The 1-2 Jags? The 1-2 Colts? The 2-1 Pats* who were hammered by 25 points in their own backyard by a team that had won only 1 of its previous 17 games? The 3-0 Giants who were playing at home and still needed OT to scrape by a truly terrible Bengals team? Whom?

Fan, you can believe that the Colts and Giants are not elite teams but you'll never fool me into believing it. Believe me, these 2 teams, as well as the Chargers, will have their $hit together when they face the Steelers. The Pats, no Sir, I didn't mention the Pats and elite in the same sentence.

Whom you ask? Besides the aforementioned teams, I'll throw in any AFC team that happens to be in the playoffs this year, i.e.. The Broncos and the Bills. We might as well mention the Cowboys as well. I won't attempt to convince myself that the Eagles are an elite team, they're a 3rd possibly 4th place team within their own division. The Steelers will face 5 or 6 teams this season that are better than the Eagles so if today was any indication of where the Steelers are headed, LOOK OUT BEN!

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Fan, you can believe that the Colts and Giants are not elite teams but you'll never fool me into believing it. Believe me, these 2 teams, as well as the Chargers, will have their $hit together when they face the Steelers.

And we won't? Give up on the season if you want, I'm not quite ready to at the moment.

Steel Pit
09-22-2008, 12:19 AM
And we won't? Give up on the season if you want, I'm not quite ready to at the moment.

I'll never give up, I've already said that the Steelers will win the division once again. I just don't see the Steelers, with Arians as the offensive coordinator, doing much more than making the playoffs and being ousted.

It's been proven time and time again, bringing the heat stifles Arians offensive philosophy and he's not capable of making in game adjustments. Anyway, that's the way that I see it. I respect your opinion so we'll have to agree to disagree, but I hope that you're right.. :drink:

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 12:25 AM
I'll never give up, I've already said that the Steelers will win the division once again. I just don't see the Steelers, with Arians as the offensive coordinator, doing much more than making the playoffs and being ousted.

It's been proven time and time again, bringing the heat stifles Arians offensive philosophy and he's not capable of making in game adjustments. Anyway, that's the way that I see it. I respect your opinion so we'll have to agree to disagree, but I hope that you're right.. :drink:

I respect yours as well. :cheers: I just hope they can figure something out, as today was ugly. :hope:

I also apologize for insinuating that you were giving up on the season. I should've known better than that. :drink:

MACH1
09-22-2008, 12:26 AM
Look at it this way 15-1 ain't so bad. :sofunny:

Steel Pit
09-22-2008, 12:29 AM
I respect yours as well. :cheers: I just hope they can figure something out, as today was ugly. :hope:

I also apologize for insinuating that you were giving up on the season. I should've known better than that. :drink:

It's cool, I understand. Steelers fans do tend to take offense to someone bashing the team so I expected it. I love the team, I'm just not an Arians fan.

GermericanSteelerFan
09-22-2008, 12:45 AM
Neither am I. Arians has to go, but obviously it can't happen until after the season is over. I didn't see a screen attempt until the 4th quarter. Anyone who has played any football knows that the #1 way to combat a blitzing defense is to run half-back screens in the flat or short, slant routes. I really don't blame the o-line coaching either. Our o-line was getting ran over. They were physically outmatched by a smaller d-line. They better hit the gym.

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 02:19 AM
Well... we lost a game.

I guess it was inevitable....

Congrats... This is teh third thread to win the coveted award!!!!!!!!

http://azbattlerifles.com/images/sky-is-falling.jpg

Theres a fine line between a die hard, devoted, zealot of a fan and a homer; and youre toeing that line real close! Anybody that knows anything about football and has a pair of decent eyes can see that this wasnt all about the O line and their deficiencies! The O coordinator couldnt make the proper adjustments! No three step drops, no effective screens, no rolling of the pocket, no slants...I can go on! When you get sacked six out of eight play in one quarter, the blame rest more on the coaching than the personnel.

Af the very least, we definitely should give Max a chance to show what he can do.

Now having said all that...It is not time to panic and fire this Yoman in the middle of the season. However, this isnt the only time his playcalllng has come into question. He's got to be able to adjust to the in-game conditions that directly impact our ability to score and move the ball! That s football 101!

Steel Pit
09-22-2008, 03:37 AM
Theres a fine line between a die hard, devoted, zealot of a fan and a homer; and youre toeing that line real close! Anybody that knows anything about football and has a pair of decent eyes can see that this wasnt all about the O line and their deficiencies! The O coordinator couldnt make the proper adjustments! No three step drops, no effective screens, no rolling of the pocket, no slants...I can go on! When you get sacked six out of eight play in one quarter, the blame rest more on the coaching than the personnel.

Af the very least, we definitely should give Max a chance to show what he can do.

Now having said all that...It is not time to panic and fire this Yoman in the middle of the season. However, this isnt the only time his playcalllng has come into question. He's got to be able to adjust to the in-game conditions that directly impact our ability to score and move the ball! That s football 101!

Right on Brother! :thumbsup:

Galax Steeler
09-22-2008, 03:40 AM
It won't happen till after the season I would say Arians will be gone along with our offensive line coach you can bet come draft day the line will have to be addresed.

roostermcw
09-22-2008, 08:20 AM
To the thread originator, I agree that Arians has to go but it's not going to happen during the season. We'll have to put up with his plays and play calling for the remainder of the season.

I started bashing Arians last season and I don't see any changes in him this season. The dude is nothing more than a Cleveland Browns cast off who hangs his hat on one playoff game versus a weak Steelers defense in 2003. Sure, the Steelers can still win a weak AFC North division but I don't expect them to do much against the elite teams that they'll face this season. They simply don't have an offensive coordinator who's capable of beating a blitzing defensive scheme.. :mad:

Arians has no creativity what so ever. He lacks the ability to adjust at all and continues to lack at being able to counter any form of presure from the defense. I was amazed that he was retained after last year and agree that to fire him now would be a mistake. He washed out in Cleveland and seemed to find a home with us. No matter how many games they win this year, he should be gone along with Zierling.

charlie martel
09-22-2008, 01:46 PM
Neither am I. Arians has to go, but obviously it can't happen until after the season is over. I didn't see a screen attempt until the 4th quarter. Anyone who has played any football knows that the #1 way to combat a blitzing defense is to run half-back screens in the flat or short, slant routes. I really don't blame the o-line coaching either. Our o-line was getting ran over. They were physically outmatched by a smaller d-line. They better hit the gym.

They should have also been using Health Miller the whole game and calling quick hitting rather than delayed running plays (which played into the strength of Philly's defense - speed).

PalmerSteel
09-22-2008, 02:09 PM
what is really sad is us fans watching the game from home can see what is coming before they even snap the ball, EVERY FRIKKIN TIME! thinking it has to be plays that are quick releases coming up NO MATTER WHAT. you could see it coming. just so obvious to the normal fan. that was the most embarassing offensive play AND playcalling i can remember watching since ben has been our QB.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 03:22 PM
Hold on people, we are 2-1 not 1-2 or 0-3.

I don't have any problem with Arians. It isn't his fault that the offensive line looked like five turnstyles out there and couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag.

missedgehead
09-22-2008, 03:29 PM
Arians' playcalling was so predictable, and has been that I could call out what play was gonna be next and so could a couple of other fellow Steeler fans I am friends with who have been LONG TIME FANS like myself. If we could, I think opposing defensive coordinators could also. It wasn't very hard to figure it out. The O line is a huge problem. Ben's refusal to throw the ball away and try to make a big play everytime he has the ball is a big problem. Sorry Ben fans, he is part of the team. If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the problem. Arians' play calling is a huge part of the problem. I think it is time for him to go.

43Hitman
09-22-2008, 03:32 PM
For everyone calling for Arians head...please just go away..We don't need this shit all week long...No one was saying a damn thing the last 2 weeks when we were winning.

missedgehead
09-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I didn't like Arians when we WERE winning to tell you the truth.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-22-2008, 03:52 PM

!

We all know what Starks can do, which isnt that impressive. Also, we all saw Colon struggle with speed off the edge again. I was hoping for Willie Colon to improve, but he still looked suspect to speed so far this season.

I believe Tony Hills will compete for the RT job next season and believe Arians will be the OC next season.

I am not a BA fan, but its 1 game and the execution was worse than the playcalling. The lack of decent adjustment was even worse.

Its just 1 game folks......chill out.

stlrtruck
09-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Its just 1 game folks......chill out.

Maybe it's the way in which the game was played that has most people's panties in a bunch!

I agree though. It was one game, to an NFC opponent.

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Ben's refusal to throw the ball away and try to make a big play everytime he has the ball is a big problem. Sorry Ben fans, he is part of the team.

I'm a Steelers fan first and foremost, Pats* fan. I'll lay the majority of the blame at Ben's feet when it's warranted. It wasn't warranted yesterday.

43Hitman
09-22-2008, 04:30 PM
I'm a Steelers fan first and foremost, Pats* fan. I'll lay the majority of the blame at Ben's feet when it's warranted. It wasn't warranted yesterday.

:applaudit: Well said brother!

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 04:51 PM
First and foremost, the line must be held accountable. they were terrible. However, the coaching staff made ZERO adjustments at all. They never attempted a swing pass to Willie or any RB screens. They were so unprepared for this game. And, when they did try to do some plays counter the blitz, guess what? THEY WORKED!

1.) Draw to Mewelde sucked in the defense and picked up 6 yards.
2.) Quick slant to Hines at the end of the first half picked up about 8 yards.

That's the only time I can recall us running those plays. I'm not sure why they abandoned them so much.

Also, why the F*CK would you pass the ball down at our own goal line when you know damn well he's going to get sacked for a safety? The way the defense was playing, that should've been a run play, and punt the ball.

Oh yeah, why did we not kick a FG when we needed it anyway at the end of the game?

Pathetic O-Line play and pathetic coaching lost this game.

austinfrench76
09-22-2008, 04:56 PM
10% couldn't agree more!!! And when did Ben lose his ability to throw the ball away or use his escape abiltity???

austinfrench76
09-22-2008, 04:57 PM
That's 100%!

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 05:23 PM
10% couldn't agree more!!! And when did Ben lose his ability to throw the ball away or use his escape abiltity???

In his career, Ben has rarley thrown the ball away.

And as for his escape ability, it's almost impossible to escape 3 or 4 guys who are all converging on you at once.

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:25 PM
Im done talking about Arians this is the final time.
Quick and simple you can't blame the play caller when Ben didn't have the time to make a play.
He called screens, circle routes, but they were covered and if No one was open after 2 seconds he was running for his life.
The OL is at fault and only them. The causes several penalties and couldn't block a three man rush..FINAL!

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 06:36 PM
Hold on people, we are 2-1 not 1-2 or 0-3.

I don't have any problem with Arians. It isn't his fault that the offensive line looked like five turnstyles out there and couldn't block their way out of a wet paper bag.

You obviously dont understand football. I guess you'd blame the car if I guy driving under the influence wrecked huh? How can you not have any fault wlth the offensive game plan when he kept calling all those pass plays, down by only 4. The eagles were licking their chops. Again, the ol-ine is not without fault...but they can only block so many. They sent an all out blitz on third down repeatedlyl Somebody was open! As a coach, you have to make the proper adjustments, counter and make em pay! and that starts with having competent coaches. Ben and the receivers have to make some hot reads and make em pay.
When your qb gets sacked 6 times in 8 plays...that's coaching and not necessarily all personnel.
Theres enough blame to pass around to the whole offense, but it starts with the coaches..that s all I'm saying. Now, do I think we can correct all that. Yes. I expect them (coaches and players) as professionals to make it happen.
Either way...I ride and die with the black and gold!:tt:

lilyoder6
09-22-2008, 06:39 PM
maybe some of the blame could go to bruce .. but y is it evrytime we lose we need to fire him

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 06:42 PM
You're kidding me here right? :doh:

Here we go round the Mulberrry bush - - again. :banging:

Fire Arians
Fire Tomlin
Trade Ben the Godsend :chuckle:
Get rid of that slug Parker :chuckle:
Troy is washed up :chuckle:
Reed is too busy taking nekkie pics in the shower and his head (the one on his shoulders :wink02:) isn't in the game :chuckle:
Sweed is a bust :chuckle:
Mendenhall isn't worth a 1st round draft pick :chuckle:
Santo is a trouble making douchebag :chuckle:

Etc., etc., etc.

C'mon people - it was ONE FREAKIN' GAME!!! I have absolutely NO problem with Bruce Arians and 98% of his playcalling - it's up to the players to execute on the field what they practice over and over again in their pre-game preparations.

It's really not the end of the world - - honest.

The Duke
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
maybe some of the blame could go to bruce .. but y is it evrytime we lose we need to fire him

:applaudit:

that's the question of the day

maybe because it's all cool and perfect till they can't get a win. then people just look for someone to blame it all on. maybe arians is an easy target :noidea:

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Because he's the reason why we got flat out embarassed yesterday. Im no offensive coordinator; I just play one online, but I definitely know what plays negate all out blitzes. Someone riddle me why were we passing 90% of the game when we're only down 4 points in the 4th quarter...thats just dumb. For those boneheaded reasons...Coach Arians must go eventually

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 06:46 PM
No, it's because our scapegoat got traded to Tampa Bay! :chuckle:

And so Arians is the next best target. :wink02:

steelpride12
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
I mean if were seriously all gonna freak out and jump off the Steel building over one game we had a chance in is ridiculous. Why don't we just move the team out of Pittsburgh thats how crazy this is.

Were 2-1 and looking pretty good other than the OL and i can't complain with that and am happy to be a fan for the best team in the league. Complain after were 2-5, but not now.

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 06:47 PM
Im no offensive coordinator; I just play one online, but I definitely know what plays negate all out blitzes.

Maybe you ought to apply then. :coffee:

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Maybe you ought to apply then. :coffee:

Exactly...my sentiments you nutthuggers! Keep it real. If you have no problems with looking like a high school team offensively, thats on you. Football 101...some things are elementary!:coffee:

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Exactly...my sentiments you nutthuggers! Keep it real. If you have no problems with looking like a high school team offensively, thats on you. Football 101...some things are elementary!:coffee:

Nuthugger? Nope, just a simple soul who isn't real fond of know-it-alls who tells someone else they don't understand the game simply because they disagree with said know-it-all's high-and-mighty opinion, that's all.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 07:03 PM
What's also elementary is that you ain't runnin' the team. All yer doin' is crabbin' about it.

Some things never change. :coffee:

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 07:03 PM
Nuthugger? Nope, just a simple soul who isn't real fond of know-it-alls who tells someone else they don't understand the game simply because they disagree with said know-it-all's high-and-mighty opinion, that's all.

No, your post border on homerism...thats all! :hatsoff:

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
No, your post border on homerism...thats all! :hatsoff:

Whatever, coach. :coffee:

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 07:04 PM
What's elementary is how you beat a blitz....

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 07:07 PM
What's elementary is how you beat a blitz....

Like I said, apply for the job then.

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 07:13 PM
Like I said, apply for the job then.

Hey excuse me for expecting our coaches to know the basics. Its not like you cant counter the blitz is all I'm saying...homer!:coffee:

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 07:15 PM
Hey excuse me for expecting our coaches to know the basics. Its not like you cant counter the blitz is all I'm saying...homer!:coffee:

Betchoo kick ass on Madden '09, huh? :coffee:

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 07:18 PM

So you expect an NFL offensive coordinator to look absolutely clueless on how to counter a blitz? Ever heard of a draw? Screen pass? Swing Pass? Circle Routes? Quick Slants? ANYTHING but Ben dropping back every play and getting creamed. Arians looked like a high school coach. Totally unprepared.

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 07:19 PM
There was no counter for this blitz! Not when Ben had 3 guys converging on him the moment the damn ball was snapped.

I am loving this, all the trolls are coming out after one loss.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 07:19 PM

Hey, why dontcha call up Mr. Tomlin and Mr. Arians and explain the basics of countering the blitz to them. I'm sure they'd appreciate your knowledge on this subject. Might wanna get Coach Z on the line too while you're at it.

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 07:20 PM
So you expect an NFL offensive coordinator to look absolutely clueless on how to counter a blitz? Ever heard of a draw? Screen pass? Swing Pass? Circle Routes? Quick Slants? ANYTHING but Ben dropping back every play and getting creamed. Arians looked like a high school coach. Totally unprepared.

No, I have a problem with members who condescend to others and act like they don't know anything about the game simply because they said something in disagreement with them.

Keep up with the argument or stay the hell out of it.

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 07:22 PM
No, I have a problem with members who condescend to others and act like they don't know anything about the game simply because they said something in disagreement with them.

Keep up with the argument or stay the hell out of it.

I'm just stating a point that was relevant to the thread. Arians was unprepared. That is all.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 07:24 PM

What if your offensive line gets bowled over the split second the ball is snapped. Then what?

We lost, we got our butts handed to us. We'll learn a lesson and move on. End of story.

:coffee:

Best coast Steeler
09-22-2008, 07:25 PM

Just the kind of response you'd expect from a person with the football I.Q of a pre-schooler....lol. I dont mind loosing but the way we got beat, but that was unacceptable!
Anybody that know anything about football will agree with my post...they stand on their own legs Homer!

RoethlisBURGHer
09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
I know something about football.

Now I didn't see the game, only the lowlights (because for me there were no highlights).

From what I saw, the offensive line got beat and it didn't matter what plays were ran, Ben wasn't given enough time from the offensive line to throw short slants, screens, run a draw play.

The thing is, for all those plays to work the defense needs to be lead upfield, but the QB given enough time to get the ball to a receiver. But there were 3-5 defenders in the backfield the moment the ball was snapped to Ben.

It wasn't shoddy playcalling, it was the offensive line getting whipped like a rented mule the entire game.

HereWeGoSteelers219
09-22-2008, 07:29 PM
What if your offensive line gets bowled over the split second the ball is snapped. Then what?

We lost, we got our butts handed to us. We'll learn a lesson and move on. End of story.

The O-Line was pathetic. That must improve. But the fact that Arians was running the same 5 step drop every play was just unnaceptable. Then, the fact that he was stupid enough to call a pass play down at the goal line was just putrid.

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 07:31 PM
Because he's the reason why we got flat out embarassed yesterday. Im no offensive coordinator; I just play one online, but I definitely know what plays negate all out blitzes. Someone riddle me why were we passing 90% of the game when we're only down 4 points in the 4th quarter...thats just dumb. For those boneheaded reasons...Coach Arians must go eventually

Riiiiiighto. He was out there (not) making the plays. :doh:

Here's the answer to your riddle, Fo Shiddle. Because the running game obviously wasn't getting them anywhere - the Eagles totally shut down our running game and our overpaid poor excuse of an OL wasn't opening up any holes.

Whaddya wanna bet you get shown the door long before Coach Arians?

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 07:33 PM

Sad but true. Pathetic, isn't it?

My trigger finger is getting really itchy.

Steelman16
09-22-2008, 07:38 PM
Sad but true. Pathetic, isn't it?

My trigger finger is getting really itchy.

:banned:

:chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:

It really is pathetic. I understand having a beef with gameplay, and playcalling and such, but really. The game's over. Yesterday. Time to move on.

Oh well. Some folks need something to complain about I guess. Glad Arians affords them the opportunity. :thumbsup:

SteelMember
09-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I know something about football.

Now I didn't see the game, only the lowlights (because for me there were no highlights).
Too Bad. You missed a great one-armed pick by Troy.
Maybe Arians can put him at wideout, after they cut sweed for not performing.:doh:

stillers4me
09-22-2008, 08:12 PM
Too Bad. You missed a great one-armed pick by Troy.
Maybe Arians can put him at wideout, after they cut sweed for not performing.:doh:

Wasn't that a Troy classic! He isn't called the Flyin' Hawaiin for nothing! :applaudit:

Troy's interception is up for Defensive Play of the week at NFL.com. Glad they noticed something good on the Steelers side of the ball. Go watch it.........and chill about the rest of the game for a few minutes!

X-Terminator
09-22-2008, 09:27 PM

After ONE loss? Hell, it happens after EVERY loss. It is absolutely uncanny how many people show up on this board to bash the hell out of the team whenever they lose, but they never show up after a win. This particular OP didn't even last one full day, though. Good job! :applaudit:

The sky is falling! Fire the coaches! Bench the QB! It's an annual rite of fall for "Steeler Nation" :coffee:

Edman
09-22-2008, 10:26 PM
This was to be expected. Now begins doom and gloom week.

"Our team sucks, fire this guy, bench the players, season is over." Then along comes the optimists. It's only one game, not so-and-so's fault, get lost bandwagoneers.

Just wait, it's gonna get real bad if we lose to Baltimore.

Steel Pit
09-22-2008, 10:31 PM
What's pathetic is the fact that forum members are being threatened with banishment simply because they don't agree with the moderators' assessment of Bruce Arians. That my friend is, downright pathetic.

Forums are designed for debates/squabbles. I haven't read anything that is out of line on this topic, just simple disagreements. Let the members settle it themselves. They don't need the forum police charging into action everytime there's a disagreement, especially a forum police squad member who's bias on the topic.

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 10:32 PM
What's pathetic is the fact that forum members are being threatened with banishment simply because they don't agree with the moderators' assessment of Bruce Arians. That my friend is, downright pathetic.

Forums are designed for debates/squabbles. I haven't read anything that is out of line on this topic, just simple disagreements. Let the members settle it themselves. They don't need the forum police charging into action everytime there's a disagreement, especially a forum police squad member who's bias on the topic.

If you have a problem with the way things were handled, take it up with the owner. And your assessment of the situation is dead wrong.

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 10:37 PM

Me thinks you really need to go back and re-read the thread in its entirety Steel Pit. Not that I feel I owe you or anyone else an explanation for our actions, but the proof is in the puddin' pal. I have absolutely NO problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion on Bruce Arians or anything else for that matter. Debate, as long as it is presented in a respectful manner, is healthy. What I do have a problem with is a newbie coming onto this board and taking unnecessary shots at members because they disagree with HIS exalted *cough* *choke* opinion. Capeche?

fansince'76
09-22-2008, 10:40 PM
Me thinks you really need to go back and re-read the thread in its entirety Steel Pit. Not that I feel I owe you or anyone else an explanation for our actions, but the proof is in the puddin' pal. I have absolutely NO problem with anyone disagreeing with my opinion on Bruce Arians or anything else for that matter. Debate, as long as it is presented in a respectful manner, is healthy. What I do have a problem with is a newbie coming onto this board and taking unnecessary shots at members because they disagree with HIS exalted *cough* *choke* opinion. Capeche?

No, we're supposed to sit idly by and let people flame each other.

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Then along comes the optimists. It's only one game, not so-and-so's fault, get lost bandwagoneers.

So what's wrong with being an optimist, Ed? :noidea: I refuse to blow an artery over one [ugly] loss in a season that is still in its infantile stages. I'm not blind and yes - there are some definite problems in several areas but it's way too early to throw in the towel (as some seem to be doing here) or throw anyone under the bus. There is time to address those issues and try to make adjustments as best Tomlin and the coaches can with what they have. I am admittedly the eternal optimist and those who know me off the board would confirm that. I'm not ashamed to acknowledge that I NEVER give up on any of my teams and I'm alive today because I live my life the same way. :thumbsup:

HometownGal
09-22-2008, 10:50 PM
No, we're supposed to sit idly by and let people flame each other.

And pay for them to do so!!!! :mad::mad::mad:

Michael Keller
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
After ONE loss? Hell, it happens after EVERY loss. It is absolutely uncanny how many people show up on this board to bash the hell out of the team whenever they lose, but they never show up after a win. This particular OP didn't even last one full day, though. Good job! :applaudit:

The sky is falling! Fire the coaches! Bench the QB! It's an annual rite of fall for "Steeler Nation" :coffee:

I said he stunk when he was at Cleveland , I said he was inept last year during the season, His play calling at the end of the play off game against Jacksonvile was shockingly bad. I said he should have been let go after the season. He was absolutely terrible yesterday and there is no sky falling . The man can not call a good game and certainly can not adjust during the game. Keep him around for the sake of stability and let some one else at least get involved in calling plays. Let Ben be a bigger part of the play selections. Tomlin better step up or it is going to be his butt on the line. I am not bashing this team . I am bashing this coach and quite frankly I can not understand how anybody could defend him. I love the Steelers and have for 55 years and this guy is breaking my heart. He is terrible . Absolutely terrible and I am not going to tell you or anyone else AFTER EVERY GAME THAT HE IS TERRIBLE ONCE AND FOR ALL WIN OR LOSE. We need a new offensive coordinator sooner or later.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 12:00 AM
I said he stunk when he was at Cleveland , I said he was inept last year during the season, His play calling at the end of the play off game against Jacksonvile was shockingly bad. I said he should have been let go after the season. He was absolutely terrible yesterday and there is no sky falling . The man can not call a good game and certainly can not adjust during the game. Keep him around for the sake of stability and let some one else at least get involved in calling plays. Let Ben be a bigger part of the play selections. Tomlin better step up or it is going to be his butt on the line. I am not bashing this team . I am bashing this coach and quite frankly I can not understand how anybody could defend him. I love the Steelers and have for 55 years and this guy is breaking my heart. He is terrible . Absolutely terrible and I am not going to tell you or anyone else AFTER EVERY GAME THAT HE IS TERRIBLE ONCE AND FOR ALL WIN OR LOSE. We need a new offensive coordinator sooner or later.

Well said, I and many others couldn't agree with you more. GO STEELERS!

nicesteel4life
09-23-2008, 12:12 AM

So So very True, but I dont see a change till next year and thats the sad part....

ytsan2q
09-23-2008, 12:16 AM
When they are blitzing more people than we can block. You have to throw quick slants over the middle. With the Eagles linebackers blitzing the middle was wide open for the slant. Ben should have been given the green light to check to the slant when he saw the Linebackers creeping up..

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 12:35 AM

And it's also an anual rite for those who disagree to TOTALLY EXAGERATE what is actually being posted. No one said the sky is falling, no one said to bench Roethlisberger, that's an absolute exageration. Keep it real people!

Preacher
09-23-2008, 02:38 AM
And it's also an anual rite for those who disagree to TOTALLY EXAGERATE what is actually being posted. No one said the sky is falling, no one said to bench Roethlisberger, that's an absolute exageration. Keep it real people!

We

REALLY

Need

a

sarcasm

Smiley!

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 04:29 AM
We

REALLY

Need

a

sarcasm

Smiley!

Maybe some do?? I don't.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 04:53 AM
If you have a problem with the way things were handled, take it up with the owner. And your assessment of the situation is dead wrong.

No, I'll pass. And why is my assessment of the situation dead wrong? Because you say so?

My assessment is this, a moderator has threatened to ban members simply because they don't agree with the members bashing of Bruce Arians. Well that's fine, they don't have to agree, to each his/her own. I didn't see any "flaming". I mean 2 members called each other a silly name but that was a two-way street. Did either of them lodge a complaint? I doubt it. Heck I was once called "flatfoot" in this forum, which by the way, I found to be very humerous, but in reality that should have been construed as "flaming". No action was taken against that member.

But then, on the other hand, a moderator, who is always quick to defend Arians, has attempted to take the blame away from Arians by criticizing the offensive linemen, see post #89. Well what if some of us like the offensive linemen and we take exception to the remarks? Do we have the authority to threaten the moderator with banishment simply because we disagree with the moderators' criticism of the offensive linemen?

No, of course not, and why would we. Although I may disagree, I still respect the other persons perspective and I would never abuse my authority by threatening to ban members that disagree with me.

If that is the case, and the moderators have the authority to ban anyone that they disagree with, then I request that you give me a lifetime ban PRONTO!

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:23 AM
That is pretty much their routine Steel Pit, one antagonizes the poster and trades jabs while the other swoops in and bans.

And your routine is to jump to conclusions and stick your big nose in where it doesn't belong. It's a tired one.

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:26 AM
No, I'll pass. And why is my assessment of the situation dead wrong? Because you say so?

My assessment is this, a moderator has threatened to ban members simply because they don't agree with the members bashing of Bruce Arians. Well that's fine, they don't have to agree, to each his/her own. I didn't see any "flaming". I mean 2 members called each other a silly name but that was a two-way street. Did either of them lodge a complaint? I doubt it. Heck I was once called "flatfoot" in this forum, which by the way, I found to be very humerous, but in reality that should have been construed as "flaming". No action was taken against that member.

But then, on the other hand, a moderator, who is always quick to defend Arians, has attempted to take the blame away from Arians by criticizing the offensive linemen, see post #89. Well what if some of us like the offensive linemen and we take exception to the remarks? Do we have the authority to threaten the moderator with banishment simply because we disagree with the moderators' criticism of the offensive linemen?

No, of course not, and why would we. Although I may disagree, I still respect the other persons perspective and I would never abuse my authority by threatening to ban members that disagree with me.

If that is the case, and the moderators have the authority to ban anyone that they disagree with, then I request that you give me a lifetime ban PRONTO!

As HTG said, we don't really owe you an explanation, but she gave you one anyway. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the board owner.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 05:27 AM
That is pretty much their routine Steel Pit, one antagonizes the poster and trades jabs while the other swoops in and bans.

Thanks NCSteeler, I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who's witnessing this.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 05:29 AM
As HTG said, we don't really owe you an explanation, but she gave you one anyway. If you have a problem with it, take it up with the board owner.

I didn't ask you or anyone else for an explanation. I simply provided interested parties with my explanation. Move along now.

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Love the way folks around here who "think" they know what's going on in the forefront and the background jump to conclusions and call others out over them.

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:31 AM
Move along now.

You're the one belaboring the issue.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 05:31 AM
And your routine is to jump to conclusions and stick your big nose in where it doesn't belong. It's a tired one.

Looks like flaming to me.

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:32 AM
Looks like flaming to me.

Calling 'em like I see 'em.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 05:41 AM
Calling 'em like I see 'em.

We could all do that, but then again, we all don't have the big "forum police badge" to hide behind.

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:43 AM
We could all do that, but then again, we all don't have the big "forum police badge" to hide behind.

Why don't you take your own advice already?

Move along now.

Steel Pit
09-23-2008, 05:45 AM

And that my friend is the final word!

fansince'76
09-23-2008, 05:48 AM

Hammer67
09-23-2008, 08:19 AM
I have to say that this board is very nicely modded. Being a mod on another unrelated board, I know how hard it can be. Especially when a bunch of noobs jump in to stir the pot then whine.

This isn't a democracy, people. Play by the rules or don't play at all.

I am suprised some of you have the leway you currently have....

Texasteel
09-23-2008, 08:37 AM
It sounds like the arm chair QBs have got all our problems figured out, so I'll throw in my solution.
Dear O-line, step in frount of the guy your trying to block.
As far as the Mods. are conserned here, I have seen nothing that would back your claims. In my oppinion we have two of the fines people I know looking after this board. They work long and hard walking the line between member and moderator, and I for one appreciate what they do. They take a lot of crap from most of us and dish back far less than they should. To be honest will you if I was one of the moderators some of you probably would not see Thanksgiving here.
Just my oppinion.
By the way don't bother writing back, calling me a homer. Everyone here already knows that.

X-Terminator
09-23-2008, 08:42 AM

If you've been a fan of this team for as long as I have, then you know that I am NOT exaggerating. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, and I don't care if you disagree - Steelers fans do NOT have one iota of patience, and would rather be like other teams (ie, the 49ers) and have a revolving door of coaches and systems just so they can be satisfied. You want to tell me what's wrong with having a little stability?

And for those of you who are bashing the mods, give it up. None of you have any idea what it takes to do this job, how much bullshit they have to put up with, nor what goes on behind the scenes. You may think you do, but you don't. Take it from someone who has been a mod on this board AND has been an admin on another related board. I personally think many of you get too much rope from the mods here.

Hammer67
09-23-2008, 08:44 AM
If you've been a fan of this team for as long as I have, then you know that I am NOT exaggerating. I've said it once, and I'll say it again, and I don't care if you disagree - Steelers fans do NOT have one iota of patience, and would rather be like other teams (ie, the 49ers) and have a revolving door of coaches and systems just so they can be satisfied. You want to tell me what's wrong with having a little stability?

I know...it's crazy! People are whacky. I tell you guys what, my buddies, who are Lion's fans will trade you positions in a heartbeat!!!!

Keep in mind we are talking about the Offensive coordinator who oversaw one of the most efficient passing games last year, as well as the leading NFL rusher until week 15 when he got hurt.

WTF?

:eyecrazy:

MasterOfPuppets
09-23-2008, 08:48 AM
this behavior is hardly limited to steeler fans. if you don't believe me, visit the board of ANY team thats lost or loosing ,and you'll find the same thing.

memphissteelergirl
09-23-2008, 08:49 AM
Arians could have called better plays, but ultimately IT'S THE PLAYERS EXECUTION OF THE PLAYS THAT WILL ULTIMATELY DECIDE THE PACE OF THE GAME!

Of course that's very true, but it seems to me Arians, Coach Z and the rest of the offensive coordinators failed to make any adjustments, unlike their defensive counterparts. They got straight-up outcoached...plain and simple.

X-Terminator
09-23-2008, 08:59 AM
I know...it's crazy! People are whacky. I tell you guys what, my buddies, who are Lion's fans will trade you positions in a heartbeat!!!!

Keep in mind we are talking about the Offensive coordinator who oversaw one of the most efficient passing games last year, as well as the leading NFL rusher until week 15 when he got hurt.

WTF?

:eyecrazy:

That's not enough for a lot of our fans, unfortunately. They have to be perfect, call the perfect play every time, or they suck and should be fired. Arians has been taking heat from the day he was hired, both on this board and in R/L. Some of them didn't even give him a chance to call one play last season before wanting someone else for the job. It's simply amazing to me.

Of course that's very true, but it seems to me Arians, Coach Z and the rest of the offensive coordinators failed to make any adjustments, unlike their defensive counterparts. They got straight-up outcoached...plain and simple.

I don't think you'll find too many people who will disagree with you on that. I don't think they had the correct game plan going in, to be honest. But that is NOT reason for people to call for their heads after one admittedly bad loss.

Texasteel
09-23-2008, 09:47 AM
That's not enough for a lot of our fans, unfortunately. They have to be perfect, call the perfect play every time, or they suck and should be fired. Arians has been taking heat from the day he was hired, both on this board and in R/L. Some of them didn't even give him a chance to call one play last season before wanting someone else for the job. It's simply amazing to me.

I don't think you'll find too many people who will disagree with you on that. I don't think they had the correct game plan going in, to be honest. But that is NOT reason for people to call for their heads after one admittedly bad loss.

I can't argue about the game plan, thats for sure, but when I see 2 and 3 defenders get to the Ben at the same time I think it gos way past the game plan. The offensive line just was not blocking at all. Sometimes they weren't even getting in the way of the pass rush.
It looked like the o-line just got confused and it went down hill from there.

X-Terminator
09-23-2008, 09:55 AM
I can't argue about the game plan, thats for sure, but when I see 2 and 3 defenders get to the Ben at the same time I think it gos way past the game plan. The offensive line just was not blocking at all. Sometimes they weren't even getting in the way of the pass rush.
It looked like the o-line just got confused and it went down hill from there.

Now admittedly I did not watch the game because I was out of town, only highlights, and from what I saw, Ben rarely had time to step back before he had guys all over him. So the way you counter that would be 3 step drops and quick passes/screens while mixing in the run. I thought that would be the game plan going in, but apparently it wasn't. When a team is blitzing that much, you cannot call plays that require time to set up, and from some of the responses I've read, that was what happened. I do think Arians does deserve some blame for that. But again, that does NOT mean he should be fired like some of the armchair OCs here are calling for. The guy led one of the most productive offenses in Steelers history last season. I think he has earned enough leeway to make a mistake every now and then.

revefsreleets
09-23-2008, 10:20 AM
I think we should definitely fire Arians right now. Why? Because firing the OC and trying to change systems in the middle of the season ALWAYS works out well.

Retarded.

It was one game. Talk to me if we go on a 3 game skid and the offensive gameplan doesn't change.

Glace
09-23-2008, 10:40 AM
When Ben has time to throw and our offense is clicking, I LOVE Arians' playcalling.

But Ben had no time to do ANYTHING during the eagles game. I have NEVER in my life seen the kind of pressure the eagles put on him sunday. NEVER.

I'm just going to say it...if the eagles defense played like that every week, they would go straight to the superbowl. Even sending all those guys after Ben, the coverage was INSANE! There was nobody that was able to create any separation and get open. (That may be a side effect of Ben having no time....by the time the receivers finished their routes and were looking for the ball, ben was on the ground)

If you like defensive games, that was a friggin masterpiece on Sunday...even though we lost. Our defense played great...troy played like a man posessed.

Glace
09-23-2008, 10:43 AM
I also heard on the radio...the guy reporting from the field said the offensive line was pointing all over the place and weren't communicating effectively. The O line had absolutely no idea what to do in that situation.

If you want to talk about firing coaches, it's time to look at the o-line coach....because I honestly feel we have the talent to be one of the more dominating lines in the league. I just don't know how I feel about the whole zone blocking scheme yet.

SCSTILLER
09-23-2008, 11:08 AM
I also heard on the radio...the guy reporting from the field said the offensive line was pointing all over the place and weren't communicating effectively. The O line had absolutely no idea what to do in that situation.

If you want to talk about firing coaches, it's time to look at the o-line coach....because I honestly feel we have the talent to be one of the more dominating lines in the league. I just don't know how I feel about the whole zone blocking scheme yet.

I have to agree with you on this one Glace. The zone blocking was horrible, we had o-linemen standing with nobody in front of them and two Eagles blowing by them. They seemed completely lost out there, and also out coached.

I still think that Starks is a better tackle than Colon. Seems like I always see Colon "diving" at the pass rusher. Granted I was not there for training camp to see the battle take place, but Starks just seemed to be a better fit in the O-line than Colon. :blah:

#1LambertFan
09-23-2008, 11:51 AM
I think Larry Zierlein ( the o-line coach for those of you that don't know) should be fired. Stressing footwork and finesse in an offensive line that were drafted for their size and physicality never works and whomever thinks it would ever work needs to be pushed into the Hudson. Russ Grimm was a great fit because he took in mind the style of this line. what were we averaging in rushing that year? Over 140 yards a game.Now thats a line! Bring back Grimm no matter what the cost!

HometownGal
09-23-2008, 11:53 AM
this behavior is hardly limited to steeler fans. if you don't believe me, visit the board of ANY team thats lost or loosing ,and you'll find the same thing.

I have always believed Steelers fans, though somewhat fairweathered from time to time, are without a doubt the classiest and most loyal fans in the NFL. Bashing your team and the coaches after 1 loss in a season that is a whopping 3 games old is about as classy as a brussel sprout and as loyal as a rabid coon.

C'mon people - so we lost our first game this season. It's over, done, fini and no amount of whining or B & Ming is going to change the outcome. We have 13 more games to play and one helluva tough road ahead of us especially after the bye. Instead of hammering the players and coaches into the ground with your itty bitty cyber hammers, how 'bout getting behind them for the tough game we have coming up next Monday night against a DIVISIONAL rival - a must win matchup? :tt02::applaudit::tt02:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 01:02 PM
. I just don't know how I feel about the whole zone blocking scheme yet.

I'm sorry to correct, but "zone blocking" refers to a run blocking scheme. The Broncos and Redskins do it very well. It involves the O linemen taking a lateral step and blocking the man in the zone in front of them.....kind of a moving wall.

I dont know how many people have read that article by Bob Davie where he refers to zone blocking in pass blocking, but its absolutely misinformation.

If the alternative is Man to Man pass blocking, then why dont I see more O linemen chasing defensive tackles around on loops and twists??. If the majority of pass blocking schemes were man to man, then the simplest blitz in the world will be to send your DT on a stunt and when the OG "follows his man"......send a LB up the gap he just created.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 01:10 PM
I think Larry Zierlein ( the o-line coach for those of you that don't know) should be fired. Stressing footwork and finesse in an offensive line that were drafted for their size and physicality never works and whomever thinks it would ever work needs to be pushed into the Hudson.

How do you know that Zierline stresses "finesse"??? How do you know that Grimm never stressed "footwork"???

The average fan that has never played offensive line thinks that you just cross your arms and smash into the defender and that is "physical blocking". Its a popular misconception.

All good O line play involves correct footwork, balance, hand placement, helmet placement, hip roll and leg drive. Russ Grimm is a good O line coach and I can guarantee he focuses on all of those points, as does Coach Z. Being physical is putting all those together and arriving with some aggression.

I just question his blitz pickup strategies, line splits and other protection based coaching of Z.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 01:41 PM
I have to agree with you on this one Glace. The zone blocking was horrible, we had o-linemen standing with nobody in front of them and two Eagles blowing by them. They seemed completely lost out there, and also out coached.

:

I watched the play you describe here. Basically Hartwig and Simmons had defenders in each gap beside them. That is 3 defenders and 2 blockers. Then at the snap, 2 of the defenders backed out and both Hartwig and Simmons had committed to block them, which left Gaither free to run between them while they stood and blocked nothing.

I have never coached at a pro level, but the teams I have coached and played with used a simple rule that you take the man ON(lined up on you), DOWN (down to the inside of you) or OVER (over you but not on the line , like a LB).

If the Steelers employed that simple rule, Hartwig would have had the DT that backed out, Simmons would have blocked Gaither and Colon would have had the other LB that backed out, leaving Miller on the DE and any pressure to come from the wide side, not the middle.

This is why I question Zeriline's protections. It doesnt have to be rocket science. You accept the fact that 6 guys cant block 8, but you make them run the longest distance to your QB, not a free shot up the middle.

SCSTILLER
09-23-2008, 01:51 PM
How do you know that Zierline stresses "finesse"??? How do you know that Grimm never stressed "footwork"???

The average fan that has never played offensive line thinks that you just cross your arms and smash into the defender and that is "physical blocking". Its a popular misconception.

All good O line play involves correct footwork, balance, hand placement, helmet placement, hip roll and leg drive. Russ Grimm is a good O line coach and I can guarantee he focuses on all of those points, as does Coach Z. Being physical is putting all those together and arriving with some aggression.

I just question his blitz pickup strategies, line splits and other protection based coaching of Z.

I am not 100 % sure of this, but I do beleive that I read an article/watched a press conference with Coach Z last year and he was emphasizing finesse and foot work. I could be wrong, but for some reason I do remember that from somewhere.

SCSTILLER
09-23-2008, 01:54 PM
El Gonzo, I am no O-line coach by any means, but the blocking you are descirbing (OVER< ON<DOWN) seems to make sense to me. Protect the middle of the line and let the rush come from the outside. That way the QB can maybe step up a little and get rid of the ball.

Beauchamp
09-23-2008, 02:07 PM
Bruce Arian's got fired from the Browns.

/Thread.

HometownGal
09-23-2008, 02:35 PM
Bruce Arian's got fired from the Browns.

/Thread.

Ask Hines Ward if he thinks Arians is the anti-Christ some of you are making him out to be in this thread.

He was also Peyton's Manning's first QB coach and is said to have contributed greatly to Peyton's success as an elite NFL QB and a future HOF'er.

Next. :coffee:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 02:37 PM
El Gonzo, I am no O-line coach by any means, but the blocking you are descirbing (OVER< ON<DOWN) seems to make sense to me. Protect the middle of the line and let the rush come from the outside. That way the QB can maybe step up a little and get rid of the ball.

At the absolute worst, you do that and tell the O line to line up 1-2 feet away from each other and that lets Ben know the rush is coming.....but its coming from the outside and he has to get rid of the ball.

As for Zeirline vs. Grimm. The article basically said that Z was getting back to basics of technique and is more of a teacher, where Grimm was not as much a technician, but rather an old hog that just said "get er done". Nothing about finesse, but refining technique instead of being sloppy because your last coach accepted it.

As for Arians.......gimme a few freakin rollout passes and move the pocket away from the blitz instead of trying to 5 and 7 step drop the $100 million man.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 02:39 PM
He was also Peyton's Manning's first QB coach and is said to have contributed greatly to Peyton's success as an elite NFL QB and a future HOF'er.

Next. :coffee: Exactly!!!

But where did those Colt teams go in the playoffs?? I believe that Arians will do what he did in Indy and Cleveland, throw up a lot of points on the board, make the postseason, but lose in the playoffs because that is how his offense is built.

lilyoder6
09-23-2008, 03:22 PM
wow... the off players still have to run the plays... half the blame should go to arians for not calling plays to get the blitz off our backs.. but also the off for not running the plays they should.. even when they had full protection ppl still got thru

OneForTheToe
09-23-2008, 05:35 PM
Exactly!!!

But where did those Colt teams go in the playoffs?? I believe that Arians will do what he did in Indy and Cleveland, throw up a lot of points on the board, make the postseason, but lose in the playoffs because that is how his offense is built.

But the Colts didn't fail in the playoffs because they threw too much, IMO. Edgerrin James was a beast in that offense. It was their poor D all those years that held them back. Besides as to the play calling in Indy, you can hardly even give the O'corridinator (Moore) credit/blame for the offenses success or failure let alone the QB coach. When is the last time Manning ran the play that was called?:chuckle:

HometownGal
09-23-2008, 05:50 PM
But the Colts didn't fail in the playoffs because they threw too much, IMO. Edgerrin James was a beast in that offense. It was their poor D all those years that held them back. Besides as to the play calling in Indy, you can hardly even give the O'corridinator (Moore) credit/blame for the offenses success or failure let alone the QB coach. When is the last time Manning ran the play that was called?:chuckle:

Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner! :thumbsup: The Colts also had a half decent OL who opened up nice holes for Edge, unlike what we currently have here in the Burgh.

I'm sorry but I put the majority of the blame for Sunday''s offensive debacle squarely on the shoulders of our OL. Worst Steelers OL I've seen in many a season.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 06:17 PM
Ding, ding, ding!!! We have a winner! :thumbsup: The Colts also had a half decent OL who opened up nice holes for Edge, unlike what we currently have here in the Burgh.

I'm sorry but I put the majority of the blame for Sunday''s offensive debacle squarely on the shoulders of our OL. Worst Steelers OL I've seen in many a season.

I really dont understand how you can get up on a soapbox all preseason and say that Mahan was the "scapegoat" for the O line issues last year, then now make the O-line the "scapegoat" for a bad offensive performance :noidea:

True the Colts defense wasnt the greatest some 6-7 years ago, but the absence of a solid running attack to put away games in the playoffs was their downfall. You get Peyton and his happy feet on the run and the Colts were useless. Just as Ben and his happy feet were doing on Sunday.
Ding!!, Ding!!! Ding!!! looks like we have a match!! :thumbsup:

MasterOfPuppets
09-23-2008, 06:26 PM
I have always believed Steelers fans, though somewhat fairweathered from time to time, are without a doubt the classiest and most loyal fans in the NFL. Bashing your team and the coaches after 1 loss in a season that is a whopping 3 games old is about as classy as a brussel sprout and as loyal as a rabid coon.

C'mon people - so we lost our first game this season. It's over, done, fini and no amount of whining or B & Ming is going to change the outcome. We have 13 more games to play and one helluva tough road ahead of us especially after the bye. Instead of hammering the players and coaches into the ground with your itty bitty cyber hammers, how 'bout getting behind them for the tough game we have coming up next Monday night against a DIVISIONAL rival - a must win matchup? :tt02::applaudit::tt02:i don't believe the frustration is about "one loss"......this loss was just a huge reminder, of the lack of trying to seriously fix the oline woes, that is now rearing its ugly head for the 3RD consecutive season.

steel striker
09-23-2008, 06:42 PM
Well clearly we were not ready for this eagle blitz scheme/package. The best qb of al time name anyone you want would not had a chance. It is one game so, we will see what happens Monday night vs the ratbirds and, you know they will bring the heat. Our oline better be ready to take their heads off! Or Ben will get killed back there.

Man that game was hard to watch and, yes our defense played pretty well kept us in the game and, gave us a chance that is all you can ask from a defense.

Shoes
09-23-2008, 06:46 PM
i don't believe the frustration is about "one loss"......this loss was just a huge reminder, of the lack of trying to seriously fix the oline woes, that is now rearing its ugly head for the 3RD consecutive season.

That is surely how I see it also!

HometownGal
09-23-2008, 06:50 PM
I really dont understand how you can get up on a soapbox all preseason and say that Mahan was the "scapegoat" for the O line issues last year, then now make the O-line the "scapegoat" for a bad offensive performance :noidea:

True the Colts defense wasnt the greatest some 6-7 years ago, but the absence of a solid running attack to put away games in the playoffs was their downfall. You get Peyton and his happy feet on the run and the Colts were useless. Just as Ben and his happy feet were doing on Sunday.
Ding!!, Ding!!! Ding!!! looks like we have a match!! :thumbsup:

And I don't know how you could crawl up on your soapbox all preseason and salivate over Justin Hartwig as the second coming of Iron Mike (exag. a tad, of course). He's just as inefficient, if not worse, than the scapegoat Mahan. He looks totally clueless out there imho. I certainly wasn't the only member here who felt that Mahan was unfairly blamed for all of the OL's woes last season. Am I pointing my finger at Hartwig alone? NO. So much for your apples and oranges comparison.

Damned straight the OL was mostly to blame for Sunday's offensive meltdown. Maybe not all of the 9 sacks were directly attributable to them (though I'd say 7 out of the 9 were), but take a gander at Parker's rushing performance in that game, go back and look at what he did against the Texans and Browns, add 1+1 and you should come up with 2.

We'll have to agree to disagree on the Colts and Manning's "issues". I agree with OFTT wholeheartedly that their D collectively back then was their achilles heel.

stillers4me
09-23-2008, 06:51 PM
i don't believe the frustration is about "one loss"......this loss was just a huge reminder, of the lack of trying to seriously fix the oline woes, that is now rearing its ugly head for the 3RD consecutive season.

I can not say it better than that.

thebus36idf
09-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I don't about the f word yet, but surely the obvious passing plays were mind boggling, no element of surprise, and no adjusments ie screens, quick slants, something other than linning up to get killed over, and over.:banging::banging:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-23-2008, 09:38 PM
And I don't know how you could crawl up on your soapbox all preseason and salivate over Justin Hartwig as the second coming of Iron Mike (exag. a tad, of course). He's just as inefficient, if not worse, than the scapegoat Mahan. He looks totally clueless out there imho. I certainly wasn't the only member here who felt that Mahan was unfairly blamed for all of the OL's woes last season. Am I pointing my finger at Hartwig alone? NO. So much for your apples and oranges comparison.

Damned straight the OL was mostly to blame for Sunday's offensive meltdown. Maybe not all of the 9 sacks were directly attributable to them (though I'd say 7 out of the 9 were), but take a gander at Parker's rushing performance in that game, go back and look at what he did against the Texans and Browns, add 1+1 and you should come up with 2.

I know you have me confused. I never salivated over a former 7th round pick in Hartwig as playing center. I also never blamed Mahan for the O line troubles last season. In fact, I gave an objective review of each preseason game(Game 1 was even, games 2 and 3 Hartwig performed better and game 4 the decision was already made)

Your opinion that Hartwig looks clueless, you are entitled to and would be incorrect. You are basing your opinion on a few plays and overreacting like the many you sarcastically poke fun at. You have to look at each play, not just a couple you remember. That is the apples to oranges to which you refer. Others blamed Mahan based on a few plays, you blame the entire O line based on few plays.

As for the 9 sacks, the O line was responsible for 4, (Cole facemasked Ben to the ground, so one of those shouldnt count), there were 2 plays where it looked like the WR's never ran hot routes in the face of the blitz and 3 where Ben got happy feet and stepped up into the rush or held onto it too long. I blame the O-line for the silly procedure calls and 3 really bad blitz pickups.

As for the running yards of Parker, please rewatch the first quarter and see the start of a good running game, then watch the OC totally abandon it to have his struggling QB face more blitzes. The game was tight still and not one screen pass or "I" formation run to try and pound the rock. The Eagles Trent Cole was quoted after the game saying "I was surprised they didnt run the ball more".

I believe that the entire Offense has to share in the blame as coach T says, but its easy for the average fan to "scapegoat" the O line incorrectly. The average fan has never stood between a 6 or 7 man blitz and their QB, while a long pass play was called.

OK, there is my reply.......please feel free to go back to the collective state of panic that is gripping Steeler fans.

Steel Pit
09-24-2008, 12:24 AM
http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/

The Sky Is Not Falling In Pittsburgh, But For A Day, The Steelers Offense Was As Bad As It Gets
by Blitzburgh on Sep 22, 2008 8:39 AM EDT

When was the last time you were embarassed as a Steelers fan? Seriously, try to remember. The Steelers-Raiders game in '06 was pretty awful, as was the second Ravens game in Week 16 of that year, in a game actually that would have put us in the playoffs (assuming we still would have beaten Cincy in Week 17). There's others, obviously, both in recent memory, intermittently in the Cowher years when our offense was painfully one-dimensional and ineffective, and of course during various times in the 1980s, during the final years of the previously pristine and glorious Chuck Noll era.

But what we saw today from our offense was shocking. I believe one of you guys or gals said today that it was like the Eagles had found some secret button on a video game that was unstoppable. So true. Another commentor, Steeler Ric, said:

Yeah our Oline is average at best, and definitely stunk it up today, but they are professionals. The Eagles made us look like a poor college team. I dont recall too many NFL Offenses ever getting dominated like we did today. Iím embarassed.

It got so bad that fellow Steelers fans and I at the neighborhood bar were laughing, almost uncontrollably even, knowing that the next wave of pressure was just a few seconds away from the Eagles defenders. I even remember saying late in the game, when we got the ball back inside the ten yard line again (after the first safety and the score just 12-6), that 'well, another safety would still make it just a one score game.'

For those of you who have read for years, you know that I'm very optimistic, perhaps too much at times, while of course still trying to be analytical and reasonable about what my eyes are seeing. Hell, re-read the comments in the open-thread and you'll notice that I thought we might still have a chance at half time. But by day's end, I was calling for the worst, before it happened, knowing that nothing was changing on this day for the Steelers.

Anyway, enough about that and on to why today was one of the darkest days in Steelers history, as far as I'm concerned. Coaching. First, before I sully your name Mr. Dick LeBeau, you're excused sir from the room. You were amazing, again, today, inspiring your players and finding new and clever ways to confuse McNabb and Andy Reid in the second half, after the Eagles had done what'er they pleased in the air in the first half, even if the scoreboard didn't prove it.

Now, on to the culprits.

I have no idea exactly how offensive line coaches teach their craft, but at this point, I think it's clear that Larry Zeirlein has to go. We may not have the biggest and best horses in the stables, but the sack numbers are out of hand. Sorry. No time at the moment to check the historical presedence of whether OLine coaches have been fired mid-season in the past before, but if so, and if we can get someone in immediately without totally disrupting the flow of the season, then by all means, let's pull the trigger. Enough is enough in his case.

Bruce Arians. I'm actually going to hold off and have a post later today or tomorrow about some thoughts on what might have worked better. For now though, I think it's safe to say that Arians just got embarassed by Jim Johnson today. I will go into this more later, but the put Heath Miller back there to block with a RB thing was a joke. That shit didn't work one lick. Instead, what we needed to do was simply flare a RB into the flat, let Ben dump it over the outside blitzer's head, then let FWP hopefully make a guy miss. Ever seen New Orleans play? Ever seen that Drew Brees doesn't get sacked? Believe me, their O Line isn't THAT much better than ours, yet each week, Brees puts up huge numbers without taking many hits. Why? Because he just dumps it off to Bush when the blitz is on. And because they do that so much, teams can't blitz quite the same! Novel! I know.

For all of you who have been clamoring that we didn't try any screens. WE DID try many screens. Problem is, the screens we run are these chicken shit slow developing WR screens, not simple, easily executable screens to our RBs. Those WR screens towards the middle of the field rarely work. Maybe in a Toledo vs. Fresno State game. But not in the National Football League where defensive lineman can detonate a pocket in 3 seconds or fewer. Just terrible stuff from Bruce today. The worst offensive performance I've maybe ever seen as an NFL fan. Perhaps only a mid 90s Bengals team or a Stoney Case led Ravens team back in 1999. That bad.

That said, it's on Mike Tomlin to make Bruce figure it the f*&k out. Sure, Tomlin's pedigree may be as a defensive guy, but that matters not. Some things are visible to even us, just fans. Surely, as a head coach in the NFL, he can pick up on some things to suggest to his struggling OC. Maybe not in game, but there needs to be some serious time spent this week (a long week, mind you, since we play on MNF next week) between Tomlin and Arians.

We'll get into that subject more, but what about the decision to go for it on 4th and long late in the game, when we needed two scores to win? Not that it mattered, since clearly we weren't going to win this game. But that doesn't absolve a coach from making the practical decision there. You kick the FG, extend, the game, hope the opponent tightens up a bit, then see what transpires. Going for it on 4th and 10 just doesnt; make much sense.

One final thought before sigining off. This too will be a subject for discussion throughout the week (and year, most likely). What I hope we see is simply some changes along the line. Max Starks, grab your helmet. Darnell Stapleton, you ready? Let me be real clear about one thing. If we're willing to burn $7 mil watching Starks ride the pine, why aren't we willing to burn big bucks benching other more highly paid players in favor of younger (potentially more motivated and better) guys. Like, for example, what if we had Starks at T, Essex at T, Stapleton at G, Chris K at G, and Hartwig at C. Or something similar (perhaps Colon at G, Stapleton at C). Point is, we're burning money as is. Why not burn money while trying other combinations? Above all else, I was sick of sticking with what was not working last year for continuity's sake. That's the definiton of insanity, no? Repeating over and over what's not working?

The sky ain't falling. No team looks great each week in this league. The internals looked good through two weeks, so we're not quite in a fixed pattern yet. That's the good news. The bad news is we just got enough evidence to last a lifetime that this team has serious, serious flaws on offense in two very critical areas: the line and the coaching department.

Steel Pit
09-24-2008, 12:36 AM
I know you have me confused. I never salivated over a former 7th round pick in Hartwig as playing center. I also never blamed Mahan for the O line troubles last season. In fact, I gave an objective review of each preseason game(Game 1 was even, games 2 and 3 Hartwig performed better and game 4 the decision was already made)

Your opinion that Hartwig looks clueless, you are entitled to and would be incorrect. You are basing your opinion on a few plays and overreacting like the many you sarcastically poke fun at. You have to look at each play, not just a couple you remember. That is the apples to oranges to which you refer. Others blamed Mahan based on a few plays, you blame the entire O line based on few plays.

As for the 9 sacks, the O line was responsible for 4, (Cole facemasked Ben to the ground, so one of those shouldnt count), there were 2 plays where it looked like the WR's never ran hot routes in the face of the blitz and 3 where Ben got happy feet and stepped up into the rush or held onto it too long. I blame the O-line for the silly procedure calls and 3 really bad blitz pickups.

As for the running yards of Parker, please rewatch the first quarter and see the start of a good running game, then watch the OC totally abandon it to have his struggling QB face more blitzes. The game was tight still and not one screen pass or "I" formation run to try and pound the rock. The Eagles Trent Cole was quoted after the game saying "I was surprised they didnt run the ball more".

I believe that the entire Offense has to share in the blame as coach T says, but its easy for the average fan to "scapegoat" the O line incorrectly. The average fan has never stood between a 6 or 7 man blitz and their QB, while a long pass play was called.

OK, there is my reply.......please feel free to go back to the collective state of panic that is gripping Steeler fans.

Nice post jackson, I agree man.

You know what? The best part about this Arians argument is that one side will be proven right at seasons end. If Arians is fired, as I believe he will be, then I'll be the first member here to dig up this thread just to say that "I told you so". If I'm wrong then I'll put on a bib and scarf on some crow.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2008, 08:59 AM
I dont think Arians will be fired at the end of the season.

I think he has a few more years here.

HometownGal
09-24-2008, 09:09 AM

Look, El-Gonzo - I don't want to get into a pissing match with you over who is "correct" or "incorrect" here. I also don't appreciate the references to those you believe aren't at your "level of expertise" as "average fans". It is, quite honestly, extremely condescending and insulting. I have noticed that no matter who posts before me in any given thread who happens to share the same opinions/thoughts that I do isn't taken to task and it is MY posts that you always attempt to pick apart. :scratchchin: You and I rarely ever agree on anything but it doesn't mean your opinion is right and mine is wrong and vice versa. We obviously don't see the same things overall and I'm fine with that - if we all agreed with everyone else's opinions, this would be a pretty dull place to share thoughts and theories. I don't care if you agree with my opinions or not. All I ever ask of anyone is that they respect them as I do theirs.

You feel the OL isn't to blame for Sunday's debacle and I disagree. Fine.

You feel the OL was only responsible for 4 of the 9 sacks and I vehemently disagree. Fine.

You feel (felt) that Mahan was a total bust at center and was responsible for a great deal of the OL's problems last season and feel Hartwig is better at that position. Again, I vehemently disagree. Fine.

For the record, I don't have you "confused". There are plenty of posts to back up my statements, but I'm not going to go the route of posting them, as my purpose isn't to call you out and show you up. As for your condescending comment:

please feel free to go back to the collective state of panic that is gripping Steeler fans

I think my posts since Sunday's loss more than substantiate that I am not in a state of panic at all over the Steelers' first loss this season. Quite the contrary, my dear El-Gonzo. I base my opinions on what I see on the field on game day and in watching the recorded version of the game again the following day, or in this case, yesterday.

None of us here is an expert, not even you. If we were of the "expert caliber", we would be standing on an NFLsideline somewhere on game day being paid big bucks for our expertise, not here rendering our opinions on a sports BB.

DACEB
09-24-2008, 09:25 AM
The sky ain't falling. No team looks great each week in this league. The internals looked good through two weeks, so we're not quite in a fixed pattern yet. That's the good news. The bad news is we just got enough evidence to last a lifetime that this team has serious, serious flaws on offense in two very critical areas: the line and the coaching department.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

There needs to be some serious time spent this week between Tomlin and Arians.

I would add Zierlein to that list as well. Tomlin really needs to take these guys to task. Fichtner (WR coach) and Anderson (QB coach) need to get in on the act as well. This was absolutely a complete and collective offensive breakdown.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2008, 10:12 AM
You and I rarely ever agree on anything but it doesn't mean your opinion is right and mine is wrong and vice versa.

You feel the OL isn't to blame for Sunday's debacle and I disagree. Fine.

You feel (felt) that Mahan was a total bust at center and was responsible for a great deal of the OL's problems last season and feel Hartwig is better at that position. Again, I vehemently disagree. Fine.

For the record, I don't have you "confused". There are plenty of posts to back up my statements, but I'm not going to go the route of posting them, as my purpose isn't to call you out and show you up. As for your condescending comment:

None of us here is an expert, not even you. If we were of the "expert caliber", we would be standing on an NFLsideline somewhere on game day being paid big bucks for our expertise, not here rendering our opinions on a sports BB.

HTG, I actually agree with a lot of what you say, with the exception that Marvel Smith only had 1 good season and this is entirely the OL fault.

I believe the O line is to blame,but not to the level that you and most other posters believe

I also dont believe that Mahan was a total bust and that he was the problem last year. I have repeatedly said..."Smith's injury, Faneca's contract, Colon's inexperience and Mahan's inability to handle the NT's" all contributed to the line woes of last season. Mahan is a good utility guy....kind of like Chukky Okobi was.

I also repeatedly post that I have never coached at this level and dont try to be an expert, but I probably overreact when defending players because of what I know.

When fans gripe "Mendenhall is a fumbler" "Ike needs to learn to catch" "Kemo is too slow to pull" "Mahan cant block" "Willie cant be a goaline back", etc. they dont know that you dont improve Ike's hands or Mendy's ball carrying skills overnight. They dont know the skills needed to be a pulling guard or that Mahan is a technically sound blocker not blessed with great natural strength.

I dont goto other parts of this great forum and start blindly critizizing McCain, Palin, Obama, because I am not aware of the policies. If I did, I would expect somebody more politically aware like cubanstogie or refevets to post the correct facts and debate what I said. I feel that I do the same when somebody says......Fire Arians or Marvel Smith is a natural RT.

BTW, when I post that Arians started the hurricanes or we need another Mahan sucks thread.......its all sarcasm. (man we need a sarcasm smiley) I actually think those guys wrongly get a bad rap on this forum.

lilyoder6
09-24-2008, 11:23 AM
evryone gets a bad rap when we lose it seems like.. it can never be the fact that the other team is good enough to stop us and win a close fought game

HometownGal
09-24-2008, 03:30 PM
HTG, I actually agree with a lot of what you say, with the exception that Marvel Smith only had 1 good season and this is entirely the OL fault.

I believe the O line is to blame,but not to the level that you and most other posters believe

I also dont believe that Mahan was a total bust and that he was the problem last year. I have repeatedly said..."Smith's injury, Faneca's contract, Colon's inexperience and Mahan's inability to handle the NT's" all contributed to the line woes of last season. Mahan is a good utility guy....kind of like Chukky Okobi was.

I also repeatedly post that I have never coached at this level and dont try to be an expert, but I probably overreact when defending players because of what I know.

When fans gripe "Mendenhall is a fumbler" "Ike needs to learn to catch" "Kemo is too slow to pull" "Mahan cant block" "Willie cant be a goaline back", etc. they dont know that you dont improve Ike's hands or Mendy's ball carrying skills overnight. They dont know the skills needed to be a pulling guard or that Mahan is a technically sound blocker not blessed with great natural strength.

I dont goto other parts of this great forum and start blindly critizizing McCain, Palin, Obama, because I am not aware of the policies. If I did, I would expect somebody more politically aware like cubanstogie or refevets to post the correct facts and debate what I said. I feel that I do the same when somebody says......Fire Arians or Marvel Smith is a natural RT.

BTW, when I post that Arians started the hurricanes or we need another Mahan sucks thread.......its all sarcasm. (man we need a sarcasm smiley) I actually think those guys wrongly get a bad rap on this forum.

Thanks for the clarification, El-Gonzo. I was starting to think there for a minute that you were among the "women should do nothing but serve me beer and brats and be seen and not heard on game day" Boyz Club that is a part of all sports BBs. :wink02::chuckle:

I've been following football at all levels since I was an ankle biter. I have always loved the mechanics and strategies behind the scenes that play out on game days and I doubly love my Steelers, win or lose. Obviously, I've never coached football at any level, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express a few times, most recently in Dover this past weekend! :chuckle: That being said, however, I believe I still have a pretty broad understanding and knowledge of the game and its history, believe it or not. I feel comfortable enough with that understanding and knowledge to render (most times) opinions based on facts as they present themselves to ME, not on gut reaction or particular dislike for a certain player or unit.

I was the starting 2nd baseman on the PSU womens softball team for 4 years and coached many a youth team to championships, but I still never considered myself an "expert" by any stretch of the imagination. Athletically gifted and fairly knowledgeable, yes, but most definitely not in the expert or pro category. If I felt differently, I sure as hell wouldn't have spent most of my adult life working with lawyers! :horror:

As I said above, all I ask is that my opinions be respected whether you agree or disagree. Don't think that's too much to ask. :drink:

Preacher
09-24-2008, 04:21 PM
Right on Brother! :thumbsup:

So you agree with him that I am stepping over the line to be a homer?

Really?

Because I beleive that a problem with the O line that manifested itself under a PREVIOUS COACHING STAFF is no reason to call for the heads of the NEW COACHING STAFF?

Or is it because I believe that 2-1 against 3 teams that all were projected to be vying for the playoffs is a pretty dang good record?

Or is it because I don't demand perfection?

Homerism is when you say everything is ok. Our O line sucks.

however, tainted sample is a logical fallacy... and that is what your doing here. Projecting the WORST game of three games over a 16 game season, and ignoring other factors.

Sorry, I think this "right on brother" was a little ignorant.

Preacher
09-24-2008, 04:25 PM
Thanks for the clarification, El-Gonzo. I was starting to think there for a minute that you were among the "women should do nothing but serve me beer and brats and be seen and not heard on game day" Boyz Club that is a part of all sports BBs. :wink02::chuckle:

Hey now... I have been trying to convince my wife of that very point !!! Don't ruin it for me!

:rofl: :wink02:

43Hitman
09-24-2008, 04:27 PM
Hey now... I have been trying to convince my wife of that very point !!! Don't ruin it for me!

:rofl: :wink02:

:popcorn:

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2008, 04:39 PM
:

On the contrary. I am a man of the new millenium that actually cooks and changes diapers too. In additon to coaching and playing O-line and LB has coached women's flag football. I respect women that know football (and actually think its hot). My wife is an ex track sprinter that is a better WR than most of the Bantam age boys that I have coached.

I respect your opinions, but I guess sometimes I perceive that in your defense of players you feel have been wrongly critizized, like Mahan, Arians, Ben....that you almost advocate for them too much. I can respect that, even if I dont agree with it, because in order to get a ship that is listing to port, to move starboard......it takes one person to start rocking on that side.

cheers :drink: after all, we are all on the same side. GO STeelers!!

Steel Pit
09-24-2008, 04:47 PM
So you agree with him that I am stepping over the line to be a homer?

Really?

Because I beleive that a problem with the O line that manifested itself under a PREVIOUS COACHING STAFF is no reason to call for the heads of the NEW COACHING STAFF?

Or is it because I believe that 2-1 against 3 teams that all were projected to be vying for the playoffs is a pretty dang good record?

Or is it because I don't demand perfection?

Homerism is when you say everything is ok. Our O line sucks.

however, tainted sample is a logical fallacy... and that is what your doing here. Projecting the WORST game of three games over a 16 game season, and ignoring other factors.

Sorry, I think this "right on brother" was a little ignorant.

Uhmmmmmmm, WTF???? :noidea: My "right on brother" comment was in reference to Bestcoasts' comments that were written AFTER the initial "!" in his posting. It had nothing to do with YOU!

Besides, I don't criticize homerism, be all the fan that you can be, I have no problem with that.

I also don't ignore other factors, check some of my past threads, I've called the Steelers offensive line "average" on their best day. That's my point, others absolutely REFUSE to give Arians any of the blame. They excuse him by putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line.

Preacher
09-24-2008, 04:55 PM
Uhmmmmmmm, WTF???? :noidea: My "right on brother" comment was in reference to Bestcoasts' comments that were written AFTER the initial "!" in his posting. It had nothing to do with YOU!

Besides, I don't criticize homerism, be all the fan that you can be, I have no problem with that.

I also don't ignore other factors, check some of my past threads, I've called the Steelers offensive line "average" on their best day. That's my point, others absolutely REFUSE to give Arians any of the blame. They excuse him by putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line.

OK.. :thumbsup:

I thought you were talking about his post towards me... Thanks for the clarification.

On the other part of that. For me, I don't put blame on Arians (yet) because we are still working with the line that gave up over 40 something sacks with Cowher and comp. at the helm. So while scheming has something to do with THIS group. I cannot yet say it is the schemes THEMSELVES that are the problem, as much as I think it is the lines messing up the schemes that are the problem.

Furthermore, the pickens for new lineman have been slim at best, especially with us up against the cap, trying to sign some of our better players. I just think we are in a tight spot and really have to take a long term look... be patient for a couple of years. We ARE rebuilding. Funny thing, we are competitive while we are doing it!

I just hope that we can figure out a way to not get Ben killed while we rebuild that line. And yes, that IS Arians job... but the line has to work on it as well.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-24-2008, 05:02 PM
. That's my point, others absolutely REFUSE to give Arians any of the blame. They excuse him by putting the blame squarely on the shoulders of the offensive line.

I dont refuse to give Arians any blame, I just refuse to call for somebody's job on a 2-1 team. I agree with you that many just blame the O line when:

-Arians could have called some screens, rollouts, etc to exploit the Eagle blitz
-Zeirline could have changed some protection strategies to protect Ben
- Ward and Miller appeared to run deep routes instead of recognizing the blitz on their side

But on a few plays, Colon got outquicked, Simmons and Hartwig got confused, Kemo jumped offside and Smith got beat.

St33lersguy
09-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Peanutbrains should get fired at the end of the season. He has sucked balls durong his tenure.

Rick5895
09-29-2008, 09:19 PM
I coach highschool and allstar football as a D-Line coach, but even i know you need to adjust when your O-Line is terrible in pass pro. What happened to 3 step get the ball out .
Ben has to realize this aswell.
Bring on Dennis Dixon, at least he can run!!!!!!!!

Preacher
09-29-2008, 09:24 PM
Please.

If this is all you have, go away.

revefsreleets
09-29-2008, 09:29 PM
This is a good post for a challenged individual. You do very well and are very independent, Rick! Good for you! I'm sure the team you "coach" is very happy that they get to help out the community by sponsoring retards.

Go away dumbass...there is already enough stupid floating around this place. We don't need more.

scsteeler
09-29-2008, 09:44 PM
I have to say that a lot of the ineptitude of the offense is play calling. Why does every pass play have to be designed for 20 plus yards when the o-line can't hold for that long and you have not established the running game.

And on a play where we have 3rd and one we line up in a spread formation that says we are going to pass. If this is not fixed we will be in for a long season.

My thoughts at this moment is the offensive game planning has not changed we do the same thing each week and it is not working. With Willie P. out our offense looks horrible.

Hopefully this will improve and the defense looks bad because they are on the field to long.

:tt03:

HometownGal
09-29-2008, 09:52 PM
I have to say that a lot of the ineptitude of the offense is play calling. Why does every pass play have to be designed for 20 plus yards when the o-line can't hold for that long and you have not established the running game.

And on a play where we have 3rd and one we line up in a spread formation that says we are going to pass. If this is not fixed we will be in for a long season.

My thoughts at this moment is the offensive game planning has not changed we do the same thing each week and it is not working. With Willie P. out our offense looks horrible.

Hopefully this will improve and the defense looks bad because they are on the field to long.

:tt03:

:doh::doh::doh:

I still will not concede that Arians is to blame for last week's debacle and this week's poor play by our O tonight. You can teach and design plays until you're blue in the face but if the players don't execute, which they clearly are not doing tonight, you're screwed.

14dathum
09-29-2008, 09:54 PM
big ben ...........overrated.....like ive always said

fansince'76
09-29-2008, 09:56 PM
big ben ...........overrated.....like ive always said

Bitch, whine, complain.

chucoblack&gold
09-30-2008, 01:04 AM
Did anybody notice that the steelers just drove in with the no-huddle? Wouldn't this constitute the issue with Arians calling plays?

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 01:11 AM
Give Arians some credit for going to the no huddle. Still would have liked to see some quicker designed drops and screen passes to get the blitz off balance.

That and 3rd and 1 and he goes to spread formation???? I thought his use of McHugh in the backfield blocking was great.....hope to see a bit more of that.

steelwall
09-30-2008, 02:26 AM
My understanding was that it was Ben's call to go no huddle.

Aussie_steeler
09-30-2008, 05:49 AM
My understanding was that it was Ben's call to go no huddle.

In the post game Ben said that he asked Tomlin and Arians to let him go no-huddle.

A subtle vote of no-confidence in Arians by Big Ben or Big Ben trying to bail out his coach????

SteelMember
09-30-2008, 08:22 AM
In the post game Ben said that he asked Tomlin and Arians to let him go no-huddle.

A subtle vote of no-confidence in Arians by Big Ben or Big Ben trying to bail out his coach????

I think he was just looking for a tempo change.

The No-Huddle just speeds the process of getting plays in and simplifing the offensive formations. Another advantage is that the defence is unable to rotate players in and change coverages.

That being said, I don't think our players got set fast enough to dicount substitutions. I could see a few thimes they were still able to change. Still, Ben's call for it was needed. They weren't getting any kind of rhythm before...Hell, they weren't even getting 1st downs.

I believe that sparked the whole team. After the Holmes TD, the sideline finally looked like they had some life. The D got pumped, and went out and made a HUDGE play. Woodley's foot wedge was played perfectly!

The momentum of the game definately changed when they started the no-huddle. No doubt about it.

revefsreleets
09-30-2008, 09:09 AM
Until the OC becomes responsible for actually EXECUTING the plays, Arians is just fine in my book. Yeah, last week wasn't his finest hour, but the playcalling was much better last night. The team just needs to execute better...

HometownGal
09-30-2008, 09:13 AM
Until the OC becomes responsible for actually EXECUTING the plays, Arians is just fine in my book. Yeah, last week wasn't his finest hour, but the playcalling was much better last night. The team just needs to execute better...

Thank God - finally someone who gets it. :thumbsup:

Couldn't have said it better, revs.

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM

Last week Arians was getting thrown under the bus by a lot of people, you have to give him credit for the second half adjustments last night. Zero sacks in second half. The only play calling I was whining about was when we had first and goal at the ten, and later first and goal at 5. We kept running a smaller back up the gut without success. Granted if Moore would have got to end zone I would have been silenced. I just kept wanting play action and hit Miller or Spaeth. Ben also deserves a lot of credit. His numbers weren't great, I will blame him for one sack just because I don't want to be a homer. He never really was able to get into a rhythm, every pass attempt was scrambling, sidestepping or out of the pocket yet he still made some key plays. Its not like his interception was bad judgement or a bad throw, just unable to hold onto ball.

atlsteelers
09-30-2008, 09:52 AM
arians is a bum

cubanstogie
09-30-2008, 10:16 AM
arians is a bum

yes and you are a bum licker

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 10:29 AM
I agree with Stogie. Arians has had the past 2 games as somewhat suspect in handling the blitz, but has to get credit for making some 2nd half adjustments this game.

I too would have liked to see some playaction passing around the goaline. Joe Flacco got an easy TD pass off play action....why couldnt the Steelers????

Steeldude
09-30-2008, 10:59 AM
the offensive woes can be blamed on everyone except the defense and special teams.

a puzzling question here; why did it take the steelers 7 quarters to realize a hurry up offense would help alleviate the blitzing?

Joe Flacco got an easy TD pass off play action....why couldnt the Steelers

because the ravens weren't concerned with the steelers rushing attack. it's not like the O-line has been opening holes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
09-30-2008, 11:10 AM
because the ravens weren't concerned with the steelers rushing attack. it's not like the O-line has been opening holes.

From the game that I watched....it looked like the Ravens were selling out against the run from the 4 yard line to me.